Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

LLSix posted:

Been wearing Skullcandy IEMs at work for the past few years but I'm getting tired of replacing them once a year so I'm looking to switch to something else.

Budget - $50 but I can go over that as long as they'll last a couple of years.
Source - PC bluetooth.
Isolation Requirements - no?
Preferred Type of Headphone - bluetooth. IEM either no hook or behind the ear hook. Hooks in my ear are uncomfortable. Would be happy to try over ear headphones as long as they don't squish my ears
Past Headphones - skullcandy. I really like that the battery is in the collar so it keeps weight off my ears and lasts all day. I don't like that they fall apart in under a year.
Preferred Music - rock/comedy/irish drinking songs

These are good for the price.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm looking for basically the Bluetooth version of the Sony MDR-7506's. Does such a thing exist?

I've my pair is 18 years old and they sound great still.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm looking for basically the Bluetooth version of the Sony MDR-7506's. Does such a thing exist?

not really, closest thing out there from Sony is the Sony H.ear On 2/WH900N

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

ATH-M50 fill a similar market space and are available in Bluetooth.

Bluetooth adapters also exist, but you’ll still have the wire running down to a dongle in your pocket.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

ATH-M50 fill a similar market space and are available in Bluetooth.

Bluetooth adapters also exist, but you’ll still have the wire running down to a dongle in your pocket.

ATH-M50xBT if you don’t want to work for it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

XBenedict posted:

ATH-M50xBT if you don’t want to work for it.

Also the first result for “ath-m50 bluetooth” but whatever.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Jabra Elite Active 65t is 150 bucks on Amazon (believe they're price matching Costco) plus there's currently a 15% cash back offer if you use your Amazon Prime Visa card or Amazon Prime Store card.

Figured I'd take the plunge and at least try them. I've been looking for wireless earbuds.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's not such a big discount but refurbished 65t are also available for 120$ at Jabra's Ebay store -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jabra-Elit...=item2602f31d29

For what it's worth I bought the refurbished 45t from Jabra's e-bay store and I've had 0 issues with them (though it was only 80$ back then).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I couldnt take it any more and ordered the EX800STs... and the Moondrop A8.. AND the Sony MH755s
jesus christ.

edit: the MH755s came in, cost $7 bux shipped from japan for like 3.50. These are legit. Way way better than anything i've heard under maybe $50 bux. Maybe even 100. The cable though, jesus christ bad.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 16, 2019

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I've mentioned it before but the cables on all the MH-series IEMs are horrendous. The MH1(C) cable takes the cake for the worst cable out of the group by a mile, though. Incredibly stiff, flat cable that's also got the J-cable set up with a short left/long right setup above the split.

Speaking of great dynamics with lovely cables, I picked up a set of Beyerdynamic DTX 200 IEs. Great sound, but they have a two piece cable that's too short without the extension, and way, way too long with it. But hey, $30, I don't care. They're really good.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I’m looking for a new headset for my XBoneX and I’m kind of confused by compatibility. I’ve got the new controllers with the 3.5mm (and the adapter for the old connection as well) so pretty much any game-oriented headset with that connection should work, right? There’s so many models that say they are or are not compatible with Xbone and I can’t always tell whether that just means it has/doesn’t have an adaptor thing, is just branded differently, or if it actually won’t work.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Just about any 3.5 single or duo cable with converter should work. Just make sure they don't require a lot of juice cuz the controller doesn't supply much

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Thanks for the advice on MDR7506 replacements. I couldn't decide on what I wanted on the high end so I picked up the Plantronics 500 BT or whatever they are, the best rated gym Bluetooth headphones from Wirecutter.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I wanted to say thanks, but the music gets drowned out by static half the time with these.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

LLSix posted:

I wanted to say thanks, but the music gets drowned out by static half the time with these.

You may a defective pair. I've had a pair of these sitting around for a bit that I use primarily when I'm doing something active and don't want to care if I break my expensive IEMs. I've never had anything but clarity from these, I've even used them while running a really loud press with no sound issues.

Sorry your mileage varied.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bleh, gonna return the Jabra Elite Active 65t's. My ears are not accustomed to that style of fit. Back the drawing board I guess.

Edit: If anyone can recommend some true wireless earbuds that fit similar to Panasonic ErgoFits, I would very much would to know.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 18, 2019

Passburger
May 4, 2013

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Bleh, gonna return the Jabra Elite Active 65t's. My ears are not accustomed to that style of fit. Back the drawing board I guess.

Edit: If anyone can recommend some true wireless earbuds that fit similar to Panasonic ErgoFits, I would very much would to know.

Maybe these https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-true-wireless-earbuds?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just got the EX800STs. The earhook sucks, I can't make it stay around my drat ear. Help!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Not available in the US technically despite there being a SKU on Amazon. Would at least need to have a warranty, thanks though, I'll keep an eye out for these style of buds.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 19, 2019

runchild
May 26, 2010

Looking to replace my Polk Striker Zx headset since the band is cracking, causing the left cup to not sit correctly on my ear anymore. All attempts at repair have failed. They sounded fine to me so I could just get another set for about $40, but I’m thinking I’d like something more comfortable. Also they did break on me (after 3 years, to be fair).

Budget - $100 max, but preferably less
Source - Xbox One X
Isolation - At least some, wife watches TV around the corner and the AC can be loud. But nothing crazy, and comfort is more important.
Type - Full headset, preferably circumaural. Tried some on at Best Buy today and those almost always felt better than the supra-aural.
Tone - Not lovely? Like I said, the Strikers sounded fine to me.
Past headphones - Polk Striker Zx, Plantronics Backbeat Fit for non-gaming, mostly just Apple buds before that.

If I was just going by what I saw at Best Buy I’d be leaning towards the HyperX Cloud Pro, but I did really like the head band on the Plantronics RIG 500HX . I didn’t actually try it on but the pricier 800LX was available and is very similar. I didn’t like its fully-fabric earcups (all the fabric ones seemed sort of abrasive?) but the ones on the 500HX are a little different. I wish I could have tried them on. I'm gonna feel iffy about anything I can't try on, but I’m open to any suggestions.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

runchild posted:

Looking to replace my Polk Striker Zx headset since the band is cracking, causing the left cup to not sit correctly on my ear anymore. All attempts at repair have failed. They sounded fine to me so I could just get another set for about $40, but I’m thinking I’d like something more comfortable. Also they did break on me (after 3 years, to be fair).

Source - Xbox One X
Isolation - At least some, wife watches TV around the corner and the AC can be loud. But nothing crazy, and comfort is more important.
Type - Full headset, preferably circumaural. Tried some on at Best Buy today and those almost always felt better than the supra-aural.
Past headphones - Polk Striker Zx, Plantronics Backbeat Fit for non-gaming, mostly just Apple buds before that.

If I was just going by what I saw at Best Buy I’d be leaning towards the HyperX Cloud Pro, but I did really like the head band on the Plantronics RIG 500HX . I didn’t actually try it on but the pricier 800LX was available and is very similar. I didn’t like its fully-fabric earcups (all the fabric ones seemed sort of abrasive?) but the ones on the 500HX are a little different. I wish I could have tried them on. I'm gonna feel iffy about anything I can't try on, but I’m open to any suggestions.

if you can stretch, going to go ahead and strong suggest getting the Logitech 635.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MH94CL5?tag=rtings-tv-ps01b-20&ie=UTF8

RTINGS just put up a review, and it's surprisingly good. if not that, the G433 does come in at cheaper and is fairly decent and comes in around $75 dollars. finally there's the HyperX cloud flight which is in about the same range @ $120 new.

they're all fairly similar in performance and price, w/ the 635 being a little bit more even across the board. just from a gaming perspective I'd probably go w/ the G433 if you're needing something that brings out vocals a little bit more considering a slight emphasis there. but beyond that they're all good choices.

e: can't believe I didn't mention these, but the Sennheiser Game One is great too. doesn't have amazing bass response but everything else on it is super solid. you can pick up a refurb unit on amazon for $90 and have something that sounds great w/ pretty much anything w/o any compromises. they're cozy, durable, and sound great. I have the massdrop version (PC37X) that I use as a daily driver for work and there isn't anything much better.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 19, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

runchild posted:

Source - Xbox One X

This Sennheiser GSP 300 is a quality headset for under $100. My buddy has these, and I tested them for a couple of days and they were really good for the price. I wound up buying the GSP 600, but if I had to keep it to a $100 budget, I definitely would have bought the 300.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

runchild posted:

Source - Xbox One X

I’d go with these personally. I use them with my Xbox one and they work great.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm pretty happy with the Plantronics Back beat FIT 500's on first listen. Obviously not as good as the MDR7506's, but surprising quality given the price.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The Sony EX800St is an IEM any IEM person should own. Thanks.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
loving told you

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

My IEMs that I got 10 years ago are finally dying so it's time to get some new ones. For reference I had ultimate ears UE 900s, and they were pretty reasonable and lasted a long while. I see that logitech actually owns them now.

Budget - ~$500
Source - Probably a Samsung S10 5G when that's released. Also have a desktop DAC and wouldn't be adverse to getting another for work if it's needed to drive them.
Isolation - Good isolation needed, hence IEMs. Comfort needs to be good as well since I'll be wearing them for multiple hours at a time.
Type - IEMS
Tone - Balanced, a little heavier on the bass is fine.
Past headphones - UE 900s, HD 595s
Preferred Music - A mix of everything.

If there's something that's a step up for not too much more I'm happy to spend more. Like I said, I used my last ones for around 10 years, so I'd like something that is built to last for at least a reasonable amount of time.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

loving told you

They are not very similar to the DM6 at all. Its hard to compare the sound signatures they are so different. The EX800ST has better bass than any other IEM i've ever heard.. and soundstage as well. Not too much microdetail but I don't really care about that. These sound amazing with older mastered albums, stuff like Elton John or Michael Jackson.

The bass on these is end game. I think you can rupture your eardrum if you eq like that. I'm a basshead at heart and goddamn, just goddamn. You would need a lowrider with a bunch of 15" subwoofers to get better and even then the Sony would have better texture and dynamics.

You know. Sony needs to make another top of the line single dynamic driver IEM.

And yeah you loving told me. Also I read a lot of people on the internet loved the poo poo out of them. After like 8 years they have been out and people are still buying them. Says it all really.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 21, 2019

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I used to have a pair of AKG K702s for the past 5 or 6 years that recently got chewed up by a puppy ( :< ), I loved them because they were very comfy and I could wear them for hours.

What's a good replacement in the $250-300 range? should I just get another pair or is there something better out there? looking for Full Size, Circumaural, and Open.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Massdrop sells something similar to the 702s for $200. They also sell Sennheiser 6xx for $200 which would fit your needs I think.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Checked out the Bose SoundSport Free at my local Bose Outlet Store for 140 bucks refurb. Sound OK for non-sealing but have 2 inherent flaws that make them instant returns. The longest latency I've experienced on a bluetooth headset, like my QC35's are just about spot on with videos, but the SoundSports are just...terrible. The other flaw is the design of the master/slave system they have between the buds. The left bud will drop connection seemingly at random (though I can repeat it by covering the right earbud with my hand) and of course drop audio. For 200 bucks new, there's no way that's acceptable. The reviews I read did mention the latency but not to this extent and there was no mention of the left earbud issue. I found that out through Bose's own support forum and it's been a years long issue that hasn't ever been fixed and probably won't ever be at this point.

Hard pass. I only gave them a shot considering how much of a fan I am of the QC35's I currently own but woof.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

well, i've come to the realization that I'm no longer in need of my focal elegia's. they're currently sitting around collecting dust as I don't have that much time to use them. considering putting up a sale thread. is anyone interested?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
My PX 100-iis have succumbed to cord death and it looks like the series has been discontinued and all backstock is sold out. Are there other good options for very portable, on-ear open-back headphones? Closest options appear to be cheaper Grados or Portapros.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Anyone have experience with the Jabra Evolve 75e UC? How do they sound? I basically need something UC/MS certified because of the difference in mic quality for Skype/Teams calls.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Are there any good wireless noise canceling earbuds yet? It seems like the Bose ones have mixed reviews, and previously I’ve never really looked outside the quiet comfort series.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

florida lan posted:

My PX 100-iis have succumbed to cord death and it looks like the series has been discontinued and all backstock is sold out. Are there other good options for very portable, on-ear open-back headphones? Closest options appear to be cheaper Grados or Portapros.

Porta / Sportapros are an excellent option, as are KSC75s. Grados are a poor option due to the lengthy permanent cable. This is gonna be a really weird suggestion, but the Monoprice M300s are fantastic if you don't mind something in your ear canal. They're open planar earbuds, sort of. They're a straight ripoff of the Audeze iSine, but they're also 95% as good for 50% the price.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is basically just a brag post, but I just found a nearly flawless condition pair of Sennheiser hd 650's at a thrift store for $8 :eyepop:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

veni veni veni posted:

This is basically just a brag post, but I just found a nearly flawless condition pair of Sennheiser hd 650's at a thrift store for $8 :eyepop:

How in the actual gently caress?
I don't think I've ever seen ANY headphones at a thrift store before.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

beats when I found some 650's basically bnib @ $95 by some pawnshop on offerup. still mad at myself for not grabbing them if for nothing than reselling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

After trying on some more headphones the most comfortable headset I've worn so far has been the 2019 Razer Kraken (why doesn't anyone else use cooling gel earcups?). The only mention of them* I could find in the last 8 months of this thread is someone saying they're garbage and then failing to elaborate when asked for clarification. Could anyone speak to what might make someone consider them garbage?

*Actually the previous model (Kraken Pro V2) which doesn't have the cooling gel