Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

This just in 6 jezails vs Vampire Counts is just hilarious.

I should see if I can get a 1 kill, 0 deaths, 100% enemy loss fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Does the AI actually know how to deal with Undercities? I had a bit of panic when the High Elves found my base under Lothern that was almost single handedly fuellng my early war machine, but it's been nearly 30 turns later and they're just kinda cool with it.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
T-MINUS 10, MOTHERFUCKERS

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

How are people using undercity in the early game? I'm 8 turns in on my ikitclaw campaign (played last night after getting it updated) and have just made an undercity in telai(?the big city to the right of skavenblight?). Are people just sending agents across the map to rich cities and making under cities unconnected to your empire?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

ughhhh posted:

How are people using undercity in the early game? I'm 8 turns in on my ikitclaw campaign (played last night after getting it updated) and have just made an undercity in telai(?the big city to the right of skavenblight?). Are people just sending agents across the map to rich cities and making under cities unconnected to your empire?
Nah so, the problem I've run into with the undercities is that they're not actually very good at producing money/food without getting noticed. They're a great recon tool and also a thing that, if sufficiently established, can be the turning point in a war; if somebody declares against you, being able to pull up an assload of stacks in basically no time is huge. I don't think they're a great vehicle for getting rich, though—actually conquering cities gets you much more.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

ughhhh posted:

After about 60 turns in for me, it seems the strat is to use the doom engineer ritual and build undercities using those on the biggest cities like lothern because those give you a special workshop in the undercity which would be better to have permanently, and when that is on cooldown yeah spread some undercities out where you plan on conquering eventually to soften them up.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
In my experience, you'll want to pretty much immediately prepare a nuke under Itza(vortex) and Miriblablabla(ME), especially the latter because there's no way you're going to break Tilea's full stack+giant garrison with the units you have available by turn 12.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

In my experience, you'll want to pretty much immediately prepare a nuke under Itza(vortex) and Miriblablabla(ME), especially the latter because there's no way you're going to break Tilea's full stack+giant garrison with the units you have available by turn 12.
Naw it's pretty easy if you use a doomrocket. You can pop a gate and take out everything on top of it in one hit. If you've brought a backup stack of slaves then that first city is a pushover.

in other news: BEEP BEEP BEEP

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
loving hell it was even more satisfying than I thought it was gonna be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just ignored miragliano untuil I conquered estalia. They're not gonna win against skavenblight if they declare war on you.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

I do like how the unit card for the clan rat spears looks pretty much like the mascot for the university of Minnesota

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Naw it's pretty easy if you use a doomrocket. You can pop a gate and take out everything on top of it in one hit. If you've brought a backup stack of slaves then that first city is a pushover.
Are you referring to Magritta, capital of Estalia? Because Miragliano starts with 22 units in it at the start of the game between the army and garrison and as of writing on turn 12, that's now 34 and I've had no luck baiting the army into an ambush outside the city.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't need to make them come out, if you besiege the city they'll probably sally. And you can fight them on much better terms that way.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah, Magritta's army came at me and I knocked like half of it out with a single doom rocket. You have the tools to take it pretty early.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 19, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would still suggest not going for miragliano first because yeah their starting army is strong and it's only a two city province. Estalia is much better, four cities all of which have ports, massive economic base for you there with the port/warp reactor synergy.

But you can definitely go for it after estalia and it doesn't pose much of a threat to you while you do because skavenblight has a good garrison, which you'll want to enhance anyway because it tends to have public order problems for a while and will see regular revolts.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

Are you referring to Magritta, capital of Estalia? Because Miragliano starts with 22 units in it at the start of the game between the army and garrison and as of writing on turn 12, that's now 34 and I've had no luck baiting the army into an ambush outside the city.
Nah, Miragliano. I hit Estalia first, then around 25 I headed back east. One stack with clanrats/starting special junk/Ikit and one stack of primarily slaves. A well-placed Doomrocket absolutely annihilated the defenders. No siege equipment, (they had two stacks, and one had gone south to fight Sartosa) just cracked the gate with the rocket, piled in, made judicious use of the brass sphere/warp lightning to deal with the crush at the gate. Decisive Victory. Ikit came out with something like 300 kills.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Two-city provinces are actually pretty decent for the rats because of the food commandment actually making them net-even as far as food goes, which is almost always my limiting resource as Skaven.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's what your under empire is for, you can get food income from each under city.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
How is Ikit in melee? Also, with the nukes I'm gathering that they take ten turns to build and then they just go off automatically? Or can you set them up and then trigger them?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

Itza's easy as hell to take with Ikit. A heavy weapons team build with slave/clanrat screen doesn't register all that high on the combat balance scale, which means the garrison will generally sally, at which point you shatter them - they had a 17 stack defending against me with 4 ratling guns, 3 jezzails and a single warpfire thrower, and they were utterly wrecked (I MIGHT have tossed a doomrocket too, don't recall). Then just autoresolve the siege battle against the shattered remnants.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Giggle Goose posted:

How is Ikit in melee? Also, with the nukes I'm gathering that they take ten turns to build and then they just go off automatically? Or can you set them up and then trigger them?

Pretty good if you stick him on a doom flayer. Pretty meh if not.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

That's what your under empire is for, you can get food income from each under city.
True, that's a huge help, but it takes a bit to get rolling from them. Early two-city provinces are actually totally fine for Skaven even if they're a bit suboptimal for other races. 4-city provinces are also really nice thanks to the stacking economic bonuses, but you'll have to have some farms for them.

Actually, all around there are a lot more ways to get food as Skaven so I may be overreacting compared to earlier patches.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Is there a reason to play warhammer TW1? do these games have a story?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I have currently placed a doomsphere under every city in Athel Loren, totally invisible, primed to blow simultaneously.

This took considerably more work than just attacking them but when it detonates it is gonna be a party.

I did this. The resulting explosions are GLORIOUS.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Dpulex posted:

Is there a reason to play warhammer TW1? do these games have a story?

There's an argument that the old world campaign map is better for TW1 races than the Mortal Empires map due to the climate stuff introduced in TW2. Plus ME turn times are bad.

But some TW1 races have been revamped and have much more stuff in 2 (mainly vampire counts, but Bretonnia just got a rework).

I will summarise the plot of TW1:
Fight race appropriate enemy.
CHAOS INVASION.
Archaon dead, invasion over.
Fight everyone.

Vortex in TW2 has a bit more of a story, but ME doesn't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

True, that's a huge help, but it takes a bit to get rolling from them. Early two-city provinces are actually totally fine for Skaven even if they're a bit suboptimal for other races. 4-city provinces are also really nice thanks to the stacking economic bonuses, but you'll have to have some farms for them.

Actually, all around there are a lot more ways to get food as Skaven so I may be overreacting compared to earlier patches.

I would suggest that specifically for your first provice, estalia and its conquest gives you ample room to start building up and the food to suport it as well as the economic base you need. Miragliano is more easily conquered second and comes with a food deposit to keep you going longer term. But as skaven really like to just be fighting a lot, estalia is the better first shot.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

hardest part about playing skaven now is that your defense maps are insanely dark and sometimes you accidentally have all of your ranged units get obstructed by hills that you can't see

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i am positive that at least two of my three current mods are working, but i had to fiddle around to make that happen and i'm not sure exactly what did the trick

edit: holy poo poo, now i'm sad i NAPed the greenskins that managed to take that province :saddowns:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Is this one new?

Edit: No I guess not. I guess that’s how often I play much in Lustria.

Anno fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 19, 2019

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Most of the inner ring of Ulthuan has been taken over by a rogue army which seems to have mega-garrisons.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i'm really undecided about whether to stick ikit claw in a doomwheel

pro: doomwheel
con: his shootyhand owns and he'd be a bigger missile target

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
good ol vashnaar the stampede

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Most of the inner ring of Ulthuan has been taken over by a rogue army which seems to have mega-garrisons.

Lmao he's back, baby!!!!!!

His garrisons are indeed retarded. Is his behavior consistent with other Rogue Armies? Do they all garrison in the form of their original stack?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
New Bretonnia confederation is pretty nuts. You can have the whole thing united in 50 turns pretty easily. I snapped it up in 36.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh wow, launching the War of Skaven Annihilation loving skyrockets your friendship with all other lizardmen.

Which is exactly meaningless, because 200 friendship isn't enough to get me a fuckin' *access treaty* with a one-city faction.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Nuking a bunch of cities at once is fun but I kind of prefer having stacks of skaven spawn everywhere at once and totally loving up a province

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

In my experience, you'll want to pretty much immediately prepare a nuke under Itza(vortex) and Miriblablabla(ME), especially the latter because there's no way you're going to break Tilea's fyouull stack+giant garrison with the units you have available by turn 12.

Tilea sent 2 full stacks at me when I was just outside reinforcement range of the barracks.

Almost double my numbers, but it was an open field and my plague claws, jezzails, railings, and a doomrocket.

I didnt lose a single unit

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'm really undecided about whether to stick ikit claw in a doomwheel

pro: doomwheel
con: his shootyhand owns and he'd be a bigger missile target

i put him in his doomwheel and he immediately died and it sucked rear end. his doom flayer seems much better, and him unmounted is maybe even better than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I killed literally 1000 lizards with a single doomrocket at the gates of Itza (and about 120 ratriots, whose names will live forever).

I think the rats, especially Ikit, need a bit of a nerf, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.