Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Any recommendations on making a mustardy cream sauce? I got an idea for a dish but I've never done such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Captainsalami posted:

Any recommendations on making a mustardy cream sauce? I got an idea for a dish but I've never done such a thing.

Pan sauce or hollandaise or gravy?

Pan sauce: Just mix the mustard in before you mount the sauce with butter.

Hollandaise: Add it with the egg yolk/lemon mixture before you do the butter drizle (quick stick blender method)

Gravy: mix in after you add your stock/cream to the roux.

Edit: Here's how some other people do it.
Mustard Cream Sauce

Martha Stewart does Sauteed Chicken in Mustard-Cream Sauce

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 14, 2019

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Is New York Times Cooking worth paying for? I don't know what the quality of their recipes is like.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Invisible Ted posted:

Is New York Times Cooking worth paying for? I don't know what the quality of their recipes is like.

I pay for them and like them. They have an incredible variety of recipes. They're usually good quality and at all different skill levels. They don't have as many technique/teaching articles as Serious Eats, but the ones they do have are well written.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Bagheera posted:

I pay for them and like them. They have an incredible variety of recipes. They're usually good quality and at all different skill levels. They don't have as many technique/teaching articles as Serious Eats, but the ones they do have are well written.

That actually sounds appealing, I've been lamenting the dearth of new recipes on serious eats lately so consistent, varied, and high quality recipes from NYT might fill that

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

toplitzin posted:

Pan sauce or hollandaise or gravy?

Pan sauce: Just mix the mustard in before you mount the sauce with butter.

Hollandaise: Add it with the egg yolk/lemon mixture before you do the butter drizle (quick stick blender method)

Gravy: mix in after you add your stock/cream to the roux.

Edit: Here's how some other people do it.
Mustard Cream Sauce

Martha Stewart does Sauteed Chicken in Mustard-Cream Sauce

I've got a lot of pork and onions around so i wanna make a mustardy cream sauce with onions, pork, egg noodles, and kraut. it sounds pretty tasty.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Invisible Ted posted:

Absolutely. If nothing else having a regular feed of various cuisines I’m not familiar with is a great prompt to cook outside my comfort zone of Italian/French food. In general the quality is pretty high though, as mentioned, not as technical as some.

The ios app is pretty nice too, I’ve been using it to save links from other sites to centralise all the recipes I find and want to keep/try and haven’t had an issue with it yet.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Any recommendations for vodka sauce recipes? Everything I've found seems to require a long cooking time.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I am making coq au vin. My cast iron dutch oven I set the chicken set it seems to have contributed a very metallic taste to the sauce. Anything I can do to remove the metallic taste? I've got about 20 minutes before the sauce is supposed to be ready.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Maybe mount with butter?

If the chicken is still ok, and you have the ingredients, start reducing red wine in one pot and saute onion garlic and more herbs in another until they're floppy, reglaze with your reduced wine (however reduced it is) and add the strongest chicken stock you have, once it's tasting close to how you want it, add the chicken pieces and summer for 10 mins

For future reference long cooks with acidic liquids are contraindicated for unenameled cast iron.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

pile of brown posted:

For future reference long cooks with acidic liquids are contraindicated for unenameled cast iron.

Yeah, I've learned my lesson. I'm thinking of tossing out my dutch oven and replacing it with an enameled one cause of this sort of thing.

EDIT: I'm so pissed because the sauce is *amazing* until you get to the metallic after taste.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 15, 2019

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I've been experimenting with dried chiles and have a question. What are the keys to minimize their bitterness? Answers on the web are all over the place: remove seeds and stem completely, rinse them, don't over toast, soak in hot water (not too hot) for long enough (but not too long), pour off the soaking water, balance flavor in the final dish with sweet sour and salty flavors.

I have some bags of Ancho, pasilla, guajillo, cascabels and de arbol. I'm planning to braise a couple pounds of beef shoulder tonight in a chile sauce made with 4 ancho / 4 guajillo / 2 de arbol. Going to try a light microwave toast (ala serious eats), soak for a bit, pour off the water, then blend with some seasoned chickpea stock from last weeks hummus adventure. Anything out of line? All the chile cooking I've done in the past has had pleasantly mild bitterness, I'm just asking now because I don't want to bunk up all this pretty beef.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

captkirk posted:

I am making coq au vin. My cast iron dutch oven I set the chicken set it seems to have contributed a very metallic taste to the sauce. Anything I can do to remove the metallic taste? I've got about 20 minutes before the sauce is supposed to be ready.

Baking soda or sugar might help. Pour off a little bit of your sauce, mix a pinch in and check if it corrects the flavor. If it does, correct your big batch.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

captkirk posted:

Yeah, I've learned my lesson. I'm thinking of tossing out my dutch oven and replacing it with an enameled one cause of this sort of thing.

EDIT: I'm so pissed because the sauce is *amazing* until you get to the metallic after taste.

Keep it if you can, it's still good for deep frying or if you ever go camping

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm making roasted vegetables: sweet potato, onion, butternut squash (do I need to peel the skin off of this?), carrots, and I picked up a fennel bulb. I was going to toss it all in a bowl with olive oil and some rosemary, thyme, garlic. Will the fennel be nice, or should I just skip it. I've never had it before but it seems nice.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yes it will be nice, yes peel the skin off your butternut squash

I would probably add some courgettes too, because they’re great

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Qubee posted:

I'm making roasted vegetables: sweet potato, onion, butternut squash (do I need to peel the skin off of this?), carrots, and I picked up a fennel bulb. I was going to toss it all in a bowl with olive oil and some rosemary, thyme, garlic. Will the fennel be nice, or should I just skip it. I've never had it before but it seems nice.

Roasted fennel is pretty tasty in my opinion, but not everyone likes the flavor. You can eat it raw, so it's great in salads too. Trim the furry leaves off before you roast it, they'll burn.

If you're roasting butternut, you can actually leave the skin on. It's pretty standard to eat the skin where I'm from. You'll need to roast it for longer though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Dimloep posted:

My first thought is pectin or gelatin.

This was an excellent idea, thanks! One packet of powdered gelatin gave me the PERFECT texture. Sliceable, but luxuriously soft and smooth. Not gummy at all.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
Noice! That looks delicious, as does the rest of the spread you posted elsewhere.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

This was an excellent idea, thanks! One packet of powdered gelatin gave me the PERFECT texture. Sliceable, but luxuriously soft and smooth. Not gummy at all.

That's some pretty curd. Talk to me about the cake under it, I have a potluck this weekend and my friends are huge nerds, so I want to stealth GoT reference them.

Usually I'd just do almond cake under lemon curd, but I'm wondering what you did.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It was a "lemon brownie" recipe from someone I found on Youtube. Unfortunately it was actually not great and I wouldn't recommend it. Too dense, and I think because it has so much butter in it, it's pretty stiff at cold curd temp. The curd was the star of the show and meant that it's still good in spite of the cake base.

I'm not a cake expert, but I imagine something lighter like a genoise or your suggested almond cake would be better.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I love lemon curd, and I love lemon squares... it's hard to beat the traditional shortbread crust.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Anyone have a good go to dish to pass? I'm going to my parents for easter this Sunday and want to try something different. I was thinking of doing something like asian-y short ribs (miso and soy sauce in the cooking liquid). But that's just because someone brought miso up in this thread recently.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crosspost from DIY:

I. M. Gei posted:

Well I finally got my tree...

... and it is not the tree that I ordered.

I ordered a 3-in-1 dwarf cherry tree that grows Bing, Lapins, and Montmorency cherries. Instead I got a tree that grows Van, Rainier, and Lambert cherries.

:argh::argh::bang::argh::argh:

I mean I’m sure they’re all perfectly fine varieties, but they’re not the ones I ordered. Also some googling tells me they’re all sweet varieties, and I really wanted one tart variety in there to make pies and jellies and poo poo with.

Please convince me that these cherries are actually good and fine and that I should NOT light the entire tree on fire and send its charred corpse back to the orchard as a dark and sinister warning not to anger me again.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Have you considered contacting the orchard and telling them that you ordered a 3-in-1 dwarf cherry tree that grows Bing, Lapins, and Montmorency cherries but instead got a tree that grows Van, Rainier, and Lambert cherries?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doom Rooster posted:

Have you considered contacting the orchard and telling them that you ordered a 3-in-1 dwarf cherry tree that grows Bing, Lapins, and Montmorency cherries but instead got a tree that grows Van, Rainier, and Lambert cherries?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Bring the trees back, but also bring a chainsaw. Saw down a nearby tree and let them know what will happen if they make another mistake.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
The tree you have now is my ideal cherry tree because those are my favorite cherries. I understand wanting pie cherries, though, and I recommend you go get a tree with tart cherries.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

I contacted the orchard twice after placing my order to tell them what varieties I wanted as per their instructions, once via email and once via Amazon’s messaging system. They never replied to either message, and I don’t know if they ever even bothered to read them. I kinda doubt they’d respond to another one now.

Although it’s worth noting that it’s pretty late in the season for them to be taking orders on these trees at all. In fact just a few days before I ordered mine, they posted a message on their Home Depot product page saying they’d already stopped taking orders for 2019. I only ordered from them on Amazon because they didn’t post the same thing there.

Either way, the tree is already planted, but maybe if I play my cards right I can get my next tree from them for free?

El Jebus posted:

The tree you have now is my ideal cherry tree because those are my favorite cherries. I understand wanting pie cherries, though, and I recommend you go get a tree with tart cherries.

I just barely have enough space left in my yard for one more dwarf fruit tree, and I’m saving that space for a 2-in-1 peach tree.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 18, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

I contacted the orchard twice after placing my order to tell them what varieties I wanted as per their instructions, once via email and once via Amazon’s messaging system. They never replied to either message, and I don’t know if they ever even bothered to read them. I kinda doubt they’d respond to another one now.

Although it’s worth noting that it’s pretty late in the season for them to be taking orders on these trees at all. In fact just a few days before I ordered mine, they posted a message on their Home Depot product page saying they’d already stopped taking orders for 2019. I only ordered from them on Amazon because they didn’t post the same thing there.

Chances are that they are out then, but as someone who has spent more than a decade in the customer support industry, the absolute dumbest thing that you can do is not ask for support. Give them a chance to impress you, or piss you off. Assuming that they are going to piss you off is the worst option for both of you.

I. M. Gei posted:

Either way, the tree is already planted, but maybe if I play my cards right I can get my next tree from them for free?

This is equivalent to eating an entire plate of food at a restaurant before complaining to the manager and wanting a replacement. They MAYYYYY do this, but they are less likely to than if you hadn't planted it. If they're a good company and you said you would send it back, chances are they would have told you to keep it and then also send you the right one/something else for free.

Please, in the future, if a provider does something wrong contact them ASAP and let them fix it (or not, at which point you cab blast them all you want).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

This is equivalent to eating an entire plate of food at a restaurant before complaining to the manager and wanting a replacement. They MAYYYYY do this, but they are less likely to than if you hadn't planted it. If they're a good company and you said you would send it back, chances are they would have told you to keep it and then also send you the right one/something else for free.

Please, in the future, if a provider does something wrong contact them ASAP and let them fix it (or not, at which point you cab blast them all you want).

In my defense, the tree took two weeks to get to my house, I had already dug the hole and mixed the soil before it arrived, I was really eager to get SOMETHING in the ground, it was raining when it finally got here, and the mail guy didn’t deliver it to my house until after 6 PM for some weird bullshit reason, so it was already getting dark outside when the tree got here AND there was heavy rain predicted for last night so I was worried about my pre-dug hole being ruined before I could get it in the ground.

So... yeah. I might still file a complaint, but at this point I’m kinda looking for people to give me reasons to be happy I got these cherries instead of the ones I ordered because I don’t know poo poo about cherry varieties. Normally I’m not nearly this defeatist about stuff, but I figure maybe I can still tweak at least one of these cherries to be useful in pies or jelly with some kitchen magic, right?

... Right?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 18, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So again, reach out and see what comes of it.

You have a tree though, it's in the ground, it's yours. It's also very good. You can always get tartness and cherry flavor by mixing your sweet cherries with other tart things. Sweet cherry and rhubarb jam would probably be great. Cherry and Granny Smith apple pie would be AWESOME.

Enjoy the sweet cherries for what they are, and supplement their lack of tartness with other things that can bring that to the picture.

Edit to be more helpful:

When you reach out to them, I'd recommend you approach it like this:

"Hi there,

A few weeks back I ordered a 3-in-1 dwarf cherry tree that grows Bing, Lapins, and Montmorency cherries. I was super excited. I had dug the hole, mixed all the soil and was ready to go the moment it got here. I got a tree delivered at 6pm though, like an hour before a big storm hit, but drat did I want to get it in the ground! I was so stoked that I didn't actually bother to check that everything was as ordered... It was only after I already had it in the ground that I realized I ended up with a tree that produces Van, Rainier, and Lambert, not the three I ordered.

I know that it's already in the ground and I can't send it back. That's my bad, mea culpa. I really had my heart set on some tart cherries though. Is there anything y'all can do?

Thanks so much for your time, and in the future I'll double check before burying anything!

-Name"

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 18, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I would worry less about the bearing varieties and more about the rootstock. Dwarf vs. full-size is going to make a major difference to your yard, your house, time to bear, amount of fruit, ease of harvest, you name it. Omitting half a cup of sugar is not a big deal compared.

e: if they ship the tree you ordered, it won't be until next year. That's fine. They don't limit shipping windows because it's easier for them, they do it because you don't want to plant it for most of the year, for the good of the tree and the fruit.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 18, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

So again, reach out and see what comes of it.

You have a tree though, it's in the ground, it's yours. It's also very good. You can always get tartness and cherry flavor by mixing your sweet cherries with other tart things. Sweet cherry and rhubarb jam would probably be great. Cherry and Granny Smith apple pie would be AWESOME.

Enjoy the sweet cherries for what they are, and supplement their lack of tartness with other things that can bring that to the picture.

Edit to be more helpful:

When you reach out to them, I'd recommend you approach it like this:

"Hi there,

A few weeks back I ordered a 3-in-1 dwarf cherry tree that grows Bing, Lapins, and Montmorency cherries. I was super excited. I had dug the hole, mixed all the soil and was ready to go the moment it got here. I got a tree delivered at 6pm though, like an hour before a big storm hit, but drat did I want to get it in the ground! I was so stoked that I didn't actually bother to check that everything was as ordered... It was only after I already had it in the ground that I realized I ended up with a tree that produces Van, Rainier, and Lambert, not the three I ordered.

I know that it's already in the ground and I can't send it back. That's my bad, mea culpa. I really had my heart set on some tart cherries though. Is there anything y'all can do?

Thanks so much for your time, and in the future I'll double check before burying anything!

-Name"

Thanks for this. I’ll message them on Amazon later today. If I don’t hear back from them after two or three days, I’ll email them too.

Anne Whateley posted:

I would worry less about the bearing varieties and more about the rootstock. Dwarf vs. full-size is going to make a major difference to your yard, your house, time to bear, amount of fruit, ease of harvest, you name it. Omitting half a cup of sugar is not a big deal compared.

If I remember right, all of this company’s X-in-1 trees are dwarf trees, so I think I’m good there. Although I don’t really know how to tell a dwarf rootstock from a standard one.

Anne Whateley posted:

e: if they ship the tree you ordered, it won't be until next year. That's fine. They don't limit shipping windows because it's easier for them, they do it because you don't want to plant it for most of the year, for the good of the tree and the fruit.

I’m aware of that. I knew there was a possibility I’d be getting a leftover tree when I ordered it since it’s so late in the season, so I’m not entirely surprised I didn’t get exactly what I wanted. I’m a little bummed about the lack of tarts, but I’m not surprised. Mostly I’m happy to have a tree.

I will shoot them a message though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can't tell by looking, it should have said on the same label where it said the bearing varieties.

If this whole thing doesn't work out, go with a more reputable grower instead of some Amazon operation. Stark Bros. is the #1 afaik. There's a lot they don't have on their site out of season, check back in season

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 19, 2019

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Am I the only person who didn’t know you could get cherry trees that put out different kinds of cherries? Hell, I have a (non-dwarf) Yoshino cherry tree and I’m not even sure it produces any fruit at all. How does the multiple thing work? Grafting?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LongSack posted:

Am I the only person who didn’t know you could get cherry trees that put out different kinds of cherries? Hell, I have a (non-dwarf) Yoshino cherry tree and I’m not even sure it produces any fruit at all. How does the multiple thing work? Grafting?

Grafting. It works pretty well for citrus too, get a small tree that makes lemons, limes etc.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Either grafting or budding. Tl;dr but very cool https://www.starkbros.com/growing-guide/article/science-of-grafting

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Anne Whateley posted:

You can't tell by looking, it should have said on the same label where it said the bearing varieties.

If this whole thing doesn't work out, go with a more reputable grower instead of some Amazon operation. Stark Bros. is the #1 afaik. There's a lot they don't have on their site out of season, check back in season

This is the company I ordered from.

https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding...ab=&vasStoreID=

They’re a pretty big supplier for Home Depot, but their customer reviews are... uhh... hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

I. M. Gei posted:

This is the company I ordered from.

https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding...ab=&vasStoreID=

They’re a pretty big supplier for Home Depot, but their customer reviews are... uhh... hmm

If they sent you the wrong item and don't acknowledge your good-faith attempts at communication you can probably call your bank or credit card co and tell them you don't want to pay for it after all.