Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Pretty happy that we're away to Barca first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

I wonder if they will move the Newcastle fixture up a day. Given Liverpool's schedule playing the 21st, 26th, 1st, 5th, and then 7th, seems almost the best it could possibly be from a rest/rotation perspective. Having said that, having to play the 2nd leg on the 7th right after playing on the 5th would be brutal.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It's going to be so incredibly Spursy when Spurs sneak past Ajax to make the CL final... only to lose to Barca or Liverpool and drop out of the top four in the final matchweek because they're forced to use Luke Amos and Oliver Skipp as their starting midfielders. But hey, they'd have to be favorites for the Europa League next year.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

It's going to be so incredibly Spursy when Spurs sneak past Ajax to make the CL final... only to lose to Barca or Liverpool and drop out of the top four in the final matchweek because they're forced to use Luke Amos and Oliver Skipp as their starting midfielders. But hey, they'd have to be favorites for the Europa League next year.

At this point my full expectation is Poch will call his kid up from the U18s to help solidify a midfield pairing of U 18/U23 against Barca.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

gtkor posted:

I wonder if they will move the Newcastle fixture up a day. Given Liverpool's schedule playing the 21st, 26th, 1st, 5th, and then 7th, seems almost the best it could possibly be from a rest/rotation perspective. Having said that, having to play the 2nd leg on the 7th right after playing on the 5th would be brutal.

That's never happened before so no reason to think it would now

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/uefa-rule-changes-man-city-16151204

:cry:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Crossposting from videos thread

https://twitter.com/DrawtyDevil/status/1118794459129548800

Also the dogpile on chaz is a bit weird after he clarified his first post. VAR does change the emotional charge when you think you've scored and it's being reviewed, or a penalty is given then checked, or suddenly a penalty etc.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Is City-itis still a thing? They’re winning trophies and not bankrupt.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Bundy posted:

Crossposting from videos thread

https://twitter.com/DrawtyDevil/status/1118794459129548800

Also the dogpile on chaz is a bit weird after he clarified his first post. VAR does change the emotional charge when you think you've scored and it's being reviewed, or a penalty is given then checked, or suddenly a penalty etc.

The "emotional charge" isn't any different than when the ref goes over to have an in-depth discussion with the linesman about the metaphysical relationship between the ball and the goal line and whether the ball crossed it or not. The end result is the same and those crying about VAR changing the method of delivery are just upset that there's now a second level of verification for the rules now.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

But now it's not the same game everywhere! My seventh division match in thirdworldistan can't afford VAR!

It has never even had linesmen, hell some times it's even to much to ask to have loving nets in the goal. This argument is dumb.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Simone Poodoin posted:

But now it's not the same game everywhere! My seventh division match in thirdworldistan can't afford VAR!

It has never even had linesmen, hell some times it's even to much to ask to have loving nets in the goal. This argument is dumb.

rude

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Champions League 18/19 Knockout Rounds: Pay to play until VAR takes it away

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Dutch FA just announced that the whole Eredivisie matchday before Ajax play will be moved to a later datr so that Ajax wil get extra rest for the cl games

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

oliwan posted:

The Dutch FA just announced that the whole Eredivisie matchday before Ajax play will be moved to a later datr so that Ajax wil get extra rest for the cl games

Have Feyenoord complained and tried to get the games moved back to be absolute cunts about it?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

oliwan posted:

Poch called on the FA to do the same thing in his press conference, said the FA should make sure Spurs get whatever treatment Ajax get.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Can't disagree with Poch on that one.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Moktaro posted:

Champions League 18/19 Knockout Rounds: Pay to play until VAR takes it away

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This version is better

https://streamja.com/ZM06

Pro click

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shoren posted:

The "emotional charge" isn't any different than when the ref goes over to have an in-depth discussion with the linesman about the metaphysical relationship between the ball and the goal line and whether the ball crossed it or not. The end result is the same and those crying about VAR changing the method of delivery are just upset that there's now a second level of verification for the rules now.

Of course it's different. Ref chats with linesmen over things don't occur anywhere near as much as VAR gets involved and those chats don't last as long as VAR reviews do. I'm not making a case against VAR here, I'm just pointing out that it does make the match experience different and for those with an emotional stake in the match, it's real and is another thing that can either be elating or soul destroying. Are you honestly loving arguing that there's nothing inherently new or different in going shitfuckbastard nuts over Sterling slotting in a potential hat trick goal and winner in the 92nd minute and the scenes that followed, there's no immediate or slightly delayed linesman flag, only for a minute or so later to have that dashed? Aguero was millimeteres offside I can't even blame the linesman for not spotting it.

"Those crying about VAR..." is you just being contrary or soulless. Chaz wasn't "crying about VAR" he was crying about the emotional effect that VAR has added to the game, in the moment, as VAR dashed his elation. He was upset VAR ruined what for a good 60s+ was a last gasp winner to go to the next round in a match where Pep had bizarrely set City up with some galaxy brained tinkering that led to them conceding 3 away goals. It is perfectly valid to be emotionally dashed by than and not think VAR is something we shouldn't have. If I, a dyed in the wool United fan, can empathise with him, you can too or you're just being a massive dick. Saying VAR changes nothing either in match flow or in the emotion of the fans enjoying the match is just flat out wrong.

Also gently caress you for making me post in solidarity with a City fan.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 19, 2019

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Bundy posted:

Of course it's different. Ref chats with linesmen over things don't occur anywhere near as much as VAR gets involved and those chats don't last as long as VAR reviews do. I'm not making a case against VAR here, I'm just pointing out that it does make the match experience different and for those with an emotional stake in the match, it's real and is another thing that can either be elating or soul destroying. Are you honestly loving arguing that there's nothing inherently new or different in going shitfuckbastard nuts over Sterling slotting in a potential hat trick goal and winner in the 92nd minute and the scenes that followed, there's no immediate or slightly delayed linesman flag, only for a minute or so later to have that dashed?

"Those crying about VAR..." is you just being contrary or soulless. Chaz wasn't "crying about VAR" he was crying about the emotional effect that VAR has added to the game, in the moment, as VAR dashed his elation. He was upset VAR ruined what for a good 60s+ was a last gasp winner to go to the next round in a match where Pep had bizarrely set City up with some galaxy brained tinkering that led to them conceding 3 away goals. It is perfectly valid to be emotionally dashed by than and not think VAR is something we shouldn't have. If I, a dyed in the wool United fan, can empathise with him, you can too or you're just being a massive dick. Saying VAR changes nothing either in match flow or in the emotion of the fans enjoying the match is just flat out wrong.

Also gently caress you for making me post in solidarity with a City fan.

Fucken yikes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Nice meltdown.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Xabi posted:

Nice meltdown.

This stopped being funny pre Gerrard slip.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/1118937428318937088?s=20

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

At least No Deal Brexit is delayed so supporters from each side will actually be able to watch the games.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

They did the same to United fans, I don’t understand Barca’s decision on it other than that they gamble on day trippers making up the majority of the Old Trafford away support and there will be no real comeback for them?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Would have also accepted sound of silence when it cut to Pep's face

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Apparently that is the price of all their non league tickets for non season ticket holders. Although it would be perfectly justified as a way to deter belligerents from entering their city.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

As a sucker who pays $160/ticket to watch the New York Jets poo poo up the field, I honestly don't find that pricing for a UCL semi-final between two exciting as gently caress squads all that exorbitant?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

As a sucker who pays $160/ticket to watch the New York Jets poo poo up the field, I honestly don't find that pricing for a UCL semi-final between two exciting as gently caress squads all that exorbitant?

There’s 8 home games a season for the Jets, Liverpool will wind up playing 30+

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Diva Cupcake posted:

lol

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Diva Cupcake posted:

lmao

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

There’s 8 home games a season for the Jets, Liverpool will wind up playing 30+

Eh, really good tickets to a regular season Red Sox game are like $100 a pop. European owners just haven't realized they can soak their fans for as much yet.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Eh, really good tickets to a regular season Red Sox game are like $100 a pop. European owners just haven't realized they can soak their fans for as much yet.

More that fans over here aren't as willing to be bent over a barrel as US sports fans are

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

At the end of the day, none of us own a football club (your 1 ceremonial share in some Spanish 9th tier club doesn't count). Should always take the side of the people actually turning up when it comes to ticket prices,/subsidized rail, etc.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

gtkor posted:

At the end of the day, none of us own a football club (your 1 ceremonial share in some Spanish 9th tier club doesn't count). Should always take the side of the people actually turning up when it comes to ticket prices,/subsidized rail,etc.

What does your mum have to do with ticket prices?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

What does your mum have to do with ticket prices?

Shes more the replacement bus service tbh

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I'll never recover from this

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Total Meatlove posted:

They did the same to United fans, I don’t understand Barca’s decision on it other than that they gamble on day trippers making up the majority of the Old Trafford away support and there will be no real comeback for them?

Day trippers don't get away tickets. The away club gets to allocate them and it will be on a loyalty basis based upon previous attendance.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The 2-3 challenges a game would be ideal with VAR. Also the elation to depression is hilarious and awesome and a good thing for the emotional aspect. You'll love it when you're on the other end and feel crushed and then all of a sudden lifted after a decision is reversed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Speaking from experience, it was pretty amazing to have the goal chalked off.