Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I really hate the upstream speed offerings here in Ontario. If you're not in downtown Toronto its really hard to get anything faster than 10mbps. I'm at the point where I might get a business account with Cogeco or something instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

I get gigabit Internet for $55 so you're definitely being screwed there. It was an offer straight on their website too, not even a special deal. Doubt it's available anymore though.

Well, technically I am getting internet for $55 (or whatever it is) as well, is just that they shoved down my throat TV as well for $25. Not that I'm still not getting screwed, I totally am, but heh. Still better than no internet at all, since that would be my only other option.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Volguus posted:

Bell has quietly increased my internet bill by $5. It's not much but it is unsettling. Still is a good promotion price of $80 for gigabit but man ...

Don't like the price increase? Switch to a competitor! Oh wait, no, they did the same thing.

Seriously, is there anything we can do about this? You can't vote with your wallet, because all of them are the same price. You can bitch to retentions and maybe get a deal, but they're just going to jack it up by another $5 with no justification again next time. You can bitch to the CRTC and they'll push their glasses up and be like "They gave you appropriate notification (in the form of 6 point font on your last bill) so there's nothing we can do."

Canadians are too polite. What can we actually do to say this isn't appropriate?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Start a campaign to nationalize our communications infrastructure.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm no good at organizing, but I will totally cheerlead any grass roots endeavor you start. :patriot:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah my 2 year Bell deal is coming to and end in the next week or two, not looking forward to doing the retentions dance.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Tagra posted:

Don't like the price increase? Switch to a competitor! Oh wait, no, they did the same thing.

Do Teksavvy and Start or any of the other indies still exist where you are?

They don't have gigabit yet anywhere and Rogers/Bell like jerking them around when it comes to service issues but they've been solid offerings in my experience, and they raise their prices on the rare occasions when they have to rather than "because they can", and yet SOMEHOW a ton of Canadians prefer to keep subscribing to Rogers and Bell and complaining rather than switching to one of them.

It boggles my mind. If people (not you specifically, this is just a thought I've had a lot and you reminded me) are going to talk like price-sensitive consumers I don't get why they don't act like it, and if they don't, in general, act like it then the CRTC's approach to Internet policy is never going to work.

(maybe now that the government is FINALLY getting around to overriding Max Bernier's policy direction some of that stuff might be rethought.)

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Tagra posted:

There are no competitors. It's either Bell or bust. So yeah, i just have to bend over and plead them to be gentle.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

TekSavvy and the other resellers simply don’t offer the same quality of service. If you’re willing to deal with various aspects of that so you can pay less, great. I’m not.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
We should do something to fight this monopoly but also let me continue to pay the monopolys lawyers.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If I'm not getting my service why even

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

The Gunslinger posted:

I really hate the upstream speed offerings here in Ontario. If you're not in downtown Toronto its really hard to get anything faster than 10mbps. I'm at the point where I might get a business account with Cogeco or something instead.

Move to Ottawa.
:|

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Speaking of Ottawa, I received an e-mail from TekSavvy urging me to send a form letter to my MP:

https://paylesstoconnect.ca/?utm_ca...387809#new-mode

quote:

[recipient name will go here] M.P.
House of Commons
Parliament Buildings
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6

CC: Pam Miller, Director General, Telecommunications and Internet Policy Branch, ISED;  Hon. Minister Navdeep Bains; Ian Scott, Chairperson and Chief Executive Officer, CRTC

Dear [recipient name will go here],

RE: [submission:values:email_subject]

As a constituent in your riding, I am writing to express my frustration with the high price of internet and cell phone services, and to voice my support for the government's new Policy Direction to improve the affordability of these services for Canadians.

Canadians simply require these services to stay connected at work and at home. Yet we pay too much and have very little choice. The market is controlled by a few large companies who take advantage of us and keep prices high. The Government of Canada and the CRTC have a responsibility to protect consumers by ensuring we have real choice and affordable options. It's in the best interests of all Canadians.

The current system isn't working. The CRTC needs to better serve Canadians, and put our interests first - ahead of the large telecom companies. I want and expect the CRTC to promote competition and affordability and to be held accountable for its actions. Otherwise, we won't have any real choice and my bills will continue to eat up more and more of my household budget.

As your constituent, I am respectfully asking that you act to support the new Policy Direction and to protect consumer interests.

Thank you for hearing my concerns, I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
[your name will go here]

[your email address will go here]
[your location will go here]

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

This looks interesting:

https://twitter.com/privacylawyer/status/1117884896553263104

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I always wondered about those

How can they even point to any one person as the downloader

I could say my neighbours connected to my wifi and downloaded it, is the onus on us or them to prove it ?

I suppose its probably part of the ISP contract you sign. Saying anything done on your ip address is your responsibility or some such ?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Wasn't the entire point of the ruling some years back to tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What law changed here that allows them to do it in Canada without actively naming you?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Blue On Blue posted:

I always wondered about those

How can they even point to any one person as the downloader

I could say my neighbours connected to my wifi and downloaded it, is the onus on us or them to prove it ?

I suppose its probably part of the ISP contract you sign. Saying anything done on your ip address is your responsibility or some such ?

Perjury carries criminal penalties compared to just a civil judgement.

mewse
May 2, 2006

EngineerJoe posted:

Perjury carries criminal penalties compared to just a civil judgement.

Innocent until proven guilty, where is their proof? They have an IP address, an IP address is not a person

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mewse posted:

Innocent until proven guilty, where is their proof? They have an IP address, an IP address is not a person

They're suing, it's a civil case. Burden of proof is different.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Visiting my wife’s relatives and the DSL here is 0.74/0.34 300-1200ms. Thanks Bell

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

cowofwar posted:

Visiting my wife’s relatives and the DSL here is 0.74/0.34 300-1200ms. Thanks Bell

Bell says you're most welcome and please pay the $130/mo bill on time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

cowofwar posted:

Same thing here, I've seen some get upwards of 8mbps down but that's rare. Thank god for Eastlink, but their uploads still don't exceed 10-12mbps. I could easily go on a violent rampage trying to explain to people why to get rid of bell DSL as it's a slap in the face and they're basically laughing at us but they've "been with bell for years" or "never had any trouble". Fuckers.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

codo27 posted:

Same thing here, I've seen some get upwards of 8mbps down but that's rare. Thank god for Eastlink, but their uploads still don't exceed 10-12mbps. I could easily go on a violent rampage trying to explain to people why to get rid of bell DSL as it's a slap in the face and they're basically laughing at us but they've "been with bell for years" or "never had any trouble". Fuckers.

Bell suddenly offered twice the speed and bandwidth for a lower price when I went and set up my parents for Teksavvy install. Of course if I hadn't done that, they never would have gotten anything from Bell.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Golluk posted:

Bell suddenly offered twice the speed and bandwidth for a lower price when I went and set up my parents for Teksavvy install. Of course if I hadn't done that, they never would have gotten anything from Bell.

Sticking with Teksavvy after that?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Bell routinely offers "ultra" speeds to complainers in my area and of course they fall for it, when they obviously can do nothing further with their speeds at all. loving fourth reich telecom. I hate them. I hate that here in the city, their fibreop is the only thing worth having as well

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I still think Bell is trying to figure wtf they're going to do outside dense urban areas. Rogers currently has the advantage of DOCSIS working fairly well, and at high speeds, even on older cable infrastructure. Bell has... VSDL2. I live in a town of about 10k people and Rogers has been going hog burying fibre along the main streets in town, during winter no less, and I'm not sure what their end game is yet. Bell has done nothing. Their lovely little beaten up brown yard bollards look like no human has touched them in decades. Rogers reps are dropping cards in my mail trying to sway me away from Start.ca with promises of cheap internet and hookers and Bell is absent.

8ender fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 25, 2019

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
TELUS saw the writing on the wall years ago and is rolling out FTTH everywhere. Using small cities as practice to perfect the rollout method.

DSL is a dead end and Bell is going to have to do some major catching up.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I seen Bell is rolling out internet via LTE to cottage country in Ontario...at a *promotional* price of 60 bucks and 80 after 6 months, for 25mbps/1 up. Thats pathetic. Not to mention theres like a 350gb cap. Caps shouldn't be a thing. Give people some kind of reasonable speed that I'm sure LTE is capable of (not to mention incoming 5g) and that solves all woes. Put in a tower or two for places like home where signal is poo poo. SPEND YOUR ILL GOTTEN MONEY YOU BLUE BASTARDS

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

less than three posted:

TELUS saw the writing on the wall years ago and is rolling out FTTH everywhere. Using small cities as practice to perfect the rollout method.

DSL is a dead end and Bell is going to have to do some major catching up.

Telus isn’t rolling out ftth everywhere. They’re focused on large cities and mdu’s and the rest they’re hoping to move to wireless at some point. There is not enough profit for telus to roll out fiber everywhere. Once you get out of any population centre bigger than 100k people you barely see any fiber.

Agreed that dsl is a dead tech but they really don’t want to overbuild every small town with fiber. The cost is extreme.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nitr0 posted:

Telus isn’t rolling out ftth everywhere. They’re focused on large cities and mdu’s and the rest they’re hoping to move to wireless at some point. There is not enough profit for telus to roll out fiber everywhere. Once you get out of any population centre bigger than 100k people you barely see any fiber.

Agreed that dsl is a dead tech but they really don’t want to overbuild every small town with fiber. The cost is extreme.

Not literally everywhere, but they have a bunch of small places already. Hardly need to be 100k.

quote:

Abbotsford
Armstrong
Burnaby
Castlegar
Central Saanich
Chemainus
Chilliwack
Comox
Courtenay
Creston
Cumberland
Dawson Creek
Delta
Duncan
Fernie
Fort St. John
Gibsons
Grand Forks
Hope
Hudson's Hope
Kamloops
Kelowna
Kimberley
Kitimat
Lake Country
Langley City
Merritt
Mission
Moricetown
North Saanich
North Vancouver
Oak Bay
Oliver
Osoyoos
Peachland
Pemberton
Pender Harbour
Penticton
Port Alberni
Port Coquitlam
Port Hardy
Port McNeill
Port Moody
Powell River
Queensborough
Quesnel
Revelstoke
Richmond
Salmon Arm
Sechelt
Sooke
Spider Lake
Summerland
Surrey
Terrace
Tofino
Ucluelet
Vancouver
Victoria
Vernon
Westshore
White Rock
Williams Lake

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
The majority of those are not that small or are very close together. Especially the island communities.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Or they are physically small but have sufficient population density both in them and nearby to make it worthwhile. Thinking of North Van here.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Grand Forks and Creston, and to a much lesser extent, places like Quesnel and Williams Lake disagree with that.

Doing those two tiny west Kootenay towns implies they'll fill in others, they're nothing special themselves. (Unless, unbeknownst to me, the towns subsidized.it.)

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

James Baud posted:

Grand Forks and Creston, and to a much lesser extent, places like Quesnel and Williams Lake disagree with that.

Doing those two tiny west Kootenay towns implies they'll fill in others, they're nothing special themselves. (Unless, unbeknownst to me, the towns subsidized.it.)

They've got Quesnel and William's Lake but not Prince George???

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Bell just raised the rates for un-bundled lines (UNE) from about ~$15 to $30. Wholesalers/CLECs are gonna feel the pain on this one.

bigmandan fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 1, 2019

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Williams loving Lake has FTTH, get the gently caress out of here. I got legitimately trapped in Williams Lake for a week due to snow and they have FTTH.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's easy when there is only one H.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

McGavin posted:

It's easy when there is only one H.

Fibre to THE home after all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Antioch posted:

Williams loving Lake has FTTH, get the gently caress out of here. I got legitimately trapped in Williams Lake for a week due to snow and they have FTTH.

So you can binge on Netflix for a week when you're trapped in snow! :v: