Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

What do you think is more likely with that arena sequence

- The jedi and the clones traveled separately, and just coincidentally the jedi all got to the arena like four minutes faster.

- They got there at the same time but the clone commander was a dickhead who intentionally let some jedi get shot before finally bailing them out.

you know the logistics of this scene never occurred to me and now I hate it thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

skasion posted:

what is shown on screen and trying to understand it.
what is shown on screen is the clumsy necessity of moving the plot forward so that the end of ep3 becomes the beginning of ep4.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

this is bad faith argumentation basically. People got buttmad about Phantom Menace being not as good as their own idea of Star Wars and began to say things like “Lucas is an idiot/incompetent” and “Lucas’ movies were only good because of [other person conveniently not working on these movies]” and then started out looking at the other prequels in a way that would support these prejudices, instead of paying attention to what is shown on screen and trying to understand it.

Like, Padme’s death is LITERALLY explained in the dialogue. Palpatine tells Vader that he, Vader, killed her. She didn’t die of a “broken heart” (this phrase never appears in the movie; it’s just a joke based on Portman’s terrible delivery of the line “Anakin, you’re breaking my heart!!!!” earlier when he breaks her heart, a while before he kills her, which he does).

first of all, lol

secondly, nah

finally, lol

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just want a two hour movie of the Darth Vader scene in Rogue One. Just non stop intensity of a relentless Vader completely wrecking his way into a spaceship. Just give it the plot of The Raid: Redemption or whatever, who cares.

Or do like Alien: Isolation except Darth Vader is stalking around ready to ruin you.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
yes let’s trust the emperor

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

FogHelmut posted:

I just want a two hour movie of the Darth Vader scene in Rogue One. Just non stop intensity of a relentless Vader completely wrecking his way into a spaceship. Just give it the plot of The Raid: Redemption or whatever, who cares.

Or do like Alien: Isolation except Darth Vader is stalking around ready to ruin you.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Moola posted:

you know the logistics of this scene never occurred to me and now I hate it thank you

Yoda says earlier that he's going to visit the clones so yes, they are traveling separately and from different planets, so one of them is probably going to arrive before the other.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mooey Cow posted:

Yoda says earlier that he's going to visit the clones so yes, they are traveling separately and from different planets, so one of them is probably going to arrive before the other.

thanks I hate it!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Padme died from the force-powered deep dicking he gave her, and spraying his poison jizzichlorians all up in them guts.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
"Good job!" he says solemnly to himself, having once again failed to sway anyone's opinions on the Star Wars prequels :smith:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

skasion posted:

this is bad faith argumentation basically. People got buttmad about Phantom Menace being not as good as their own idea of Star Wars and began to say things like “Lucas is an idiot/incompetent” and “Lucas’ movies were only good because of [other person conveniently not working on these movies]” and then started out looking at the other prequels in a way that would support these prejudices, instead of paying attention to what is shown on screen and trying to understand it.

Like, Padme’s death is LITERALLY explained in the dialogue. Palpatine tells Vader that he, Vader, killed her. She didn’t die of a “broken heart” (this phrase never appears in the movie; it’s just a joke based on Portman’s terrible delivery of the line “Anakin, you’re breaking my heart!!!!” earlier when he breaks her heart, a while before he kills her, which he does).

Nah Padme simply "lost the will to live" because of Anakin's actions, it was terrible writing and Lucas's attempt i guess to show the audience how their love was so pure that she could literally die because of it. The whole point of Palpatine telling Vader he killed her was to show what a manipulative bastard old Palpy is.

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating and gets everywhere. :argh:

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Xtra Innings Lovin posted:

I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating and gets everywhere. :argh:

Padme, rolling her eyes, "I know! Tell me about it!"

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Zane posted:

quintessential nerd sperging (sorry for the discriminatory language). it doesn't matter if you theorycraft the pseudo-physical mechanics behind it. none of it works dramatically on the screen.

Please don't post hat speech on this thread sir

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

star war beta max posted:

Please don't post hat speech on this thread sir

Shut yer face, you low-brimmed porkpie bitch.

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Shut yer face, you low-brimmed porkpie bitch.

Enjoy your probation....... :munch:

Edit:can't seem to find the report button, mods?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Enjoy your probation....... :munch:

Edit:can't seem to find the report button, mods?

you need plat

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mooey Cow posted:

Mooey Cow posted:

"Good job!" he says solemnly to himself, having once again failed to sway anyone's opinions on the Star Wars prequels :smith:

I don't think you understand. The logical inconsistencies that people on the internet cite as what's "wrong" with the prequels--they aren't what makes them bad. A child destroying a large space cruiser single-handed in TPM, the clones arriving 10 minutes after the jedi in AOTC, how Padme actually dies in ROTS, it doesn't matter. Even if you logic them out, it doesn't change the fact that, from a filmmaking perspective, the prequel trilogy as a whole is sloppily written, weakly shot, and relies on a glut of CGI that aged poorly.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The glut of CGI was poor 20 years ago, everyone hated it then. It didn't have to age.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Being able to admit to being a SW fan, putting Jedi as your religion, making SW references in social situations, multiple watching of SW movies... you can forget about all that after one more average SW movie. Maybe 2 if you're lucky.

"SW" stands for "small weenie"

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

skasion posted:

Anakin is sucking the life out of her from a distance in order to keep himself alive. He doesn’t realize he’s doing it, but he is. The editing in the scene directly suggests this. Her heartbeat ceases right at the moment that Vader begins to breathe. “It seems, in your anger, you killed her” — Palpatine, who couldn’t possibly know that she was dying unless he can sense in the Force what is going on. He didn’t arrive on Mustafar until after Padmé and Obi-wan left and knew nothing of Anakin choking her. “I couldn’t have!” Vader responds. “She was alive — I felt it!” He was connected to her in the Force and then she died and he was resurrected.

The “broken heart” thing is a meme. Padmé was unwittingly killed by her husband’s anger.

I just assumed she died while he was in a coma and that was them showing it to you.

Not a literal 1:1 second to second side by side replay of time because I'm not a crazy person.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
padme died because she watched the star wars prequels ans they were freakin bad lmao

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

skasion posted:

I can't dispute this as a reading, and it seems to be a valid reading, but when I read it a sense of dread hits me and my insides shrivel up and a voice beckons from inside me "ugh thats so friggin lame".

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

piratepilates posted:

I can't dispute this as a reading, and it seems to be a valid reading, but when I read it a sense of dread hits me and my insides shrivel up and a voice beckons from inside me "ugh thats so friggin lame".

Search your feelings, you know Lucas literally had her die of sadness.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Finally caved and watched the trailer. If this is the best, most tantalizing footage they could scrape together, the movie is going to suck pretty epically.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I thought the intent behind him saying Padme's death was Anakin's doing was supposed to put us in Annie's shoes and make us sympathize with his plight, because despite denying it aloud he has no idea if he really did or not and neither do we. It's not just possible, but feasible, and he knows that.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What happened to Jar Jar in Revenge of the Sith anyways? He basically disappeared from the movies by then right?

He should have delivered Annie's babies instead of that dumb robot imo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

What happened to Jar Jar in Revenge of the Sith anyways? He basically disappeared from the movies by then right?

He should have delivered Annie's babies instead of that dumb robot imo

He served as padme's proxy in the Senate while she was pregnant and was the one who proposed ceding emergency powers to sheev which allowed him to take power

Best part of the movie by the way

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

SciFiDownBeat posted:

He served as padme's proxy in the Senate while she was pregnant and was the one who proposed ceding emergency powers to sheev which allowed him to take power

Yeah but imagine how much more epic it would be if he also pulled the babbies out of padme and be like "Uh oh! Twin babbies" and drop one on the floor.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah but imagine how much more epic it would be if he also pulled the babbies out of padme and be like "Uh oh! Twin babbies" and drop one on the floor.

Yoda from afar: "No... there is... another."

e: alternately "No One's Ever Really Gone."

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Finally caved and watched the trailer. If this is the best, most tantalizing footage they could scrape together, the movie is going to suck pretty epically.

Did you somehow miss the part where Ray does a backflip

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

the part where Ray does a backflip

THIS CHRISTMAS

*vwoosh pew pew zoom*

RAY DOES A BACKFLIP

*wide shots of generic landscapes with sci fi stuff in the background*

EVEN IF YOU DONT WANT TO SEE THIS YOUR KIDS OR lovely FRIENDS WILL INSIST

*palpatine cackles*

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

TheMostFrench posted:

EVEN IF YOU DONT WANT TO SEE THIS YOUR KIDS OR lovely FRIENDS WILL INSIST

*palpatine cackles*

yeah :ughh:

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
fart wars: the rise of shitewalker

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Ok, where does it say the emperor's name was Sheev? And, is it short for Sheeven?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I can't pretend to care about Scar Warts anymore :shrug:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Vim Fuego posted:

Ok, where does it say the emperor's name was Sheev? And, is it short for Sheeven?

Sheeverus actually.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

I can't pretend to care about Scar Warts anymore :shrug:

your word play proves you are cool and do not care about car roars anymore

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Im here for the star whores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU