Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

AccountSupervisor posted:

According to the new EU he essentially is already has been established as setting the entire events of the new trilogy in motion upon his death.

IIRC, in the Aftermath book series the Emperor had a secret apprentice who was to carry out a contingency plan that basically had him stage the Battle of Jaku so that the planet could be detonated and destroy both the Empire and Rebellion, therefore resetting the conflict somewhat. Palpatine believed if the Empire could not keep him alive it had ultimately failed and should not continue.

He had an "Observatory" built in the core of Jakku, one of many that was searcing for an unknown dark side presence in the Unkown Regions(assuming Snoke). A Sith ritual was attempted to detonate the planet but is interrupted. The secret apprentice(Rax) is killed but tasks another to take the Emperors yacht and rendevouz with the last remaining Super Star Destroyer in the Unkown Regions. She does, meets up with a young Hux and his dad and vow to execute the Emperors "First Order" to rebuild the Empire.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Aftermath:_Empire%27s_End

I have a feeling at least part of this will be involved in whatever the Emperors role in Ep 9 is.

I was going to post "source your quotes" but saw you did so instead:

:getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

30 and 19 is fine.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Vintersorg posted:

30 and 19 is fine.

Legally sure, sexually attracted to sure, but it's still always odd when a fully grown adult wants to be in a relationship with someone who's just becoming one and likely still new to most adult experiences (relationships, where they are in their life etc).

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Just Chamber posted:

Legally sure, sexually attracted to sure, but it's still always odd when a fully grown adult wants to be in a relationship with someone who's just becoming one and likely still new to most adult experiences (relationships, where they are in their life etc).

he's a space wizard general who killed his dad, he's got bigger signs of oddness than a may-december romance that's not even in the movies

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

he's a space wizard general who killed his dad, he's got bigger signs of oddness than a may-december romance that's not even in the movies

Oh i'm not talking films when i say all that. I dont even think Kylo is shown to have those sort of feelings for Rey unless I missed some obvious plot point. She get's all flustered when his shirts off so maybe she's supposed to be entertaining those thoughts? Yes Kylo wants her to join him but I always just took that as because she's the only other force user (besides Luke) in the galaxy left alive at that point. Maybe there's just an obvious romantic plot point between them that i've been blind to.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Just Chamber posted:

Kylo hasnt actually tried anything with Rey in the movies right? As much as some fans get wet over the idea. Like i dont even remember any sort of awkward scene where it's clear he wanted to

There's some thematic subtext during the interrogation scene where he's like "I can take what I want" but in literal terms no

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It 100% won’t.

The entire concept of ‘the Battle of Jakku’ was invented to retroactively explain the wreckage on Tatooine, after the initial concept - that it’s simply a junkyard - was dropped partway into production of TFA.

Same with Snoke being implied to be the "Dark Side Presence" when him being replaced with Original Recipe Emperor for TRoS nixes that. Or a thousand other things from those books. It was hilarious when the original EU had to retcon itself so massively when the PT came out. But it was forgivable since no one could have foreseen there would be new Star Wars movies 20 years in the future. Here with all their "Story Groups" and "Unified Canons" they couldn't even last the runtime of the first movie.

Bringing it back to saber chat from a few pages back. The obsession with Anakin's saber is another one of these moments where the people making the ST confuse meta knowledge of the "brand" with the actual events in the story. The Saber was never important in-universe except as how it was how Luke connected to the father and tradition he never knew. It's telling that when his actual dad cuts off Luke's hand (losing the saber) Luke also loses the ideal father he had built up in his mind. RotJ continues this with Luke's new saber. He doesn't need the old one anymore because he has moved past that. He has an live dad to connect with instead of a dead one reached through a physical proxy. At no point does Obi-Wan ever talk about the saber being a special saber with a destiny. At no point after losing it does Luke bemoan not having an extra special saber.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

galagazombie posted:

Here with all their "Story Groups" and "Unified Canons" they couldn't even last the runtime of the first movie.

Bringing it back to saber chat from a few pages back. The obsession with Anakin's saber is another one of these moments where the people making the ST confuse meta knowledge of the "brand" with the actual events in the story. The Saber was never important in-universe except as how it was how Luke connected to the father and tradition he never knew. It's telling that when his actual dad cuts off Luke's hand (losing the saber) Luke also loses the ideal father he had built up in his mind. RotJ continues this with Luke's new saber. He doesn't need the old one anymore because he has moved past that. He has an live dad to connect with instead of a dead one reached through a physical proxy. At no point does Obi-Wan ever talk about the saber being a special saber with a destiny. At no point after losing it does Luke bemoan not having an extra special saber.

1) the canon etc couldnt last because disney boardmembers couldnt wait to receive a profit return on their SW investment to allow Abrams (not up to the task) or anyone else (maybe up tp it) to map the new trilogy out and connect the OT trilogy to it beyond stupid and haphazard ways. its why TFA is a cypher of a movie and basically a complete waste of time for anyone except kids broadly new to star wars

2) thats true until Abrams (not up to the task) imbued the saber itself with loving force memories that transmitted to Rey through touch. clearly is it more than the mere sum of its parts in the NT

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ammanas posted:

2) thats true until Abrams (not up to the task) imbued the saber itself with loving force memories that transmitted to Rey through touch. clearly is it more than the mere sum of its parts in the NT

But that's just it. the saber only became that because of meta knowledge. Like those memories even in the ST all come from it being "important" in the OT. But the thing was that it wasn't. It's like the dice. The St thinks they were important because they were in Star Wars. But in-universe there were no Star Wars. There were just events that happened, not three movies. By this logic docking bay 94 would be a special magic hangar of destiny instead of just where the Falcon happened to be parked that day.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

galagazombie posted:

Bringing it back to saber chat from a few pages back. The obsession with Anakin's saber is another one of these moments where the people making the ST confuse meta knowledge of the "brand" with the actual events in the story. The Saber was never important in-universe except as how it was how Luke connected to the father and tradition he never knew.

Yeah. It's even more obvious when you look at the prequel trilogy. Lucas has talked about how Jedi losing their lightsabers was a running joke in Attack of the Clones, and Anakin doesn't get the lightsaber until somewhere between AotC and RotS and it's given absolutely no weight in the story at all.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Just Chamber posted:

Kylo hasnt actually tried anything with Rey in the movies right? As much as some fans get wet over the idea. Like i dont even remember any sort of awkward scene where it's clear he wanted to

Well he did do mind rape

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zoran posted:

Well he did do mind rape

Yeah but I mean really now who hasn’t done a little mind rape?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
The K.Y.L.O. System

Kill your father.
Yearn to be Darth Vader.
Lose to someone who has no prior Jedi training.
Ocularly rape every female you come across.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It 100% won’t.

The entire concept of ‘the Battle of Jakku’ was invented to retroactively explain the wreckage on Tatooine, after the initial concept - that it’s simply a junkyard - was dropped partway into production of TFA.

Good. Its dumb.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Just Chamber posted:

To be fair, he’s a millennial so he’s not really an adult until he’s 40ish.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Half your age plus 7 I thought was the thing.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I think regardless of your age, you shouldn't try and use "you're nothing... but not to me" as a pick-up line.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Just Chamber posted:

The films are pretty clear on the fact that in any such scenario Rey would be the aggressor.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The films are pretty clear on the fact that in any such scenario Rey would be the aggressor.

The reason Kylo aws shirtless during force Skype is that he's trying to entice Rey to fall to the dark side by raping him

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The reason that Kylo was shirtless because he was trying to be "alpha" to impress his girlfriend, but Rey is alpha, and way more ambitious than Kylo. It's just that simple.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Angry Salami posted:

I think regardless of your age, you shouldn't try and use "you're nothing... but not to me" as a pick-up line.

Kylo Ren is a bit of a psychopath, yes.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Zoran posted:

Well he did do mind rape

So what does that mean for Poe?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Angry Salami posted:

To be fair, that seems to be a universal truth in star wars that you are nothing without the force or some weird connection to Skywalker family. Especially now with what JJ is doing here with titles alone. Still a massive creep who doesn't really seem to have any other emotion but psychopathic angst, though!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Since when? Pt had a huge group of Jedi and the EU had all sorts of stories about all sorts of characters. I don't really understand that criticism of the pre st franchise

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Since when? Pt had a huge group of Jedi and the EU had all sorts of stories about all sorts of characters. I don't really understand that criticism of the pre st franchise

It is, again, the inability of some people to separate meta knowledge from the actual story. The movies are about a guy and later his son, but the setting itself isn't. Anakin himself has no special bloodline. The Force may have made him, but it did so through a nobody slave on a backwater. Even Luke, who comes closest to having a special lineage only really does so in how it connects him with Vader on a personal level. Star Wars has "Thousands" of years of history and a grand total of two relatives were important to it for like 20 years.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Every living thing is connected to the Force - that's explicitly what it is.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry, but when even the title conventions don't even bother pretending and call it "Rise of Skywalker", the franchise isn't helping the fact that you should be right about not being related to Luke should gate keep whether or not you are important. That was a cool idea with ray and I'm worried they're gonna walk back on that hard.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
JJ Abrams has basically said they're not going to retcon her parents but that there's 'more to the story' or something. So, given that Palpy's back... Rey Palpatine clone or some poo poo and her parents adopted her or something.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The reason why Anakin's saber, the dice, the Falcoln and droids like BB8 are being pushed forward in the branding is because they won't age, die, turn out to be a child molester or demand more money like actors will.

20 years from now you can make a Star Wars film that's recognisable because the Falcon and Anakin's lightsabre are in, but you can cast whoever you want.

Its franchise thinking.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The saber murdered children

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Did anyone even notice the dice until TLJ made them a plot point?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DrNutt posted:

I knew about them, but only because they were an item in the old Star Wars CCG. I certainty didn’t know about them from the movies.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Speaking of I tried to watch Solo because it's on Netflix and uh. I thought it started out okay. The 'solo' thing didn't really bother me. But then I got to the guy saying "luck's got nothing to do with it!" and then the Chewbacca scene where the goober they had playing Han starts "speaking Wookiee" and I had to turn it off. Not for me.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

DrNutt posted:

There was a deleted scene from TFA where Han hangs them in the Falcon. I am kind of surprised, given their significance in TLJ (and kind of Solo) that they didn't try to keep that in.

They are hanging up in a few scenes in TFA though so it's just kind of there to be seen if you see it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So Jedi are now called skywalkers?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Tenzarin posted:

So Jedi are now called skywalkers?

Maybe? No one knows at this point.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DrNutt posted:

No, I never saw them in the OT until after this. Are they always in the cockpit scenes? I have no clue.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
What is it with every hero needing "credentialism" from Robert Mueller, to Rey "Nobody but Actually " SkyWalker. Does anyone else feel let down if Disney decides to go the Rey is actually the daughter of Hillary Clinton and George Jefferson route, not some nobody bartender working in the streets of New Tattooine, but somebody geneticalled chosen to "take leadership". This monarchistic dynastism really sours my grapes, Disney. I'm curious if other's could feel the same way of Rey being a SkyWalker or Kenobi. I don't think its a good message to send this nation's children, and by that I mean grown rear end liberal and conservative adults that love hero-worship.Where my fellow goons at on this one?

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

DrNutt posted:

Speaking of I tried to watch Solo because it's on Netflix and uh. I thought it started out okay. The 'solo' thing didn't really bother me. But then I got to the guy saying "luck's got nothing to do with it!" and then the Chewbacca scene where the goober they had playing Han starts "speaking Wookiee" and I had to turn it off. Not for me.

I had nearly this exact same experience. They finally got to the Falcon when I realized, gently caress, I'm an hour in waiting for this movie to get out of first gear, I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Nf3 posted:

What is it with every hero needing "credentialism" from Robert Mueller, to Rey "Nobody but Actually " SkyWalker. Does anyone else feel let down if Disney decides to go the Rey is actually the daughter of Hillary Clinton and George Jefferson route, not some nobody bartender working in the streets of New Tattooine, but somebody geneticalled chosen to "take leadership". This monarchistic dynastism really sours my grapes, Disney. I'm curious if other's could feel the same way of Rey being a SkyWalker or Kenobi. I don't think its a good message to send this nation's children, and by that I mean grown rear end liberal and conservative adults that love hero-worship.Where my fellow goons at on this one?

Shmii Skywalker wasn’t a queen.

Rey is not ‘genetically superior’ because she’s a Skywalker (Anakin wasn’t a king either) but because she has the same psychic mutation as Yoda, Mace Windu, and Snoke.