Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
re: curtis

i have a distinct memory of watching some special about the dangers of smoking, when i was about five or six. my dad smoked, and after i watched the show, i couldn't stop crying because i knew i'd lose him if he kept at it. he came home later that night and i ran over to him, still sobbing and begged him to quit. after that, i never saw him smoke again.

i guess it's possible that he smoked privately instead, but somehow, i don't think so. call me naive

re: foob

no, lynn, you "pass" if your adult children trust you and still speak to you. they don't, and now you're eating lettuce over the sink by yourself because nobody likes you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Pyton

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So here are the comics that appear in my local paper, along with the year the comic first launched;
    Foob 1979
    Blondie 1930
    Garfield 1978
    Curtis 1988
    Doonsbury 1970
    Get Fuzzy 1999 (Monday - Saturday only)
    Between Friends 1994
    Luann 1985
    Family Circus 1960
    Non Sequitur 1992 (Monday - Saturday only)
    Dilbert 1989
    Beetle Bailey 1950
    Hagar 1973
    Rose is Rose 1984
    Rhymes W/ Orange 1995
    Zits 1997
    Shoe 1977
    Jump Start 1989 (Sundays only)
    Hi & Lois 1954 (Sundays only)

Note that none of these comics launched in the 21st century, and about half of them are older than I am.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (November 26, 1931)

Peanuts (April 20, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 I-Serious-Don't-Want-To-Believe-This-Is-A-High-School-Flashback-Anymore Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 12, 1935)

Out Our Way (June 16-18, 1932

Toonerville Folks (April 19-21, 1915)

On April 5, 1915, Jack Johnson, the first African American world heavyweight champion (which made him a massive target in the Jim Crow era, both for sports writers and law enforcement), lost his title to Jess Willard in Havana, Cuba. The victory was celebrated with some pretty atrocious editorial cartoons.

The baby's cradle is a hell of a place to find out how deeply your employer's convictions go as one of those "great white hope" assholes. Heading for the door is the right direction.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 18, 2019

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 12/18/52

Mopsy 10/24/41

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

PuddingKnight posted:

Wow, didn't know you picked up a fourth Holbrook strip!

It's pregnancies all the way down! I can't wait for Leroy and Loretta to have a child arc now. It could happen!

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Huh. It's interesting what innocuous things used to be scandalous.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set remembers.

Working Daze is a Shazam reference, apparently.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix teaches the controversy.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Haifisch posted:

2013 Spiderman
:bisonyes:

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

If this were real noir, this would be the moment when we learn that Joe Sampson is the real serial killer and that Barnabas is just a patsy

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Oh boy.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Les Knox is another Luann character that the strip constantly shits on forever because the writers do not like him. And, like Tiff, the main characters can be actively awful to him and we are still supposed to be like, "Hell yeah! Eat poo poo, rear end in a top hat!" I say this in case you have a moment of feeling sorry for Les and his hasty assumption today.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Boy, remember all those times the rabbits were awful? Or the time they dared form a group that fought back against predators? They sure to deserve to get killed and eaten for being jerks, huh?

After reading the other goons' experiences as secret shoppers, reading this strip where this shopper is going out of their way to find fault in the employees feels very cruel.

Julet Esqu posted:

Les Knox is another Luann character that the strip constantly shits on forever because the writers do not like him. And, like Tiff, the main characters can be actively awful to him and we are still supposed to be like, "Hell yeah! Eat poo poo, rear end in a top hat!" I say this in case you have a moment of feeling sorry for Les and his hasty assumption today.

So Les is beneath Tiff in Team Evans' Sympathy Hiearchy then? I remember someone mentioning there being a lesbian character in Luann who led Les on while he nearly went broke trying to give her expensive gifts.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

amigolupus posted:

So Les is beneath Tiff in Team Evans' Sympathy Hiearchy then? I remember someone mentioning there being a lesbian character in Luann who led Les on while he nearly went broke trying to give her expensive gifts.

Luann's sister, yeah. Made him buy dinner for the entire family.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Savidudeosoo posted:

not her sister, just some rando Fuse employee who invited her bosses (Luann's parents) to the meal and expected Les to still pay for it

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Savidudeosoo posted:

It's wasn't Luann's sister it was Pru who is...I don't remember where she came from. Bernice and Luann met her on their wild trip to NYC or something and now she lives at the DeGroot house because she's a lesbian and they work in mysterious ways?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

It's wasn't Luann's sister it was Pru who is...I don't remember where she came from. Bernice and Luann met her on their wild trip to NYC or something and now she lives at the DeGroot house because she's a lesbian and they work in mysterious ways?

She was friends with Quill, which made Luann insanely paranoid and jealous until she found out she was a lesbian and therefore no threat, at which point they became friends. I can't remember what the hell she's doing in... whatever town Luann lives in.

And yeah, as far as the hierarchy of designated villains goes, Les is "worse" than Tiffany but not as bad as Ann.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: Presumably Klingsor is an ancestor of :nws:István Várallyay:nws:, or Corto goes for some late-night reading, or ...well, at least the dress looks nice?

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

J. Wesley Smith

Guindon

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (Sept. 25, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (Sept. 25, 1997)

Garfield Classic (Sept. 25, 1987)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I can't help but see Alita in the daughter.

Bad Machinery

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

This seems like a bit of an expensive overreaction.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I can't help but see Alita in the daughter.

Bad Machinery

lmao, dude's a bloody bond villain and I'm loving this :allears:

(Also lol at "autopilot requires missing plugin".)

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
bad machinery fills me with glee

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mikl posted:

lmao, dude's a bloody bond villain and I'm loving this :allears:

(Also lol at "autopilot requires missing plugin".)

Just gotta update the drivers. Easy peasy.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zetsubou-san posted:

bad machinery fills me with glee

Yes, finally we get rid of those pesky kids.

Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
loving lol Mandrake.

"What, you actually took me seriously when I said I would destroy the Earth over a pair of shoes? Bloody hell folks, learn to take a joke."

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Tunicate posted:

not her sister, just some rando Fuse employee who invited her bosses (Luann's parents) to the meal and expected Les to still pay for it

gently caress I remember that, that was so loving hosed.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
TMNT

Geech

Garf

Zip

Rip

Dick Nov. 11-12, 1931

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

My son is worthless! WORTHLESS!

F Minus

The slight paunch is a nice touch.

Macanudo

Not bad.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

She made falafel you son of a bitch!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

What a cliffhanger!

Andertoons

Some gizmo!

Apartment 3-G

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

More than 99 percent identical you say? wowee!

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part, but I feel like things are getting set up for Kit to get killed in the bombing of the Nomad's compound.

Pyton

The structure in the strip is the Ericsson Globe, Stockholm's biggest sports arena. It looks like this in reality:

Woebin fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 19, 2019

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Woebin posted:

Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part, but I feel like things are getting set up for Kit to get killed in the bombing of the Nomad's compound.

And then the Phantom can become a blonde teenage girl with a swarthy side-kick.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Jesus christ, just let Dustin be a good dude who doesn't get dunked on for a strip.

2013 Spiderman

1977 Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Dick Nov. 11-12, 1931

So first Tracy gets a delivery van riddled with bullets, and now he causes a train wreck?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Haifisch posted:

2013 Spiderman

Huh, there's something different about the Sunday strip and the rest, but I quite can't put my finger on it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
K&K C