Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Time to Thought Scour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Time to Thought Scour.

Probably closer to surgical extraction. :smith:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
this is weeks after their honeymoon

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Star Man posted:

STEM majors talking about art lol

im a STEM drop-out thank you very much

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Time for Jace the Mind Sculptor to cast Surgical Extraction!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Skull Clamp

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
If you were looking for singles now might be a good time to pick some up. The prices have been plummeting the last few days.

Kefnet $10
Oketra $8
Rhonas $5
Bontu $5
Ugin $7
Blastzone $4
The rare walkers aside from Karn and Teferi are all around $3.

Rhonas and Bontu seem like easy pickups if you like those style of decks.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tainen posted:

If you were looking for singles now might be a good time to pick some up. The prices have been plummeting the last few days.

Kefnet $10
Oketra $8
Rhonas $5
Bontu $5
Ugin $7
Blastzone $4
The rare walkers aside from Karn and Teferi are all around $3.

Rhonas and Bontu seem like easy pickups if you like those style of decks.

Huh, guess I'll do some pre ordering. I think Oketra has a lot of potential myself.

What I'm thinking is effectively zombie tribal midrange, with new Lili, M19 Lili and Oketra. Maybe green for both parts of Find/Finality too. M19 Lili can get your small zombie back to trigger Oketra and should be able to get kills with her minus.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Dumb observation: Zombie Oketra enables Knight of Grace in mono white.

Also I might actually order the ~super special planeswalkers~ edition and sit down to draft it with bros this time.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Ugin's conjurant is an incredible limited uncommon, right? Always on curve, it survives X combats, which is great if you're attacking and also a strong blocker. Plus you can grow it with proliferate.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

TacoNight posted:

Ugin's conjurant is an incredible limited uncommon, right? Always on curve, it survives X combats, which is great if you're attacking and also a strong blocker. Plus you can grow it with proliferate.

No.

It doesn't survive X Combats. When it takes damage you remove that many +1/+1 counters. It's basically an X/X Hydra and all damage dealt to it has wither.

What you're thinking of is the Phantom cycle from Judgement.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It’s okay, but not great. It essentially gives your opponent’s blocker or attacker wither.

I’d want 3-4 sources of proliferate to build it back up from damage to put it in my deck and even then it’s a replaceable card.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Tried googling but couldnt find the answer:

Why was yawgmoths bargain printed at all? I tried googling but instead its people asking why it was banned, to me it seems a straight upgrade to necropotence and that was after necropotence ran rampant. What happened? Is there a story there?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Lid posted:

Why was yawgmoths bargain printed at all? I tried googling but instead its people asking why it was banned, to me it seems a straight upgrade to necropotence and that was after necropotence ran rampant. What happened? Is there a story there?

they were trying to make a "fixed" necropotence and hosed it up

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lid posted:

Well, its 6 cmc vs 3. That is't exactly a straight upgrade.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

one huge problem with necropotence is that you could dark ritual it out turn 1, so bargain was meant to address that problem. fortunately they learned their lesson about fast mana and didn’t print dark ritual again in the same block as bargain so it wasn’t a problem

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

also it’s insane that yawgmoth’s bargain isn’t the most broken card in its block. it’s not even the most broken card in its block with “yawgmoth’s” in the name.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
To be fair, if you just want to play Necropotence, then the CMC does make Bargain a little worse. The problem was that you didn't use Bargain like Necropotence, you used it to win the game on the spot. And they put Academy Rector and Replenish in the same set

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

also it’s insane that yawgmoth’s bargain isn’t the most broken card in its block. it’s not even the most broken card in its block with “yawgmoth’s” in the name.

I'm always a little sad that I never went HAM on buying Urza block product, since it was right when I first started playing the game. That block had some absolute banger cards.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
There were some positive impressions of the London Mull here after the first day or so but does any one have any updated impressions now that it has been a full week?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Tainen posted:

There were some positive impressions of the London Mull here after the first day or so but does any one have any updated impressions now that it has been a full week?

Generally great; it's going to stick around in my opinion.

As a primay legacy player, as people optimize, there may be some bannings later; but that's to be seen.

MTGO is chock full of people trying to abuse Chalice and Griselbrand right now; but I think that's more a symptom of newness, not efficacy of the rule.

Generally net positive to the game, only formats that WotC doesnt care about get hurt anyways. Going to stick. Mark my words.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tainen posted:

It's going to add a few percentage points to Tron for sure but nothing broken, imo. Tron is still like a 54% deck at best.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

ShaneB posted:

It's going to add a few percentage points to Tron for sure but nothing broken, imo. Tron is still like a 54% deck at best.

I'm less worried about Tron and more worried about linear combo, dredge, etc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

When's the trial GP? (Or was it a PT?)

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Tainen posted:

Fair decks feel great with it. Thoughtseize and spell pierce both are really good when your opponents mulligan aggressively. Humans has felt pretty good, the biggest problem there is still thing in the ice and the phoenix deck doesn't mulligan a lot anyway so that matchup is mostly unchanged. Shadow has felt great. I would say the only thing I have really noticed is a lot more people are jamming tron to see if it's busted with the new mull and as a result it's meta share has increased a lot. I don't think it's particularly broken or anything though. Fair decks are having a bit of a resurgence online at the moment. Shadow has been preying on everyone trying to build their sandcastle broken stuff, humans has been beating it, and UW/Esper have started to get points by picking off all the shadow and gimmick poo poo like grishoalbrand.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Rinkles posted:

When's the trial GP? (Or was it a PT?)

The Mythic Championship where it’s being tested is next weekend.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

"Suck on it, Stangg"

Pass

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tainen posted:

The Mythic Championship where it’s being tested is next weekend.

So a GP? (Sorry)

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
In the land of five card hands, the man with Thoughtseize is king.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Rinkles posted:

So a GP? (Sorry)

The mythic championship is taking place at magic fest London which also has a Grand Prix occuring, I think. But the GP main event won't feature the London Mulligan, only the MC will.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I'll admit conversely I haven't quite wrapped my head around Yagmoth's Will :/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cactrot posted:

The mythic championship is taking place at magic fest London which also has a Grand Prix occuring, I think. But the GP main event won't feature the London Mulligan, only the MC will.

Oh right I just forgot whether MCs were the new GPs or PTs (GPs are still GPs but are now sub-events during Magic Fests).

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

C-Euro posted:

I'm always a little sad that I never went HAM on buying Urza block product, since it was right when I first started playing the game. That block had some absolute banger cards.

It was an absolutely terrible time to be playing, though - standard, legacy, block, and limited were all pretty miserable

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lid posted:

I'll admit conversely I haven't quite wrapped my head around Yagmoth's Will :/

You know how it’s good to have access to lots of cards at any one time?

Yawgmoth’s Will gives you access to all of them at once for 3 mana. If you’re playing it with fast mana it says “2B: draw 5-20 cards”.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

TacoNight posted:

If you can give it one extra toughness from trostani or something then it will survive the damage instance that takes away its last counter, even if that damage was way overkill.
Then if you can somehow put another counter back onto it, it'll be able to do it again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

one huge problem with necropotence is that you could dark ritual it out turn 1, so bargain was meant to address that problem. fortunately they learned their lesson about fast mana and didn’t print dark ritual again in the same block as bargain so it wasn’t a problem

Was turn 1 necro ever even really a thing? Isn’t the normal play pattern to dump out the rest of your hand and then play Necro when you need to refill?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Kurieg posted:

No.

It doesn't survive X Combats. When it takes damage you remove that many +1/+1 counters. It's basically an X/X Hydra and all damage dealt to it has wither.

What you're thinking of is the Phantom cycle from Judgement.

Ugin's thingy is also worse than the Phantoms, because it checks if it has counters on it before preventing the damage, so you can't just enchant or equip it with more toughness

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Entropic posted:

Was turn 1 necro ever even really a thing? Isn’t the normal play pattern to dump out the rest of your hand and then play Necro when you need to refill?

depended on the time and what was in your hand. Most of the time T1 Hymn was a better play, but getting early CA from Necro wasn't bad, esp when the plan was to wipe the board with disc anyways

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TacoNight posted:

It’s really bad. Endless One was pretty decent but never a bomb, and this has the massive downside of shrinking quickly down to uselessness the first time it gets in combat with a similarly sized creature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

It was an absolutely terrible time to be playing, though - standard, legacy, block, and limited were all pretty miserable

Common Corrupt is cool and good.