Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I liked the court cases which involved 'magic with rules' but that ended up being a pretty small part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hbiQzWGkXA

Though really I like pretty much every Turnabout Sisters version.

E: The game does have a good joke where Maya complains to Layton about Phoenix's views on ladders.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I don’t have it handy but there’s unused art of Layton in the PW/AA style and I’m sad it’s unused.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I didn't completely mind Layton vs, but I'm also a big Layton fan.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Turnabout Sisters (the case) has a severe issue where the culprit gets built up as someone incredibly bad rear end to the point where it's reasonable to think he's the big bad guy of the entire game, and then he goes down like a sack of potatoes under almost no pressure which in turn makes Mia look even worse for dying to this clown.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I love Layton and he is my best friend, but combining his style with Phoenix Wright just didn't work. They don't mesh together well at all.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
im bad at brain teasers but amazing at solving murders. life is so funny.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barudak posted:

a severe BMX Bandit and Angel Summoner issue

I need more references like this in my life.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Layton v Wright apparently had problems where the dev teams didn't work together nearly as well as they thought they would.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
There's a whole set of post-game scenes in the game that are more or less about the development of the game itself if you read between the lines, from what I remember. It seems like it wasn't a great experience, yeah. If you compare what the actual game is to early trailers it's also very clear that the result is completely different from what was envisioned.

With all that said, I still enjoyed it overall. Partially because despite the problems they got the music extremely right.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I enjoyed the Vs game a lot, those Layton puzzles were crack for me and the cases were interesting, but it definitely is less than the sum of its parts.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
PL vs. AA was alright. I loved the AA parts (the cases) which was essentially AA but revolving around the usage of magic, but the rest was... eh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive tried really hard to like the Layton games but even in Lady Layton there just isnt enough personality to keep me going through "look we both know that my explanation for how this bullshit happened is so ridiculous that its less satisfying than if I just said a wizard did it" plot and then the puzzles just exist. Like even the story ones have rarely anything to do with whats happening in the story much less the dozens of side ones.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Don't play Layton games if you don't love the puzzles for their own sakes. The insane stories and characters are good too but pure abstract puzzle solving is the whole game and the rest is just a loose framework.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah; I liked Layton versus Wright, but if you hate Layton games you'll hate it. For me investigation sections are the worst part of mainline AA games so replacing them with basically anything else, even Layton puzzles, is a big improvement. Of course the courtroom sessions are still great, but again if you hate the endings of Layton games spoiler, they all have the same ending you'll hate its ending.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

There's a whole set of post-game scenes in the game that are more or less about the development of the game itself if you read between the lines, from what I remember. It seems like it wasn't a great experience, yeah. If you compare what the actual game is to early trailers it's also very clear that the result is completely different from what was envisioned.

With all that said, I still enjoyed it overall. Partially because despite the problems they got the music extremely right.

That pursuit theme is second only to the original, because it basically is the original.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Personally I think PL vs AA is worth playing for the 95% of the game that's fantastic before the poor 5% at the end.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
yeah i think i played about 90% PL vs AA and really enjoyed what i played. if you viciously hate professor layton and/or solving puzzles you probably won't enjoy it, but takumi clearly used it as a testing ground for some of his ideas for DGS (and i believe the composer is the same). not playing some ace attorney written by takumi when we might never have more of it, couldn't be me

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I am very unforgiving of an AA game dropping the ball on a final case. You go to super jail for that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Turnabout Sisters (the case) has a severe issue where the culprit gets built up as someone incredibly bad rear end to the point where it's reasonable to think he's the big bad guy of the entire game, and then he goes down like a sack of potatoes under almost no pressure which in turn makes Mia look even worse for dying to this clown.

It's understandable since it was the first game in the series and it's just natural for things to get more complex as it goes on, but yeah, AA1 has that vibe in general going back. Even 1-4 folds hilariously easily compared to random schmucks covering up workplace disputes in the later games.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Dr Pepper posted:

Personally I think PL vs AA is worth playing for the 95% of the game that's fantastic before the poor 5% at the end.

Questioning 6 people at once was pretty good and the magic system was fun for a whodunit.

Obligatory "shame about the ending" goes here.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I can't believe how wrong some people in this thread are about plvsaa, that game is worth playing for the third case alone (and the rest of the writing is fine enough)

Podima posted:

I enjoyed the game well enough and the courtroom mechanics are interesting enough that I wish they'd reuse them for a mainstream AA game - but the story is definitely more skewed towards Layton stuff.
They did reuse them. In DGS. Another reason DGS owns.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NRVNQSR posted:

if you hate the endings of Layton games spoiler, they all have the same ending you'll hate its ending.

Isn't the ending of one of them you were super high the whole time and imagining it all?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Isn't the ending of one of them you were super high the whole time and imagining it all?

Thats basically all of them

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dude's brain must be hosed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well it's more like all of them involved some massive trick that makes everything you thought you knew untrue. Only one involves literal hallucinations.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Steve2911 posted:

Yes and the same applies to the antagonist, it rules.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOkkNpBjYkg

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I haven't played Layton Vs Ace Attorney, I am still going through the trilogy for the first time but from what I remember of Layton the first game. It had almost no humor. I mean the side characters are weird and eccentric but it's not really funny. Also Layton has that little boy as his assistant meanwhile Nick has Maya who is basically a bundle of joy in human form, I never really got attached to Layton's assistant, he seemed to just be there to ask Layton dumb questions.

Also the puzzles in Layton games are very hit n miss. Some are pure fun but others make you feel like you are back in school but you don't really feel that way in Ace Attorney. That being said I am honestly interested in the combo but have no desire to play on a handheld. Hopefully they release the other AA games on PC in another trilogy and that comes along with it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man I'd hate to play any of these games on anything but a handheld, they were made for playing in bed.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Man I'd hate to play any of these games on anything but a handheld, they were made for playing in bed.

what about....a console-handheld hybrid????

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If only such a thing existed....

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Luke is too smart in this clip

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I agree the case ending is weak, but I think it's also more realistic with what happens to men like him. I think it's because the only way at that point to take White down was to demonstrate Fey had gathered more than enough circumstantial evidence to ruin him. It's the threat to go to the press (exactly what he did to Misty Fey years ago) that scares him into confessing, not prison or fines or even an implied death penalty. And while it's unknown since we don't actually play through *his* murder trial, I personally think he'd be able to hire a pricey lawyer that got his murder charge knocked down to accidental, but the fallout from all the other investigations that probably sprung up kept him stuck in the legal process for the rest of his life with ever-dwindling funds. That's just my speculation, however (non-plot related spoilers for AAI2) his gold desk and the painting he bought from Grossberg are among background items in a warehouse, suggesting he may have sold them at some point.

When you take this case against the series as a whole it's really just the tip of the iceberg to the corruption inherent in the entire legal system, which is most obvious in PW 1-5 but to me stood out in DD 5-3 because it showed how it far-reaching in terms of socially and passage of time "the Dark Age of the Law" really was. Just taking out one bad actor wasn't going to fix the legal system overnight, and if anything I continue to love the series because it demonstrates how tenacious corruption is and how hard you have to fight and cling to your beliefs to make even the smallest changes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Holy poo poo, guys, did you hear? Phoenix Wright used forged evidence!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Amppelix posted:

I can't believe how wrong some people in this thread are about plvsaa, that game is worth playing for the third case alone (and the rest of the writing is fine enough)
They did reuse them. In DGS. Another reason DGS owns.

Honestly, they managed to use the "Question" the witness other than the main one in some rather creative ways in the final DGS case. It owned.

Waffleman_ posted:

Holy poo poo, guys, did you hear? Phoenix Wright used forged evidence!

Guess he's just another corrupt lawyer in the end.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
This is the same guy that got Mask☆DeMasque out of doing any time for stealing all that stuff. I'm not surprised at all he ended up being this slimy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is truly the dark age of the law.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
His client ran away, too... gently caress. I mean, agh, this sucks. Fucker was guilty the whole time of killing his teacher adn only showed up to court because Wright was going to forge evidence to pull through, and when that went tits up, Zak bailed.

I wonder how many "miraculous" turnabouts would have ended the same way. How many people did that Maya girl kill?!

Looks like it's official that Wright was disbarred, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If even Wright's dirty and using forged evidence, then... all lawyers are scum.