Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Alaan posted:

Common Corrupt is cool and good.

I was more thinking about Pestilence at common tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

TacoNight posted:

Ugin's conjurant is an incredible limited uncommon, right? Always on curve, it survives X combats, which is great if you're attacking and also a strong blocker. Plus you can grow it with proliferate.

i don't think it's incredible for the reasons others have pointed out but i definitely think it's playable and probably will make most of my decks, it's a bear with a bonus mode of being a big creature late in the game that is slightly worse than a regular vanilla big creature

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Maro's initial pitch for what would become Yawgmoth's Bargain was: BBB Enchantment. Pay 2 life: Draw a card.

So basically a better Greed or a "fixed" Necropotence if you will. You still got the card right away though.

This originally had no activation cost until they remembered that Necropotence was a card that existed in the current Type2 format.

And of course, in Maro's head the worst he could imagine players doing with Yawgmoth's Bargain (the real one) was playing it with Jasmine Seer and drawing a bunch of cards that way.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Entropic posted:

It’s really bad. Endless One was pretty decent but never a bomb, and this has the massive downside of shrinking quickly down to uselessness the first time it gets in combat with a similarly sized creature.

The downside isn't really that severe, you play it at whatever point it fits into your curve, and then you trade it off for one of your opponent's similar-sized creatures. The downside just means that your opponent can "trade" with a slightly smaller creature, if you allow them.

I think it fits in a similar spot to Endless One - decent filler that you won't pick early, but will be happy to play a copy if it comes to you late.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

I was more thinking about Pestilence at common tbh

I couldn't remember ALL the broken Commons

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Anyone been testing/iterating on UR Drakes? Determining the best burn/removal suite will have to wait until the meta shakes out obvs but there's a few new toys to try out. I want to try a singleton Saheeli but I feel like she does too little on turn 3. I think some number of new Ral could be gas but I'm not sure how many and am wondering if Pheonix is where the deck will want to be.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lid posted:

I'll admit conversely I haven't quite wrapped my head around Yagmoth's Will :/

2B draw your graveyard

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I hope there's a solid Grixis Midrange Bolas Tribal Superfriends for me to enjoy over the summer standard.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

MrBling posted:

Maro's initial pitch for what would become Yawgmoth's Bargain was: BBB Enchantment. Pay 2 life: Draw a card.

So basically a better Greed or a "fixed" Necropotence if you will. You still got the card right away though.

This originally had no activation cost until they remembered that Necropotence was a card that existed in the current Type2 format.

And of course, in Maro's head the worst he could imagine players doing with Yawgmoth's Bargain (the real one) was playing it with Jasmine Seer and drawing a bunch of cards that way.

Let be fair though, that was 20 years ago. They also though a 2/1 for 1 mana was broken.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Can wait for 7 people in my playgroup to all be rocking Seb mats and the one other person is stuck on Sorin Jace loving by the fire

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
In other news, MTGO still exists! Let’s see how that’s going....

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1119083609208414210?s=21

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Entropic posted:

Well karn's ultimate does restart the game…

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Entropic posted:

After the clip ended MTGO would not let either player take game actions. It was hilarious.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Entropic posted:

I mean, legacy cube on MTGO has led to me not starting arena for at least two weeks.
It’s just so much more fun than standard.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Buffis posted:

I mean, legacy cube on MTGO has led to me not starting arena for at least two weeks.
It’s just so much more fun than standard.

It's hilarious seeing the :wtc: reactions of twitch viewers that are used to seeing arena being horrified by MTGO when streamers start playing cube on stream.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What the hell started this conversation? https://twitter.com/PatrickStocks/status/1118634989694988293?s=19

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So I'm still doing this podcast. In this episode we go over GP Sao Paulo, the new London Mulligan rule, and make some MC London predictions. Listen to it! Or else!

Just look at all these links!! vvvvv

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-dive-down/id1447762473
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/6bQlj5dnv3u1bHdsEprHzp?si=dVOgnBud
Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-dive-down?refid=stpr
Google Play: https://play.google.com/music/m/I44dze6yll6uh5q34dxjo4tikpq?t=The_Dive_Down
YouTube: https://youtu.be/WcK09GzkOco

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Crackbone posted:

Let be fair though, that was 20 years ago. They also though a 2/1 for 1 mana was broken.

im pretty sure that card with no mana cost plus yawgmoths bargain would mean you draw your deck so putting a mana cost on it was a good thing, imo

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tainen posted:

There were some positive impressions of the London Mull here after the first day or so but does any one have any updated impressions now that it has been a full week?

It is exceptionally good and needs to stay, and if that means a boatload of broken nonsense gets banned in Modern/Legacy/Vintage/Pauper then good, gently caress all of it.

Max hand size of 7 punishes the player on the draw WAY more than the player on the play. If the player on the draw uses a bounceland or a Compulsive Research or whatever without playing an early creature, they have to discard to hand size, while the player on the play, the player who already has a notable advantage, would not have to discard.

Max hand size of 10 is an easy change.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Crackbone posted:

Serra Angel was once too Good to be in Type II.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hellsau posted:

Max hand size of 7 punishes the player on the draw WAY more than the player on the play. If the player on the draw uses a bounceland or a Compulsive Research or whatever without playing an early creature, they have to discard to hand size, while the player on the play, the player who already has a notable advantage, would not have to discard.

Max hand size of 10 is an easy change.

Then maybe don't do that?

A max hand size of 10 rewards control and card draw more than the mythical scenario of someone getting land screwed because the guy who's getting land screwed probably isn't winning the game anyway (ironically, without card draw or ramp to make up the difference)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Think I remember Maro saying it's a likely future change.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

He speculated on 400 copies of Black Vise and wants to be able to 1-shot his opponents with running Blue Sun's Zenith on end step and upkeep

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

How often are control players discarding to hand size? And when they do is that what's keeping them in check?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

odiv posted:

How often are control players discarding to hand size? And when they do is that what's keeping them in check?

Don't forget its not necessarily discarding at the end step, but using cards you other wise wouldn't instead of doing so.'

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

dump your library of lengs before the bottom falls out. sell! sell! sell!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A seven-card hand size just feels so fundamental to the game that I think it would shift a lot of things in ways that might not be obvious. It'd be more of a change to how the game functions than changing the mulligan rules IMO. Also as others have said, giving your cards a (nominal) shelf life means that you have to do something eventually or lose out on resources.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My reading of limiting hand size is that it requires some kind of activity. Even if it's as meaningless of a play as draw, land, go.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Just give every card an invisible “Cycle 2” and problem solved! Easy!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The most common way hand size comes up is the player on the draw missing land drops (often on mulligans to make it worse!), which just feels awful and leads to non-games.

Any other side effects of removing hand size limits can be dealt with as they come up.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Kurieg posted:

Then maybe don't do that?

A max hand size of 10 rewards control and card draw more than the mythical scenario of someone getting land screwed because the guy who's getting land screwed probably isn't winning the game anyway (ironically, without card draw or ramp to make up the difference)

You are incorrect about all of this. Literally all of it is wrong. Punishing players for being on the draw is bad - not getting to use your mana on a card draw spell or bounceland without discarding simply because you lost your die roll is just an extra punishment for the player at a disadvantage. Control is not rewarded, because if they're discarding to hand size for reasons other than mana screw then you've already lost or it doesn't matter, because if they're discarding to hand size against an aggro deck then either they're discarding unneeded cards, or they're going to just die and/or win before getting to play 7+ cards and having the card they discarded become relevant. Discarding in the control mirror again punishes the player on the draw, and also there's generally a LOT of unnecessary cards available to toss away so it doesn't particularly matter except for in spots where the discarding player is already at a substantial disadvantage. People keep 2 or 3 landers and discard to hand size and end up winning frequently enough that I don't think you've thought that particular statement through.

You are extremely incorrect.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
A turn 3 divination as your first play is not an outlandish scenario in limited. Being forced to waste mana (which you likely can't afford) or discard feels awful.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

odiv posted:

In this standard?

All the time. Same for Rev standard.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

make the maximum hand size 4

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Helping the player on the draw by increasing hand size is a really weird proposal to me. If we really need to do something to mitigate that disadvantage more than the bo3 structure already does, why not be more direct about it?

To me it pretty clearly advantages slower strategies that have difficulty dropping their hand size and strategies that draw a lot. It certainly isn't going to help an aggro deck, and rarely a midrange deck.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think Magic should let the player going second start with a Lotus Petal token in play more than anything else.

That’s a good thing Hearthstone did and it’s something I think is worth emulating here.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

There was artchat a page ago but does anyone feel like the flavor text this set took a nosedive? It feels like every other card that has it is either a lame quip, or a character quote that's just describing what the art means without any flair or imagination.

I agree with this. There is a lot of interesting story going on with the art and card effects, but the flavor text is the driest poo poo ever. ‘Jace thought it was a trap’. ‘Bolas was mean’. ‘Leliana did a thing’. Even the Gideon riding a circus demon card is dumb and wordy.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Punishing players for being on the draw is bad - not getting to use your mana on a card draw spell or bounceland without discarding simply because you lost your die roll is just an extra punishment for the player at a disadvantage.

All of this could be fixed by having the player on the draw have a max handsize of 8, which probably wouldn't change the game significantly otherwise. Even in control mirrors it'd probably not be much more advantageous than being on the play.

Getting rid of handsize or capping it at 10 or w/e would have an impact on a decent number of this Standard's games. Control matches would slow down, midrange would get even grindier.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

C-Euro posted:

A seven-card hand size just feels so fundamental to the game

No it doesn’t.
You could remove hand size entirely and it would make no difference in 90%+ of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

increasing the maximum hand size is fine but i really couldn't see any more than 8, which solves the bounceland/divination problem and gives an extra turn in case of stumbling on mana but i think it's reasonable to punish players for keeping risky hands and/or failing to construct proper curves or mana bases. note that im only talking about limited.