Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Gotcha, thank you.

It's worth noting that 401k plans are not actually that great and even the creator of the concept doesn't like how they are used today.

https://slate.com/business/2017/01/even-the-people-who-pushed-the-401-k-think-it-s-been-a-huge-mistake.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

skipdogg posted:

This is what worked for me. YMMV, take my advice with a grain of salt.

I sat down with my manager and asked about my career progression. We talked and I asked him "What can I do to put a Senior title in front of my Sys Admin title, what would you like to see from me to make this happen in the next year or so, I feel like I'm already doing Sr level work and I'd like to know there's a path forward career wise" I stated my case and accomplishments.

He told me he felt I was ready for the Senior title now and to give him a couple months to make it happen with HR, which he did. I got the promotion, a decent bump in pay, and things worked out.

I will agree that generally large raises are accompanied by promotions or title changes. We have 5 steps in each job, so a raise outside of the normal merit/col would be tied to a title promotion.

I'm not the mercenary type that job hops every couple of years to maximize earnings. Good managers want to keep good employees and will usually do what they can to keep you happy.

This is good stuff. My immediate manager is essentially my coworker, and their manager also works closely with us (not in a bad way). This company has a looot of long term employees, so either they're all goon-in-a-well or something else is making them stick around.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
On the topic of asking for a raise, for me their reaction to asking for one, even if they give it to you means a lot.

A job ago I was a "Professional Services Engineer" for a hosting company/MSP. It was a small/medium sized shop, but I was by far the most "advanced" customer facing engineer they had. They had a few internal engineers on the hosting side that knew their stuff, but none of them dealt directly with customers. That meant I was basically end to end engineer for larger projects. I'd Sales Engineer it with the Sales rep, I'd architect the solution and provide the SOW, if agreed upon I'd actually implement it, and lastly I'd be the one to do the hand off to the MSP team to manage the solution often still acting as tier 3 support.

My boss was awesome! He knew I was underpaid (I took a pay cut to take the job to get out of a boring job at a credit union) but he wasn't the final voice in if I got a raise or not. After a year of being there I went to him asking for a pretty significant raise ($20k) and he said he agreed I deserved it and even compiled a list of projects where without me it'd be highly unlikely we would have even snagged the deals, showing I was a major contributor in $1.5 million in project revenue and 10s of thousands in monthly reoccurring MSP revenue from those projects. He took all of this to the CIO (again small shop so final raise decisions were on him) and it ended up being a meeting between me and the CIO. I was grilled on why I felt I was "entitled" to a raise, I provided all the evidence my boss compiled, along with obtaining two certifications and renewing another all of which secured our partner status with those vendors (VMware, Cisco, and Citrix). The entire time he acted as if none of those points were valid, he even said "If you were to look for a similar position to what you have now, you'd have a hard time finding one that would pay you what you make now." He then said he would think about it. A week later he called me into his office and said "I've decided to give you the raise" I know I can't convey tone here but it came across as him doing me a favor. This was a pretty big red flag for me.

Two weeks later they canned my boss. Red flag number two, so I decided to start looking. When I found my next job I couldn't help but be a little petty and rub it in the CIOs face that it was actually pretty easy to find a higher paying job with my skill set.

TheFace fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 18, 2019

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
That’s some old-school thinking and a horrible negotiation tactic:

You come into my office and say you are worth more. In return I belittle your performance and tell you you are barely worth what you make now.

The social contract is really simple simple in theory: I will give you my best work for a couple of years and during that time you are going to help me improve my skills and prepare for my next role. When I am finally skilled up and ready to leave You will give me your blessing and thank me for years of service.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 18, 2019

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Assuming you're in the U.S., this is not a bad way to ask for a raise, but be aware that it is entirely possible you could hurt yourself by asking. However good or bad your immediate manager is, your incentives are fundamentally antagonistic: you want to make as much money as you can, management wants to pay you as little as they can. So, when you come at them with numbers from other places (or even without them), your manager (or their manager, or their manager's manager) may take it a signal that you have one foot out the door. Whether they give you the raise or not, they may treat you differently after you ask. They may say that you're not being a team player, they may be resentful that you would ask, they may start looking for someone to replace you (and this applies whether or not they agree to the raise).

I don't agree, unless you're limiting the conversation to poo poo managers. I was a line manager for 13 years and if an employee was worth keeping around, I wanted to pay them as much as I could. It's not coming out of my pocket, but I (well, I and my team) will be the ones hurt if the employee leaves. A good boss will understand that this is a job and people need to get paid.

I do think that the negotiated raise is, at most, a once every couple years thing, unless maybe you are very good and the company is very small. If you're pushing for a raise like this every year like clockwork, it changes the conversation from "let's show a good employee some recognition" to "this employee wants to be a special snowflake and can't accept the same merit/CoL schedule that everyone else gets."

Edit: I agree with Agrikk, except that since I've generally worked at large companies, and so I was also always looking for ways that someone's next role could still be internal. If a motivated employee wants to do something that my company does, I want to line them up to do it for us.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Fool posted:

It's worth noting that 401k plans are not actually that great and even the creator of the concept doesn't like how they are used today.

https://slate.com/business/2017/01/even-the-people-who-pushed-the-401-k-think-it-s-been-a-huge-mistake.html

It’s still pretty much the only way for anyone in the middle class to retire well or at all. It’s worked for over a half century.

Hell, everyone that lost in ‘08 recession has now earned their losses back.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

It’s still pretty much the only way for anyone in the middle class to retire well or at all. It’s worked for over a half century.

Hell, everyone that lost in ‘08 recession has now earned their losses back.

How many people are actually retiring with that magic $1 million+ in their 401k to sufficiently live off of? I know I’ve seen articles written on this before, but I best most people hit 65 with about 100k and burn through it pretty quickly, for one reason or another.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Well... if you don’t actually invest into your own retirement fund I think you are the only to blame.

I max mine out every year and take that sweet 50% employer match.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Well... if you don’t actually invest into your own retirement fund I think you are the only to blame.

I max mine out every year and take that sweet 50% employer match.

You're in a bit of a bubble dude. The vast majority of people cannot afford to save for retirement. I dunno about the US, but half of Canadians are not/cannot save for retirements. These were stats from January I think, I'm sure there are articles available.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Yeah but a lot of people are idiots and wouldn’t do it no matter how beneficial it would be. And talking about the US’ lovely social safety net is probably not best for the IT thread.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're in a bit of a bubble dude. The vast majority of people cannot afford to save for retirement. I dunno about the US, but half of Canadians are not/cannot save for retirements. These were stats from January I think, I'm sure there are articles available.

What bubble? A bunch of vague headlines that state most Americans aren't doing well, can't save up money, etc?

Of course, that is true but the discussion is on the effectiveness of the 401k. If you actually invest - in the long run - it works out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Yeah but a lot of people are idiots and wouldn’t do it no matter how beneficial it would be. And talking about the US’ lovely social safety net is probably not best for the IT thread.

If I had gold ingot for every time I heard a fellow IT Coworker they're investing in :gold: because of Ron Paul or something bullshit nonsense I'd have gold staircase to the freaking moon.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

What bubble? A bunch of vague headlines that state most Americans aren't doing well, can't save up money, etc?

Of course, that is true but the discussion is on the effectiveness of the 401k. If you actually invest - in the long run - it works out.

All right whatever you say.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

All right whatever you say.

I mean... we could just see positive returns for over the last half century.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The bubble is strong, and repulses all outside influences.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I may have a bad PTO plan, but oh boy do I rack up the comp time! Haven’t had to use any PTO yet! :cenobite:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I mean... we could just see positive returns for over the last half century.

Just like all those fortunate people who bought houses in 2007 because real estate has only ever gone up, up, up!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tab8715 posted:

“People with enough money to invest end up with more money than people who don’t have enough money to invest” isn’t exactly the most ringing endorsement of a safety net program that I’ve heard, but ok?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

Huh, so tax incentives work out well for people who pay a lot in taxes. This definitely impacts Bill Poverty in West Virginia

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gotta desperately hope you don't reach retirement age in one of the market corrections either or you'll never get to retire.

go 401k!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My retirement plan is to die at my desk. If that doesn't work hopefully one of my kids becomes a millionaire and doesnt ship me off to a home

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sepist posted:

My retirement plan is to die at my desk. If that doesn't work hopefully one of my kids becomes a millionaire and doesnt ship me off to a home

https://youtu.be/N1eNW7GG_Q8

My plan is to have nothing left to pass down or will it to be destroyed

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Personally, I'm putting all my severance and retirement account on the PowerBall.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hahaha the world is going to end before any of us get the chance to retire.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Trump gonna make us so rich I don't need a ffancy bank

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

Trump gonna make us so rich I don't need a ffancy bank

Just lol if you keep your money in a bank instead of as gold ingots buried under the old maple tree out back

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Brb, headed to Docjowles's house with some digging equipment.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Maple? This hardy American Chestnut will surely safeguard my money.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
The planet will be an uninhabitable hellscape by the time I might be looking to retire, so really, nothing matters. trump 2020 so we can just quit with the foreplay and have an apocalypse.

Internet Explorer posted:

Just like all those fortunate people who bought houses in 2007 because real estate has only ever gone up, up, up!

That was a dumb belief and not even true in 2007, though. On average, real estate has literally never been a stellar investment.

There are many reasons to buy a home, but (again, on average) accruing wealth is not one of them.

E: also a large portion of my dad's wealth is literally in coins. If he dies suddenly I am going to have to quit my job just to have time to figure out how the gently caress to sell them all.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 19, 2019

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My retirement plan involves having a massive heart attack while shoveling snow. I wish I could afford to max my 401k Jesus Christ.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Comradephate posted:

That was a dumb belief and not even true in 2007, though. On average, real estate has literally never been a stellar investment.

Ah... what?

Of course it is. It's a very large reason why things line redlining had such a profound effect on wealth generation in minority groups.

https://www.jchs.harvard.edu/sites/default/files/hbtl-06.pdf

quote:

Even after the tremendous decline in housing prices and the rising wave of foreclosures that
began in 2007, homeownership continues to be a significant source of household wealth, and remains
particularly important for lower-income and minority households. As has become painfully clear, owning
a home is not without risk. But even during a time of excessive risk taking in the mortgage market and
extreme volatility in house prices, large shares of owners successfully sustained homeownership and
created substantial wealth in the process (at least through 2009). While African-American and lowerincome households were somewhat less likely to sustain homeownership, these groups also
experienced sizeable gains in net wealth on average that was associated with owning, while renters saw
few gains. Owners who failed to sustain homeownership did suffer substantial loss in wealth, but much
of the wealth was associated with the move into homeownership, so these households essentially fell
back to their initial wealth levels. At least in terms of household wealth, failed attempts at owning do
not appear to leave the typical household worse off than when they started.

[Edit: Also, this is coming from someone who owned a house during that time period, sold it ~3 years ago, and has been renting for ~5 years. I have no desire to own a home again anytime soon and it's a better financial decision for me, and likely others in this thread, to not own a home because in our industry being able to move for a job will likely make you more money in both the short and long term. It's just not a factual statement to say home ownership is not a significant contributor to wealth generation.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 19, 2019

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
A $10,000 investment made in a home in 1896 would have been worth $10,600 in 1996 after adjusting for inflation. Over the 20th century the rate of return on an average home (for the full century!) was worse than the average rate of return from the stock market in a single year.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
How common is a holding period of 100 years for a house?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Comradephate posted:

A $10,000 investment made in a home in 1896 would have been worth $10,600 in 1996 after adjusting for inflation. Over the 20th century the rate of return on an average home (for the full century!) was worse than the average rate of return from the stock market in a single year.

Yes, but a house puts a roof over your head and a stock does absolutely nothing for you until you sell it.

If you don't have enough money to pay rent/mortgage AND buy stocks, you can take your rent money and put it into a mortgage if you buy a house. That will give you a place to live that will also increase your wealth. Lots of people don't have enough money to do both. Hell, lots of people don't have enough money to buy a house instead of rent.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

a stock does absolutely nothing for you until you sell it.

it might pay you dividends

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

it might pay you dividends

Not enough to live off of, unless you're rich AF in which case the 'benefit of a house' argument is moot.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Comradephate posted:

Wow, so living 100 years rent-free is basically no money apparently

(I'll relay this to the people I know who can't find a one-bedroom apartment under $1595/mo. to qualify for Section 8 housing, because the cutoff is $1585/mo.)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I spent 2 hours yesterday troubleshooting an issue with our badge printer before I realized that they replaced the film role and it was reporting an incorrect model number.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My house has been a great investment and is currently a -20% increase to my wealth and will absolutely never be valued at the purchase price in inflation-corrected dollars again!

Methanar fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

My house is worth almost triple what I paid for it and is less than 10 years from being completely paid off. Home ownership... owns.