Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Samu posted:

I started playing overwatch today on PC with a friend. After a few games we get matched with a guy who became very upset with how bad we were on the castle map. I told him, "hey man, we're new.", and he rages in text chat for a bit. Next game he gets put on the other team on Hollywood. I switch to Pharah, who I kinda know how to play and proceeded to kill him (junkrat) 9 times in a row, updating the kill count in all chat (that's 1 - 0, 2 - 0.... ect) , and get a triple kill as we push the payload in to win. He quit right after.

Good gaming experience. This game is fun.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Samu posted:

I started playing overwatch today on PC with a friend. After a few games we get matched with a guy who became very upset with how bad we were on the castle map. I told him, "hey man, we're new.", and he rages in text chat for a bit. Next game he gets put on the other team on Hollywood. I switch to Pharah, who I kinda know how to play and proceeded to kill him (junkrat) 9 times in a row, updating the kill count in all chat (that's 1 - 0, 2 - 0.... ect) , and get a triple kill as we push the payload in to win. He quit right after.

Good gaming experience. This game is fun.

When you can't win on pure skill, tilting the other team and baiting them into trash talking in match chat makes them a lot less effective.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pointlessone posted:

When you can't win on pure skill, tilting the other team and baiting them into trash talking in match chat makes them a lot less effective.

I find a good way to bait them into talking trash is to have a leaver on your team so they steamroll you 6v5 going the other way. Then they all spam "ez" or some poo poo.

Then you win.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pointlessone posted:

Is it possible to learn this power?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Not sure, I think you have to be born with it.

A guy I got grouped with on Hollywood tonight handed us the best psyops win I've seen in a while. In his previous game, he was on a team with a mouthy, toxic genji onetrick who just happened to be on the opposing team this time, so our guy a) warned us so we could build an anti-Genji comp and 2) chirped him literally the entire map. We shut him down and the taunting got him to the point where all he did was type poo poo about how badly his team were playing. Who knows what he was saying in vc, but it can't have been good. We took A, he ragequit and the other five just gave up. Stood perfectly still, didn't emote, didn't shoot, just idled while the cart rolled merrily to the hash marks.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

pointlessone posted:

The nice version of this is working to keep your team upbeat and cooperating so that they can work together and all feel like they should give their best effort to win.

It is much less effective. :smith:

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

Ashcans posted:

The nice version of this is working to keep your team upbeat and cooperating so that they can work together and all feel like they should give their best effort to win.

It is much less effective. :smith:

You are a good person for doing this and I appreciate everyone who makes an effort to be positive and encouraging. Even just a single sincere "good job" once in a while makes playing a lot more fun.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Pursued by bees posted:

You are a good person for doing this and I appreciate everyone who makes an effort to be positive and encouraging. Even just a single sincere "good job" once in a while makes playing a lot more fun.

I do this frequently, but my handle is Ragequit so it's often met with "Wait shouldn't you be pissed off" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"Good hanzo" at the opposing Hanzo for handing you your asses on every teamfight while 3-0ing you is a nice thing to say, and people should say it more often.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

flakeloaf posted:

"Good hanzo" at the opposing Hanzo for handing you your asses on every teamfight while 3-0ing you is a nice thing to say, and people should say it more often.

I will never praise a Hanzo

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Macaluso posted:

I will never praise a Hanzo

megane
Jun 20, 2008

every time you praise a hanzo, god nerfs orisa

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

megane posted:

every time you praise a hanzo, god nerfs orisa

good

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Have they stopped to hand out endorsement loot boxes?

Used to get a batch about every 14 days, haven't received any for about 4 weeks now.

Or do you actually have to play to be eligible?
Because I took a break apart from a couple of arcade wins every week. Still at endorsement rank 4, even got a bunch of votes after dipping into competitive 6v6.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You have to play some amount to get them.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I didn't even know that was a thing.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

New PVE Archives mission revealed. "Storm Rising," featuring a mission in Havana involving Tracer, Genji, Winston, and Mercy.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Havana ooo na na
No I do not want a banana ooo na na

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Right in time for my hand to heal up? thank you overwatch

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I'm really hoping that this is a misdirect.

Seems like a perfect way to do a switcharoo. Call everyone's attention to repeat characters, tease a bit of the same... Then the event drops and boom: Doomfist, Baptiste, Sombra and Widowmaker in a defensive run.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
They really should just bring PvE stuff back as a permanent fixture. My friends and I realised it's the stuff they put out that we all enjoyed the most, and it's just about the onyly thing that'd bring us back to the game.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Kokoro Wish posted:

They really should just bring PvE stuff back as a permanent fixture. My friends and I realised it's the stuff they put out that we all enjoyed the most, and it's just about the onyly thing that'd bring us back to the game.

It'd be nice as an option in the arcade to grind out lootboxes, and then you could actually gently caress around in the other arcade modes like you're supposed to. But that would make getting lootboxes too easy so they probably won't do that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it'd be great if they had a bunch of coop pve missions to do even between events. the latest pve thing with storm rising is def my favorite one they've done so far. it's really fast and pretty fun

I hope they just put out a full new pve coop game at some point. a borderlands style loot shooter would make a lot of sense

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Honestly if they just did some fairly throwaway recycled map stuff in arcade like "defend an important destructible McGuffin inside Ilios lighthouse from 8 waves of Null Sector omnics" I would probably play the poo poo out of it.

But I doubt they'd do that because they seem to really want all the PvE stuff (apart from Junkenstein) to be about lore. And as has been said, also because easy loot boxes. And I may be grossly underestimating how much additional stuff has to go into the maps to support this kind of thing.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Jeff said on Tuesday that any kind of sustainable pve mode with a sense of progression would require creating a new game. Retribution took 1 year to make. Storm Rising took 6 months and it's a few scant minutes of content outside of Legendary mode.

e: timestamps to when he talked about it
http://www.twitch.tv/fareeha/v/412012217?sr=a&t=5516s
http://www.twitch.tv/fareeha/v/412012217?sr=a&t=3891s

e: He also called the game "OW 1" :ssh:

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 18, 2019

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

turtlecrunch posted:

Jeff said on Tuesday that any kind of sustainable pve mode with a sense of progression would require creating a new game.

TF2 kinda managed to do this, but without any cutscenes or lore

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

geoff goodman has made it clear on numerous occasions that blizzard views "overwatch" as a franchise and not just as a game. he and others have heavily implied there would be more games for a while

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Truecon420 posted:

TF2 kinda managed to do this, but without any cutscenes or lore

There was a ton of lore. It all just was outside of the game as comics and short movies.

Edit: some of it seeped into the game, mostly as exclamations and replies the characters had in certain situations.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Overwatch as a digital card game. Would you play it?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ronnie posted:

im a whore for card games...so likely.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Ronnie posted:

god no

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Somewhere, an increasingly frantic Blizzard intern grabs his red pen and scratches out yet another idea.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

turtlecrunch posted:

Jeff, call me

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Lmao it took them 6 months to script a few bot fights

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Lmao it took them 6 months to script a few bot fights

and make literally An Map.

the project management at blizzard has to be hosed the gently caress up, because solo hobbyists were lapping their output over a decade ago.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress would overwatch 2 even be

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Montalvo posted:

destiny

they'll make an updated competitive shooter some day but not any time soon

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Montalvo posted:

An ace in the hole when Overwatch League stops treading water?

Literally the same game plus superfluous score attack PvE released once the console generational shift happens?

An excuse to wipe everyone's loot locker clean and start from Loot Box 1?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

I would instantly slurp up a reasonably well made loot shooter set in Overwatch world with some/all of the same heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Montalvo posted:

I would instantly slurp up a reasonably well made loot shooter set in Overwatch world with some/all of the same heroes.

:same: