Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

TorakFade posted:

Are they also as expensive as EU4, in that if you build one too many forts you might go into bankruptcy within a couple years? It always pissed me off that for half the game you have to be SUPER STINGY with placing forts or you'll waste tons and tons of money between building and maintaining (even a mothballed fort can be quite a drain at 0.5 ducat/month minimum)

This is much much better than the alternative of there being a ton of forts everywhere to siege down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Assuming the AI actually has to pay for them all anyway.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Mock me all you want, but EU4 followed a distinct curve of bad->good->bad again, at least for my personal tastes, and I don't think I'm entirely alone in feeling that way. Honestly it wasn't that bad at release despite the incessant screeching from the community, but you get the idea.

I wasn't mocking you, I completely agree.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Isn't Arumba's MO just to proclaim what the "meta" of the game is, with little actual knowledge of how the mechanics interact? And then it fails, and then he repeats the process until he lucks into some success? I swear I've seen this cycle repeat for every Paradox release.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

RabidWeasel posted:

Lol at Arumba refusing to interact with the game in any way beyond maximising research output, constantly saying that loyalty and ruler popularity are meaningless, then getting really mad when his king died and he had a civil war because "my country is really happy all the provinces have 0 revolt risk"

This is why I can't watch Arumba. It's his constant complaining about problems he causes.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Morrow posted:

Isn't Arumba's MO just to proclaim what the "meta" of the game is, with little actual knowledge of how the mechanics interact? And then it fails, and then he repeats the process until he lucks into some success? I swear I've seen this cycle repeat for every Paradox release.

More or less. Decide how the game is supposed to work then get mad when it doesn't.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Morrow posted:

Throw in some super pointless, tedious micro and :spergin: spreadsheets that assume everything happens in a perfect vacuum and ignores opportunity costs and you're golden.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember not liking EU4 forts, but that may have been the cherry on top of all the other things that bugged me about the game, the fact that the combat was just that much more complicated.

Also notable is that so much of the bloat in EU4's development just isn't there in CK2. The most bloating you can see is how 10 used to be the top rung of stats, but now it's just average because there are characters with 30s running around. Also the fact that the map is double the size from what it used to be, but that's not really a negative. They put a decent amount of work into making places outside of Europe worth playing in.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

He's currently bragging about being 5ish techs ahead... in a game where mil tech only gives you +0.10 morale a level. Like, I get his general point (stack all your pops in one city, ignore the rest of the province) but research is not the only end goal.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

This is why I can't watch Arumba. It's his constant complaining about problems he causes.

I have absolutely no clue how Arumba is as popular as he is.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
India will still never be a fun place to play in no matter how many times they try

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Drone posted:

I once checked this dude out and he seemed like a run of the mill facecam retard doing some hilarious campaign about jews? Coming off of DDRJake as the first dude I ever bothered watching euiv videos of I was underwhelmed to say the least

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Drone posted:

I can honestly say I started watching Arumba's videos simply because of the absolute volume of them, and at such a pace. Seriously, what does that guy do for a living?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Every now and then someone tries to suggest Arumba's tutorial for EU4.

The playlist has 136 videos and it's over 60 hours long.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Battlepope was an amusing series, though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lucas Archer posted:

Seriously, what does that guy do for a living?

Uh, this?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Drone posted:

Uh, this?

You'd think he'd eventually get good at it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You don't actually have to be "good" at streaming/youtube. Just do a lot of videos and get a ton of clicks. It's all quantity over quality, and Arumba excels at that.

Remember Reman's Paradox? Really well edited, well presented, concise videos about a number of subjects. He also hasn't made a new video in over a year. Gee, I wonder why?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

He's currently bragging about being 5ish techs ahead... in a game where mil tech only gives you +0.10 morale a level. Like, I get his general point (stack all your pops in one city, ignore the rest of the province) but research is not the only end goal.

Being ahead in tech is great because it lets you cherry pick the best inventions, also if you have some morale % modifiers on top of being multiple techs ahead you can generate a huge morale advantage which you can't really get without both factors at once.

Inventions are incredibly unbalanced (I assume that this is intentional) so ensuring that you can get all of the amazing ones like +1 trade route in every province, 5% discipline or 10% increased research points, instead of the rear end ones like 5% omen power, is one of the bigger advantages of being ahead in tech.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Lol at Arumba refusing to interact with the game in any way beyond maximising research output, constantly saying that loyalty and ruler popularity are meaningless, then getting really mad when his king died and he had a civil war because "my country is really happy all the provinces have 0 revolt risk"

what a shock

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember not liking EU4 forts, but that may have been the cherry on top of all the other things that bugged me about the game, the fact that the combat was just that much more complicated.

Also notable is that so much of the bloat in EU4's development just isn't there in CK2. The most bloating you can see is how 10 used to be the top rung of stats, but now it's just average because there are characters with 30s running around. Also the fact that the map is double the size from what it used to be, but that's not really a negative. They put a decent amount of work into making places outside of Europe worth playing in.

I think CK2s dlc policy worked because so much of it was focused. Each dlc was about a very coherent thing, rather than being a mishmash of stuff. CK2 starting with only playable Christian's helped in that regard.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I love playing Paradox games but all videos of EU4 and other grand strategy are like 3 hours long and involve staring at a map that someone else controls. Who has time to watch all that?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
There's a small subset of Paradox youtubers who do decently edited 10 minute videos.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

I love playing Paradox games but all videos of EU4 and other grand strategy are like 3 hours long and involve staring at a map that someone else controls. Who has time to watch all that?

they make for nice background noise on a second monitor while you do other stuff

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Morrow posted:

There's a small subset of Paradox youtubers who do decently edited 10 minute videos.

I kind of like Taureor, although that's more in the 30-45m range.

It's hard to find Paradox LPers who edit their videos, aren't hugely annoying memelords (sorry everyone who likes iSorrowProductions), and aren't low-key fascists.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cease to Hope posted:

I kind of like Taureor, although that's more in the 30-45m range.

It's hard to find Paradox LPers who edit their videos, aren't hugely annoying memelords (sorry everyone who likes iSorrowProductions), and aren't low-key fascists.
Taureor is the only one I've ever been able to watch more than one video of, all of them Hoi4, and its because of his time limit and his focus on a goal.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The only good Paradox youtuber is ISP

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

If you don't like truckin to Moscow or talking about how Denmark isn't a real country :frogout:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I've honestly come to enjoy watching quill18 more than Arumba. I can see how he'd get on some people's nerves, but he seems to spend more time enjoying playing the games than Arumba does.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I like Arumba when he did ck2, or his old multiplayer stuff. Too much eu4 changed him though to the point I can't stand him.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Taureor's "here's what I'm doing in this game and let's cut to the relevant bits" approach is far better than the usual "I am going to fill the long void between events by describing obvious things in painstaking detail" approach that most streamers use, by far.

For times when you want to put it on a second monitor and just chill, there's DDRJake.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 19, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I could never understand how it is that watching videos of people playing video games became a thing

Probably a generation thing, I was already too old when that started

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

I could never understand how it is that watching videos of people playing video games became a thing

I'm an old and I do it occasionally. Some times I feel interested enough in a game to see it in action but not enough to actually play it myself. Plus, it can be entertaining to watch people pull off crazy achievements and challenges that I wouldn't bother trying for myself.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, you're kind of posting on the ground zero website for that.

For me, it's honestly not any weirder than watching other people play sports :shrug:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The most I can endure are those short videos of people finishing super mario in 2 minutes, stuff like that

But I have little patience for video in general, except for movies and TV fiction

edit: yeah, probably is the same as watching sports really, which is also something I never had interest

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Elias_Maluco posted:

:same:
I can only watch short guides, sometimes. But I prefer to read a text.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Taureor's "here's what I'm doing in this game and let's cut to the relevant bits" approach is far better than the usual "I am going to fill the long void between events by describing obvious things in painstaking detail" approach that most streamers use, by far.

I recently came across a guy called Kruggsmash who does Dwarf Fortress videos, but cuts them down to just the narrative over highlights, and includes a bunch of drawings of the dwarfs and stuff. It's kinda twee in places, but it's also way more entertaining than watching hours of micromanagement. If that's the sort of thing Taureor does, I'm going to have to check them out.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I'm mid-40s, and I watch them all the time, usually as a background thing on the tablet. How old is too old?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the thing about let's plays is they can often be fun to watch when they're showing you something new about a game you're already familiar with. The informative ones that really go into depth about mechanics in a way where even if you were experienced you might not have known that's how things worked.

I don't really get the livestreaming thing where it's just watching someone play a game in realtime where no matter how informative they might be there's going to be a ton of dead air because games generally take a long time to play and it takes less time to talk about doing something than it takes to actually do it.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the thing about let's plays is they can often be fun to watch when they're showing you something new about a game you're already familiar with. The informative ones that really go into depth about mechanics in a way where even if you were experienced you might not have known that's how things worked.

I don't really get the livestreaming thing where it's just watching someone play a game in realtime where no matter how informative they might be there's going to be a ton of dead air because games generally take a long time to play and it takes less time to talk about doing something than it takes to actually do it.

Yeah, I mean to go back to Arumba there, I really prefer him when he's doing an actual let's play on his own; it's the streams where he's talking to the viewers, or his multiplayer stuff that I can't get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Depends on the game and the size of the stream for me. Chat interaction adds quite a lot to my enjoyment, either with the streamer talking to chat or just talking with other people who are watching the same thing.

Like, watching someone who's better than you at the game is enhanced when you're able to directly ask them a question about something they're doing and have them answer you straight away.

Obviously this isn't so easy on larger streams, and some games really benefit from editing, but I generally prefer streams of games over watching them on youtube these days

Wolfechu posted:

Yeah, I mean to go back to Arumba there, I really prefer him when he's doing an actual let's play on his own; it's the streams where he's talking to the viewers, or his multiplayer stuff that I can't get through.

He's pretty frustrating to watch live and he doesn't really interact with chat in a very productive way - either not paying enough attention to understand what people are saying or telling people they're wrong when he's the one misunderstanding the mechanic.

When he knows his stuff like he does with EU4 he's pretty informative, but it's really painful to watch him with any new game.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 19, 2019