Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's less his method that is bad and more the fact he just doesn't loving write. Him letting the characters take him where they will or w/e would be fine if he actually wrote every day, or was willing to write when he's on the road. But he's a weird old man who refuses to use anything but his old WordStar machine lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Dongicus posted:

The book barn ppl/gbs guys who wrote the gross fanfic are the worst asoiaf fans

Criticising grrm is good. but its rlly sad watching these computer janitors do that low irony cynical badass poo poo where they pretend that theyve always hated the series.

I don't pretend to have always hate the series but I have always hated A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons. Even as I was reading them the first time. It wasn't some kind of thing where I decided it later after going online

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

wilderthanmild posted:

It's a sesame Street skit featuring Dinklage and Headly.

They did a "game of chairs" episode on Sesame Street before.

Its fun, and I guess the Sesame Street people are just GOT fans, but I do have to question projects like this a little bit.

What's the audience? Kids watching Sesame Street should not be watching Game of Thrones.
I guess adult fans of Henson, but feels like we're a minority these days.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Its fun, and I guess the Sesame Street people are just GOT fans, but I do have to question projects like this a little bit.

What's the audience? Kids watching Sesame Street should not be watching Game of Thrones.
It’s for parents watching with their kids, I think. The kids won’t get the joke but the parents will.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s for parents. They’ve done similar things with SVU and Mad Men, which are also definitely not for children. They did a Twin Peaks one way back in 1990 as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

esperterra posted:

It's less his method that is bad and more the fact he just doesn't loving write. Him letting the characters take him where they will or w/e would be fine if he actually wrote every day, or was willing to write when he's on the road. But he's a weird old man who refuses to use anything but his old WordStar machine lmao

But he did write, a ton. ASOIAF is longer than LOTR and the bible combined.

Its just now that he's rich, he doesn't really have to write anymore. And on top of that, he got so famous, he's got performance anxiety about actually wrapping up the series.

He needs a producer/publisher who will take away his internet access and lock him in a room until he produces the last text. But again he's rich so nobody can really take him to task anymore.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s for parents. They’ve done similar things with SVU and Mad Men, which are also definitely not for children. They did a Twin Peaks one way back in 1990 as well.

Oh nice.

Yeah, that makes sense I guess. The kids won't even remember what the episode was about but the stay at home moms and dads can get a chuckle seeing it in the background.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zaphod42 posted:

People watch TV with their kids.

E: beaten.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 18, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Zaphod42 posted:

The parents hanging around watching Sesame Street with their kids, most likely. I remember watching Sesame Street with my mom and asking her, for example, who Ziggy Marley was.

And GOT is so entrenched in the culture, even if the kids don't watch it, they might recognize the characters, even if it's just at the level 'oh, that's the lady on that poster my dad has' or something.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Also I believe both Dinklage and Headey have little kids who might like seeing their parents hang out with Elmo

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

lol if you think that this was planned way back in s1. They had to make up the whole "Septon journals" plot and have the literal script's avatar confirm it just because they either forgot or decided not to include the one character that was present at the Tower of Joy and is still alive to confirm Jon's parentage.

Jon's parentage reveal has been very clumsily handled in the show, which is quite shocking since that's the very reason D&D even got the greenlight to make the show.

Jon standing in front of Ned's tomb when Sam reveals this was something coincidental rather than D&D's 8 year master plan finally paying off

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Well, it's not really a coincidence either. If I roll a die and get a "3", then years later have 3 kids then stop, that's neither a coincidence nor a plan "from the beginning".

Planning stuff from the beginning is horribly overrated anyway. Vince Gilligan had no idea what Walter White was gonna do with the machine gun. Meanwhile, Westworld's "two timeframes" was planned from the beginning and that sucked.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 19, 2019

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
There's plenty of good (or at least productive) media that comes from extensive planning or flying by the seat of the creator's pants. You can be efficient no matter your approach, but you still gotta put words down to get there.

Stephen King is the guy who stupefies GRRM with how prolific he is and he never outlines anything iirc. He also sits down and writes like it's a job, because it is (the consistency or lack thereof in quality of his later stuff notwithstanding).

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Soul Glo posted:

(the consistency or lack thereof in quality of his later stuff notwithstanding).

cocaine is a helluva drug

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Otacon posted:

cocaine is a helluva drug

Yeah Stephen King is impressively prolific but he also would be dead without that self-discipline by this point.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Lycus posted:

Well, it's not really a coincidence either. If I roll a die and get a "3", then years later have 3 kids then stop, that's neither a coincidence nor a plan "from the beginning".

Planning stuff from the beginning is horribly overrated anyway. Vince Gilligan had no idea what Walter White was gonna do with the machine gun. Meanwhile, Westworld's "two timeframes" was planned from the beginning and that sucked.

Yeah you also don't have to plan from the beginning to intentionally put it in there later. There's nothing wrong with that as long as it works. It's just a lot of times people gently caress it up and make it all hand waving or all too convenient.

Of course comic book writers do this all of the time and it's usually awful.

But in this case it was pretty cool. Of course whether it was intentional or not is up for debate.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I thought the initial reveal of Jon's parentage in season 6 was handled really well but then they had to do it again with Sam and Bran in season 7 in case people didn't get it the first time, which apparently (anecdotally, at least) a lot of people didn't

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

romanowski posted:

I thought the initial reveal of Jon's parentage in season 6 was handled really well but then they had to do it again with Sam and Bran in season 7 in case people didn't get it the first time, which apparently (anecdotally, at least) a lot of people didn't

Yeah, people are bad at watching shows. But also, the annulment wasn't revealed in season 6. Jon was Jon Sand at that point, based on the information given. While it revealed that Jon was the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, he was still a bastard. Not until Gilly came across that one entry from the High Septon's diary. Season 6 revealed his parentage, season 7 revealed his heirship.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

People are indeed terrible at watching shows. Most people still think Dany's name is Khaleesi.

teagone posted:

Yeah, people are bad at watching shows. But also, the annulment wasn't revealed in season 6. Jon was Jon Sand at that point, based on the information given. While it revealed that Jon was the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, he was still a bastard. Not until Gilly came across that one entry from the High Septon's diary.

Yeah but the show's also made it clear that a bastard can easily sit the throne, all that really matters is that you have military/political strength. So everything about nobility and proper succession is a wash. Robert wasn't anywhere in the line, but he sat the throne. So him being not a bastard isn't really a big deal.

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

lol if you think that this was planned way back in s1. They had to make up the whole "Septon journals" plot and have the literal script's avatar confirm it just because they either forgot or decided not to include the one character that was present at the Tower of Joy and is still alive to confirm Jon's parentage.

Jon's parentage reveal has been very clumsily handled in the show, which is quite shocking since that's the very reason D&D even got the greenlight to make the show.

Jon standing in front of Ned's tomb when Sam reveals this was something coincidental rather than D&D's 8 year master plan finally paying off

I could see this as being some part of the notes Martin gave D&D on the endgame of the series hastily scribbled in crayon under the title "Dramatic Irony" in all caps and double underline.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zaphod42 posted:

People are indeed terrible at watching shows. Most people still think Dany's name is Khaleesi.

This isn't really the case any more, it was what people exclusively used for her for a long time but now people call her Dany.
I work for the company that shows the programme in the UK and the Khaleesi thing annoyed the hell out of me, I'm glad it's basically over.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Taear posted:

This isn't really the case any more, it was what people exclusively used for her for a long time but now people call her Dany.
I work for the company that shows the programme in the UK and the Khaleesi thing annoyed the hell out of me, I'm glad it's basically over.

To be honest the "Khaleesi is just a title:smug:" guys were more annoying.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Lots of people who called her "Khaleesi" knew it wasn't her name. Just like they called Cersei "the Queen". But people love to nerdsplain.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Zaphod42 posted:

Robert wasn't anywhere in the line, but he sat the throne

Robert, Stannis and Renly were all second cousins to Rhaegar, Viserys and Dani. It's a weaker claim but it checks out.

Jon is at least distantly related to about half the GoT characters.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lycus posted:

Lots of people who called her "Khaleesi" knew it wasn't her name. Just like they called Cersei "the Queen". But people love to nerdsplain.

excuse me it's kelly c, do you even know how to spell lol

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

esperterra posted:

loving I've been skimming these GoT threads on SA since season 1 and I knew everyone called her "kelly C" for some reason but it never clicked it was khaleesi until now. goddamnit

I thought there was some "Emilia C" > "Kelly C" thing going on for years

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

loving I've been skimming these GoT threads on SA since season 1 and I knew everyone called her "kelly C" for some reason but it never clicked it was khaleesi until now. goddamnit

I thought there was some "Emilia C" > "Kelly C" thing going on for years

you sweet summer child

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh poo poo it has just dawned on me that Dany and the Kingslayer are now in the same place.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Oh poo poo it has just dawned on me that Dany and the Kingslayer are now in the same place.

Did you watch the preview?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I kinda thought they would eventually show Greywater Watch in the show as they could just film in Louisiana and get all those juicy tax breaks.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The show Cersei has pretty much lost any sympathetic traits she had. For all her "I love my children I'd do anything for them" she clearly loves power + the crown more. Knowing Tomen would walk out of a window if she blew up the sept I don't get the impression she'd have done anything differently.

I don't think she's intended to be a particularly sharp tool in the shed either. It might not be an important detail in the long run but she basically steered her life based on a hot reading from a gypsy fortune teller which is hilariously sad when you consider the extent to which it broke her brain. The actual elements of the fortune were "you're going to be queen but the kings going to cheat on you a lot" which isn't a huge leap of imagination. The other two parts were "a younger prettier woman will take your place" and "your kids will die" which are probably also pretty common fears. The prophecy is spot on in retrospect but there was never any indication that it was real so I wonder how much of it was magic and how much was Cersei steering due confirmation-bias and being the root of her own downfall (or, upfall currently I guess?)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

NtotheTC posted:

The show Cersei has pretty much lost any sympathetic traits she had. For all her "I love my children I'd do anything for them" she clearly loves power + the crown more. Knowing Tomen would walk out of a window if she blew up the sept I don't get the impression she'd have done anything differently.

I don't think she's intended to be a particularly sharp tool in the shed either. It might not be an important detail in the long run but she basically steered her life based on a hot reading from a gypsy fortune teller which is hilariously sad when you consider the extent to which it broke her brain. The actual elements of the fortune were "you're going to be queen but the kings going to cheat on you a lot" which isn't a huge leap of imagination. The other two parts were "a younger prettier woman will take your place" and "your kids will die" which are probably also pretty common fears. The prophecy is spot on in retrospect but there was never any indication that it was real so I wonder how much of it was magic and how much was Cersei steering due confirmation-bias and being the root of her own downfall (or, upfall currently I guess?)

Being “replaced” by Marge was a real stretch, even given that Tommen was such a little wiener that he would be exactly the kind of man who would need his wife to cut up his hot dogs and make his doctor’s appointments for him and generally be a mother substitute. But it’s inevitable that children grow up and leave their parents, so the prophecy seems like maybe a more explicit version of the pretty reasonable fear that a woman’s only value in a medieval society is making children and that outside of that role she’d basically be tossed aside like garbage. Like, there are actually good reasons to be afraid of that want it to not happen.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

NtotheTC posted:

Because she entirely puts the blame on Tyrion.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

For the longest time I thought "Kelly C" was somehow a reference to her looking like Kelly Clarkson lmao

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

For the longest time I thought "Kelly C" was somehow a reference to her looking like Kelly Clarkson lmao

But she doesn't look like Kelly Clarkson. At all.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say Kelly C outside of these forums

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I would like to see a scientific study done on goon facial blindness. God drat, Kelly Clarkson? What in the actual gently caress man?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alhazred posted:

I have no idea what kelly Clarkson looks like

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What I'm saying is that Kelly Clarkson is the only famous "kelly c" that I could think of, so I thought that was the reference

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

DrNutt posted:

I would like to see a scientific study done on goon facial blindness. God drat, Kelly Clarkson? What in the actual gently caress man?

This is a weird thing to freak out about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alhazred posted:

That's precisely the reason why it'd make sense for goons to name Dany after her.