Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

OutofSight posted:

Thank god there is steam's "big picture" mode. Instead of the in-game input , you can use the one for the steam launcher. Gives you waaayyy bigger character limit.
Even long names like "Artorias the Abysswalker" or "Bradley of the Old Guard" for example seem to fit in the field.

This used to risk getting you softbanned if you did it. Not sure if they care now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gobblecoque posted:

It's real dumb and bad looking how when you get close to them they'll spin on a dime like a goddamn dreidel to face you.

I've never played the version of dreidel where you spin them on dimes. But yeah, those freakin salamanders are definitely on the short list for "most bullshit enemy in the Souls series".

Can anyone think of something that can top them? I'm honestly drawing a blank. The fact that they have a massive amount of hp makes it tough for other annoying enemies to measure up.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Tallgeese posted:

This used to risk getting you softbanned if you did it. Not sure if they care now.

From my experience I would say no. Or the softbanned servers are very busy for all my fancy name chars.

DS2 softban system is such an arcane affair (and not really that administrated anymore).

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The dogs in the Gutter, any dog in DS3, the Ringed City casters. First dog can attack way early in his animation, second dogs are fast attacker’s in a game without poise, the unnerfed casters were just garbage.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
DS3 dogs are a total joke if you have literally any shield

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

skasion posted:

DS3 dogs are a total joke if you have literally any fire

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I have a Shield. It’s on my back, increasing my soul gain. Like a man!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I will defend a lot of aspects of DS2, but not the lazy susan fire lizards.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

Paracelsus posted:

I will defend a lot of aspects of DS2, but not the lazy susan fire lizards.

they make you spin!! what is even with that?

right. I have all these delicious great souls now, I am going to try and go back to the earlier areas, see what I missed, I kinda zipped through spider-town because it creeped me the poo poo out, so I bet I've missed things there.

I rescued a bird lady and I have no idea where she's gone, so that's my next mission.

Oh, here are good places to drop down co-op signs? I want to get some more human effigies but mine never seem to get interacted with.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Spider town is a good place to explore with regard to your other goals.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Banjodark posted:

right. I have all these delicious great souls now, I am going to try and go back to the earlier areas, see what I missed, I kinda zipped through spider-town because it creeped me the poo poo out, so I bet I've missed things there.

I rescued a bird lady and I have no idea where she's gone, so that's my next mission.

Oh, here are good places to drop down co-op signs? I want to get some more human effigies but mine never seem to get interacted with.

She went to spider town, coincidentally

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Banjodark posted:

yeah go down into the sandpit after spider town to find the bird lady and also something to do with those souls!

DS2 pvp/coop is pretty much dead besides community events, you'll have very low chances to be summoned anywhere. Most of the people playing don't want to summon. SotFS also added a shitton of NPC summons everywhere so actual summons are even less likely to be used. I'm replaying DS2 this week and I only saw summon signs from other players in the first zone, none after that; and I wasn't invaded at all by other players, and I'm currently ~75% done with the game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bogart posted:

The dogs in the Gutter, any dog in DS3, the Ringed City casters. First dog can attack way early in his animation, second dogs are fast attacker’s in a game without poise, the unnerfed casters were just garbage.

The Gutter dogs also have a hilariously large hitbox that's, like, 1.5x their entire loving model when they attack.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect
am now upgrading the placement of the archers in Shulva - Sanctum City as most challenging boss in this game so far.

also whoever decided those terrifying spit-statues should be put on creatures that walk around that seem to be immortal, why :(

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wackily enough, you can kill the statue groups but you need to hit the thing at the bottom not the statues themselves. Shoot it (Shulva really wants you to give projectile weapons a try in case the two new ones or all the arrow hittable switches didn’t tip you off) or hit it with some kind of AOE attack like Flame Swathe or Wrath of God. Or run away that works too.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

skasion posted:

Wackily enough, you can kill the statue groups but you need to hit the thing at the bottom not the statues themselves. Shoot it (Shulva really wants you to give projectile weapons a try in case the two new ones or all the arrow hittable switches didn’t tip you off) or hit it with some kind of AOE attack like Flame Swathe or Wrath of God. Or run away that works too.

I am now downgrading them as I have discovered by activating all of the pillars/columns you can block their Line of Sight and make the whole area much easier to get through.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Having a bow really makes shulva a lot easier. I'd recommend the dragonrider bow!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the ugliest levels and what are the best looking? Earthen Peak and Shaded Woods suffer from having the same muddy texture copy-pasted and unbroken by geometry. Brighstone Cove looks like rear end. On the opposite hand we have Heide's Tower, the Dragon Aerie, and the Shrine of Amana which as atmospheric as a bitch. All three of the Lost Crown levels are cool, barring the co-op bosses, and it's a shame Dark Souls 3 was boring with it's extra levels: a rehash of the painted-world and yet another citadel that turns into a swamp.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The Gutter is pretty ugly because it’s a lazy AF Blighttown and there are couches in the wall textures.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dreg Heap and Ringed City both look alright to me. Dreg Heap could have been cooler looking though.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Ds2 has all kinds of really impressive areas design wise, although the technical implementation leaves a lot to be desired in most cases. Like forest of the fallen giants is a great area with a cool design, but the textures are meh and the colors too muted. Same with drangleic for instance, the run up to the castle is gorgeous, the insides are bland. Dragon shrine looks stunning but again, a bit monotonous in regards to textures and such.

I think ds2 has the most varied and interestingly designed areas of all soulsborne games, but also some of the worst technical graphics in lots of places.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Dragon Shrine looks cool as hell, but there’s nothing in it. DS2 is like a Sears catalog of sample areas where all you see is the preview version. They’re not fleshed out. Forest of Fallen Giants is the only one in the base game that feels complete. Maybe Iron Keep.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Samopsa posted:

Ds2 has all kinds of really impressive areas design wise, although the technical implementation leaves a lot to be desired in most cases. Like forest of the fallen giants is a great area with a cool design, but the textures are meh and the colors too muted. Same with drangleic for instance, the run up to the castle is gorgeous, the insides are bland. Dragon shrine looks stunning but again, a bit monotonous in regards to textures and such.

I think ds2 has the most varied and interestingly designed areas of all soulsborne games, but also some of the worst technical graphics in lots of places.

The technical cuts they made to preserve 60 FPS went deep. I obviously wish they had designed their art style and tweaked the engine around a 60 FPS baseline from the beginning instead of having to carve it up like a Thanksgiving turkey post hoc, but I'm glad that they went the way of gameplay over visual fidelity. It's rather bland in places without the fancy technical accompaniments, but, like you said, it covers enough ground to compensate. At least it's not the washed out grimdark mess of DS3.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

DS2 has a bunch of areas with interesting visual aesthetics that aren't always successful. I think what I like so much about it is that while Dark Souls looked like a well-lit version of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 2 looks entirely like its own thing, while retaining a bit of the surreal fantasy that was more prevalent in Demon's Souls than in Dark Souls.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, DS2 really tried to be it's own thing and deviate from just medieval castles, forests, catacombs, and lava lakes. Those elements are there, but also weird lakes underneath tree-roots, giant castles operated by soulgolems in a perpetual thunderstorm, the forest is not just a forest but shrouded in fog, or grown from the corpses of giants after a giant battle, you can go on and on. Almost every place has something unique or distinct. Even the places that seem boring or standard have some kind of twist, like the statues in the gutter, the titular doors of pharros, the pursuer hunting you in the bastille, the danger of using light in the crypt....

That's why DS3 really bummed me out, everything in that game seems like it only exists to reference dark souls 1, and there are barely any unique places. Even the areas that are visually distinct and seem 'new' like Irithyll are eventually shown to just be elaborate DS1 references. I think untended graves and archdragon peak are the only truly 'unique' places (and I think both are cool!) ... both are secret areas though.

I'd take the unpolished but unique areas of DS2 over the supremely polished but boring DS3 areas any time.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Speaking of secret areas, is there anything like Painted World from DS1 that I would be super likely to miss without a guide in this one?

Also, how much more game is there after I get the 4 big souls?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

dantheman650 posted:

Speaking of secret areas, is there anything like Painted World from DS1 that I would be super likely to miss without a guide in this one?

If you include the DLC you're probably about half way done after defeating the 4 old ones.

There are no areas that are as hidden as Painted World / Ash Lake / Untended Graves / Archdragon Peak. There are some semi-hidden optional areas (all covenant-related) like Grave of Saints (rats), Belfry Sol/Luna (bellkeepers), Undead Purgatory (darkwraiths), Cathedral of Blue (cops) and the Dark Chasm of Old (darkdivers). The last one is the most difficult to find. There are a ton of small secrets in areas though, a lot more compared to the other games.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

dantheman650 posted:

I'd say you have a third of the game left not counting DLC, you're less than halfway counting DLC (the DkS2 DLC is probably the longest and most comprehensive in the franchise, all told).

The game's structure is basically an inversion of Dark Souls, so getting the four great souls is roughly like having the Lordvessel in hand.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
A couple of the keys that lead to DLC areas and some of the "memory" segments are easily missable.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
If you talk to a certain female NPC off in the distance in a castle, she'll reveal all the areas and Bonfires on your warp map. You can use this to see where you haven't been yet.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Once you get all four souls, you'll be off to meet the king you've been hearing all these great things about :yum:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Djeser posted:

Once you get all four souls, you'll be off to meet the king you've been hearing all these great things about :yum:

extremely good av/post combo

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The gutter is cool as hell and only got cooler with sotfs. Spend some time and explore it, light all the torches if you can, ride some ziplines. It reminds me of the awesome giant wooden fort playground that was at the park I used to beg my dad to take me to.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the gutter is just a bunch of wooden planks and is like if you sucked all the personality out of blighttown. only slightly related but I really really dislike how poison is a very artificial green color in ds2. it feels too 'videogamey' to me, I can't buy into it.

love shrine of amana though. it didn't need to get nerfed.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Gutter owns

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

How? It’s brown scaffolding with a few hollows and mutant dogs.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The Gutter is extremely cool to traverse and is a really good use of the torch mechanic. It sucks that the aesthetics were phoned in. It would have been cool to see it as some kind of even-more-forgotten culture that's been buried beneath ages of refuse, since that would very much play into the whole 'decaying dignity' that the Souls games love so much.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gutter is a reasonably interesting level to play, but visually it’s dire. Right after that is a level which is basically a straight line with a hole on one side that you can jump into, but hey, it looks great!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

skasion posted:

Gutter is a reasonably interesting level to play, but visually it’s dire. Right after that is a level which is basically a straight line with a hole on one side that you can jump into, but hey, it looks great!

I dunno, I think the way the lighting works out makes the Gutter look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

How? It’s brown scaffolding with a few hollows and mutant dogs.

Yeah, and it still manages to have a lot of varying challenges, interesting setpieces and lots of tiny secrets. It's a lot of fun to explore all over again every time, and I admire the design a lot for that.