Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

He feels righteous. They murdered the portion of the crew that stayed loyal to him who were crying for mercy, and did so without a hint of remorse. Check out again the scene where they're murdering the rest of the crew. Yondu is quietly seething with rage, betrayal, and depression. This was his crew, his people, and they've not only turned against him but are murdering other members of the crew who wouldn't join in the mutiny. Now he gets to make the murdering assholes pay. They did this to themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeDDiaUyq-4

yes i watched the movie too

like, you're not gonna make me rectroactively feel emotional that yondu died. quill is right in gotg1 when he points out that just because yondu isn't the literal worst person doesn't mean he deserves thanks but then gotg2 does a whole 180 on that and it didn't work for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah GotG1 was already inching toward the idea that Yondu was actually more of a softy and that Quill and his relationship is more than what it seems on the surface, but they seemed to completely fast track that in 2 in a way that felt rushed and sort've undeserved, and by the end they were treating him nearly like a martyr. It would've helped a lot if we got more scenes with Quill and Yondu, maybe even some flashbacks to contrast their relationship with the idealized version Ego was trying to sell.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vintersorg posted:

Thank god it’s not like how it used to be. I loving hated lining up for big movies. My anxiety went they the roof to get good seats and competing with other thirsty people.

I lined up at 4pm for the midnight showing of Avatar opening day because the legit IMAX theater near me then had no reserved seating. Also no Thursday night preshows back then either.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

It's definitely up there just because of how much time people have invested in the series to this point.

Only other contenders for "most anticipated" I can think of are The Matrix Reloaded, Empire Strikes Back, and The Lost World.

Gotta be force awakens. 976 million domestic adjusted and 500 of that in the first four weeks.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

teagone posted:

I lined up at 4pm for the midnight showing of Avatar opening day because the legit IMAX theater near me then had no reserved seating. Also no Thursday night preshows back then either.

How is reserved seating not an actual thing in the US? I can't imagine not reserving my seats

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

Gotta be force awakens. 976 million domestic adjusted and 500 of that in the first four weeks.

Phantom Menace as well, yea. Not sure how I forgot to mention those.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I know when I watch a movie my primary purpose is the judge the moral worth of each character, and then rank the movie on how well the ultimate fate of that character matches what they karmically deserve.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

pospysyl posted:

I know when I watch a movie my primary purpose is the judge the moral worth of each character, and then rank the movie on how well the ultimate fate of that character matches what they karmically deserve.

Same here man.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

McCloud posted:

How is reserved seating not an actual thing in the US? I can't imagine not reserving my seats

It is at some theaters but not at all. It's not even a chain thing. Here in Orlando there's a Regal Cinema that has reserved seating, and another Regal Cinema less than 30 minutes away that doesn't.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
AMC has it at most if not all theaters now and they're by far the biggest chain, so it's pretty standard.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Seriously. You're not missing anything at all.

I like the cheering crowds.

I legit wish I could've seen something like, The Beach Bum with an Avengers like crowd too. That would've been nice. :(

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I guess, you still get that on week 2 or whatever though. I had a HELL of a game audience for The VVitch, many walkouts, lots of people seemed offended that it was even made.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

When I saw the VVitch I sat right next to a guy who didn't like seeing blood. Buddy, if you don't like blood, why would you see a rated R horror film?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not here you don't! It really sucks! Hereditary was probably the closest I got to a large audience two weeks later. Decent experience.

Basically the only time I can be around one is during some big nerdy blockbuster. The more into it the crowd is, the more it sticks in my head. Freddy Vs Jason was some awesome poo poo. Same with the Friday remake.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

teagone posted:

I think Phase 3 has the most boring and "just ok" films in it, save for maybe a little bit of Ragnarok. Nothing really standout that I can recall

How dare you

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

pospysyl posted:

When I saw the VVitch I sat right next to a guy who didn't like seeing blood. Buddy, if you don't like blood, why would you see a rated R horror film?

*me, leaning over to my date before the VVitch starts* I'm a bit of a foodie, and I heard this movie is about living deliciously, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

I like the cheering crowds.

If you like that, you’re gonna love sitcoms filmed in front of a live studio audience.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

McCloud posted:

This was back in 2009. Reserved seating wasn't really in a lot of theaters back then, or reclining seats. It's one of the few 70mm IMAX theaters in Illinois, so it's an older theater. It has since added recliners and reserved seating I believe.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I guess, you still get that on week 2 or whatever though. I had a HELL of a game audience for The VVitch, many walkouts, lots of people seemed offended that it was even made.

People were mad at my screening of the VVitch, poo poo was too funny. Almost as good as some guy yelling "This is BULLSHIT" as he stormed out of the screening of Spring Breakers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
To this day I still don't understand the virulence of the reaction to that movie, but when I think back on it, A24 definitely noticed and got a lot more lasered in with their marketing. Like they figured out who their audience was and beamed all their poo poo directly to that audience and no one else.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I stopped watching the VVitch but that's because they started out with (a tastefully done, for a horror movie) baby death, which is the literal one thing I cannot stand. Hits me on a deep level and I simply don't want those emotions in my life. Having said that, it was a cool premise and I saw some clips later that looked really good, Black Phillip owns.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

There's only one theater here that does reserved seating and I'm not a fan, because it's a pain to figure out where the good seats are when you aren't actually in the room, and also it's the only theater in town with big recliners that lean all the way back with footrests La-Z-Boy style and have little treat tables, the sight of which kind of gives me this Reverend Toller feeling of alienation and revulsion.

I'm not saying I watch movies on a hard wooden pew while drinking lukewarm water, but there's comfort and then there's too much.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's the Schlaang Super Seat and you'll never convince me otherwise. Some of them lean so fuckin far back you feel like you're in a dentist's chair.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

All theaters near me have reserved seating. Back at my parents place, even the $2 Tuesday Matinee theater has reserved seating. There's only one theater by them that doesn't have reserved seating, and it's at a soon-to-be-dead shopping mall.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

To this day I still don't understand the virulence of the reaction to that movie,

A virulent reaction’s totally unwarranted, but it did end up being this banal pic about the dark side of the American Dream, mom & dad with 2.5 kids are strugglin’ to make ends meet, etc.

It’s not even half as uncomfortable as the British film Exhibit A, which has the same narrative minus the witches. And in terms of being a period piece about belief in witchcraft, it’s way outclassed by Macbeth (from the same year).

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Black Phillip is GOAT

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I Before E posted:

There's only one theater here that does reserved seating and I'm not a fan, because it's a pain to figure out where the good seats are when you aren't actually in the room

The ones near me actually have a little map that pops up when you're buying a ticket online so you can see exactly where all the free seats are, their distance and angle from the screen, etc etc..

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A virulent reaction’s totally unwarranted, but it did end up being this banal pic about the dark side of the American Dream, mom & dad with 2.5 kids are strugglin’ to make ends meet, etc.

It’s not even half as uncomfortable as the British film Exhibit A, which has the same narrative minus the witches. And in terms of being a period piece about belief in witchcraft, it’s way outclassed by Macbeth (from the same year).

Exhibit A is savage

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brother Entropy posted:

yes i watched the movie too

like, you're not gonna make me rectroactively feel emotional that yondu died. quill is right in gotg1 when he points out that just because yondu isn't the literal worst person doesn't mean he deserves thanks but then gotg2 does a whole 180 on that and it didn't work for me

I mean, you're sort of missing the point. Yondu isn't played as a psychotic murderer, he's played as your everyday action hero who responds to violent aggression with violent aggression. If you're willing to extend that critique to basically the entire genre GotG occupies, then that's fair, but the movie isn't doing anything unique and to act like it is, is a little disingenuous.

Like, the first act of Predator is about Ahnuld and co slaughtering a South American guerilla camp. John Rambo tears bloody swathes through Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Burma. I can think of, like, one action movie that values human life in any reasonable way and actually follows through on it, and that's Terminator 2, a movie where fans constantly bitch about that aspect even if they like the movie (because, shock, it goes directly against the usual tropes they expect).

(My point here is not that GotG deserves a free pass: I actually agree that the trope of "spectacle = mass death" is a little uncomfortable. I just think it's a trope that needs to be attacked as a whole and not just focusing on one specific movie that's frankly lighter on it than most.)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

gotg2 ends with a drat viking funeral and everyone going 'you know, in the end yondu really was a cool and good guy', it's unearned schmaltz

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Continuing my Marvel movie marathon. I am on Ant-Man now, I really love this movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like, the first act of Predator is about Ahnuld and co slaughtering a South American guerilla camp. John Rambo tears bloody swathes through Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Burma. I can think of, like, one action movie that values human life in any reasonable way and actually follows through on it, and that's Terminator 2, a movie where fans constantly bitch about that aspect even if they like the movie (because, shock, it goes directly against the usual tropes they expect).

Just because I whisper "hell yeah" when Arnold chucks a knife into a guerilla's stomach and says "Stick around" does not mean I can't acknowledge the fact that him and his guys are committing war crimes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

gotg2 ends with a drat viking funeral and everyone going 'you know, in the end yondu really was a cool and good guy', it's unearned schmaltz

I hate everything about that movie so much. I am going to watch it again for my marathon, but I know i'm going to hate it. Guardians 2 is the worst of the Marvel movies by far in my opinion.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brother Entropy posted:

Because, by the standards of the genre GotG2 occupies, Yondu didn't actually do anything bad.

This is what I'm saying: in the action genre, killing people who are identified as Bad Guys is almost always considered a morally neutral act at absolute worst (if not an outright good deed), and actual bad deeds can be smoothed over by just having the hero like you enough (coughFastandFuriouscough). There is a gulf between his actions and his treatment after dying if you apply realistic standards to it, but if you apply the standards of the genre, there's no incongruity whatsoever and everything pretty much tracks.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, you're sort of missing the point. Yondu isn't played as a psychotic murderer, he's played as your everyday action hero who responds to violent aggression with violent aggression. If you're willing to extend that critique to basically the entire genre GotG occupies, then that's fair, but the movie isn't doing anything unique and to act like it is, is a little disingenuous.

(My point here is not that GotG deserves a free pass: I actually agree that the trope of "spectacle = mass death" is a little uncomfortable. I just think it's a trope that needs to be attacked as a whole and not just focusing on one specific movie that's frankly lighter on it than most.)

In what way does T2 respect human life more than other action movies? I'm not being socratic here I just haven't seen it since I was 13

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Because, by the standards of the genre GotG2 occupies, Yondu didn't actually do anything bad.

Nothing is as bad as it being canon that Loki was brainwashed by his staff and nothing about Avengers 1 was his fault.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This is what I'm saying: in the action genre, killing people who are identified as Bad Guys is almost always considered a morally neutral act at absolute worst (if not an outright good deed), and actual bad deeds can be smoothed over by just having the hero like you enough (coughFastandFuriouscough). There is a gulf between his actions and his treatment after dying if you apply realistic standards to it, but if you apply the standards of the genre, there's no incongruity whatsoever and everything pretty much tracks.

quill himself goes from 'you don't deserve thanks for enslaving me but not eating me' in gotg1 to 'wow you were my real dad all along' in gotg2

it's nonsense

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

quill himself goes from 'you don't deserve thanks for enslaving me but not eating me' in gotg1 to 'wow you were my real dad all along' in gotg2

it's nonsense

I can't stop thinking about how Peter could have single handily killed Thanos if he hadn't killed his real dad.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Daddy Thanos posted:

In what way does T2 respect human life more than other action movies? I'm not being socratic here I just haven't seen it since I was 13

The Terminator that goes around killing everyone in 1 doesn't kill a single person in 2, mostly due to being held back by a little kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Daddy Thanos posted:

John Connor insists that the T-800 not kill anybody, and the movie follows through with this and treats him as morally correct for having insisted on it (and Sarah as somewhat morally ambiguous for not being on board). Hell, when John finds out that Sarah's planning to kill Miles Dyson he's straight up horrified and goes out of his way to stop her- and it works and causes Miles to become their new buddy.

The latter point doesn't tend to attract any complaints, but I see people gripe about how silly they think the Cyberdyne siege sequence is all the time.