Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Got the 7-8 lb pork shoulder on at 6:45 this morning. It'll never be done by dinner. This is the story of every time I smoke something. :allears:

Have some butcher paper this time around to try to crutch if I need to (I will). Only have used foil in the past.

Butcher paper and foil both basically work the same. They both stop smoke from coming in and moisture from leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

As far as I understand, you're not going to get much smoke absorbed past the first few hours anyway. And the stall hits much later in the smoke anyway, so I don't think you're missing much. Supposedly butcher paper lets the meat breathe a little better than foil so the bark isn't a soggy mess when you take it out. That was my experience this one time I've used it so far. Better bark vs. foil (but still more moist vs no crutch) and still helps hold in the moisture/heat to get through the stall faster. Bark was probably 8/10 as good as it could have been vs. no crutch according to my barkometer.

Meat was good. Unrolled the paper around 192. Unrolled and not removed because it was at this point that I realized I forgot to wrap the shoulder in twine and I didn't want it to fall apart to the depths of my smoker. :v: It dropped a bit in temp then rose back up above 195. I probed it a couple times and it was tender so I pulled it around 197 and let it rest for a half hour or so.

It was good and juicy but every time I smoke something that isn't brisket I get that longing feeling. Still, want to do some beef ribs and some chicken wings at some point.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 15, 2019

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
My pork came out great! I used this rub here: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe and it worked out really well! I got it on at around 6am and took it off at 7pm for a 30 min rest within a towel/cooler ( this was basically so we could finish the sides ) I had to split a bunch up into zip lock bags and freeze it since it was so much but that was always going to be the case. One issue I had was that taking it off the smoker it basically almost fell apart, which from a tenderness standpoint was a good thing however is there a way to avoid that in the future? It didn't make a mess but was just a pain in the rear end.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

See my post right above yours about how I ran into the same issue. :v:

Use twine and wrap it around. Works great and you can cut it off pretty easily afterwards. This is what I bought.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NU6HOI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Twlight posted:

One issue I had was that taking it off the smoker it basically almost fell apart, which from a tenderness standpoint was a good thing however is there a way to avoid that in the future? It didn't make a mess but was just a pain in the rear end.

How were you attempting to move the meat from the smoker? Tongs? Towel? Gloves?

As much as I don't like Steven Raichlen and silly gimmicky products, I love these gloves for moving meat around on the grill/smoker. They're pretty heat resistant but not meant for moving hot grill grates as they are made of a rubber, not high temp silicone.

https://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-Best-Barbecue-Insulated/dp/B0007ZGURK/

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

See my post right above yours about how I ran into the same issue. :v:

Use twine and wrap it around. Works great and you can cut it off pretty easily afterwards. This is what I bought.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NU6HOI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ah this is pro. I'll do this next time as usually when i'll do lamb or something in the oven i'll tie it off.

I use these usually to get under something and pull it off:

https://smile.amazon.com/Original-B...en%2C163&sr=1-3

Great for shredding of course as well!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I love my generic silicone bbq gloves.

Also for pork I usually just take the whole tack out and put on a Cookie sheet. Trying to lift a.l fully cooked butt is trouble.

↓↓ I'd argue I was on a keyboard not phone posting but what's the point. I always use gloves for BBWs

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 15, 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

I love my generic silicone bbw gloves.

Your autocorrect is betraying you

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
No kinkshaming itt

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
My vertical smoker isn’t wide enough to fit a rack of ribs without cutting it in half.

Was thinking about hanging a rack and seeing how those come out. My only concern is that at some point won’t the ribs get so tender that they can’t support their own weight and then fall?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

is there something wrong with cutting the ribs? I've always cut them in 1/2 for my MES can get 3-4 racks in that way

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

tater_salad posted:

is there something wrong with cutting the ribs? I've always cut them in 1/2 for my MES can get 3-4 racks in that way

No. I can barely spread a full rack across my Akorn (and that's a tight fit). But for the MES, halfies is they way go in.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I use a grill tray when I smoke a shoulder, like one of those enameled trays with a bunch of holes in it you might use to grill asparagus.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Wasn’t sure if I was missing out on something by keeping them whole.

This was my first smoke of the year and they came out okay. Definitely could have gone for another hour at least, but the rain started a little earlier than I planned and I had to pack up.

6 hours at about 230 degrees. Used some applewood and Kingsford.

Overall, tasty.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

My vertical smoker isn’t wide enough to fit a rack of ribs without cutting it in half.

Was thinking about hanging a rack and seeing how those come out. My only concern is that at some point won’t the ribs get so tender that they can’t support their own weight and then fall?

IMO that would be a sign that the ribs were overdone!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

atothesquiz posted:

How were you attempting to move the meat from the smoker? Tongs? Towel? Gloves?

As much as I don't like Steven Raichlen and silly gimmicky products, I love these gloves for moving meat around on the grill/smoker. They're pretty heat resistant but not meant for moving hot grill grates as they are made of a rubber, not high temp silicone.

https://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-Best-Barbecue-Insulated/dp/B0007ZGURK/

These are the ones I went with and have had no complaints:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OM9526M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Subjunctive posted:

IMO that would be a sign that the ribs were overdone!

"Overdone" is subjective.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 16, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hasselblad posted:

"Overdone" is subjective.

Yes, that’s why I said it was my opinion. :shrug:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I guess ultimately I don’t have a problem cutting the racks in half. Personally I like ribs where their own weight may be too much to support them on a hook. I’ll just err on the side of caution.

I could also try rolling them up too.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I could also try rolling them up too.
I would not do this. You need air circulation on the surface of the meat.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I'll take a picture of my setup for ribs, but i use a weber rib rack, put the ribs in the outermost slots and curve them into a circle with the ends touching. it works out great, but probably not in an MES where you don't have access from the top.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

For lifting a butt off the grill I've had success using Turkey forks. They're wide enough to support the meat without it falling totally apart.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Thinking about trying to smoke a tri tip this weekend, anyone try this before? I know the traditional Santa Maria style is hot and fast but I feel like it could be good low and slow as well. Might go the smauxed route the first time just in case. Gonna try to smoke some wings too if anyone has a good rub/recipe for those.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Just make sure you trust your thermometer.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd love a good smoked wings method. I've done it 2x and they just end up dry.. they're okay but not worth it to me..

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
How long are you smoking them for?

My usual method is to put some rub on them the night before and let them sit in the fridge. The next day I toss them in oil and smoke them for an hour or 2, flipping once or twice. Then I finish them on the grill or under the broiler to crisp up the skin.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Dr. Krieger posted:

Thinking about trying to smoke a tri tip this weekend, anyone try this before? I know the traditional Santa Maria style is hot and fast but I feel like it could be good low and slow as well. Might go the smauxed route the first time just in case. Gonna try to smoke some wings too if anyone has a good rub/recipe for those.

Smoking before grilling is my go-to method for tri tip now. I smoke at 200f until it gets up to 125f, which usually takes about 90 minutes. Then I blast the outside on the highest heat I can get my grill up to until it's crispy. Crazy amount of flavor while still getting a nearly sous vide level of even cook.

This is the last one I did.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

tater_salad posted:

I'd love a good smoked wings method. I've done it 2x and they just end up dry.. they're okay but not worth it to me..

So my super secret smoked wings method:

Marinate for 24h beforehand in 50/50 italian dressing and your hot sauce of choice (I like valentina).

Pull them out and put them on a rack an hour or two before you want to start so they can dry out.

I use a rub that's mostly brown sugar (1c), old bay(2-3Tbsp), salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder. You want to add enough old bay and spices that the brown sugar stops clumping together and forms a nice loose spice mix.

Put the wings on your smoker racks, and put enough of the rub on to cover the wings. About 90 minutes in, give them a flip and cover the other side with the rub. Cook time is usually 2.5-3h, and they come out amazing. I've gone through 10lbs before for six people, and they weren't even the main food item that day.

Alternatively, use a vortex cone on a weber kettle and blast furnace them for 40 minutes to get super crispy wings and give up on the smoker.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Doom Rooster posted:

Smoking before grilling is my go-to method for tri tip now. I smoke at 200f until it gets up to 125f, which usually takes about 90 minutes. Then I blast the outside on the highest heat I can get my grill up to until it's crispy. Crazy amount of flavor while still getting a nearly sous vide level of even cook.

This is what I've done in the past and it's a great method.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

atothesquiz posted:

How long are you smoking them for?

My usual method is to put some rub on them the night before and let them sit in the fridge. The next day I toss them in oil and smoke them for an hour or 2, flipping once or twice. Then I finish them on the grill or under the broiler to crisp up the skin.

What temps you cooking at?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
250, give or take 15. I take them off when they have the color I'm looking for, keeping in mind they'll get more on the grill or under the broiler.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

This is the last one I did.

This is beautiful and exactly what I had in mind, thanks! Also looks very similar in timing and temp to the wing suggestions so looks like I have a plan. I shall return next week with pics and hopefully a tale of good weather and happy friends.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xsf421 posted:

So my super secret smoked wings method:

Marinate for 24h beforehand in 50/50 italian dressing and your hot sauce of choice (I like valentina).

Pull them out and put them on a rack an hour or two before you want to start so they can dry out.

I use a rub that's mostly brown sugar (1c), old bay(2-3Tbsp), salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder. You want to add enough old bay and spices that the brown sugar stops clumping together and forms a nice loose spice mix.

Put the wings on your smoker racks, and put enough of the rub on to cover the wings. About 90 minutes in, give them a flip and cover the other side with the rub. Cook time is usually 2.5-3h, and they come out amazing. I've gone through 10lbs before for six people, and they weren't even the main food item that day.

Alternatively, use a vortex cone on a weber kettle and blast furnace them for 40 minutes to get super crispy wings and give up on the smoker.

I think the marinating is the key there. I just pulled out of bag tossed on rub and smoked

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Last time I smoked chicken wings, I rubbed them, smoked them for 20 minutes, sauced them, smoked them another 20 minutes, sauced them again, and then smoked them about another 90 seconds. Some of the sauce ended up burning during that second 20 minute smoke, so next time I’m gonna change the smoke times to 30 minutes and 10 minutes respectively.

I might also experiment with tossing them in a sauce bowl instead of saucing them by hand, so I can do it faster and the grill doesn’t stay open as long.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
i need advice. I have a meat thermometer, but i its real basic, and i have to open the door of my electric smoker to jab the meat.

im looking into a new meat thermometer, im thinking i need one with at least two probes. Am i going to be happy with something like this? or do i need to spend big and get something better?

https://www.amazon.com/MINGER-Digit...gateway&sr=8-18

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

CoolHandMat posted:

i need advice. I have a meat thermometer, but i its real basic, and i have to open the door of my electric smoker to jab the meat.

im looking into a new meat thermometer, im thinking i need one with at least two probes. Am i going to be happy with something like this? or do i need to spend big and get something better?

https://www.amazon.com/MINGER-Digit...gateway&sr=8-18
That one doesn't look bad, but the manufacturer isn't a brand I've heard of.

It's not as big a deal for an electric smoker, but a thermometer that has both high temp and low temp monitoring is really helpful. The ThermoPro TP-08S on Amazon has that for instance. With a charcoal smoker, I can never really relax with my crappy thermometer because I won't know if the temperature drops without checking every few minutes.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Just buy a thermoworks smoke - pay once cry once. Seriously, this thread is full of people who have had other thermometers crap out (myself included), and the smoke I have never really seen a complaint about. I love mine.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 19, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ROJO posted:

Just buy a thermoworks smoke - pay once cry once. Seriously, this thread is full of people who have had other thermometers crap out (myself included), and the smoke I have never really seen a complaint about. I love mine.

They have a four-input version now too, btw.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

That one doesn't look bad, but the manufacturer isn't a brand I've heard of.

It's not as big a deal for an electric smoker, but a thermometer that has both high temp and low temp monitoring is really helpful. The ThermoPro TP-08S on Amazon has that for instance. With a charcoal smoker, I can never really relax with my crappy thermometer because I won't know if the temperature drops without checking every few minutes.

I use the the TP-08S myself. Works really good.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

I. M. Gei posted:

They have a four-input version now too, btw.

What.

This is what I've been waiting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I had a tp20 and the probes both poo poo out and had no low temp monitoring. Bought a smoke second time around, but still got the probes warrantied and have it for a backup. :v: