Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Bundy posted:

Anyone got any dirt on Breitbart? They've already done a run calling last night's Climate Change a pack of lies.

e: Holy poo poo, I've not heard of Breitbart before and I'm five minutes into the wikipedia article on them :stonk:

Oh you sweet innocent child.

Edit: 300 is the name of a terrible cryptofascist movie directed by noted rear end in a top hat Zach Snyder.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Why is breitbart bad" is kind of on a similar level to "why is stormfront controversial"

I think most people already know and if they don't it's because they don't want to know.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

"Why is breitbart bad" is kind of on a similar level to "why is stormfront controversial"

At least the latter can be excused if the person is talking about r/stormfront

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TheRat posted:

What the heck is a Goyboy?

Play on Soyboy, Goy is a Jewish slur for non Jews.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

Play on Soyboy, Goy is a Jewish slur for non Jews.

Is it a slur? I though it was just the word for it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

:same: though I admit the first time I heard it was when I watched A Serious Man in the theater.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Shyrka posted:

Going out to restaurants you haven't visited before with your friends is cool and good. Even if it turns out the place isn't actually great, how else are you going to find out? Send one member of the group alone the day before to scout it out? What if their tastes are different from everyone else's?

The whole "Beep boop there is a 6% chance I will not enjoy this establishment therefore we must go to McDonalds" argument is what's loving sociopathic.

Genuinely, I really really hate trying new food. I hate almost every food I have ever tried in my life. I have basically the same phobic reactions that an arachnophobe has around spiders, except that I'm expected to eat the spider. Most of the time I just can't. Which is then awkward and embarrassing, because of course I look like a massive baby because I won't even try the food. But I can't, no matter how much I know it's ridiculous, I just can't do it. If I get as far as actually eating, I get immediate impulses to spit out what's in my mouth, now, and if I resist that impulse my body will use my gag reflex and potentially vomiting to stop me from consuming it.

On the extremely rare occasions where I find I can eat the food I've been served, this doesn't turn out to be a lovely new experience, most of the time I'm just relieved that I haven't massively embarrassed myself once again in front of other people, and I'll still feel sick from fear for the following few hours. I'll force myself to eat the absolute minimum I could possibly eat so I can pretend I'm full (when in reality of course, I've completely lost my appetite before the first bite).

Of course, any attempt to talk about this with people usually evokes mockery (as I expect I might get now), because of all things to have a phobia of, I'm scared of loving food, and what sort of functional adult is scared of trying new food? So it's something I can't reveal to most people, and instead forces me down the route of just saying I don't feel well if there's nothing on the menu I am confident I can eat without humiliating myself.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
How about we just let people eat what they want without forcing them to try things ?

Is that hard?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bundy posted:

Anyone got any dirt on Breitbart? They've already done a run calling last night's Climate Change a pack of lies.

e: Holy poo poo, I've not heard of Breitbart before and I'm five minutes into the wikipedia article on them :stonk:

For extra self torture, check out their comments sections on any article.
It could be about belly button fluff or kittens, but most of the comments will be shouting about Hillary/OAC/Liberals.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That sounds tremendously shite tbh. I'm terrified of stinging insects which makes summer a bit difficult but I'd definitely take that over being unable to eat new food.

E: Also being more than about 10 feet off the ground.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

OwlFancier posted:

I think most people already know and if they don't it's because they don't want to know.

Fancy not knowing something so basic. Tchh.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Reveilled posted:

Genuinely, I really really hate trying new food. I hate almost every food I have ever tried in my life. I have basically the same phobic reactions that an arachnophobe has around spiders, except that I'm expected to eat the spider. Most of the time I just can't. Which is then awkward and embarrassing, because of course I look like a massive baby because I won't even try the food. But I can't, no matter how much I know it's ridiculous, I just can't do it. If I get as far as actually eating, I get immediate impulses to spit out what's in my mouth, now, and if I resist that impulse my body will use my gag reflex and potentially vomiting to stop me from consuming it.

On the extremely rare occasions where I find I can eat the food I've been served, this doesn't turn out to be a lovely new experience, most of the time I'm just relieved that I haven't massively embarrassed myself once again in front of other people, and I'll still feel sick from fear for the following few hours. I'll force myself to eat the absolute minimum I could possibly eat so I can pretend I'm full (when in reality of course, I've completely lost my appetite before the first bite).

Of course, any attempt to talk about this with people usually evokes mockery (as I expect I might get now), because of all things to have a phobia of, I'm scared of loving food, and what sort of functional adult is scared of trying new food? So it's something I can't reveal to most people, and instead forces me down the route of just saying I don't feel well if there's nothing on the menu I am confident I can eat without humiliating myself.

I am not going to laugh at your phobia! I hope you can work around it, or if you wish to overcome it, that you can succeed. Otherwise, your business is your business :)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

It can be, much like various other terms for people. Like, a term that means "Not of our faith" is both descriptive and imminently suited for use as a derogatory term.

OwlFancier posted:

I have never heard the word before but I immediately understand its meaning.
People who eat goys??

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Celexi posted:

How about we just let people eat what they want without forcing them to try things ?

Is that hard?

I've never wanted to kill anyone as badly as the person who waved a bacon sandwich in my face when he learnt I didn't eat meat.

(I killed him)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I think it more properly should be nokri or gentile. Most goyim don't appreciate being called that, so it has some of the makings of a slur even if "actually it just means nation/people" because "actually it just means" means gently caress all for any other slur.

But considering power dynamics it's probably a slur on par with Hokny anywhere outside the Levant.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Cornish have a version of goy for 'outsiders'. Emmit... though it is derogatory.

It's funny, and almost exclusively used by racist Londoners who have bought massive estates in Cornwall and live on them 2 weeks a year.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

If you eat goys you'll end up with low teskoshterone and become a trans jew or something idk I thought I had something here, guess not

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

If you eat goys you'll end up with low teskoshterone and become a trans jew or something idk I thought I had something here, guess not

Where have you been?!?!!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ratjaculation posted:

Where have you been?!?!!

?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_gf8pb2hQ0

????????

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
This reminds me. I work for one of the heath trusts here in Northern Ireland and there is a team in the organisation that is dedicated to trying to reduce instances of old people having falls. To be fair, I wouldn't have guessed that dealing with the consequences of old people having falls costs so much in terms of hospital bed occupancy and that but there you go. Anyway, these people launched a campaign across the organisation to tackle this problem. They made desktop publishing style ads and there were big posters put up in all the hospital premises and everyone who uses a computer was treated to a screensaver of it. They had decided to call elderly inpatients deemed to be at risk of falls "falling stars" and had them wearing loving yellow star badges and had big yellow stars put up above their beds :cripes:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ms Adequate posted:

"I'm not Cohened! I'm not Cohened!" I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into a matzoh ball.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

To be fair, I wouldn't have guessed that dealing with the consequences of old people having falls costs so much in terms of hospital bed occupancy and that but there you go.
You're over 33 times more likely to die in your bathroom than from a terrorist attack, so it makes sense.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Reveilled posted:

Phobias usually don't "make sense", that's why it's a phobia and not a rational reaction to a situation, it's nothing to feel embarrassed about! I feel like everyone has something, yours is just more unusual (but food-related issues don't feel that uncommon, like when people hate things mixing on a plate). If you can't get help to overcome it though, I hope you can at least get to a place where you don't feel bad about telling people about it - I think most people would be cool with accommodating you if you had an allergy, why should this be any different, y'know? If they don't then they're basically pricks

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

DesperateDan posted:

I'm sad you never had a good roast dinner but you need to remedy that rather than talking poo poo about roast dinners generally
lol I've had enough roast dinners now to know that they should be written off. My favourite thing about them though is that the absolute worst kind of roast dinner is reserved for Christmas day.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gorn Myson posted:

lol I've had enough roast dinners now to know that they should be written off. My favourite thing about them though is that the absolute worst kind of roast dinner is reserved for Christmas day.

Nah they've just always been bad for you

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Reveilled posted:

Genuinely, I really really hate trying new food.

I understand. Had a friend with the same thing. For example, he once sieved a packet of pasta/dried sauce so he just got the dried pasta.
He would also walk 2 miles to a McDonalds for a Big Mac with tomato sauce, nothing else on it. With dozens of fast food places around us.
He eventually got around to trying new stuff, but on his own terms, so don't let anyone force you to eat anything you don't want to.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Reveilled posted:

This sounds horrific and I'm not going to mock you for something that is obviously having a massive negative impact on your life, but it's also not what the original situation was about, at least as I interpreted it. It was more the type of people who automatically refuse to try anything new because it's new, not because there's a phobia. Anecdote =/= data, but there does seem to be a correlation between people who won't eat rice/hummus/carbonara because it's 'foreign muck' and those who think foreign people are also 'foreign muck'.

Funny food story: someone I know spent years having a hissy fit if a red pepper went anywhere near his food. One day he commented that he didn't know how we could eat red peppers raw with dip, because didn't that burn our mouths? Turns out he had never eaten red pepper, but had assumed it was just a bigger Scotch Bonnet chili pepper.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 19, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gorn Myson posted:

the absolute worst kind of roast dinner is reserved for Christmas day.
What's wrong with goose with the tatties roast in the goose fat and with sprouts and carrots and sausages?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bundy posted:

I love this post :allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gorn Myson posted:

Have you ever had, like, a good one?

I knew a turkish guy at uni who felt that way but that's because literally everything he ate had piles of spice in it so yeah I get they'd seem bland in that case but you can absolutely do all aspects of a roast in such a way that they taste good.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Gorn Myson posted:

I want to see some Europeans do some "spins" on lovely British food, like making roast dinners actually palatable, and then witness the onslaught of the Brits who insist that the absolute dogshit they call a national cuisine is actually really good and you can't change anything about the ingredients because they're too precious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et6HWai1V_c

Surprised no one posted this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Our house does real good roasts. Two tips - season the gently caress out of whatever needs seasoning, and use semolina to get your roast potatoes nice and crispy.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
What cheese is better than a good eye-wateringly strong cheddar though :3:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gorn Myson posted:

It's fat, salt and starchy carbs, how can you not enjoy roasts?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Our house does real good roasts. Two tips - season the gently caress out of whatever needs seasoning, and use semolina to get your roast potatoes nice and crispy.

My suggestion was if you're doing meat with it you want it to be quite fatty because otherwise it dries out. I think a lot of people go for lean meat and it comes out like a biscuit.

For roast potatoes my grandma used to do them in parts, you take them out midway through and ruffle them with a fork. Also beef fat makes them taste best but you might be able to substitute it for vegetable oil and seasoning, maybe something like garlic would go well with them.

If you're wanting to save how much you use you can also re-strain your fat and reuse it. Just put it in a bowl in the fridge until you want it next.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's fat, salt and starchy carbs
The three components of any nutritious soap.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

crispix posted:

This reminds me. I work for one of the heath trusts here in Northern Ireland and there is a team in the organisation that is dedicated to trying to reduce instances of old people having falls. To be fair, I wouldn't have guessed that dealing with the consequences of old people having falls costs so much in terms of hospital bed occupancy and that but there you go. Anyway, these people launched a campaign across the organisation to tackle this problem. They made desktop publishing style ads and there were big posters put up in all the hospital premises and everyone who uses a computer was treated to a screensaver of it. They had decided to call elderly inpatients deemed to be at risk of falls "falling stars" and had them wearing loving yellow star badges and had big yellow stars put up above their beds :cripes:

Tell me there's a cool ending to this that went a little something like :chanpop: :chanpop: :chanpop: :trumppop: :chanpop:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ms Adequate posted:

I am not going to laugh at your phobia! I hope you can work around it, or if you wish to overcome it, that you can succeed. Otherwise, your business is your business :)

baka kaba posted:

Phobias usually don't "make sense", that's why it's a phobia and not a rational reaction to a situation, it's nothing to feel embarrassed about! I feel like everyone has something, yours is just more unusual (but food-related issues don't feel that uncommon, like when people hate things mixing on a plate). If you can't get help to overcome it though, I hope you can at least get to a place where you don't feel bad about telling people about it - I think most people would be cool with accommodating you if you had an allergy, why should this be any different, y'know? If they don't then they're basically pricks

Thanks, both of you. Most people I know well are aware and very understanding, so it doesn't become an issue often, but sometimes I'm stuck with strangers or acquaintances who really genuinely believe I'd like things if I just tried them. I don't resent those people, they're speaking from their own experiences and don't have a reference to understand mine. But I can tell sometimes they assume I must be exaggerating or lying, and at times I feel anxious about what they might think of me even if they don't mock me to my face.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

baka kaba posted:

Tell me there's a cool ending to this that went a little something like :chanpop: :chanpop: :chanpop: :trumppop: :chanpop:

No. It was launched on the first of April so we thought it was a horrifically bad taste April fools joke but it wasn't. The screen saver was taken off after just a few days presumably because people had complained but the posters were up until last week. Like half a dozen people were responsible for this and between them apparently not one could connect putting yellow stars on people with anything bad :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

My suggestion was if you're doing meat with it you want it to be quite fatty because otherwise it dries out. I think a lot of people go for lean meat and it comes out like a biscuit.

For roast potatoes my grandma used to do them in parts, you take them out midway through and ruffle them with a fork. Also beef fat makes them taste best but you might be able to substitute it for vegetable oil and seasoning, maybe something like garlic would go well with them.

If you're wanting to save how much you use you can also re-strain your fat and reuse it. Just put it in a bowl in the fridge until you want it next.

you don't roast lean meat for hours and hours unless you're an idiot