Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whomever the musical director of this series is (I know I can look it up) they deserve an award for picking exceptionally on point songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So... people on Twitter and Tumblr are mad because they can't ship Eliot and Q anymore?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

So... people on Twitter and Tumblr are mad because they can't ship Eliot and Q anymore?

More than a few would be.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

My problem with that complaint is that the promise of a queer relationship was never suggested. A Life in a Day was a self-contained story where they hooked up and Q married a woman. And then this season, blowing off Q was Elliot’s largest regret, but Q was shown to move on and fall back in love with Alice.

To think that his death is a betrayal of their relationship, you’d also have to rewrite his reconciliation with Alice and now it’s not a “bury your gays” complaint, it’s a “I wanted my ship” complaint.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Trevor Hale posted:

My problem with that complaint is that the promise of a queer relationship was never suggested. A Life in a Day was a self-contained story where they hooked up and Q married a woman. And then this season, blowing off Q was Elliot’s largest regret, but Q was shown to move on and fall back in love with Alice.

To think that his death is a betrayal of their relationship, you’d also have to rewrite his reconciliation with Alice and now it’s not a “bury your gays” complaint, it’s a “I wanted my ship” complaint.

I think you're right about that. Elliot's regret was specifically about ruining his one chance at a relationship with Q, which was underlined by the fact that Q had moved on. To me it seemed like the whole point of his regret was that the relationship was no longer on the cards so it didn't seem surprising to me that this turned out to be true.

I mean it was more dramatically true than I expected, but seeing Q move on from it prior to his death wasn't a surprise.

The possibility was certainly there though, so some disappointment is reasonable.

Some of the interviews about the end of this season have said that the actor wanted to stop doing the show, so I wonder if the writers did have plans for their future relationship that were changed to accommodate him leaving.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 19, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trevor Hale posted:

Now take that to r/brakebills and see how long it takes to get to -50 points.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Trevor Hale posted:

Yeahhh. I've also seen complaints about queer erasure, but I think that's part of that whole dumb deal where bisexual characters have to basically be gay forever or they don't "count" as queer anymore.

I reckon that a lot of people are pissed because they wanted hot (white) dudes macking on each other and didn't get that. Sucks, sure, and things could be better, but the outrage doesn't have the moral high ground. I mean, where was it when both the show's trans women were killed off? Or when Margot's pirate bootycall was butchered? This isn't a good faith platform, and I dislike that frustrated, overly invested shippers are poisoning a good argument while looking for someone to blame.

Like, I'm not saying that queer relationships on television couldn't be happier, they definitely could, and they could definitely be more intersectional and not nearly always be about white people -- but it's always the hot young people (The 100, Wynonna Earp etc.) that attract this kind of drama and I think it's pretty obvious why.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 19, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I honestly thought that Quentin was really bland and boring, so I'm not too sad to see him go.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

That actually why it affected me so much. As a bland and boring person, having an afterlife guardian go “people will still miss you” was really nice.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
loving straight people

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Trevor Hale posted:

That actually why it affected me so much. As a bland and boring person, having an afterlife guardian go “people will still miss you” was really nice.

Same.

They really turned Q around this season, I'll definitely miss the character.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Taking a break from queerchat, I watched the final 2 episodes last night and wanted to share a seriouspost.

This, along with Game of Thrones, is probably the only show I've watched since day 1 and stayed with. When I first tuned in, all I knew was that it was based on some books, presumably about magic, and had a sexy poster:

But the show quickly came to mean so much more. My name isn't Quentin, but it does start with a Q so all my friends call me that. I, like Quentin, was in the depths of clinical depression (we're talking Marianas Trench). I, like Quentin, had previously attempted suicide. And I, like the characters, was in grad school and indulged in generally self-destructive behavior. The show felt like a much more realistic depiction of life as a twenty-something than anything else on TV. So when Quentin died, I felt like a part of me died too. I started crying with Alice during the slow-motion sequence, I continued crying through Take On Me, and I continued crying past the end of the episode. I don't know what the show is going to be like without Quentin, but I'm also facing a ton of uncertainty in my own life. And if things become untenable, we can always just turn off.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 19, 2019

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really liked P40's line, "Oh yeah, they'll be fine when they get here."

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
To be fair the "Did I do something brave to save my friends? Or did I finally find a way to kill myself?" was a real twist the knife line.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

apatheticman posted:

To be fair the "Did I do something brave to save my friends? Or did I finally find a way to kill myself?" was a real twist the knife line.
It was, and I think that they brilliantly handled the issue with the next sequence. Q's mental health issues were always going to be difficult to deal with in this format, and I think that the show did a great job in presenting his struggles in an honest way.

Depression and suicidal ideation/actions are really difficult topics to handle respectfully, and I think the treatment here was about the best that could have been hoped for. If this was too upsetting and difficult for people, the alternative would be to just not address topics like this in pop culture, which to me sounds like a really bad idea for a variety of reasons.

And yeah, I totally cried at the end.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Open Source Idiom posted:

I reckon that a lot of people are pissed because they wanted hot (white) dudes macking on each other and didn't get that. Sucks, sure, and things could be better, but the outrage doesn't have the moral high ground. I mean, where was it when both the show's trans women were killed off? Or when Margot's pirate bootycall was butchered? This isn't a good faith platform, and I dislike that frustrated, overly invested shippers are poisoning a good argument while looking for someone to blame.

Like, I'm not saying that queer relationships on television couldn't be happier, they definitely could, and they could definitely be more intersectional and not nearly always be about white people -- but it's always the hot young people (The 100, Wynonna Earp etc.) that attract this kind of drama and I think it's pretty obvious why.
It's because they were both leads that people are really emotionally invested in, they wanted to see it play out center stage

If it was just about hot white men boners, they would've been equally upset when Eliot's hookup/interest turned out to be possessed by the Beast and Eliot had to kill him, but they weren't.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

It's because they were both leads that people are really emotionally invested in, they wanted to see it play out center stage

If it was just about hot white men boners, they would've been equally upset when Eliot's hookup/interest turned out to be possessed by the Beast and Eliot had to kill him, but they weren't.

Fair point, but I stand by the idea that people wouldn't give as much of a poo poo if they weren't so typical.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Trevor Hale posted:

I always read it as a polyamory type relationship, where there could have been more for Q/Eliot when they came back, but I think part of the beauty of that episode is that it was vague about their lives during that time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

vlad3217 posted:

I always read it as a polyamory type relationship, where there could have been more for Q/Eliot when they came back, but I think part of the beauty of that episode is that it was vague about their lives during that time.

Quentin literally has a romance with a woman that results in a son during that pocket universe existence. It was definitely polyamory.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah but they don’t show them as a couple until after she’s dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah but they don’t show them as a couple until after she’s dead.

Quentin references the entire time period as a proof of concept that they work together.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWhzx4_YNsM
Here's a behind the scenes video for the last episode and you get the actors talking through the process of the episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Here's a behind the scenes video for the last episode and you get the actors talking through the process of the episode.

They've done this for every episode and there's a ton of insight into the creation of the series.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

muscles like this! posted:

If you're wondering why no one mentions Jason Ralph leaving the show at all in this, it's because none of them knew he was at the time, and just found that out earlier this week.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Jesus Christ, I love Penny now. I could listen to that dude calmly explain anything to me.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Thanks for posting that, it's really nice to see how much they love doing the show

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

qbert posted:

If you're wondering why no one mentions Jason Ralph leaving the show at all in this, it's because none of them knew he was at the time, and just found that out earlier this week.

They all probably assumed he'd be magic'd back to life in season 5.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Honestly if it wasn't for the interviews explicitly stating they won't do this, I'd think the same. They have quite a track record for bringing back characters who've died.

I still wouldn't put it past them to have him appear again in some form or other, even if it's just implied.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Rhyno posted:

Quentin literally has a romance with a woman that results in a son during that pocket universe existence. It was definitely polyamory.

I know, I meant I saw it as polyamory the whole time not Q/Eliot hooked up one time before she showed up

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chalks posted:

Honestly if it wasn't for the interviews explicitly stating they won't do this, I'd think the same. They have quite a track record for bringing back characters who've died.

I still wouldn't put it past them to have him appear again in some form or other, even if it's just implied.

yeah I think the showrunner saying 'the end of him as a series regular' pretty much gives away the game. quentin's "dead" in terms of him being a main character in the next season, but all bets are off apart from that

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Rhyno posted:

They actually filmed a fake scene where he was magic'd back to life at the end of season 4 finale and it was in the script. Arjun Gupta tweeted that he just found out a couple days before the finale aired that he had filmed a fake final scene for S4.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's some Russo brothers levels of deception.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
ah man, i really want to see the fake scene then

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Rocksicles posted:

More than a few would be.

Death is but a door a door is but a portal a portal to s but a hole and a hole is a thing you can gently caress. The Internet Shippers will be juuuuuuuust fine.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

qbert posted:

They actually filmed a fake scene where he was magic'd back to life at the end of season 4 finale and it was in the script. Arjun Gupta tweeted that he just found out a couple days before the finale aired that he had filmed a fake final scene for S4.

Huh, you usually hear about this sort of thing in the context of “we don’t know if the show’s getting renewed”, so for them to put in the added time and expense to hedge bets on whether a c-list actor would be returning seems very unusual to me.

It’s not just reshoots/alternate endings, they’ve obviously been taking the dude leaving into consideration for quite a while (blessing of book author, grooming of Josh as the new everyman, etc) which makes me wonder who was actually responsible for the final decision since it apparently wasn’t fully made even on the day they shot the finale.

Sure Q is ostensibly the main character, but honestly by S4 he’s grown (or diminished?) into more of a “chief among equals” role that could be (and apparently was) written off the show.

Syfy ain’t exactly known for being generous with money so I really can’t imagine them being okay with greenlighting a ton of additional time/money/uncertainty just to be cool and flexible with an undecided actor.

Edit: I know fuckall about the television industry and for all I know this kind of thing is common; this is just the first time I’ve read about so many hoops being jumped through for a tv series actor who isn’t also a literal movie star or absolutely integral to the show itself.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 20, 2019

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

It could have been as simple as a few lines after the hug where Q walks back. Arjun was in the campfire scene but all it would’ve taken is ten seconds more of the doorway set to make him think that Q wasn’t really dead.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Death is but a door a door is but a portal a portal to s but a hole and a hole is a thing you can gently caress. The Internet Shippers will be juuuuuuuust fine.

Fine is a funny word to describe them. It's hard to go back to tv show reddit after the goonery.
I went to The 100 sub to talk about something because the thread was dead in here. LUNATICS, can't have a normal conversation about the show... it's like a bunch of raw nerves with reddit accounts.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’m sorry, but camp fires can’t melt steel crowns. Totally ruined the moment for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fillorian steel is known for being kind of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

It's Fillory, that crown is probably made of chocolate and pure LSD because Ember thought he might want a snack at some point.