Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jng2058 posted:

This highlights why the current system is so hosed up. "We can't greenlight something unless it has an existing audience, or else the risk of failure is too great." Which leads to "But the thing we've licensed isn't what we actually want to make, because its too far from what we think the mainstream likes." So we get "We'll just take the name and as little of the concept as we think we can get away with." And concludes with "The fans didn't like it? Didn't they say they always wanted a movie or show about this? Man, there's no pleasing some people!"

Which is how you get I, Robot as an action movie and Lucifer as a police procedural. :doh:

It's not even a GOOD procedural.

And then, to really twist the knife, Preacher, one of the wildest, seemingly most unadaptable, most offensive longform stories I've ever read, gets a reasonably faithful adaptation that people seem to like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

jng2058 posted:

This highlights why the current system is so hosed up. "We can't greenlight something unless it has an existing audience, or else the risk of failure is too great." Which leads to "But the thing we've licensed isn't what we actually want to make, because its too far from what we think the mainstream likes." So we get "We'll just take the name and as little of the concept as we think we can get away with." And concludes with "The fans didn't like it? Didn't they say they always wanted a movie or show about this? Man, there's no pleasing some people!"

Which is how you get I, Robot as an action movie and Lucifer as a police procedural. :doh:

Yeah but sometimes you get stuff like iZombie as a police procedural.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The Ancient Magus' Bride

Chise, the protagonist (who doesn't show up in these pages) has special magic blood or something which makes her very valuable to folks in the magic world.

Stella is friend of Chise's and a completely normal child with no magical powers who got caught up in a plot by Ashen Eyes, a millennia-old demon, to get Chise; Ashen Eyes had hypnotised Stella's brother Ethan to try and lure Chise out.

After things have been solved, Chise and Stella go for a walk together, but get separated by a magical mist, and Stella ends up in front of Ashen Eyes.

tl;dr version of the above: this is a 10-year-old girl with zero powers talking to a millennia-old eldritch abomination.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is going to be the only warning for this thread. Knock off the bullshit and stop shitposting. If you aren't posting a panel or commenting on a panel that includes you. This thread is for badass panels and that extends to Japanese comics as well. I don't care for that poo poo but you know what I do? I skip to the next post. If you can't do that or just don't want to and feel compelled to post about how much you don't like that post you can kindly gently caress off to another forum. Thank you.

X-O fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 16, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

X-O posted:

This thread is for badass panels and that extends to Japanese comics as well.

Thank you.

Henkyou no Roukishi - Bard Loen

What happens if you were a Knight who pledged his fidelity to the people, and came face to face with the person that caused their suffering?

What if you were The People's Knight and came face to face with the person that trampled all over your Kingdom's Royal Family to further his own agenda, and attempted to send them into ruin?

(As always Right to Left)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

That's a weird way of asking where the bathroom is.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

That's a weird way of asking where the bathroom is.

I have a new line for when I'm about to ruin someone's bathroom. Thank you.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

my insides only burn with wrath when i eat too much popeyes

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Mikl posted:

tl;dr version of the above: this is a 10-year-old girl with zero powers talking to a millennia-old eldritch abomination.

Talking poo poo to incredibly powerful beings is definitely badass so long as you don't get your face pushed in within the next couple pages.

Such as here, when Allison, a regular ol' barista from LA who always makes the worst possible choice, is speaking with one of the Gods of the Seven Part World, Incubus. (the Jareth and Sailor Moon outfits are because Incubus dropped in to have a chat inside Allison's mind rather than in the physical world)

That's right Allison, tell the literal demigod that you're gonna gently caress him up if he betrays you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I need to buy a van so I can have this airbrushed on the side.

War of Realms #2

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Slepnir is missing a few legs there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I’m gonna give Dauterman the benefit of the doubt that drawing eight visible legs from a front view is hard to do in any reasonable manner, especially given that six can at least be partially seen.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Endless Mike posted:

I’m gonna give Dauterman the benefit of the doubt that drawing eight visible legs from a front view is hard to do in any reasonable manner, especially given that six can at least be partially seen.

I can see four on one side in the bottom panel.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Talking poo poo to incredibly powerful beings is definitely badass so long as you don't get your face pushed in within the next couple pages.

Even if then. Spitting in the eye of monsters is rad regardless of what happens to you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cassa posted:

Even if then. Spitting in the eye of monsters is rad regardless of what happens to you.

(Infinity Gauntlet, natch.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If that's not in Endgame it's a -5/7

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I am disappointed that he's just ducking the fist and not, as I first thought, going for a groin punch while down there.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Bruceski posted:

I am disappointed that he's just ducking the fist and not, as I first thought, going for a groin punch while down there.

He's not Johnny Cage, but that shield did cost 300 dollars........rear end in a top hat.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bruceski posted:

What do you think is Cap reacting to in panel 5?
I guess he discovered that all of Thanos is Infinity powered.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

What do you think is Cap reacting to in panel 5?
I guess he discovered that all of Thanos is Infinity powered.

he's reacting to feeling the stone hands make their initial grip on his legs. he never got to throw that groin punch he has cocked back.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
"Never been any good at Stand-up Routines"

"Or at organizing a cosmic assault, I see."

This loving rear end in a top hat :allears:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Would've loved for comic book Thanos to have been in the Avengers movies instead of emo purple Hulk. :(

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Lucifer is one of the greatest creative runs I've ever read. Never loses steam, incredibly compelling the whole way through.

gently caress Fox in the rear end two times with a powerdrill for turning it into procedural drek.

I think you're under-appreciating that someone made a show that is almost literally God Cop from 30 Rock

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Brimstone ripoff is all it is.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
RIP Koike Kazuo

(read l-r)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Action Jacktion posted:

RIP Koike Kazuo

(read l-r)

even reading this before it still broke my brain seeing a manga page and trying to read the other way

But good panels nonetheless.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Samuringa posted:

even reading this before it still broke my brain seeing a manga page and trying to read the other way

Suddenly everyone's left-handed.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Nipponophile posted:

Suddenly everyone's left-handed.

They only want you to think that. If they go right handed it's over too quickly.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

habeasdorkus posted:

They only want you to think that. If they go right handed it's over too quickly.

You joke but I'd swear this is like half the character plot beats of Lone Wolf & Cub.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You joke but I'd swear this is like half the character plot beats of Lone Wolf & Cub.

The other half is "Hey wouldn't you rather have a fair fight?" "You're right, I am a man of honor" "Haha sucker" *murders opponent in incredibly unfair way*

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

More Kazuo Koike goodness

Mad Bull 34
(Koike is the writer, Noriyoshi Inoue is the artist)

Setup: Mad Bull 34 is like the cliche ultra violent 80s NYC cop trope taken the the extreme. Daizaboru is an honest cop who's madly in love with another officer, Perrine. He goes for a workout at a gym together, where Perrine is trying to gently dissuade him from going after her romantically, by showing him how physically unmatched they are (It's a machismo manga). However the gym gets raided by a gang who are going to rape and kidnap Perrine. Daizaboru has no way of winning this fight other than delaying them until his partner arrives.

So he decides to take a beating until that happens

(Read Right to Left)

https://i.imgur.com/yL7qlvO.mp4
(Right click -> unmute)

Mad Bull 34 can be read here
Warning: it contains a lot of problematic content if that's an issue for you.
As I said, it's the cliche ultra violent 80's NYC cop trope taken to the extreme.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

:stare: Christ the whirls on him grabbing his now completely twisted dick and balls made feel phantom pains.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

God I love the TWIST HIS DICK video but I always wish it had been recorded with the guy in front shutting up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Infinitum posted:

Warning: it contains a lot of problematic content if that's an issue for you.

I dragged up the first two chapters, and this might be the most offensive manga I've ever seen. Jesus christ.

edit: to clarify me and Infinitum's posts, it's incredibly, incredibly racist, on top of a whole rainbow of forms of misogyny, some of them ones I'd never even thought of before.

Those criminals being darker skinned in that set of images isn't coincidental, it's routine for the comic- most criminals are racially coded stereotypes, even the white ones.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 21, 2019

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've been reading it through and it does get better in later chapters, where it falls into fairly standard 80s violent manga tropes, but yeah those first few chapters really take things to the extreme and not in a good way.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Criminal: Coward

The Setup:
Leo's a second-generation thief struggling with crippling anxiety and guilt. When Leo was a kid, his father killed a gangster and died in jail. Ever since, Leo cuts and runs whenever violence is brewing. He's got no stomach for it.

Leo and his team stole what they thought were diamonds, but was actually millions in uncut heroin. Now the last survivor of his gang has been killed by a dirty cop hunting for the drugs.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Spy X Family.

Our spy-assassin family has to infiltrate an impossibly elite prep school.

Even before they get to the interview, the faculty are rejecting applicants as boorish or unrefined. The school has set up a series of gauntlets to test the innate elegance of each potential family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Squidster posted:

Spy X Family.

The cow is apparently a fan of Gene Simmons/KISS?