Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Professor Funk posted:

Have we had Sean Bunting chat here yet? I can't figure out if draft pundits are watching the same player. Draft Network has him as their 20th ranked CB prospect with a late round grade, while Brugler has him as his 4th ranked CB prospect with a 1st-2nd round grade.

Lonnie Johnson Jr is another CB making a enormous jump, probably due to his size and 40 time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I might as well explain why I like him and hope for the best. EDIT: And he's at Arrowhead visiting the Chiefs today so they're already on him.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/4/16/18310910/athletic-testing-and-cornerback-success-in-the-nfl

quote:

So what does this mean for the 2019 draft class? We don’t yet know who will be drafted from the group that participated in the NFL Scouting Combine this year to identify all of the players from this group of data, but looking at the combine numbers shows seven players that are identified as Tier 1 athletic testers in this draft class. Only 2017’s draft class contained more players that hit the mark with eight.

Two members of this year’s 25 days of Draftmas list are in that top tier: Sean Bunting and Corey Ballentine. Another couple players discussed often — Justin Layne and Rock Ya-Sin — are part of the second tier. Some of the hotter names for Chiefs fans reside in the third tier in Byron Murphy, Deandre Baker and Trayvon Mullen. Finally, tier four contains names like Saivion Smith and Hamp Cheevers.

quote:

4. SEAN BUNTING | Central Michigan 6003 | 195 lbs. | JR. Macomb, Mich. (Chippewa Valley) 6/19/1997 (age 21.86) #3

BACKGROUND: A no-star recruit out of high school, Sean Bunting was a three-sport letterman at Chippewa Valley, starring in baseball, basketball and football. He
played both ways as a wide receiver and cornerback, but was better known for his offensive output, posting 51 catches for 873 yards and school-record 10
touchdowns as a senior. Bunting earned Honorable Mention All-State honors as a senior captain and led Chippewa Valley to the 2014 district championship. He was
recruited by Division-II programs like Ferris State, Saginaw Valley State and Northwood, but wanted to play Division-I and Central Michigan came through with an
offer a month before signing day. However, when Dan Enos resigned his post as head coach, Bunting was left in limbo. On signing day, he was set to sign with
Saginaw Valley State, but held off and took one more run at Central Michigan. He visited new head coach John Bonamego, who offered him the opportunity to
grayshirt. Bunting spent the 2015 football season helping at his high school and officially enrolled in January 2016. He spent time practicing at safety and wide
receiver before moving to cornerback full-time during his freshman year. Bunting chose to skip his senior season and enter the 2019 NFL Draft.

YEAR (GP/GS) TKLS TFL SACK FF PD INT NOTES
2015: Grayshirted
2016: (12/1) 18 0.0 0.0 0 7 2
2017: (13/13) 49 0.5 0.0 2 10 5
2018: (12/11) 37 3.0 0.0 2 7 2 First Team All-MAC
Total: (37/25) 104 3.5 0.0 4 24 9
HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE 6003 195 31 3/4 09 5/8 76 3/4 4.42 2.59 1.51 41 1/2 10’06” - - 14 (no shuttle or 3-cone – choice)
PRO DAY - - - - - 4.20 6.89 - (stood on Combine runs, jumps, bench)

STRENGTHS: Agile-footed athlete with swivel hips and balanced start/stop quickness…long-speed to recover and carry receivers vertically…above-average
height/length for the position…matches up well vs. size on the outside…competes at the catch point and does receiver-like things in coverage…always ball
searching…anticipates route breaks and recognizes play indicators…gets physical early in the down and takes pride in playing chippy…serviceable run defender…his
coaches say he embraces leadership roles.

WEAKNESSES: Skinny limbs and lacks ideal body mass…marginal play strength and spends too much time hung up on blocks…impatient feet in press, allowing
receivers to immediately gain a step…wasn’t asked to backpedal in CMU’s scheme…flexible body type, but tends to play upright in off-coverage instead of using his
sink to drive…plays the man downfield, but can be late to find the ball…hands-on mentality will lead to flags.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Central Michigan, Bunting lined up at left cornerback for the Chippewas, playing both press-man and zone coverages. He recorded
multiple interceptions in each of his three seasons, adding several impact plays on special teams, including a blocked punt and 60-yard scoop-and-score after a
blocked field goal. Bunting has the athleticism to run better routes than the receiver and although his undisciplined mechanics lead to mistakes, he is usually in
position to recover. Despite his thin build, he competes with a cover-and-clobber mentality throughout the lifespan of the route and can eliminate the mismatch
advantage larger pass-catchers usually have vs. cornerbacks. Overall, Bunting needs to get stronger and become a more technically-sound player, but he plays loose
and suffocates the catch point, projecting as borderline starter as a rookie and full-time starter in year two.
GRADE: 1st-2nd Round (#29 overall)

I think this guy could be a good attitude, tougher Marcus Peters in the second round. My friend who went to Central Michigan said teams avoided running and throwing his direction most of last year. Numbers are encouraging on him and stats are misleading.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 17, 2019

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Professor Funk posted:

Have we had Sean Bunting chat here yet? I can't figure out if draft pundits are watching the same player. Draft Network has him as their 20th ranked CB prospect with a late round grade, while Brugler has him as his 4th ranked CB prospect with a 1st-2nd round grade.

The Draft Network updates their big board tied in to https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine fairly often, Bunting is #56 overall there

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I just did their mock to try and take Bunting with the Chiefs 2nd 2nd and ended up with this and I'll take it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

kiimo posted:

I just did their mock to try and take Bunting with the Chiefs 2nd 2nd and ended up with this and I'll take it.

I used that tool and got Rock Ya-Sin with the Niners third and my eyes nearly bugged out of my head

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

No way an all-name teamer like that falls to the third.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Their mock draft tool is awesome, but it seems like there are always insane/unrealistic falls in the ones I've run. I did one today that had AJ Brown and Deebo Samuel available for the Jets at 68. Though if it's consistent about one thing, it's that the other teams snap up every decent o-line prospect early.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Professor Funk posted:

Their mock draft tool is awesome, but it seems like there are always insane/unrealistic falls in the ones I've run. I did one today that had AJ Brown and Deebo Samuel available for the Jets at 68. Though if it's consistent about one thing, it's that the other teams snap up every decent o-line prospect early.

I just did a couple and in one Daniel Jones went in the top 15 and the next he was available at like 60.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I keep seeing Andre Dilard mocked to the Panthers. Can someone tell me stuff about him?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

wandler20 posted:

I just did a couple and in one Daniel Jones went in the top 15 and the next he was available at like 60.

60 is probably about the highest that Daniel Jones **should** go tbqh

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah I just had a draft where San Francisco chose DK Metcalf at 2. This site owns.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Professor Funk posted:

60 is probably about the highest that Daniel Jones **should** go tbqh

And it's going to be hilarious when someone takes him in the first.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
reminder Fanspeak has it's own draft tool and the premium version allows for trades

https://fanspeak.com/toolbox/

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

BlindSite posted:

I keep seeing Andre Dilard mocked to the Panthers. Can someone tell me stuff about him?

athletic LT, looks the part, was pretty decent in pass protection in college but has some pretty significant mechanical flaws. Probably needs at least a redshirt year to gain some functional strength and to work on his technique. Good ceiling, but could also end up being the next ereck flowers

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This morning on local radio Steve Smith straight up said the Panthers were drafting a QB.

All the local beat writers have said the same thing, and Gantt came out and said it would be in the 2nd round.

They've been all over will grier.

so yeah. there's that.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

This morning on local radio Steve Smith straight up said the Panthers were drafting a QB.

All the local beat writers have said the same thing, and Gantt came out and said it would be in the 2nd round.

They've been all over will grier.

so yeah. there's that.

Grier in the second? Woof.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

poo poo that would give them 2 years to at least try to groom Grier. Cam should have enough to last that long without chants for Grier.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I can’t believe Cam is broken already.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Grier is 100% acceptable in the 2nd

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Diva Cupcake posted:

He's going into his 9th year and he has by far taken then most contact at the position both legally and illegally. Not that surprising.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I'm surprised that Jonah dropped to me.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

He hasn't even started throwing yet this year.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

FizFashizzle posted:

He hasn't even started jerking yet this year.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Yeah, he's better than Jones, who will probably be drafted #6 overall.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

I'm surprised that Jonah dropped to me.

Taylor Rapp is a steal here, I don't care what his 40 time was

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Grier has a noodle tho

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Grier has a noodle tho

He's Derek Carr, essentially

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Grier has a noodle tho

So do Jimmy G and Brady. It doesn't matter for some offenses.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I know 0 about this man, please tell me more.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
So, I generally don't love giving bad draft takes credence, but man does Matt Miller have some incredible bullshit this year:

- Argues Dwayne Haskins has ideal technique and subpar arm strength. That is literally the opposite of Dwayne Haskins, considering he has a loving howitzer but frequently just doesn't do poo poo with his feet that would make things easier. Like, his arm motion grades out fine-ish. He's not going to gently caress up in the short game, but he'll get loopy and weird 12+ yards downfield at times. The biggest issue is that he's just never had to get good with his feet because of the way Day built that passing game to abuse the fact that Haskins can drop it on a dime anywhere within like 10 yards from any angle. Like, your project with Haskins is fixing his feet, and he's probably about a league average QB at that point, considering he gets coverages and protections but occasionally trusts his arm too much. Pro Comparison of Carson Palmer, who had a loving howitzer for an arm and mediocre technique as well, which doesn't actually match the scouting report he wrote for Haskins as swell

- Compares Daniel Jones to Ryan Tannehill. Jones, if it weren't for Haskins, is the worst mover in the draft and has a bad bad bad arm outside of about 5 yards. Tannehill is physically talented but had no loving ability to work within an offense at all. Jones is literally going to get drafted for football smarts, which is the one thing Tannehill has never had.

- Stidtham over Grier or even Finley is some galaxy brain poo poo. Dude literally could not run the most basic offense in the world consistently and openly hosed up his pre-snap reads in like half of the passing downs. Miller explains that away as not trusting his O-line, but that doesn't hold water when you consider he's only being asked to call one of about 4-5 protections in that offense, and Lindsay's changes to the system openly put those responsibilities on the QB instead of the C. If you look at his tape from his freshman year at Baylor, you can see similar issues where he just completely fails to make a call in time and misses a huge opportunity as a result. Some NFL QB coach is going to have a field day with him.

- Puts Tyree Jackson ahead of Grier despite Jackson being maybe the biggest project QB I've ever seen in a draft--like if you mashed Logan Thomas, Ryan Lindley, and Cardale in a blender.

Like, you can take his top 10 QB profiles in there, and over half of those write-ups have no loving basis in reality.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I know 0 about this man, please tell me more.
I think he could be pretty good if his mechanics weren't so lovely and he gets back on those PED's.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I actually like Daniel Jones a lot and I don't think he's that bad on deep balls.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doltos posted:

I actually like Daniel Jones a lot and I don't think he's that bad on deep balls.

Every time his name comes up it screams career backup to me. That might have upside in that he comes in for a few games and looks ok and you swindle another team into trading for him..

I can't really put into words why I have this reaction, but I do.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grittybeard posted:

Every time his name comes up it screams career backup to me. That might have upside in that he comes in for a few games and looks ok and you swindle another team into trading for him..

I can't really put into words why I have this reaction, but I do.

Because history has shown that obvious non-premier QBs that drop out of the top 10 turn into career backups.

Problem with that is it creates a false narrative that you should only take top 10 QBs. Same arguments when people claim you shouldn't take WRs or HBs in the top ten because you can find them later on in the draft, ignoring the fact that you can also find every other position late in the draft. It also assumes that every batch of players are consistent to the previous years. Average combine numbers have gone up across the board every year since they started recording them. Kids are coming out every year better and stronger due to the advances in nutrition, exercise, and training.

Daniel Jones throws a good ball. The best you can ask is for a player to look good fundamentally and hope that it transitions to the NFL. Otherwise you're hoping they all have that latent knack that separates the physical freaks from the people who are actually good at the game too.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I don't understand why Dexter Lawrence isn't getting more buzz higher in the draft than he has. Haloti Ngata, BJ Raji, Dontari Poe, Star Lotulelei, Danny Shelton, and Vita Vea all went between #9 and #14. As prospects go, I think he's certainly better than the average on those guys.

Maybe it's due to a glut on the DL and he's a bit of a specialized talent, but for team like the Dolphins who are going to want to two gap a guy almost every down and distance I think there's a good chance he's high on their list.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Doltos posted:

You'd better like him because lol

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1119322733941272577

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

petition to launch myself to mars

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

corn on the cop posted:

petition to launch myself to mars

Start a QB jersey starting with Eli.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Doltos posted:

Because history has shown that obvious non-premier QBs that drop out of the top 10 turn into career backups.

I thought he was literally talking about the name "Daniel Jones" screaming career backup, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Daniel Jones is going at 6.