Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It is objectively hilarious that the Xcom guys took lessons from Mario Rabbids

Mario Rabbids is the best game on the switch, lots of games could learn from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Barudak posted:

Mario Rabbids is the best game on the switch, lots of games could learn from it

this guy isn't joking, it really is the best game on the system.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

this guy isn't joking, it really is the best game on the system.

better than Stardew valley?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Invisible inc and xcom are very different games and I really dont understand the frequent comparison outside of being turn based.

They are different, but in a lot of ways they are also similar, which is why a lot of people compare them. It's these similarities that lead people to question XCom 2's system designs, which are generally fine but could be a lot better. For instance their strategy layers bear obvious similarities; after a mission you may play around with your funds and equipment a bit, upgrade your team of elite badasses, and then you fly your HQ somewhere new to accomplish some new mission against your overwhelmingly superior enemy. Invisible Inc's strategy interface is basically flawless and leads to some questions about XCom 2's strategy layer:

• XCom is extremely wasteful with screen real estate, and therefore is also wasteful with the player's time. For example why are there so many rooms for different kinds of timed projects? There should be one screen where you queue up projects for science, engineering, special projects, etc. Let additional buildings unlock features of this menu, but have just 1 unified menu, and all of those buildings point to it.
  • Why does equipment selection need to involve navigating a series of menus and button prompts? Most of these menus are superfluous. It's like they hired a middling interface designer who's been in cryosleep since 1985. It'd be really great to have a more unified interface that streamlines loadout and upgrades; on the soldier screen you should be able to select equipment, weapon upgrades, sims, and abilities from a common, unified interface.
  • Oh did I forget to mention that there are actually 2 different ways to select abilities for soldiers, accessed from completely different rooms? Instead of this, the common upgrade interface should show 2 columns of standard abilities + 1 column of special abilities that are greyed out until you build the special room, and hovering over the grey out abilities flashes a little tooltip explaining that.
  • Why do special bullets take a utility slot? The soldier is presumably carrying the same amount of ammo, it's just a different kind of bullet. Let every soldier choose a different kind of ammo without consuming a utility slot; then players will be more likely to bring some of the very cool gadgets that the game lets you build. That would be more fun and would make more sense!
  • Why are there so many long animation flourishes? The spectacle loses all of its appeal after 2-3 experiences, let me turn that poo poo off and have a faster experience. People have had to mod out all sorts of time-wasting sequences in XCom with mods such as the "Don't Waste My Time" mod, it's ridiculous
  • The resistance missions are brilliant, and I really like them. Their design is similar to Invisible Inc's choice of giving you several opportunities with a vague idea of what the rewards are (e.g. money, weapons, research, recruitment, etc). Why can't similar opportunities exist as optional tactical missions with greater potential rewards, but also greater risk since you're infiltrating a research facility or liberating a compound or whatever?
  • Why is my flying space fortress spending so much time doing basically nothing? This design flows against the sense of urgency that the game's other systems are trying to build. I'm "scanning" at a location for days at a time to pick up resources while waiting for something exciting to happen. You're fighting a world-encompassing superior force that is spread thin; there should be multiple mission opportunities popping up and decaying all over the map, and opportunities where you just "scan" for a week in order to find some alloys in the woods basically shouldn't exist. The previous bullet would address this

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 19, 2019

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

They are different, but in a lot of ways they are also similar, which is why a lot of people compare them. It's these similarities that lead people to question XCom 2's system designs, which are generally fine but could be a lot better. For instance their strategy layers bear obvious similarities; after a mission you may play around with your funds and equipment a bit, upgrade your team of elite badasses, and then you fly your HQ somewhere new to accomplish some new mission against your overwhelmingly superior enemy. Invisible Inc's strategy interface is basically flawless and leads to some questions about XCom 2's strategy layer:

[*]XCom is extremely wasteful with screen real estate, and therefore is also wasteful with the player's time. For example why are there so many rooms for different kinds of timed projects? There should be one screen where you queue up projects for science, engineering, special projects, etc. Let additional buildings unlock features of this menu, but have just 1 unified menu, and all of those buildings point to it.
[*]Why does equipment selection need to involve navigating a series of menus and button prompts? Most of these menus are superfluous. It's like they hired a middling interface designer who's been in cryosleep since 1985. It'd be really great to have a more unified interface that streamlines loadout and upgrades; on the soldier screen you should be able to select equipment, weapon upgrades, sims, and abilities from a common, unified interface.

Because that's how we did it in '94! Get ready for X com 3 where we bring back the X-Com apocalypse interface, fuckers!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think it's because the interface is meant to play on the cross-section interface where you see individual rooms and people doing stuff in them, which was also a thing in XCOM 1, but between all the complications they added with the game and the expansions they let flavour really get in the way of actually getting things done conveniently once the novelty has worn off.

There's definitely tons of wasted screen real estate and lots of better ways you could make an improved interface without sacrificing flavour. But I get the feeling with a lot of games these days the interface is an afterthought, either the first thing thrown together for the sake of testing or one of the last things crapped out.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Flannelette posted:

Because that's how we did it in '94! Get ready for X com 3 where we bring back the X-Com apocalypse interface, fuckers!

To be quite honest, only apocalypse had anything interesting going on with the strategy layer and it was still flawed. Geoscape was the weakest part of the original x-com games and the newer XCOM games pantomiming it just didn't help.

I kinda feel like Ultimate General Civil War had the best campaign setup, i'd just want to go with some rando maps instead of a series of fixed battles. Also feel like that game shoulda been less stingy about letting you buy repeaters.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah I hate when games waste my time with animations. Animations with no input are basically a game design sin, like imagine you have a chess game on your computer where, every time you take a turn, a CGI hand comes in to pick up your piece and moves it slowly to its new position instead of doing it instantly. They add nothing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah I hate when games waste my time with animations. Animations with no input are basically a game design sin, like imagine you have a chess game on your computer where, every time you take a turn, a CGI hand comes in to pick up your piece and moves it slowly to its new position instead of doing it instantly. They add nothing.

I agree. 2D games should be fine with ascii graphics, and 3D games are fine with Minecraft tier graphics. anything more is a waste of CPU cycles that could be better used for a gameplay system

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Games should just be text imo

Maybe sound too... maybe

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sound distracts from the ultimately cerebral activity true gaming is. I am of course talking about Choose Your Own Adventure books.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I really like Far Cry 5 even with all the kidnappings people complained about and I think the idea that the cult is right and that the end of the world is coming and it's all my fault is actually pretty neat. I'm waiting to finish it before I try New Dawn but I'm not sure how much I'll like it, I hear they added enemy and weapon levels like they did with the most recent two Assassin's Creed games and it just doesn't really fit the flow of nice open world games like this.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

I really like Far Cry 5 even with all the kidnappings people complained about and I think the idea that the cult is right and that the end of the world is coming and it's all my fault is actually pretty neat. I'm waiting to finish it before I try New Dawn but I'm not sure how much I'll like it, I hear they added enemy and weapon levels like they did with the most recent two Assassin's Creed games and it just doesn't really fit the flow of nice open world games like this.

The gameplay is good but man that story is trash. The Clutch Nixon missions own.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

bradzilla posted:

The gameplay is good but man that story is trash. The Clutch Nixon missions own.

I kind of like the story I mean it's not doing anything new but it's serviceable v:shobon:v and oh man are the Clutch Nixon missions ever fun as hell I totally agree there

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Darksiders 2 was better than almost every Zelda game and maybe all of them depending on how much you like the 64 ones and BOTW.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Games with loot grinding mechanics are trash, no exceptions.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

It's called Battlechess and it owns

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Between the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood, Skyrim is a better crime game than GTA V.

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

i also love fetch quests

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tane posted:

i also love fetch quests

Is there a hilarious stop trying to make fetch happen dialogue s3m for any game?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

I agree. 2D games should be fine with ascii graphics, and 3D games are fine with Minecraft tier graphics. anything more is a waste of CPU cycles that could be better used for a gameplay system

You jest but animation is one of those things that is easy to overuse, like the xcom mod reducing the length of these is literally called Don't Waste My Time. It doesn't even remove the animations, it just removes a bunch of superfluous pauses that take place before and after them

But I would prefer if XCom had an option to not zoom into the soldier's face while watching them spray bullets at a snake monster in slowmo, an animation can still play but the action should be way snappier

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

QuarkJets posted:

You jest but animation is one of those things that is easy to overuse, like the xcom mod reducing the length of these is literally called Don't Waste My Time. It doesn't even remove the animations, it just removes a bunch of superfluous pauses that take place before and after them

But I would prefer if XCom had an option to not zoom into the soldier's face while watching them spray bullets at a snake monster in slowmo, an animation can still play but the action should be way snappier

Battletech is an even more egregious example of this. I love that game, but if you didn't mod out all the built in pauses and hesitations every time anything happened it could get excruciatingly slow to play for no good reason.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Okay I beat Far Cry 5 and I really liked it, ending and all v:shobon:v

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

Then pick up the sequel because it assumes you were ok with the ending and that youd like some supernatural powers

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Barudak posted:

Then pick up the sequel because it assumes you were ok with the ending and that youd like some supernatural powers

Yeah I got both in a pack for 25 bucks it's downloading now

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Sid Vicious posted:

Far cry 5 was so close to being really really good but, and I dont remember which goon it was that said this but it was perfect description "you cant so much as fart in hope county without raising regions wanted level"

Give me time to gently caress around on own schedule dont just be like "nah funs over you gotta fight the boss and pacify region now"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

don't play New Dawn, don't even touch it, I tried to play it the other day and it is seriously the worst game I've played in a long time, it plays and feels like a lovely 360 game. Farcry 5 was a letdown and a downgrade and New Dawn feels like its about 50% finished and doesn't even have the interesting tone or missions to support Far Cry's increasingly rote fps base capture gameplay.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Be cool if they made a good Farcry and added building destruction physics and cool weapons, and called it RedFaction Guerilla 2.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Flannelette posted:

Be cool if they made a good Farcry and added building destruction physics and cool weapons, and called it RedFaction Guerilla 2.

It would be pretty weird for Ubisoft to make a THQ sequel

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Flannelette posted:

it looks like bethesda is making a pretty good farcry game soon called Rage 2, not exactly what you're asking but it looks really fun, especially the double jumping.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Snow Cone Capone posted:

They made a Battle Chess 4000. The pawns were slug monsters, the rooks were robots, the knights were smug looking dudes with lightsabers. It was as rad as the original Battle Chess.

Dr.Smasher fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 20, 2019

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

But what if instead of fight each other they had awkward 3d sex? I think it was called Love Chess.

There's also the starwars battlechess but in the end they're all just chess and you're going to watch the animations once and then turn them off.

If it let you skip them that is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv9aI5RkoeQ
(you have to watch this every time you use this summon)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The "thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap " noise that a lot of modern shooters make when you are landing hits on other players is pretty much the best thing, and people that whine about it being unrealistic suck. Games that don't do it feel confusing and anemic now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sid Vicious posted:

New Dawn is great, assuming you liked the base game. I'd even say it's the best in the series since Blood Dragon or 3

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

precision posted:

New Dawn is great, assuming you liked the base game. I'd even say it's the best in the series since Blood Dragon or 3

I'm really enjoying it so far I'm not gonna lie

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The biggest problem with farcry 5 is it's supposed to be a game about riding elephants into battle with a mg42 but all it has are cars and samey modern assault rifles

Vakal
May 11, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

The "thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap " noise that a lot of modern shooters make when you are landing hits on other players is pretty much the best thing, and people that whine about it being unrealistic suck. Games that don't do it feel confusing and anemic now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khfgXR3xUYw

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I guess I have the unpopular opinion as I hate it because everyone else seems to like it. It seems like a lazy excuse for not having good hit feedback and/or a excuse for not having a way to sync your online hits with the effects.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Nooner posted:

Far cry 5 was so close to being really really good but, and I dont remember which goon it was that said this but it was perfect description "you cant so much as fart in hope county without raising regions wanted level"

Give me time to gently caress around on own schedule dont just be like "nah funs over you gotta fight the boss and pacify region now"

Someone else said it originally but far cry five feels like Ubisoft used a monkeys paw wish to make "the best far cry game"

Every aspect of gameplay is near perfect. the story, characters, lore and the way they interact with the game are a loving garbage fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
After much soul searching I have reached a terrible video game opinion: F-zero is, at most, an overrated series.