Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

teagone posted:

:agreed:

Super clean fight choreography and camera work that flawlessly dictates the tone. For anyone who hasn't seen the fight, watch it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQYyXBJJfTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8j2zqRkDIw

Watch the whole movie though. It owns so much.

Lol the part where the white guy looks down and takes his tie off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, there's a lot of great humor injected throughout the fight that keeps it super entertaining. Jackie Chan's reactions to getting hit/trying to recover in particular are so good. It's really well done visual/physical comedy in what is otherwise an epic final battle.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Jackie Chan owns and mor emovies should copy his style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ&t=262s

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Jackie Chan owns and mor emovies should copy his style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ&t=262s

Yeah, even without getting into what a freakish athlete and insane perfectionist he is, his scenes are always informed by where the characters are at that moment in the story. They fight like their characters, interact with their environment, and make understandable decisions. That's something that very few action choreographers understand: Action is story, and story is action.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, even without getting into what a freakish athlete and insane perfectionist he is, his scenes are always informed by where the characters are at that moment in the story. They fight like their characters, interact with their environment, and make understandable decisions. That's something that very few action choreographers understand: Action is story, and story is action.

There's a comparison to Chinese opera, which I think is very apt; everything means something and you don't have something sitting around unless you have a use for it. It also goes well with the idea of martial arts as a personal set of refined skills and techniques being also a means of personal expression. A bit like the better anime fight scenes; they're as much a clash of personalities as a physical one.

A lot of superhero movies suffer with that because the fight scenes are basically treated as filler and outsourced to the second unit, which predictably resorts to cliches and setpieces completely divorced from the rest of the context of the movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a comparison to Chinese opera, which I think is very apt; everything means something and you don't have something sitting around unless you have a use for it. It also goes well with the idea of martial arts as a personal set of refined skills and techniques being also a means of personal expression. A bit like the better anime fight scenes; they're as much a clash of personalities as a physical one.

A lot of superhero movies suffer with that because the fight scenes are basically treated as filler and outsourced to the second unit, which predictably resorts to cliches and setpieces completely divorced from the rest of the context of the movie.

I rewatched both John Wick movies the other night, and something else struck me: the fight scenes in most modern films are simply too polished. It's people doing motions that they've drilled so hard that it's not a fight. By contrast, John Wick moves like a guy who knows how to fight, but who's still a human making decisions. The imperfections help it feel more real.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d argue John Wick shouldn’t feel real. It’s all heightened, like a comic book or a cartoon.

If it felt real, it would be a little much.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I’d argue John Wick shouldn’t feel real. It’s all heightened, like a comic book or a cartoon.

If it felt real, it would be a little much.

Oh, there's unreal elements to it: The society of assassins, the gold coins, the complete lack of cops. But John Wick moves like Keanu Reeves: a dude who's in really good shape, but is still fifty something and subject to the laws of physics.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Physics killed his dog, now physics must die!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

teagone posted:

:agreed:

Super clean fight choreography and camera work that flawlessly dictates the tone. For anyone who hasn't seen the fight, watch it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQYyXBJJfTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8j2zqRkDIw

Watch the whole movie though. It owns so much.
And, of course, Jackie punctuating his dialogue with WHO AM I??!?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love that the Quebec French translation went for a pun while the France French translation went for boring literal translation.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

teagone posted:

$2 billion is a drop in the bucket. I think there's enough hype behind the movie to dethrone Avatar as the top worldwide grosser. Its running time might prevent that though. Maybe.

Already sold out for the first five days at my local theater where I live (Korea).

Has already broken the record for ticket presales for a movie here. Over 1.2 million and counting.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I do think its interesting that ultimately this movie is going to be far more important as a representation of the business of filmmaking than a film itself

the movie itself is almost secondary to the fact it acts as a capstone to probably one of the most ambitious business decisions a Hollywood studio ever made

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do think its interesting that ultimately this movie is going to be far more important as a representation of the business of filmmaking than a film itself

the movie itself is almost secondary to the fact it acts as a capstone to probably one of the most ambitious business decisions a Hollywood studio ever made

I would say the movie is tertiary at this point because it looks bad outright.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would say the movie is tertiary at this point because it looks bad outright.

so whats the second thing

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Referring to the leaked footage so be extra careful about clicking this: What’s interesting to me is that everything in that leaked footage is the most predictable poo poo outside of maybe Professor Hulk. Cap says The Phrase, the dead guys come back, there’s time travel, there’s a shot of two big crowds running towards each other and then stopping in the middle for fistfights. This long ago stopped being about surprises and storytelling and more about this kind of gratification. The movie isn’t just tertiary in terms of cultural impact, as more of a marketing achievement than a filmmaking one, it’s tertiary because everyone already knows what’s gonna happen in it and are showing up out of... obligation?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mel Mudkiper posted:

so whats the second thing

https://twitter.com/GenMillsCereal/status/1115060589641043968

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

Referring to the leaked footage so be extra careful about clicking this: What’s interesting to me is that everything in that leaked footage is the most predictable poo poo outside of maybe Professor Hulk. Cap says The Phrase, the dead guys come back, there’s time travel, there’s a shot of two big crowds running towards each other and then stopping in the middle for fistfights. This long ago stopped being about surprises and storytelling and more about this kind of gratification. The movie isn’t just tertiary in terms of cultural impact, as more of a marketing achievement than a filmmaking one, it’s tertiary because everyone already knows what’s gonna happen in it and are showing up out of... obligation?

Yeah, exactly. The movie barely even has to exist because the movie itself is unimportant compared to the fact there have been nine years of movies before it

I don't think there has ever been a film that has been guaranteed success wholly as a product like this one

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 19, 2019

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Lol "if we can't protect the Earth, you can be drat sure we'll avenge it." The Avengers are admitting they're operating purely on spite at this point. Thanos' motivations on the other hand are pure and he'll wipe the floor with these miserable failures a second time

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Avengers are a private-public monstrosity that specializes in retaliation strikes. Ghastly.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I thought it was ironic people got mad about the Avengers repping Northrop Grumman considering that is what the Avengers are

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, exactly. The movie barely even has to exist because the movie itself is unimportant compared to the fact there have been nine years of movies before it

I don't think there has ever been a film that has been guaranteed success wholly as a product like this one

If you know you're going to win you might as well schedule a three hour victory lap.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
What's weird is that, of the people I know who are planning to see it and are excited to do so, none of them has actually said that the movie is going to be good. It's loving weird. It's purely anecdotal, but still.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Snowman_McK posted:

What's weird is that, of the people I know who are planning to see it and are excited to do so, none of them has actually said that the movie is going to be good. It's loving weird. It's purely anecdotal, but still.

the funny thing is that if TLJ hadn't been so... polarizing, the last Star Wars movie (7 months from now) would probably be coasting on the same sort of cultural momentum. I suspect Lion King is kind of the same. The idea of them is so positive, and they're all payoffs to years of media consumption, that the actual film qualities don't matter as much. Disney's 2019 is just the world's largest money shot

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

the funny thing is that if TLJ hadn't been so... polarizing, the last Star Wars movie (7 months from now) would probably be coasting on the same sort of cultural momentum. I suspect Lion King is kind of the same. The idea of them is so positive, and they're all payoffs to years of media consumption, that the actual film qualities don't matter as much. Disney's 2019 is just the world's largest money shot

Was TLJ really that divisive outside of that very vocal minority?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Snowman_McK posted:

Was TLJ really that divisive outside of that very vocal minority?

There's a very vocal minority of chuds who hate it for chud reasons, but from what I know there was a genuinely large number of people who just plain thought it was a mediocre movie. Maybe not so much divisive as a forgettable sci-fi action flick and nothing more. And that's not what Star Wars is used to being.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Daddy Thanos posted:

Lol "if we can't protect the Earth, you can be drat sure we'll avenge it." The Avengers are admitting they're operating purely on spite at this point. Thanos' motivations on the other hand are pure and he'll wipe the floor with these miserable failures a second time

Stark said that way back in Avengers 1 to Loki. It's not new.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Ya'll are ultra-lame for linking post-90s Jackie Chan fight scenes as "good fight choreography in film".

loving Goons...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H-3NKj8yO8

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MoaM posted:

Ya'll are ultra-lame for linking post-90s Jackie Chan fight scenes as "good fight choreography in film".

loving Goons...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H-3NKj8yO8

Who Am I was released in 1998, Miracles in 89, you strange man.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Dunno wtf "Miracles" is, sorry, but "Who Am I" doesn't have top-tier martial-arts fighting scenes of any kind.
Enclosed spaces or no...

:shrug:

On-Topic: I watched the leaked scenes from this movie and I'm still going to see the film and probably enjoy it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MoaM posted:

Dunno wtf "Miracles" is, sorry, but "Who Am I" doesn't have top-tier martial-arts fighting scenes of any kind.
Enclosed spaces or no...

On-Topic: I watched the leaked scenes from this movie and I'm still going to see the film and probably enjoy it.

It owns when someone has way too high standards in the first half of their post and practically none in the second half.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MoaM posted:

Enclosed spaces or no...

:geno:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
?

Who Am I is a lame movie, that's all I wanted to say.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MoaM posted:

?

Shoulda resisted the urge big homie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MoaM posted:

?

...it's fine, though? Like, Jackie's stuff through the 90s was still great, he didn't go to poo poo until he started making outright kids movies around 2000ish.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Yeah, it's not TERRIBLE, but it's also not gripping fight choreography, imo.

I mean the trailer for Mr. Nice Guy uses Third Eye Blind...based on that, I don't even want to deep-dive into defending my opinion on how lame late 90s to now Jackie Chan stuff is...
I can read the room.

Even the Danny the Dog scene that was posted is very tame. Jackie was exporting a product to the West at that point and I'd argue it didn't work. The choreography in Winter Soldier is worlds apart from the CGI-fest that is Civil War.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 20, 2019

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MoaM posted:

Even the Danny the Dog scene that was posted is very tame. Jackie was exporting a product to the West at that point and I'd argue it didn't work.

Goon faceblindness strikes again

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah uh that's Jet Li, the other Chinese guy they tried to make a thing in America in the early 2000s

He's an odd comparison, because his Chinese stuff pales in comparison to Jackie's pre-Hollywood stuff, but his Hollywood stuff is largely way better than Jackie's (because he didn't start making kids movies).

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Cythereal posted:

There's a very vocal minority of chuds who hate it for chud reasons, but from what I know there was a genuinely large number of people who just plain thought it was a mediocre movie. Maybe not so much divisive as a forgettable sci-fi action flick and nothing more. And that's not what Star Wars is used to being.

TLJ got a lot of flack for a lot of varied reasons. You got your chuds angry at the women and minorities thing, you got your "not my Skywalker" folks that are angry that the NT shits all over Solo and the skywalkers, and you got people who think the movie is a confusing contradicting mess that either undermines or abandons its own ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

MoaM posted:

I mean the trailer for Mr. Nice Guy uses Third Eye Blind...based on that, I don't even want to deep-dive into defending my opinion on how lame late 90s to now Jackie Chan stuff is...
I can read the room.
First of all, as a kid that was by far the sickest trailer of all time and it sucked to find out the song wasn't actually in the movie.

Second, lol at the idea that anyone whose opinion mattered had any say over that trailer.