Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2021 Season

Our offseason was not terribly eventful, but we managed to keep the band together, graduated a couple of prospects, and have a couple of interesting acquisitions.

First, we had a reasonable trade offer from another team! This hardly ever happens! Anyway, we snagged Trent Thornton, who is a solid RHP, for middling prospect Osiris Johnson. Trent didn't end up making the bigs, but he's on the 40, and he'll be a good callup option when the inevitable pitching injuries set in.

Second, we found a potential gem in the Rule 5 draft: Myles Straw has a 70 name tool, can play all 3 OF positions competently, has blazing speed, and is an OBP machine. Pete thinks he could put up something like 290/400/350. Hello, new leadoff guy!

Daniel Cerda and Esteban "El Gran Dolor" Ochoa both looked MLB ready in spring training, so welcome to the bigs, guys.

We are predicted to top the NL East with 104 wins.

Pitching Staff

Lucas Sims (94)
Chris Archer (97)
Fernando Romero (he's looking outstanding) (98)
Pablo Lopez (91 lol, pussy)
Sixto Sanchez (99)

Dirty Jamie Callahan (CL) (97)
Riley Ferrell (100)
Sean Doolittle (96)
Jimmy Herget (95)
Zac Houston (95)
Tommy Eveld (95)
Ian Gibaut (98)

I put their high-end fastball velocity next to each pitcher. This has to be the hardest throwing staff in MLB history, right? This is also one of the best bullpens I've ever had in an OOTP team...most of these guys would be top 3 on any other MLB team, and our top 3 are all absolutely lights-out, maybe the three best RPs in the NL. Enjoy it while it lasts, this poo poo is going to get expensive in a hurry.

Lineup
Myles Straw, RF
Nick Gordon, 2B
Kikuji "Big Tuna" Hamamura, 1B
Esteban Ochoa, DH
Ryan McMahon, 3B
Willians Astudillo, C
Max Kepler, LF
Daniel Cerda, SS
Byron Buxton, CF

I think we've resigned Buxton to being a below average MLB hitter, but his speed and amazing defense still make him a plus player. This order could be great if Straw and Gordon both hit to their potential, and could be elite if Ochoa and Cerda prove to be decent. It could also be quite mediocre...if we have OF production like we did last year, and a bunch of cold starts. Look for the BIG TUNA to have a big year though...the shorter right porch is right up his alley, so to speak.

Our farm is still #1, but likely won't be after Cerda graduates. Spencer Jones is looking like about an average hitter and a potentially elite pitcher, but he's still in high A. Paullo Schwab is starting in rookie ball, and Carlos Perez is in low A. Carter Rustad made a big jump, up to #15 overall, and is looking like a potential quality MLB starter.

Perez is pretty exciting...he's looking like a potential ++ glove, and a solid power bat. He could be a...Salvador Perez? Or...Gary Carter...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I have a question.

Last time around, we built a fuckin juggernaut and had like four HOF players come out of our system, but we stopped the sim when the hard decisions about free agency of the core came up. Any chance of us continuing on and trying for a legit multi-decade dynasty?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The velo era rules

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

rickiep00h posted:

I have a question.

Last time around, we built a fuckin juggernaut and had like four HOF players come out of our system, but we stopped the sim when the hard decisions about free agency of the core came up. Any chance of us continuing on and trying for a legit multi-decade dynasty?

Sure! I'll go as long as there is interest.

2020 All Star Break

50-24, .676, 1st place, NL East.

This has been a remarkably smooth season...we've had no significant injuries, except for Sean Doolittle's elbow exploding the week before the ASG. Cube Catcher is having an MVP type year at a cool 379/434/630, while Nick Gordon and Kikuji Hamamura also had nice first halfs. Myles Straw looks like he might be a decent option in the OF: 290/389/334, with 31 SBs.

Our starting pitching has been a bit slower than last year, particularly Chris Archer and Lucas Sims. The bullpen has been lights out as expected, though they'll miss Doolittle in the second half. Jamie Callahan is finally having the season we've been waiting for for 2 years.

In the draft, we continued our interest in two way players, taking Luke Leto and Christian Moore with the 27th and 65th picks overall. Both look like middling pitchers, but both have plus power and excellent gloves and arms. Leto wants a fortune to sign, but we can afford it. This year.

Luke Leto IRL.

Of note: Blaze Jordan went first overall to the San Antonio Elephants. If you remember Blaze, in our last game he wound up with nearly every significant baseball hitting record. I have him bookmarked this time around.

League Website HERE. Upload should be finished shortly.

Mr Jordan, last time around:

bewbies fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 17, 2019

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Esteban, you are a beautiful hitter.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If Jordan ends up being half the hitter he was for the Dads he's going to be generational.

Hopefully our second half is as smooth as the first. :ohdear:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
NLDS, Miami Marlins vs LA Dodgers

Game 1
Game 1 log

Game 2
Game 2 log

Game 3
Game 3 log

Game 4
Game 4 log

Game 5
Game 5 log

what

a

series

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Whew, that would have been a fun series to watch. Hopefully Derek Jeter is still happy with the team.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Ah bummer. At least we made it to the postseason again

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Goddamn I hope we get a budget increase. And the FA class looks good.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well that was a heck of a year. Prepare for a rough offseason.

We were 2nd in the NL in runs and OPS, and first in SBs. Not a bad power/speed mix. Cube Catcher and Kikuji Hamamura both had MVP kind of seasons, with Cube winning a batting title, which I think makes him one of...two, maybe? Mauer or Posey? I dunno, some guy in the 1800s probably did it. Anyway, great season. Myles Straw turned out to be a great Rule 5 find, putting up a 386 OBP and 78 steals. Our star prospects, Daniel Cerda and Esteban Ochoa had middling years; Cerda really turned it up the second half and showed that power/speed combo we drafted along with a fine glove. Nick Gordon turned into an elite infield defender to go with a solidly average bat. Max Kepler was the only real disappointment for me. Defensively, we slipped a bit, going down to #3 overall.

We led the league in runs against, and were first in both starters ERA and bullpen ERA. We got really, really solid years from all 5 of our starters, all of whom stayed healthy and happy for the most part. Fernando Romero was the standout, striking out 210 and allowing only 16 dingers. Sixto Sanchez led the league in wins, IP, and ERA, and looks likely to cop his first Cy Young, unless Romero deservedly steals it. The bullpen was as good as we thought it could be, with Dirty Jamie Callahan finally putting up the dominant season we'd been waiting for.

Arbitration, Options, Extensions

This is a big arbitration year. I'll just post a screenshot. Lots of big money going out.

As you can see, we owe some folks some big time cash. The ones that stand out as being possibly overpriced are Lucas Sims and Ryan McMahon, although neither is super replaceable. I'm sure we want to offer arb to all of these guys, but do we want to trade any of them?

For options, we have a $7m option on Sean Doolittle. This is a tough one...he's coming off an arm implosion at age 35, but he's still probably an solid MLB reliever. Do we cut him loose, exercise the option and keep him, or exercise the option and try to trade him?

For extensions, the only guy we're losing is Chris Archer. He wants a fortune to extend. It sucks to lose him; he gave us two good years, but there's no way we're coming close to 7/178 for a 33 year old, especially considering the quality we have in the staff as it is.

Free Agency

Unless we make some major sales, we have nothing to play with in free agency. Here's our salary list.

And here's the free agents.

Unless we offload some salary, we're about $7m in the hole for salary next year.

Basically, we have to decide again if want to SELL BIG or RIDE THE WAVE. This will probably be the case for the next several seasons.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
SELL BIG

Its the Marlins way.

edit: gotta move Doolittle to free up some Salary, why is he getting 7m a year?

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 20, 2019

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

SELL BIG

firesell anyone making over 1 million lol

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

RIDE THE WAVE

One more year.

edit: Execute and trade Doolittle

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Let's Ride The Wave!

I mean this is the greatest era in Marlins history! An incredible steak of Two whole playoff appearances. We have to milk this Golden Age of Marlins Baseball for as long as possible.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Jeets chimes in:

He's referring to:

Kikuji Hamamura
Nick Gordon
Ryan McMahon
Lucas Sims
Willians Astudillo

Plus, Kepler has to go.

We call in Pete.

You're shittin' me, kid. Fine, whatever.

Here's what we can get for each of these guys. Unless I say otherwise, they're either on MiLC contracts or rookie contracts. Note: Jeets only said they had to go...not that we couldn't bring back big salaries in exchange. He might be mad, but that's his problem. We're still constrained by the budget though...we have no money to play with, so we have to at least break even on these trades.

Max Kepler

- Drew Mendoza: 24 year old 1B with a 60 power tool and a great eye. OBP of over 400 in AA last year. Decent glove. ML ready.

- Aramis Ademan: 23 year old 2B/SS. Plus glove, plus contact and eye, no power. OPSed 756 with the Cubs last year.

Kikuji "The Big Tuna" Hamamura

- Ozzie Albies: Star 2B. Entering his last year of arbitration, due 11m this year, ~15m next year, then FA. 6.3 WAR last year.

- Jonathan India. Very exciting 24 y/o 3B prospect who stunk it up (-2.6 WAR) last year. Reds giving up on him, but they shouldn't. Plus glove, .900 OPS potential.

- Francisco Lindor. 28 years old. Maybe best all around player in baseball. Coming of a 7 WAR season. 2 more years at 29m per, then opt out, then 4 more years at 29m.

- Matt Manning. Elite SP young, but only 3 pitches. 96 mph heater, 80 curve. Led AL in K's last year.

- Shohei Ohtani. Enough said. Due 13.9mil this year, probably around $18m next year in arbitration, then FA.

Nick Gordon

- Ozzie Albies, above.

- Yoan Moncada. Maybe not what we thought he could be, but good 5 tool 3B. 11.5m this year, 13.7m next year.

- Jonathan India, above

- Mike Siani. Another young guy the reds are giving up on too soon. 22 year old RF. 950 OPS potential, elite glove in RF, decent in CF.

- Matt Chapman. Elite 28 year old 3B. Due 14m this year, ~18m next year.

Lucas Sims

- Most of the above (Albies, India, Moncada, etc)

- Pavin Smith. 25 y/o 1B, elite glove, elite contact hitter, minimal power. Expect OBP of 400+ with 15 HRs.

-
Willians Astudillo

- India, Siani, Moncada

- Jake Rogers: solid 26 y/o catcher, decent bat, good defense.

- William Contreras. See Rogers, Jake, but is 23 years old.

- Jonathan Loaisiga. 27 y/o SP, great stuff, poor stamina. Solid with the Yankees last year, has all star potential.

Well, that's about it, kid. Do your thing.

VOTE

If you want a trade, explain the trade. Really, we can probably swing any of these guys for any of the guys listed, minus Keper, and minus Big Tuna. If you have a plan to backfill the position, explain in trade proposal(s). Remember too that any money saved can be used to buy out arb years for our young star players.

Let the mini firesale begin!

FYI: as far as backfilling with prospects goes, Spencer Jones will probably be ready for a ML look next year as a 1B/COF and RP, and might have a future as an MLB starter. He looks good in all positions. Carter Rustad might also be ready for a ML look depending on how his arm explosion surgery/recovery goes. None of the other prospects look ML ready next year.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 20, 2019

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Fucksticks.

Keep Hamamura unless given specific orders to dump him from Jeets or he turns into a pumpkin. He's too good.

Ademan for Kepler
Siani for Gordon

These two I think effectively cancel each other out.

Contreras for Astudillo. Gonna miss the Cube Bat, but that salary is just gonna balloon further.

I think you missed McMahon, and I'm not particularly attached to him, so get what we can there and call it good. (Especially if you can get India for him.)

Troll the Rule 5 as per usual.

Hopefully our minors guys can get some looks this year and maybe next year we can let Sims go. I'm pretty worried about his arm given he's been knocked out of 2/3 postseason games he's started.

:sigh:

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

trade all 5 for the youngest, cheapest guys you can get

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

rickiep00h posted:

I think you missed McMahon

sure as poo poo did.

Mostly the same guys, although the Reds offered up Nico Hoerner...he's a plus glove at 2B and has the potential for an above average bat. Is ML-ready.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I like McMahon for India and whatever else we can get as exchange of throw in prospects. The Reds seem like they suck at talent eval.

edit: no matter what keep Big Tuna he is a true marlin for life

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ademan for Kelper

MEGA DEAL WITH THE REDS: McMahon , Gordon, and Sims to the Reds for Siani, Hoerner, and India

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The BIG TRADE with the Reds went down as follows:

Nick Gordon and Lucas Sims for:

Mike Siani
Nico Hoerner
Jonathan India

plus

Mahki Backstrom. Huge power bat at the corners. You might remember us considering him in the draft a few years ago. Well, we have him now.

Evan Fitterer. 3 star SP prospect, 4 plus pitches, but not a great track record in minor league ball so far.

As it happens, we were unable to get out Ryan McMahon's name before the Reds GM hurriedly accepting. So, we held on to him, and swapped him instead for Raymundo Moreno from te Yankees. Raymundo is 60/65/60 hitter and can play all 3 OF positions competently, perhaps even well. He'll likely compete with Buxton for the starting CF spot in the spring.

The Cubs withdrew their offer on Max Kepler so instead we swapped him for Chris Murphy of the Phillies. He's a solid SP prospect with 3 plus pitches but only borderline Marlins velocity (93 mph). He's only 23, so he'll compete for a spot this spring and at the least be a 6/7 starter.

This cleared almost 45m in salary for us, but tanked our fan interest, and we're probably worse, man for man.

MARLINS BASEBALL

What do we want to do with our $45m? We could probably use another 4/5 SP, but otherwise, all holes are tentatively filled. Do we want to buy out a couple of young stars and see if Jeets will let us keep them long term?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 20, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A few other notes:

Sixto Sanchez won his Cy Young, and is firmly entrenched as one of the best SPs in the game.

The Cubs are desperate to rebuild or something. They just offered us Yu Darvish for DJ Peters. Which, normally I would laugh at, but two things here: first, we have a glut of good looking corner OFs, and second, they want to retain 100% of Darvish's salary. Darvis is still a solid if unspectacular ML starter, and he'd probably put up decent numbers in our ballpark. This is a no-brainer accept, right?

An interesting couple of Hall classes.

Schilling, Clemens, and Bonds went in last year.

Arod and David Ortiz this year.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 20, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
A 100% free player sounds pretty Jeets to me. Get Darvish.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Jeets cannot possibly be mad about a literally free player, hit that trade button.

E: Can we see what Sanchez wants for an extension? Probably more than we can afford but worth a shot.

Artix fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 20, 2019

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

bewbies posted:

This cleared almost 45m in salary for us, but tanked our fan interest, and we're probably worse, man for man.
Well boo on the latter parts.:(

100% do that trade, I don't know why the Cubs have temporarily lost their sanity but we may as well take advantage of it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2022 MLB Season

We're tipped to win 113 games. We made it through ST with no serious injuries.

Pitching
Sixto Sanchez
Spencer Jones (R)
Yu Darvish
Fernando Romero
Pablo Lopez

Jamie Callahan (CL)
Riley Ferrell
Ian Gibaut
Jimmy Herget
Zac Houston
Tommy Eveld
Dylan Lee
Jorge Alcala
Jose Quijada

With Archer and Sims gone, Sanchez is now the undisputed staff ace. He won the Cy Young last year, and Pete thinks he will still get better as his curve and sinker develop. He's still on a pitch count (105) even after winning a CY. Darvish had a solid spring and slotted fine into the #3 spot. The bullpen is still the league's best, with an assortment of fireballers striking out lots and lots of dudes.

Hitters
Nico Hoerner, 2B
Jonathan India, 3B
Daniel Cerda, SS
Kikuji Hamamura, 1B
Spencer Jones (R), RF
Esteban Ochoa, DH
Raymundo Moreno, LF
Willians Astudillo, C
Byron Buxton, CF

Of the three guys we brought over from the Reds, Hoerner and India both looked rock solid in the spring (Siani was sent to AAA). I thought for sure that Moreno would beat out Buxton in CF, and that Myles Straw (who put up 4+ WAR last year) would be in left, but, here we are, with Straw as the 4th OF.

A lot this year depends on what we get out of Hoerner/India/Cerda. They're all...unproven still, at the ML level, but they all have star potential.

A moment of your time, to discuss Spencer Jones, our potential two-way superstar.

We drafted him #35 overall three years ago. He was a top 10 talent, but slipped because of a very high bonus demand. He had a VERY rough first pro season, putting up an ERA north of 8 and an OPS+ of only 71. The next year wasn't much better, and he was looking like bust material.

Then, two things happened: his velocity went through the roof, and fly balls started leaving the yard. He jumped up to a top 5 prospect league wide, and put on a show as both a starter and an outfielder. He's 6'7", and a bit of a beanpole at 205 lbs. As a pitcher, he'll be one of only two SPs in baseball that regularly tops 100 mph...the other is a guy named Shohei Ohtani. His stuff is electric: an 80 fastball, a 70 curve, and a good changeup and circle change. So, that looks a lot like a Nolan Ryan arsenal. He walks too many guys, but Pete thinks he'll get that under control the next couple of years. As a hitter, he projects like a Darryl Strawberry type: big looping power swing, but still with decent contact. He'll strike out his share, but should develop a good eye as he matures. Pete has his tools at 65/80/65, which could easily translate to a 40 HR/400 OBP kind of player. He, unsurprisingly, has an absolute cannon arm in the outfield, and is a plus glove at 1B also.

He was the MVP of his high A league last year, OPSing 904 and throwing 96 excellent innings, striking out over a hitter an inning. He took another jump this spring, adding more velocity and getting his breaking stuff under control, and to everyone's surprise, beat out some solid incumbents for both a rotation spot and a regular outfield spot. He'll likely be an all star caliber pitcher even as young as he is thanks to the crazy fastball, but he's still raw as a hitter. A good glove and arm in the OF should make him a plus player, though.

This is the first two-way (potential) star I've had on an OOTP team, and that's exciting.

Also, he needs a nickname! He's a hard working, popular, smart player, a team leader, he's tall and thin, from Encitas, CA, throws super hard, hits the ball super hard, and wears #65.

PS: he's the #1 prospect heading into the season. He probably shouldn't be: Blaze Jordan is #2, and he slashed 314/451/667 as an 18 year old in rookie ball. He's in high A this year.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 21, 2019

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Spencer "Burger King" Jones

Because any way you like it, Jones delivers.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Spencer "Orlando" Jones. Because he's in Miami. This is a clever joke.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Spencer "Pizza Man" Jones, because he always delivers :downsrim:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

PS: he's the #1 prospect heading into the season. He probably shouldn't be: Blaze Jordan is #2, and he slashed 314/451/667 as an 18 year old in rookie ball. He's in high A this year.

Maybe I'm weird but I'd give guys closer to or in the majors a bump over guys who have only played in rookie ball

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2022 All Star Break

55-20, .733, 1st Place, NL East.

After a slow-ish start to the year, we head into the All Star Break riding a 14 game win streak.

Daniel Cerda is the story so far this year. He's been everything we'd hoped when we took him 4th overall. He could threaten a 40/40 season, while playing excellent D and OPS+ing 167. Of our new additions, Jonathan India is delivering the goods at 3B, while Nico Hoerner is struggling to replace Nick Gordon at 2B. Spencer Jones has shown up big time with the bat, OPSing 973 and getting on base at almost a .400 clip. Cube Catcher has been our biggest disappointment so far, hitting only .248.

Our pitchers have been slightly less dominant this year. Yu Darvish has been our best starter...for free, which is a pleasant surprise. Spencer Jones is striking out a lot of dudes and not walking too many. Our possible concern area is our two elite setup men: Riley Ferrell and Ian Gibaut have been...underwhelming, despite the huge K numbers.

Sean Doolittle was hurriedly dealt for nothing after losing several MPHs on his fastball and getting cooked in the minors.

We've mostly avoided serious injury, but Fernando Romero is out for the year with a torn back muscle. It happened after Super 2 day, so we decided to give 21 year old Carter Rustad a look in the bigs. So far: 14 IP, 12 Ks, 1 BB, no ERs. He could be a good one.

VOTE

We have some decisions to make. We have some money to play with...around $46m for this year, and $24m for the next. Craig Kimbrel and Felipe Vazquez are both on the block, and should come fairly cheap in terms of assets. Do we trust our young bullpen, or do we want to snag one or both?

Also, do we want to buy out or extend anyone? Byron Buxton is set for free agency: he's only asking 2/5.8m. The following guys are hitting arbitration next year, or are already in it:

Astudillo
Pablo Lopez
Jaime Callahan
Brett Sullivan
Esteban Ochoa
Isan Diaz
Riley Ferrell
Jimmy Herget

And let's not forget Daniel Cerda, Sixto Sanchez, and Spencer Jones.

Who, if any, of these guys should we seek a long term extension for? I'm thinking Cerda and Sanchez, for starters. Jeets has ASSURED us that any long term extensions we sign will be honored, but...we've seen what he's done in the past.

Finally, manager Don Mattingly's contract is up after this year. Keep him, or move on?

of note: attendance was down 30% compared to last year, after the BIG SELL OFF. MARLINBALL

bewbies fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 22, 2019

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I feel like we have to attempt to lock up Cerda and Sanchez for sure and at least inquiring on Jones.

Buxton could be a fair signing, but I think we could possibly replace him with someone with a better bat and similar fielding ability by this point for less. Big question here of course, because I don't know how his defense or speed look at this point. Ochoa is weird because he absolutely destroys baseballs but apparently that's it. Homers or back to the dugout. I guess we see how arb works out.

Short term I say we shore up the bullpen. I don't think they're going to keep us from the playoffs, but having better arms will help us get further in said playoffs.

Also someone give the ol' Tortuga a nudge or something. He has a rep to uphold.

edit: I can't imagine what some of those bullpen guys are gonna want in arb and relievers are such a weird market. Washing my hands of that decision process.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Buxton is young and cheap at 6 mil for 2 seasons. He would be good for depth if we can't find anyone better than him.

That being said, he's pretty underwhelming right now.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well we've gotten absolutely nowhere with either Cerda or Sanchez. I stopped offering Cerda contracts at 10/250 and Sanchez at 7/175. So, we'll see how that plays out I guess.

In amusing news, we've had a guy come out of nowhere to top 5 prospect status for no apparent reason. Mike Rutter was a dominant pitcher in high school, but with middling velocity and only 2 pitches, he slipped to us in the 6th round. He was mediocre in rookie ball, but over the summer, his velocity went through the roof: he's now 100mph+. He still only really has two pitches though, which is kind of tragic. Hopefully his changeup evolves some as he gets older. This helps to make up for Carlos Perez who is looking like a bust at catcher.

As for Buxton, we have a guy on the roster who can play competent CF (Raymundo Moreno) and Paullo Schwab is still an elite CF prospect who is maybe a year or two out. I'll offer Buxton a 1 year deal with a TO and see where that takes us.

Traded Erick Rivera, a middling COF prospect, for Craig Kimbrel. BULLPEN, HO

CK wants 4/47 to extend. I think I can get him to something like 2/22 if there's any interest in that kind of thing.

edit: 1/10, with 2 $10m team options. He's 34, but he's still an elite RP. Yay or nay?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 23, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This international window looks phenomenal, so I want to put this to a vote, also. Everyone here is 16, unless otherwise noted.

All of these guys will cost our entire cap, so we can only sign one. CHOOSE WISELY

Luis "Honker" Estrada. 6'1",5 tool SS. 60 contact, 70 power, 55 speed, 60 glove. Only knock is on his eye. You don't see that often.

Juan "Windy" Arvelo. 80 power tool 1B/3B. Pujols-like contact/power combo. Not much else.

Juan "Rainmaker" Ibarra. 80 Speed, 70 contact, 80 glove CF. Elite leadoff potential...400 OBP/80 SB/20HR kind of guy, with a killer glove. Is also 18 years old, so closer to the show than everyone else.

Jorge "Kuo-Rod" Romero. Elite C bat, 380 OBP/30 HR potential. Weak arm but great glove.

Juan Morales. 50 contact/80 power/80 eye CF, but projects more as a LF in the bigs. No speed, middling glove. Best OPS potential in this group though.

note: from a scouting perspective this is the best IW I've ever seen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Make it Rain

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Sydin posted:

Make it Rain

:yeah:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

There really is only one choice...

The Rainmaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I, too, cast a vote for bringing the RAIN. Also keep CK.