Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Plan Z posted:

This is becoming super common in podcasts lately for the people to just bullshit for like an hour and I'm of different of minds about it depending on which podcasts I listen to.

WeHateMovies is a good example of this. I used to really love their dissection of movies, but it has gotten formulaic to the point of tedium and I usually tune out when they actually bother to talk about the movie. I mostly only listen to their mailbag episodes at this point because those are just them bullshitting for an hour or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i cohost a podcast about baseball with one of my friends, and i don't want to sound all like "i'm not like THOSE podcasts" but that kind of bullshitty banter is something that we specifically avoid, even if we aren't as successful at avoiding it as we think we are.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Been listening to Talking Simpsons, and I might need a break. The two guys running it can be a little too Bay Area. They often miss that when a character is saying something culturally or socially ignorant, that it's meant to be a foil to mock their ignorance. The TS guys miss this a lot, saying that the show "Hates these people, or this good thing." There's also a lot of apologism when they have non-Americans or non-white people on too, with the guest usually responding along the lines of "No, I get the nuance," or "It's well-meant representation, even if it's slightly outdated so I don't mind." On a lighter note, I got a little chuckle out of one of them saying "People must like dive bars so they can just chug cheap $5 beer." I still like the podcast, but I just needed an outlet.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Some people have good chemistry and it's just interesting to listen to them talk to each other. Ken Jennings and John Roderick have that kind of a relationship on Omnibus and actually make it part of the show. They start with seemingly random banter and relate it directly to introducing the topic.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

YeahTubaMike posted:

(video unavailable, for some reason).
d'oh

fixed

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cubone posted:

I watched disenchantment, against the advisement of this thread, because I wanted to know what I was masturbating to
it was on the lower side of ok. whoever said it finds its footing at episode 8 but it's not really worth it was right. the good parts made me wish it were better than it is

but it made me notice something about late-Groening that, once I started noticing, I couldn't stop noticing, but I don't quite know how to articulate it

to illustrate, I rewrote a scene from Anchorman in the new-simpsons' house style
please observe:

I really wish I had a short, pithy way to describe and ridicule this tendency.
it's like they start out knowing they need a joke, but they don't know how to get there, so they just have the characters say or do things that make absolutely no sense for them or the situation except to set-up and payoff a gag, and the end result is, instead of a joke, even a bad one, it's just this sort of joke-shaped object that doesn't even make enough sense to register as not funny, and then the show just sort of moves on

anyway, I also started watching bojack horseman. I'm probably going to continue watching bojack horseman, it's about as good as people say

You're missing the obligatory eyeroll and groan by the straight man character, to further indicate the joke.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Absolutely do not watch the Poochy episode with commentary turned on, the writers get a bit salty.

What did they say exactly? I'm legitimately curious to see what exactly what THEY thought the takeaway from that episode was supposed to be.

Bust Rodd posted:

It was so severe that they developed Animaniacs in response thinking that the characters wouldn’t be sexualized

The funny thing is that this was way more sexually over than anything in Animaniacs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnHNPMMvCCY

Slightly Absurd posted:

There were only two Minerva Mink shorts, and I wouldn't be surprised if they purposefully tried avoiding airing those episodes on repeat.

Hot take: I didn't mind the MM episode that involved the werewolf.

Hotter take: The Simpsons was still watcheable until at least season 15. I used to think the show took nose dive after season 9 in quality, but thinking about it, I may have to re-evaluate that. It is definitely true that the show is noticeably different starting around that time, but I used to think that it became less funny, which I don't think is the case. The main problems is that the characters changed to become more obnoxious and cynical, while the plots became more absurd and nonsensical. But the show still had plenty of good humor, imo. Even when I was complaining about the episodes back in the day, I would still watch them, and still laugh quite often throughout the episodes.

Somebody in this thread metaphorically looked at me like I was wearing a vest of Armour hot dogs when I listed a bunch of episodes from season 12 that I thought were funny. Well, I still stand by it! I mean, look at the episode when Krusty finds out he has a daughter.

*after Krusty bets his daughter's violin in a card game*
accountant: monetarily this ain't worth much, but the sentimental value is off the charts!

Krusty: Every mob family in the country's here: the Cuomos, the Travoltas, the Lasordas, the Boyardees....

Legs: Hey, I heard there's a lunar eclipse tonight. Maybe we should look up.
Louie: Nah. For me, it's solar or nothing.

Fat Tony: Now some unpleasant news. I have learned that someone in this room is a squealer.
Legs: We've narrowed it down to either Johnny Tightlips or Frankie the Squealer.
Frankie the Squealer: Okay, it's me! I can't help it! I just like squealing! It makes me feel big!

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 19, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

What did they say exactly? I'm legitimately curious to see what exactly what THEY thought the takeaway from that episode was supposed to be.

The funny thing is that this was way more sexually over than anything in Animaniacs:

Hot take: I didn't mind the MM episode that involved the werewolf.

Hotter take: The Simpsons was still watcheable until at least season 15. I used to think the show took nose dive after season 9 in quality, but thinking about it, I may have to re-evaluate that. It is definitely true that the show is noticeably different starting around that time, but I used to think that it became less funny, which I don't think is the case. The main problems is that the characters changed to become more obnoxious and cynical, while the plots became more absurd and nonsensical. But the show still had plenty of good humor, imo. Even when I was complaining about the episodes back in the day, I would still watch them, and still laugh quite often throughout the episodes.

Somebody in this thread metaphorically looked at me like I was wearing a vest of Armour hot dogs when I listed a bunch of episodes from season 12 that I thought were funny. Well, I still stand by it! I mean, look at the episode when Krusty finds out he has a daughter.

*after Krusty bets his daughter's violin in a card game*
accountant: monetarily this ain't worth much, but the sentimental value is off the charts!

Krusty: Every mob family in the country's here: the Cuomos, the Travoltas, the Lasordas, the Boyardees....

Legs: Hey, I heard there's a lunar eclipse tonight. Maybe we should look up.
Louie: Nah. For me, it's solar or nothing.

Fat Tony: Now some unpleasant news. I have learned that someone in this room is a squealer.
Legs: We've narrowed it down to either Johnny Tightlips or Frankie the Squealer.
Frankie the Squealer: Okay, it's me! I can't help it! I just like squealing! It makes me feel big!

Those jokes all suck though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Atlas Hugged posted:

Some people have good chemistry and it's just interesting to listen to them talk to each other. Ken Jennings and John Roderick have that kind of a relationship on Omnibus and actually make it part of the show. They start with seemingly random banter and relate it directly to introducing the topic.

Podcast banter is definitely something that is either good or bad with no real gray area between.

I think the bad banter comes from two angles:
- New podcasters thinking that hearing other podcasters banter in an entertaining way is easy
- Formerly good banter, that has become bad because the modicum of fame generated caused the podcasters to get too high huffing their own farts (this is most bad banter).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cyril Sneer posted:

The lowest point of the Simpsons was when Animaniacs fans apparently never saw Minerva Mink :whatthechrist:

I also watched Animaniacs all the time and have no memory of Minerva Mink.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I remember there being good memorable jokes in the Simpsons up to season 12. It's just that when you get to around season 10 you start to get to the point where half or more of the jokes are misses and there are whole episodes that I just skip without a problem.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
The lowest point of the Simpsons has yet to come.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Roleplaying Larry posted:

The lowest point of the Simpsons has yet to come.

Synopsis of the next upcoming episode

quote:

"On a family vacation to Niagara Falls, Lisa is mistakenly granted political asylum in Canada. When Marge goes to rescue Lisa, they are forced to re-evaluate their love for America as they navigate the polite Canadian landscape."

Guest starring Judy Blume as herself.

So, in the last couple of seasons, I there has been a Denmark episode, a New Orleans episode and now a Canada episode that are all rear end-kissing travelogues. Is Al Jean getting kickbacks from tourism boards?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I believe this would be the 4th time they've been to Canada.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

ha ha ha Canadians are polite ha ha definitely haven't heard that joke so many times that I need to express the number with scientific notation

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
ask the first nations how polite canadians are

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

So, in the last couple of seasons, I there has been a Denmark episode, a New Orleans episode and now a Canada episode that are all rear end-kissing travelogues. Is Al Jean getting kickbacks from tourism boards?

Don't forgot the Boston and Iceland episodes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Have the Simpsons actually gone to Mexico

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Calaveron posted:

Have the Simpsons actually gone to Mexico

Only when Krusty took the kids to Tijuana.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Mr Interweb posted:

My siblings and I had a VHS tape of the Tiny Toons music videos and we'd watch it all the time. I remember my mom always hating that segment, she'd tell us every time that it wasn't good. At the time I thought it was "Fuddonna" she objected to, but now.... I think I understand better. Good lord.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

I believe this would be the 4th time they've been to Canada.

This will be the 2nd time in two seasons they've gone somewhere and liked it so much that they decided America sucks compared to it

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Synopsis of the next upcoming episode

Guest starring Judy Blume as herself.

The Denmark episode was the first late Simpsons I've watched in quite awhile and good lord was it awful. There were some good Simpsons go to a place episodes back in the day but in the past, like, 2 decades they've reliably been some of the worst episodes.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLFpTLEnrqU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

This will be the 2nd time in two seasons they've gone somewhere and liked it so much that they decided America sucks compared to it

Niagara Falls, NY is a goddamn wasteland compared to Niagara Falls, Ontario

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

still hate it

what's the opposite of :dudsmile:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

finalellipsis posted:

still hate it

what's the opposite of :dudsmile:

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

yeah that was pretty much my reaction

Homer just sounds so goddamn bored

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

why does he sound like he's about to pass out

also holy poo poo the animation is horrible

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

YeahTubaMike posted:

Holy gently caress they've just resorted to using simpsons cartoon studio from the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le-liyQA-Wg

Teik
Mar 2, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Wirth1000 posted:

Holy gently caress they've just resorted to using simpsons cartoon studio from the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le-liyQA-Wg

better animation than post-2006 simpsons and not even joking in the slightest.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I didn't think I'd ever describe someone as looking like they're sucking a bowl of soup's dick but that clip changed everything.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

It's funny because it's some of the best animation in recent seasons.

Yes, I mean that in the worst way possible.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

So many great clips where you can imagine homer sucking a dick

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Also cajun crawfish gets mentioned twice

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

Dan is 61 years old. Yeardley is one of the youngest of the main voices and she's 54. You can hear their throats giving out, but it also sounds like actors record their lines in different booths at different times.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Plan Z posted:

Dan is 61 years old. Yeardley is one of the youngest of the main voices and she's 54. You can hear their throats giving out, but it also sounds like actors record their lines in different booths at different times.
pretty sure they all work from home now

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Plan Z posted:

their voices don't even sound old, per se -- it just sounds like dan castellaneta in particular has been forced to record for 24 straight hours or something

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
There's an old clip of the cast on "Inside the Actors Studio" where they all seem completely bored and disdainful at having to talk to James Lipton in their cartoon voices.

https://vimeo.com/115887786 Skip to 43:45 to watch the amateur playwright have his heart ripped in half at the knowledge that his heroes don't even talk outside of work.

Teik
Mar 2, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Milo and POTUS posted:

So many great clips where you can imagine homer sucking a dick

When you think about it it's a pretty good encapsulation of the whole show at this point

-whiny lisa
-homer eats fuud!!!! hahaha lol!!
-voice actors sounding way way bored and old
-"I forgot to make a joke" - The Simpsons writers

and not to mention just sucking
mad
loving
dick

...HARD.

Teik fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Are you loving serious with these backgrounds?? They're just photos they've run through a filter! It looks like an Archer crossover episode.