Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I am also a Florida man, but I’m nowhere sick of Disney, so while we’re skipping Disneyland, we’re definitely doing DisneySea but skipping Toy Story since we can do that here.

Tower of Terror is the same “ride” in Orlando, but themed completely differently in Japan, starring who is essentially old Joseph Joestar instead of being an episode of Twilight Zone, so that’s for sure on our list.

The volcano ride, Sinbad, Crystal Skull and the Aztec ride are also TDS exclusives so we’ll be hitting those up too. I think Disneyland California still had 20,000 Leagues? Is that ride any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
California does not have 20,000 Leagues. And I have ridden Indy Jones in LA probably a hundred times and could barely tell any difference in the Disney Sea version.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Holy poo poo, the Imperial Palace website is a nightmare to navigate.

I guess we can only purchase tickets to see the full tour a month or so in advanced?

My understanding is you can see a lot of the grounds for free, but have to apply/pay for a guided tour of more of it?

Is it worth it, or is it a tourist trap?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

sale on Banksy art posted:

California does not have 20,000 Leagues. And I have ridden Indy Jones in LA probably a hundred times and could barely tell any difference in the Disney Sea version.

I’ve never been to California, so while I’ll try to ride Indy in Tokyo, it’ll definitely be on the bottom of my priority list now. Thanks!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Sinbad ride at Disneysea rules.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Shibawanko posted:

The song is so catchy. And Shandu is amazing

Plus the line is never long

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

BlueBayou posted:

The song is so catchy. And Shandu is amazing

Plus the line is never long

In the end, the room smells like bananas

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

there was no line when we went and my son went on it three straight times (once with me, then twice with my wife and sister) lol

all of DisneySea owns, the journey to the center of the earth was out of order when we went so it’s just another excuse to go back before too long

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

sale on Banksy art posted:

you get fake fire shot at you in the tds one

also aquatopia is a tds sclucy. and it rules, especially during summer when they turn on the bits that just dump water on you. it's possibly the most soaked any ride has ever gotten me.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's too bad that the railway from Tokyo to Osaka one way or $130. :(

Sneak into a Service Area and hitchhike down. If you take the train down to Yokohama, the Kohoku Parking Area was easy and I found a ride pretty quick.

Vinny Possum fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 18, 2019

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Vinny Possum posted:

Sneak into a Service Area and hitchhike down. If you take the train down to Yokohama, the Kohoku Parking Area was easy and I found a ride pretty quick.

next level

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pththya-lyi posted:

I saw a video on the train between Incheon International Airport and Seoul about how the Liancourt Islands OBVIOUSLY belong to Korea and Japan KNOWS IT

Yeah they show that video non stop on every train with TV screens and various points of entry and stuff.

October 8th (I believe, might be mixing with Hangeul [The Most Scientific Alphabet] Day) is also Dokdo Day, one of the three official Japan Hate Days of the year.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

グッバイ Tokyo, it’s been real (weird). One more Tokyu Food Show run for the road.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Stringent posted:

Shout out to zmcnulty for the tip about tachinomiya to meet the locals.

Missed this, but yes tachinomi are generally the friendliest places in Tokyo for interacting with randos. And a fairly low chance of being overrun with gaijins. The "tachi" thing is branching out beyond noodles as well, there's an awesome tachi-yakiniku near my place for example.

Kaku-uchi are also pretty good, though fairly rare in Tokyo.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I'm not a huge theme park guy, but if I were to go to one in Japan it'd probably be the local option Fuji Q - https://www.fujiq.jp/en/

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

zmcnulty posted:

Missed this, but yes tachinomi are generally the friendliest places in Tokyo for interacting with randos. And a fairly low chance of being overrun with gaijins. The "tachi" thing is branching out beyond noodles as well, there's an awesome tachi-yakiniku near my place for example.

Kaku-uchi are also pretty good, though fairly rare in Tokyo.

Is it a matter of tachi being places to socialize in general, or is it the presence of us foreigners?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ntan1 posted:

next level

Hitchhiking is pretty fun and easy in Japan, only issue is if you’re here for a short period it can be a waste of time.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Is it a matter of tachi being places to socialize in general, or is it the presence of us foreigners?

It's both, they are generally social places to begin with and gaijins tend to amplify that. Especially if your nihongo is totemo jozu

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

zmcnulty posted:

It's both, they are generally social places to begin with and gaijins tend to amplify that. Especially if your nihongo is totemo jozu

上手なんてないけど I managed to get along well with a few salarypeople. I got called nee-san :3: I wonder if I should take dad to one, might try my luck for a similar experience in Osaka.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pollyanna posted:

上手なんてないけど I managed to get along well with a few salarypeople. I got called nee-san :3: I wonder if I should take dad to one, might try my luck for a similar experience in Osaka.

From my experience, people in Osaka were the most genuinely chill and welcoming in the country. Nice place, chill folks, good food. If I lived in Japan I'd definitely wanna be in Osaka.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
In Osaka you just tachinomi in the street.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I think I just saw a cult leader at sensoji. Some old dude with long gray hair and beard, dressed in all white and followed by like 3 photographers and a cadre of rich people.

First Tom Green, now a cult. Tokyo always delivers.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 19, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We ended up spending 1 night in Hakone, leaving at 12 the next day (right now), and...I don’t really feel like it was worth it? We basically just did a ryokan thing for a night, got lost climbing up steep hills, ate crappy conbini food, and ride a gondola through heavy mist. We got maybe 30 seconds of Fuji.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Ahem ahem I did say hakone wasn’t great

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Go to Kamakuraaaaaaaaa

For the Buddha photo op if nothing else

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

caberham posted:

Ahem ahem I did say hakone wasn’t great

I would have skipped it but it’s dad’s leg of the trip and he can’t plan for poo poo so :/

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Go to Kamakuraaaaaaaaa

For the Buddha photo op if nothing else

I wish. Nope, straight to Kyoto after less than 16 hours in Hakone or some poo poo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is the same guy who splits one rice ball between three people, married to the woman who bought whole wheat bread and has only been picking at it during her time here.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
At a ryokan you're supposed to go to the baths, lounge around drinking, eat the provided meals at the ryokan, lounge around drinking some more, take another bath, etc.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We got to the ryokan, dropped off our stuff, immediately walked out and climbed the hills to find food, failed miserably and bought conbini food instead, I spilled genshu on myself, mom got super frustrated and asked me to get us a taxi, and I attempted my most complicated Japanese to date with the world’s most patient front desk lady while dad grumbled about the cost. Then we woke up at 6 am and immediately checked out and hosed off to the cable cars to try and see Mt. Fuji. The fog was too thick and we saw absolutely jack poo poo.

Dad took exactly one bath. Mom refused and was extremely confused with the non-western shower/bathtub room.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I had a really nice weekend in hakone except for the crazy long lines for the cable car cause I went on a long weekend.

Japanese baths loving rule, your parents are lame hth

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I actually felt sorry for Homesick Girl from earlier in the thread, but reading about your parents makes me really frustrated

Getting overwhelmed by something you thought you'd enjoy is one thing, but why would you go to a ryokan if you don't plan on having the ryokan experience? :psyduck:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Because research and curiosity is for assholes apparently :shrug:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Meh least you got a trip somehow :( hope you have a better one next time

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We’re basically splitting Kyoto (he got to choose one restaurant), so I’m gonna make sure Kyoto doesn’t suck.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I spent one night in a ryokan in hakone and it ruled. the food was awesome. The next morning we took a bus up a mountain and went to some ancient tea house where we had snacks and several kinds of delicious tea and that hot sake drink that has rice in it. Then we wandered around the lake area, a long chill walk through those two little towns near the southern end and the old cedar avenue thing between them. we also went to the evangelion store, which ruled. hakone is cool.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
yeah, sorry your parents are poo poo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah when dad says he got a ryokan I was like “oh wow” cause I was thinking of the poo poo you see in Yakuza, but it looks like he meant “washitsu”.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

d0s posted:

I spent one night in a ryokan in hakone and it ruled. the food was awesome. The next morning we took a bus up a mountain and went to some ancient tea house where we had snacks and several kinds of delicious tea and that hot sake drink that has rice in it. Then we wandered around the lake area, a long chill walk through those two little towns near the southern end and the old cedar avenue thing between them. we also went to the evangelion store, which ruled. hakone is cool.

sorry to ruin your boat (but I'm very happy you had a good experience and my first time in Hakone was also that way back in like 2002 or so)

Food in hakone is usually subpar or exorbitantly expensive because it's so close to Tokyo and attracts a good deal of tourists. A lot of Japanese also have the feeling that you should eat youshoku in Hakone, because there are a lot of chefs there who cater to the western palate and upcharge for a luxury ryokan (ie, like 50k/person upcharge). Except a lot of fancy youshoku in ryokans end up sucking due to difference in palate or us having lived in a western country longer (and trust me I have a super Japanese palate and still think some of this food just is wrong). So it's not particularly a good location personally in terms of value. The ryokan's over-cater to foreign guests, and any ryokan with too many foreign guests end up sucking for a multitude of reasons. If you're interested why I can explain this in more detail.

The onsen water in hakone in most ryokans tend to have nothing interesting in them, so it's not particularly interesting for an onsen nerd either. You'd think it would have stuff, being so close to a volcanic sulfur area, but nope.

Now, to break caberham's thing:

Actually, there are some really good sento in Hakone that are sort of hidden from the tourist crowd, because they want to be careful with allocation of water. So there are some really good public baths a tiny bit away from all of the tourist attractions that have huge value for the onsen nerd, but you need to do some research in Japanese about them. So it's worth a car trip!!

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah when dad says he got a ryokan I was like “oh wow” cause I was thinking of the poo poo you see in Yakuza, but it looks like he meant “washitsu”.

uh that part is you not knowing what is meant by a ryokan