Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Recommend me the best wok

Go to an Asian market and get a carbon steel wok from there in whatever size your burner can handle. There's not really an AllClad type quality differentiation in woks.

Edit: If you are in a city with no Asian markets and want Amazon, this will be good.

You'll want a wok ring for your gas stove. If you have a electric. I'd just not buy a wok, or buy a dedicated wok burner.

Also, season it will from the very beginning for fewer headaches down the road. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndv-uT94BGM

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Do you have a wok burner? A real wok doesn’t have a flat bottom, and won’t sit on a conventional electric or gas range.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Thanks guys. I will first work on getting a wok burner then buy one of the ones recommended

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm looking for grilling tool recommendations... my brother is getting a new rig for his birthday, and I'd like to pick up a spatula, a fork, whatever else seems useful.

I'm probably overthinking this (ie, just go get a Coleman set at the box store), but I've gotten so much useless grilling poo poo over the years that I figured I'd check.

My dad has this sharp, pig-tail tool you can use to hook meats and move/stabilize them. It's pretty handy.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Brawnfire posted:

My dad has this sharp, pig-tail tool you can use to hook meats and move/stabilize them. It's pretty handy.

You mean a corkscrew?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Recommend me the best wok

What's your stove situation? The best woks must have a rounded bottom so if you're on a gas stove you can get a cast iron holder that allows you to place that kind of wok in it. If you're on an electric stovetop I would get a flatbottomed carbon steel one from your local kitchen supply place.

E:gently caress I'm way late

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have seen flat bottomed pans with high curved sides, a kind of quasi wok, but they were Teflon. I wish they made one in carbon steel.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

wormil posted:

I have seen flat bottomed pans with high curved sides, a kind of quasi wok, but they were Teflon. I wish they made one in carbon steel.

Flat bottomed pans make the woking world go round

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

You can get this wok for $17 off the shelf at your local Walmart and its great https://www.walmart.com/ip/IMUSA-USA-14-Natural-Non-Coated-Wok-with-Triangle-Bakelite-Handle-Silver/28866834
It is also made in China for extra authenticity. The protective coating is a pain to get off, but its $17, and it gets screaming hot on my gas stove without a wok ring and has a flat enough bottom to sit on the stove, but its not a big wide flat or anything. I feel like it improved my stir fry game 200% over using a normal skillet.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, that's a good idea... I've got one from a blacksmith. I mostly use it as a poker, but it's good for large cuts, too.

I've only heard it referred to as a "steak-flipper."

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

IMO if you're puncturing your protein while it's on the grill you're drying it out for no benefit. You don't need a meat hook unless you're dealing with massive slabs like in a smoker or commercial situation.

E: or am I misinterpreting what you guys are talking about?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Keep your juices in the chops//
Keep your juices in the brats

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I think it's just a small stabby thing used to prick the end of meat on the grill and flip it. Used instead of tongs so you don't disturb the rub or sauce. I'm guessing because the only context I've heard of them is in BBQ contests.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

They're awesome.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I don't think you lose a really noticeable amount of moisture from whole pieces of meat when you puncture them. Sausages can lose a lot of juice that way though.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

If anyone still needs a blender, Amazon has the Vitamix Professional Series 750 for $498 right now. That’s at least a hundred dollars lower than the regular price.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I'm considering getting a meat grinder. Likely to get a kitchenaid attachment, although if someone recommends a manual or standalone I'd give it a shot. I'm considering this:

https://www.amazon.com/HOZODO-Attac...8-1-spons&psc=1

The linked one is metal, whereas the official kitchenaid one is plastic and had reviews saying that the blade is made of stamped steel and isn't sharp enough. This has high amazon reviews, but those could be paid for. Anyone here have an opinion about this one or can recommend a different model?

Thanks.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Smokehouse chef is the o.g. steel KA grinder and was the only until recently it seems. See if you can find a comparison between the two, it costs more.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Probably a stupid question but are meat grinders easy to clean? Can they go in the dishwasher?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Smokehouse chef can, although the blade will rust in crevices. The linked one cannot.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Ours comes apart pretty easily and aside from the grates, all the parts are easy to scrub by hand. If you do dishwasher them, I recommend taking out of the dishwasher as soon as it is done, hand drying, then coating in some vegetable oil and storing in a ziploc

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I've had good luck with my KitchenAid one. I put it in the dishwasher without problems, and it meets my meat-grindin' home-kitchen needs.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I already posted this, but I'm going to post again because I'm actually really impressed.

if you are in the market for a kitchen scale, especially one for bread, forget the kd-8000 and go straight for the maestro

it's basically the same price (comes in lower than the kd8k + ac adapter, and it includes an adapter) and it is a pretty big upgrade in several ways

key differences, from least to most important:

1) softer touch buttons, with a more responsive ui
2) more pleasing beeps
3) better form factor, with a slightly larger weighing platform and less vertical height
4) it shows you how close to overloading the scale you are, so you don't damage it
5) detachable display
6) slide-out 0.1g scale
7) it's all black so that's obviously a huge perk

it's basically what happens when you ask michael ruhlman how to design the perfect kitchen scale. he takes the kd-8000 and overhauls it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
drat that sounds nice but I bought the old model like 2 months ago

Oh well it works great

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How often do good stand mixers go on sale? I noticed that Costco's got their 6qt kitchenaid on sale for 250 (down from 330) but I was wondering if I should hold out for a better deal or if that's about as good as I'll get.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That’s as good as I’ve seen

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I’m pretty sure I got my kitchen aid 6qt pro at 229 through Costco, but there’s not a huge difference at that point

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I already posted this, but I'm going to post again because I'm actually really impressed.

if you are in the market for a kitchen scale, especially one for bread, forget the kd-8000 and go straight for the maestro

it's basically the same price (comes in lower than the kd8k + ac adapter, and it includes an adapter) and it is a pretty big upgrade in several ways

key differences, from least to most important:

1) softer touch buttons, with a more responsive ui
2) more pleasing beeps
3) better form factor, with a slightly larger weighing platform and less vertical height
4) it shows you how close to overloading the scale you are, so you don't damage it
5) detachable display
6) slide-out 0.1g scale
7) it's all black so that's obviously a huge perk

it's basically what happens when you ask michael ruhlman how to design the perfect kitchen scale. he takes the kd-8000 and overhauls it.

drat I need a 0.1 g scale but I already bought the KD-8000.

AnonSpore posted:

How often do good stand mixers go on sale? I noticed that Costco's got their 6qt kitchenaid on sale for 250 (down from 330) but I was wondering if I should hold out for a better deal or if that's about as good as I'll get.

$250 is what I got my KitchenAid mixer for on Amazon. It’s the lowest price I’ve seen for them.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I ordered that mixer from Costco so thanks for the alert. We have a KitchenAid artisan now, which I believe SubG (or maybe it was Chef de Cuisinart) has referred to as "literal trash" and I tend to agree.

Hed fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 19, 2019

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

$250 is what I got my KitchenAid mixer for on Amazon. It’s the lowest price I’ve seen for them.

That is the price I got for a refurbished one at a kitchen outlet store a few years ago, so it seems like a great deal.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Follow up question, how much do you guys use your stand mixers? I make cookies and egg pasta once a month or so and I'm interested in learning bread/cakes but I'm wondering if the stand mixer really does anything that you couldn't do with more elbow grease instead.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Follow up question, how much do you guys use your stand mixers? I make cookies and egg pasta once a month or so and I'm interested in learning bread/cakes but I'm wondering if the stand mixer really does anything that you couldn't do with more elbow grease instead.

not particularly, it's mostly a function of time & effort

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

I mean, if you want to make cookies like Christina Tosi by hand, feel free, and you'll be extremely swole in no time

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

I'm a total luddite so I tend to do everything by hand (cookies included), but tamales really benefited from using my mother-in-law's stand mixer. You make such a large amount and it's kind of tough beating as opposed to beating butter which isn't too hard.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A very enriched bread like brioche it's good to have but most bread I just do in a bowl. I've used it to shred pork.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

AnonSpore posted:

Can I get the recipe for that cookies and egg pasta? Sounds a little weird, but if you make it once a month, it must be great right?

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

I mean... you can do anything with enough elbow grease, but being able to dump 4 ingredients, and drink a cup of coffee in the 10 minutes I do nothing to then eat fresh pasta or bread is enough value to have the stand mixer. The more stuff you do, however easy to make by hand, the more the stand mixer will pay for itself IMO.

It's been a while since I've had to knead some hard dough for 10 minutes, and I don't think I want to go back.

Also throw in the upgraded beater and everything will take way less time.

My only gripe is there is no wet grinder attachment to make corn masa :doh:

ogarza fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 20, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can do meringues or whipped cream fine with a handheld mixer, but since I have a stand mixer, I'm glad to use it for those. You do want the wiper blade. I think the real "gently caress this, I'm not doing it without a stand mixer" is bread, but now no-knead bread is such a thing, sooo

A stand mixer isn't required, it's just a nice-to-have. Lurk Craigslist for awhile and pick up a used one for like $100. Even if you hate the color, you can repaint it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oh yeah bagels need a mixer and also kills weaker kitchen aids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you're in no hurry to get one watch shopgoodwill auctions.
I've seen some go for hilariously cheap.
You just have to be aware of what the seller will charge in shipping done of them will gouge you on it.