Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Che Delilas posted:

The only warning a PHP ide or linter should generate is "Warning: This is PHP"

edit: :goonsay:

(fset 'php-mode 'kill-emacs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What is just as likely with typos like that is that it was done somewhere else too in a higher scope so it thinks it's legit.

(edit: typo of my own!)

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 19, 2019

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Yep. I’ve learned to be basically terrified of renaming things in some languages unless I really trust the IDE. It’s just not worth it.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
i just found a service one of my guys wrote that
1) creates a new thread every request
2) does not require authentication
3) inserts data that is not validated into both of our databases

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pokeyman posted:

Yep. I’ve learned to be basically terrified of renaming things in some languages unless I really trust the IDE. It’s just not worth it.

personally I just avoid those languages whenever possible. it is bizarre that people continue to choose languages that weren’t designed to support good tooling, when there are excellent alternatives for every domain that were built with tools like me in mind

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
sometimes there's a bunch of legacy poo poo written in a language you didn't choose and you have to work on it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

I'm real fussy about brackets and that image is making me legitimately angry :catstare:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Looks like someone wishes they were using python

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

The Fool posted:

Looks like someone wishes they were using python

it took me way longer than i'd care to admit to recognize that as java.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
The real horror is no single space before the parentheses in those method declarations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Woodsy Owl posted:

The real horror is no single space before the parentheses in those method declarations.

:wrong:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Woodsy Owl posted:

please stop posting while super high it makes you write weird and wrong things

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Woodsy Owl posted:

lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Woodsy Owl posted:

:frogout:

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

it took me way longer than i'd care to admit to recognize that as java.

I knew it was some C derivative, but wasn't able to parse (:haw:) while having to throw plates around at work.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Woodsy Owl posted:

Does anyone know if These People also put a space before the parens in function calls?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I need someone to make a linter to enforce that now just to see how many people unironically start using it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

tankadillo posted:

I need someone to make a linter to enforce that now just to see how many people unironically start using it.

It wouldn't be too bad as long as the linter or IDE enforces indentation/whitespace to ensure the visible structure matches the actual structure of the code.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It wouldn't be too bad as long as the linter or IDE enforces indentation/whitespace to ensure the visible structure matches the actual structure of the code.

This is backwards. You want an ide to automatically adjust braces and semicolons so that the actual structure matches the visual structure.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The IDE should contain a checkbox list of various formatting preferences and it should then reformat any code to your preferences.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ola posted:

The IDE should contain a checkbox list of various formatting preferences and it should then reformat any code to your preferences.

I feel like that's how I ended up spending a summer unfucking websites that were built in Microsoft Word...

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
If you type too many characters since the last semicolon, the IDE should put one for you. Same with closing parens. Same with too many line breaks since the last closing curly brace.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Dumb Lowtax posted:

If you type too many characters since the last semicolon, the IDE should put one for you. Same with closing parens. Same with too many line breaks since the last closing curly brace.

I smell a machine learning project in here.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Source code should only ever save to disk as an AST and IDE's should just format them into readable text on load.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

CPColin posted:

Source code should only ever save to disk as an AST and IDE's should just format them into readable text on load.

This is better enforced at the source control level, but yes. Also IDEs should have integrated debuggers that allow you to step backward.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ola posted:

The IDE should contain a checkbox list of various formatting preferences and it should then reformat any code to a fixed standard using an unconfigurable tool shipped with the language.

I linted your post

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

I linted your post

great, so long as i'm consulted on what the standard formatting should be, and that idiot rob pike doesn't get any say in it because he sure made the wrong decisions for gofmt

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

It seems to me that the big problem would be when you inevitably forget a bracket or semicolon then it would be infuriating to figure out where it was supposed to go.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tankadillo posted:

It seems to me that the big problem would be when you inevitably forget a bracket or semicolon then it would be infuriating to figure out where it was supposed to go.

Well, not if your IDE is the one inserting the brackets and semicolons by examining Python-style indentation

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Personally I find my code usually starts at the colon

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Athas posted:

Does anyone know if These People also put a space before the parens in function calls?

Yes, yes they do.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Phobeste posted:

Personally I find my code usually starts at the colon

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
My code comes from exiting my colon

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I have my preferences, but really I don't care about this poo poo as long as everyone in the project is doing the same thing.

That's why I like these opinionated linters like Black or Prettier. No configuration, no argument! (right? i hope? please?)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I have my preferences, but really I don't care about this poo poo as long as everyone in the project is doing the same thing.

Me too, but it shouldn't matter in a project either, that's why it should just get reformatted in each client. The running code doesn't care.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I agree somewhat, but I spend way too much time reading code on github/bitbucket/gitlab etc.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Thermopyle posted:

That's why I like these opinionated linters like Black

--skip-string-normalization

--line-length

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Thermopyle posted:

I have my preferences, but really I don't care about this poo poo as long as everyone in the project is doing the same thing as me.

Fixed for myself.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Ola posted:

Me too, but it shouldn't matter in a project either, that's why it should just get reformatted in each client. The running code doesn't care.

You’re talking like you think it’s possible for an automated process to make the correct aesthetic judgements to format code the right way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Soricidus posted:

You’re talking like you think it’s possible for an automated process to make the correct aesthetic judgements to format code the right way

> yourSourceCode.js always produces the most beautiful code possible.