Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

I'm getting back into Godzilla movies again, and I've been looking up different collections of them, but I'm not sure which one would be best. I want the best bang for my buck, but I'm pretty naive at this sort of thing. Is there a recommendation for the best Godzilla collection? Preferably Blu-ray?

The Godzilla thread should be able to help.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772178

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Oh, durr, I should have thought of that.

:doh:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_f0UKwCNwg

What does Terry Crews' character mean with this one-liner?:
A) Remember me during Christmas time, because I should definitely deserve Christmas gifts for saving all of you. If you were already buying gifts for me, you should increase your budget.
B) Remember this automatic shotgun during Christmas time, because this is a great weapon and you would want it as Christmas gift to yourself. Or put it on your wishlist to Santa.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mierenneuker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_f0UKwCNwg

What does Terry Crews' character mean with this one-liner?:
A) Remember me during Christmas time, because I should definitely deserve Christmas gifts for saving all of you. If you were already buying gifts for me, you should increase your budget.
B) Remember this automatic shotgun during Christmas time, because this is a great weapon and you would want it as Christmas gift to yourself. Or put it on your wishlist to Santa.

I think A

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The way it's cut, it looks like he's yelling it at the dudes he just machinegunned to death.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

I'm getting back into Godzilla movies again, and I've been looking up different collections of them, but I'm not sure which one would be best. I want the best bang for my buck, but I'm pretty naive at this sort of thing. Is there a recommendation for the best Godzilla collection? Preferably Blu-ray?

It's very likely Criterion is going to put out a Godzilla set on Blu-ray in the near future.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Egbert Souse posted:

It's very likely Criterion is going to put out a Godzilla set on Blu-ray in the near future.

Any rumors about what it would include? I'd assume just the Showa stuff but if there was a Criterion release of Godzilla Final War I would lose my poo poo.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FWIW I think Criterion Channel has a whole collection of the classic Godzilla films streaming

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Any rumors about what it would include? I'd assume just the Showa stuff but if there was a Criterion release of Godzilla Final War I would lose my poo poo.

They've got rights to a bunch of the Showa stuff (and have for a while, even before Filmstruck and the Criterion Channel) so those movies would probably be included. And of that series I think it may be everything except King Kong vs. Godzilla (the US/world rights to which are owned by Universal still.)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

They've got rights to a bunch of the Showa stuff (and have for a while, even before Filmstruck and the Criterion Channel) so those movies would probably be included. And of that series I think it may be everything except King Kong vs. Godzilla (the US/world rights to which are owned by Universal still.)

Even anything with rights with other studios shouldn't be a huge deal since Sony distributes Criterion's physical releases and they've had a relationship with Universal going back to the laserdisc days.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Should I (or do I have to) watch the movie Split before I watch Glass?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Ego-bot posted:

You should or you won't have several characters back story.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ego-bot posted:

You should.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I saw Unbreakable about 15 years ago so I'm good there.

Thanks for the answers.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Finally saw BlacKkKlansman since it's on HBO now, and there was this weird part in the scene when the real Ron is trying to "bodyguard" David Duke and the klansmen are hassling him. They make him wait outside the ceremony room and the doofus guy does this strange thing where he stops to make this bizarre face at Ron:

Am I overthinking this and it's just Spike Lee going "Look at this dumbass racist," or is this some kind of racist code thing (like their creepy little secret handshake later)?

I know it's most likely I'm overthinking it, but it felt so out of place that I have to wonder if there's more to it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Deadguy2322 posted:

It doesn’t.

The technology angle totally kills the shock of the premise.

no i think they are leaving the voodoo/possession stuff in

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Parachute posted:

no i think they are leaving the voodoo/possession stuff in

Even with the voodoo, something that isn’t really supposed to do much of anything suddenly being ambulatory on its own is much freakier than a robot suddenly having free will.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

El Jeffe posted:

Finally saw BlacKkKlansman since it's on HBO now, and there was this weird part in the scene when the real Ron is trying to "bodyguard" David Duke and the klansmen are hassling him. They make him wait outside the ceremony room and the doofus guy does this strange thing where he stops to make this bizarre face at Ron:

Am I overthinking this and it's just Spike Lee going "Look at this dumbass racist," or is this some kind of racist code thing (like their creepy little secret handshake later)?

I know it's most likely I'm overthinking it, but it felt so out of place that I have to wonder if there's more to it.

I figured it was just a guy acting like a shithead because he can.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Is there some movie where characters are in a movie theater fighting and their fight replicates what's happening on the movie theater screen? Just watched Bachelor Party which uses that gag but I swear I've seen it somewhere else before.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s bound not to be what you’re thinking of, but the scenario reminds me of the T2 3D show at Universal.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blazing Saddles?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Unlikely it's what's on your mind, but in Agent Carter a Captain America radio drama plays while Peggy matches the moves blow-for-blow.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Almost Blue posted:

Is there some movie where characters are in a movie theater fighting and their fight replicates what's happening on the movie theater screen? Just watched Bachelor Party which uses that gag but I swear I've seen it somewhere else before.

Wasn't a movie screen, but in Temple of Doom, when Indy's fighting the Giant Thugee, and Short Round's fighting the drugged Maharajah, their movements mimic one another briefly.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Wasn't a movie screen, but in Temple of Doom, when Indy's fighting the Giant Thugee, and Short Round's fighting the drugged Maharajah, their movements mimic one another briefly.

yeah this is what i was thinking of

Parachute
May 18, 2003
also me when i saw the raid 2 in an empty theater

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Last Action Hero doesnt quite have that but its close

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

no open palm slam?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Makes me think of The Sandlot with the dog jumping through the screen.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Last Dragon has a scene where the Shogun of Harlem fights people while Enter the Dragon plays in the background. I can't remember if his movements mimic the ones on screen though.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
God drat I love that movie, it’s the 80s in a bottle.

Also famous for having the worst trailer in history.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Davros1 posted:

Empress Brosephine posted:

Blazing Saddles?

Samuel Clemens posted:

The Last Dragon has a scene where the Shogun of Harlem fights people while Enter the Dragon plays in the background. I can't remember if his movements mimic the ones on screen though.

I'm pretty sure it's one of these three. Thanks! I'll have to re-watch them all sometime soon.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I just watched Creed and he follows along when he’s watching the Rocky v Apollo fight. Not quite what you’re looking for I’m sure but it’s there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm trying to think of a fight scene but all I keep coming up with is Troy McClure talking to Selma while behind them on the movie screen he's saying the same things to Miss Piggy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Maestro posted:

I just watched Creed and he follows along when he’s watching the Rocky v Apollo fight. Not quite what you’re looking for I’m sure but it’s there.

My favorite part of Creed II is when he’s literally watching the movie Rocky IV on his iPad.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Can someone explain to me why the camera in Avengers: Endgame is always slowly moving to the left or right during dialogue scenes, even when there's no apparent reason for it? Is it meant to make a shot feel more dynamic? Because it was kind of starting to bother me after about half an hour.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Samuel Clemens posted:

Can someone explain to me why the camera in Avengers: Endgame is always slowly moving to the left or right during dialogue scenes, even when there's no apparent reason for it? Is it meant to make a shot feel more dynamic? Because it was kind of starting to bother me after about half an hour.

Yeah the dynamic thing

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Makes it more dynamic without having a billion quick cuts like we're watching a speed metal video or the Academy award winning cinematography of Bohemian Rhapsody. There's always a lot of talking going on in Avengers movies so you have to find a way to keep people visually interested in between fight scenes. Call it a Ken Burns effect, but for motion pictures.

I don't know if there's a technical term for it, but I like the way the camera moves in the new Star Wars trailer. At the beginning when the view switches from Rey to the sand dunes that slowly pans left and picks up speed before the tie fighter screams past.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Because it’s a bad movie op

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Didn't Dark Knight do that a lot too? Except with zooming in slowly rather than panning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

The Maestro posted:

Because it’s a bad movie op

Careful not to burn yourself on that hot take!