Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Nothingtoseehere posted:

He's currently bragging about being 5ish techs ahead... in a game where mil tech only gives you +0.10 morale a level. Like, I get his general point (stack all your pops in one city, ignore the rest of the province) but research is not the only end goal.

It was explicitly a 'play tall' campaign with no expansion because he lets his audience vote on every drat thing and they often seem to choose the dumbest option just to gently caress with him, and for whatever reason he just rolls with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it does something good for the Paradox ecosystem for somebody prominent to have all sorts of theories as to the proper min/max strategies that are exactly wrong. Or at the very least it's funny.

It adds a sort of mysticism to the game, although I suppose not every game wants to be King of Dragon Pass.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Is Florryworry a fascist or can I enjoy him abusing game mechanics for fun and profit

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah man he's a fascist. Your consumption is politics.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I feel like everyone's first mod download will be one to remove that godawful pause/unpause sound. Lord only knows what inspired them to add a loud and annoying sound effect to one of the most common UI actions in the game.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
ManyATrueNerd occasionally plays Paradox games, and he's pretty good at editing out the boring parts. He's got sorta the same happy-excited style as quill18.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dwesa posted:

:same:
I can only watch short guides, sometimes. But I prefer to read a text.

As far as LP's go I watch OG slowbeef's stuff because it's funny, but he hasn't uploaded anything in eight months

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't really get the livestreaming thing where it's just watching someone play a game in realtime where no matter how informative they might be there's going to be a ton of dead air because games generally take a long time to play and it takes less time to talk about doing something than it takes to actually do it.

I generally don't mind livestreaming as long as there's multiple people playing, or at least multiple people participating, so there can be conversation going on at the same time as gameplay, and at that point it's kind of halfway between an actual LP and a podcast. Games with actual commentators can be fun to watch too, I like watching the Link to the Past Randomiser races that Speedgaming runs, which features two streamers racing each other with two separate commentators. Here's a good intro video to that game.

There's also some experiences with video games you can never have twice, and those are the only sorts of games I'm generally willing to watch someone play solo completely unedited. things like watching people solve Return of the Obra Dinn or play their first Soulsborne game, where the enjoyment is watching someone struggle and overcome a challenge I once went through, or play a game like Undertale where its emotional impact is strongest on a first time player.

But to circle back round to this thread, I've never found a paradox stream enjoyable, bar the early pre-release livestreams of Stellaris.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

meatbag posted:

ManyATrueNerd occasionally plays Paradox games, and he's pretty good at editing out the boring parts. He's got sorta the same happy-excited style as quill18.

i rather enjoyed his knossos 2 parter and its the only vid so far i've been able to stand. the only other guy i found bearable suddenly paused his game for what felt like half an hour to thank subscribers so i gave up on that

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I find Arumba decently entertaining. Don't understand all the hate for him. He is certainly good in his chosen games. At the start of his EU4 career he was a bit lost, but now he is clearly an expert.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hryme posted:

I find Arumba decently entertaining. Don't understand all the hate for him. He is certainly good in his chosen games. At the start of his EU4 career he was a bit lost, but now he is clearly an expert.

It's not about how good he is or isn't, it's about how stubbornly he clings to misconceptions of how a game works.

Rose is probably the least objectionable streamer I've seen streaming Imperator. The linked video gives a pretty good feel for the game, I think.

She's also got this horror piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpRwB3WZLLU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hryme posted:

he's good at the moving mans part but he makes loads of problems for himself no matter what game he's playing because he can't be bothered to pay attention

ck2 is the game he's supposedly best at and i once watched him spend a solid half hour paused, raging, looking for a princess he wanted to marry his heir to (she was actually a priestess)

if he didn't get extremely angry at the game for his own misperceptions and laziness i might find him watchable

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Jazerus posted:

if he didn't get extremely angry at the game for his own misperceptions and laziness i might find him watchable

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I watch Quill occasionally but he definitely takes some getting used to. Florryworry is decent too but sometimes it's just so goddamn exhausting watching him because he always feels so loving amped up all the time. Maybe it's just because he has a restless leg or something when he sits for long periods but all I can see is him shaking on facecam half the time. He's also the only one of the major Paradox streamers I can think of that actually has a day job (or rather, a night job; he's a bartender or something).

If I just want to chill out and have a Paradox or Paradox-adjacent stream on the second monitor while I do other stuff, these days I go with Cringer. Dude's really chill, has a bigass beard, and is nowhere close to being a minmaxer. He interacts with chat well, too.

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 20, 2019

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Lol if you don't watch the videos at 2x speed on YouTube or even faster as VODs on twitch

Ain't nobody got loving time for that on 1x

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

I could never understand how it is that watching videos of people playing video games became a thing

Probably a generation thing, I was already too old when that started

Same, but LPs of Paradox games are a special case because they're so involved and obscurantist. I'm not exactly waiting with bated breath for Taureor to drop his next video, but they helped me get a grasp on what I'm supposed to be doing in each theater in HOI4.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

ManyATrueNerd's Knossos 2-parter is what switched me from ambivalent to hype for Imperator.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Mode 7 posted:

ManyATrueNerd's Knossos 2-parter is what switched me from ambivalent to hype for Imperator.

Yeah this guy seemed really annoying at first but those vids won me over by the end. He knows the game and they're appropriately edited.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Mordred Viking is also tolerable. Here's his Imperator playthrough as the Dwarfs Longbeards Langobards.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Does anyone know what the empty borderlands between France and Germany are about?

Aren't there people already living there who would resist a migration?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

To be honest, something's..up with Arumba. If you watch his mp game as Mongolia, it's a lot of fun, they're both engaged and witty, etc. Then you go to one of his SP games and it's like night and day. I think he thinks his audience likes the baffled raging.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure he's going through a divorce or separation from his wife. I'm sure he's feeling little distracted without anyone else there to take his mind off things.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm watching Arumba's Sparta stream at the moment and I have to say I'm a little concerned about the AI. I think he's declared one war so far, the rest of the game has been the AI suiciding into him with war declarations over and over again. It seems like the AI is both hyper aggressive and pretty bad at judging the player's strength and ability to recruit mercenaries.

I don't know if it was triggered by him going over 50 aggressive expansion at one point but he's been below that for ages but the AIs just keep on coming.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Chalks posted:

I'm watching Arumba's Sparta stream at the moment and I have to say I'm a little concerned about the AI. I think he's declared one war so far, the rest of the game has been the AI suiciding into him with war declarations over and over again. It seems like the AI is both hyper aggressive and pretty bad at judging the player's strength and ability to recruit mercenaries.

I don't know if it was triggered by him going over 50 aggressive expansion at one point but he's been below that for ages but the AIs just keep on coming.

I haven't watched this but from what I have seen the AI seems very reminiscent of how EU4 AI was quite a number of patches ago; generally somewhat reluctant to go to war but it loving loves dogpiling people.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Chalks posted:

It seems like the AI is both hyper aggressive and pretty bad at judging the player's strength and ability to recruit mercenaries.

Sounds about as smart as the players in the Dividing the Spoils game, then :v:

Even the tiniest minor seems to be capable of conjuring thirty thousand men out of the ether. I'm kinda feeling like army size should be... a fifth of what they are, across the board.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

fuf posted:

Yeah this guy seemed really annoying at first but those vids won me over by the end. He knows the game and they're appropriately edited.

He actually only barely understands the game in those videos and seemingly has never played EU4 so he doesn't do really basic things like take money during peace deals, but yeah, the editing is nice I guess. I actually enjoy watching unedited gameplay, though. I'll just skip ahead if a part is especially boring. Then again, I've been watching unedited Civilization lets plays by some of the most boring men on earth for years before anyone streamed paradox games, so I think I'm just weird.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RabidWeasel posted:

I haven't watched this but from what I have seen the AI seems very reminiscent of how EU4 AI was quite a number of patches ago; generally somewhat reluctant to go to war but it loving loves dogpiling people.

Yeah this is my exact experience with Paradox AIs, across games. This, microing a dozen 1k stacks to occupy unforted provinces, and the huge unwillingness to make peace deals until years into a conflict are essentially the defining features of playing Paradox games. I'm really hoping the big EU patch does something about it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Making the AI stupidly stubborn about peace is an unfortunate necessity because it's probably not possible to make it smart enough to know when it can't win and cut its losses early without making it easy to trick into white peacing out of wars it could win.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

EU4 has a "length of war" modifier in the AI War Enthusiasm calculation which helps a lot with that. The longer a war goes on for, the more the AI wants to make peace. Imperator lacks this, so you end up with wars dozens of years long that both sides refuse to give up on.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember not liking EU4 forts, but that may have been the cherry on top of all the other things that bugged me about the game, the fact that the combat was just that much more complicated.

Also notable is that so much of the bloat in EU4's development just isn't there in CK2. The most bloating you can see is how 10 used to be the top rung of stats, but now it's just average because there are characters with 30s running around. Also the fact that the map is double the size from what it used to be, but that's not really a negative. They put a decent amount of work into making places outside of Europe worth playing in.

Even the features that they've added mostly grow out of something in the base game. The marriage game is already pretty involved. A beginner might marry somebody solely for their stats, while the expert considers questions like "will this give me a non-aggression pact with the big scary power next door? Would this give me a NAP with the small state I want to absorb soon? Do I get inheritable claims? Can a few strategic stabbings get my spouse to inherit titles?" With bloodlines from the latest DLC, it's just one more thing to keep in mind. "Do I get an inheritable bloodline out of this?".

Likewise, retinues are in many ways just a modified mercenary company/holy order. Hospitals are just another holding, one that's very expensive to build up, and likely will only be fully developed in your capital until you realm is big enough that nobody poses a threat anymore. Trade posts are more involved, but then they're either limited to some very few if you're feudal, or are a core part of the very different gameplay of merchant republics.

And the choices of regions you can play in can also make things much simpler if you want. You don't care about the Silk Road and China? Play in Western Europe, it won't really come up for you. Tired of endless Viking raids? Play in Africa or India. Or at a later start date.

The things that are added for almost everybody usually don't come into play during the busiest part of CK2, when you're at war. Societies provide something to do for the player when at peace. Going carousing with your vassals to improve relations, spying on your rival to get a reason to imprison them, or seducing a vassal's wife to get non-inbred heirs as a Zoroastrian can fill the time while you're waiting for the truce timer to expire.

In regards to stats, 10 wasn't actually the average statline for a good player for some time. Because it was trivial to get half your children to be geniuses with very good traits until they nerfed the inheritance chance and overhauled the education events. Of course, societies and artifacts now have raised the average statline once again.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He actually only barely understands the game in those videos and seemingly has never played EU4 so he doesn't do really basic things like take money during peace deals, but yeah, the editing is nice I guess. I actually enjoy watching unedited gameplay, though. I'll just skip ahead if a part is especially boring. Then again, I've been watching unedited Civilization lets plays by some of the most boring men on earth for years before anyone streamed paradox games, so I think I'm just weird.

I don't even like Civilization but I love watching Marbozir play Civ.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Sounds about as smart as the players in the Dividing the Spoils game, then :v:

Even the tiniest minor seems to be capable of conjuring thirty thousand men out of the ether. I'm kinda feeling like army size should be... a fifth of what they are, across the board.

I would like a mod that reduces the manpower just for ~my immersion~ But at the same time we hear about Rome fielding multiple armies of 50,000 each during the Punic wars so. :shrug:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sindai posted:

Making the AI stupidly stubborn about peace is an unfortunate necessity because it's probably not possible to make it smart enough to know when it can't win and cut its losses early without making it easy to trick into white peacing out of wars it could win.

Yeah I know why they added it, but its routine to find cases where one side refuses to make peace because it has Allie allies on the other side of the map that can't reach the fight, or you're fighting for colonies they have no hope of retaking, and on and on. It's a band-aid that was never turned into a real treatment even years after the fact.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

I would like a mod that reduces the manpower just for ~my immersion~ But at the same time we hear about Rome fielding multiple armies of 50,000 each during the Punic wars so. :shrug:

I don't see why the numbers seem off, the Roman Empire had like 65 million people in it at it's height. Even in the early stages of the republic, rome was famous for having a seemingly endless supply of bodies to throw at their opponents. Initially they weren't really renowned for their tactical or strategic brilliance, but more for their ability to take enormous punishment and keep going.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

For comparison, at the start date for EU4 only one polity on Earth had population greater than that. You know who it is already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_in_1500

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Dramicus posted:

I don't see why the numbers seem off, the Roman Empire had like 65 million people in it at it's height. Even in the early stages of the republic, rome was famous for having a seemingly endless supply of bodies to throw at their opponents. Initially they weren't really renowned for their tactical or strategic brilliance, but more for their ability to take enormous punishment and keep going.

The Roman Empire having 65 million people in the 2nd century CE (which is just a random guess anyway and not a Census) is hardly evidence that the 3rd century BCE Roman Republic could spit out infinite armies of 50,000 men.

That said, the historians who wrote those numbers were not really saying it was literally x amount of people either, they were just saying "lots".

That also said, if Paradox thinks having high numbers of punchingmans will be more fun, that should be the deciding factor, not history.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Beamed posted:

...fun, that should be the deciding factor, not history.

What the gently caress.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
if you read about the roman war with hannibal as implied you get a pretty good sense of their manpower reserves since were able to keep raising armies even after getting 3 or 4 destroyed over a short span of years. those manpower reserves were remarkable because of the broad popular base of the republic. i think it was about ~300,000 men in ~250 BC. the greek successor kingdoms at their height had 100,000 maximum. the individual greek city states much smaller, maybe 20,000. it was rare to see a state running around with more than 50-100k however due to logistical and political capacities.

Zane fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 21, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anyone know how exactly succession between dynasties work in monarchies? I've been watching florryworry, and he seems to be running under the assumption that the end of your dynasty means a game over like in CK2, but I thought the only way to get a game over is either being conquered or losing a civil war. Having succession pass over to a new dynasty is safe, isn't it?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Orv posted:

What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zane posted:

if you read about the roman war with hannibal as implied you get a pretty good sense of their manpower reserves since were able to keep raising armies even after getting 3 or 4 destroyed over a short span of years. those manpower reserves were remarkable because of the broad popular base of the republic. i think it was about ~300,000 men in ~250 BC. the greek successor kingdoms at their height had 100,000 maximum. the individual greek city states much smaller, maybe 20,000. it was rare to see a state running around with more than 50-100k however due to logistical and political capacities.

the republic during the punic wars probably couldn't have raised much more than they did...hannibal pushed them hard