Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Is it funnier if the Giants draft no QB at all, or reach for a lovely QB :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Is it funnier if the Giants draft no QB at all, or reach for a lovely QB :thunk:

What would qualify as a not-funny Giants draft? Haskins at 17?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

fsif posted:

What would qualify as a not-funny Giants draft? Haskins at 17?

If they drafted defense at 6 and 17 and traded their 2nd rounder for Rosen.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
You guys may be mistaking the Giants when it well could be the Broncos or Jags

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Drew Lock has Denver written all over him

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The Jags are locked into Foles for 3 more years. No chance they’re taking a QB.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Matt Miller of Bleacher Report suggested that the Giants are actually interested in Dwayne Haskins at 6 and all the Daniel Jones stuff is a smokescreen.

Makes sense, but I’d feel pretty dumb getting rolled by Gettleman.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Giants not drafting a QB is no big deal. No one in this class looks like a lights out franchise QB and there will be much better QBs next year and then Trevor Lawrence after that. With the plethora of talent in this class I'd probably be disappointed if they reached.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Where do you guys think Hock will go? I'm starting to think the Packers may need to trade up for him if they want to get him but maybe I've been reading too many mock drafts.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

SKULL.GIF posted:

Where do you guys think Hock will go? I'm starting to think the Packers may need to trade up for him if they want to get him but maybe I've been reading too many mock drafts.

top 10

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

SKULL.GIF posted:

somewhere in the 20's. I'm not buying him going in the first half of the first

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I feel OJ Howard got much more top 10 hype than Hoch and he ended up slipping. Top 20 is definitely reasonable.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I’m sure some draft nerd will tell me “they’re totally different prospects!”, but we’ve been burned by too many Brandon Pettigrew’s and Eric Ebron’s to ever make me want to select a tight end in the early part of the first round.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
If he's still on the board, and both Devins are gone, guarantee the Steelers take Hock

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

I feel OJ Howard got much more top 10 hype than Hoch and he ended up slipping. Top 20 is definitely reasonable.

Hockenson is getting huge hype he went from top 50 to top 25. He's seen as an instant starter and the next Gronk.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Maybe I’m wrong but I feel like people are talking about Hock like he’s a generational TE prospect. I’d go as far as say I’d be shocked if he doesn’t go top 10.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

People are hyping him up as a less injury prone Gronk clone, yeah. Obviously that’d be worth a top 5 pick if accurate.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
In my opinion Hockenson looks like a guy you can plan deep routes around which is what made Gronk so deadly. Send him on wheels, sluggos, let him work seams past 10 yards. It's hard to find TEs like that who can also do all the short routes and blocking.

He's not Gronkowski though, that guy was a tank. Hockenson will do his damage bodying people on routes but he won't be dragging people or pancaking LBs like Gronkowski.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I was thinking about what was the highest a TE has ever been taken in the draft. Best I could find was Vernon Davis @ #6. Was Vernon Davis worth the #6 pick? Would this TE be as good as Vernon Davis? (who admittedly got good after a little while)

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

At least in the last 20 years it’s only been Vernon Davis and Kellen Winslow. Ebron was 10.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Davis was absolutely worth a top 10 pick at the time

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

People are hyping him up as a less injury prone Gronk clone, yeah. Obviously that’d be worth a top 5 pick if accurate.

I just would never trust anyone who comps someone to a freak HoFer. Like yeah, there's been guys with Gronk's size and athleticism, but none who also had hands as soft as his. It's like comparing any pass rusher ever to Aaron Donald. Yeah, there's athletic freaks, but none who also knew how to annihilate blockers like he does.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

People are acting like Hockerson had Fants combine and it's nuts. Hell there was this much hype around Howard to and it honestly feels like draftniks just have a massive hard on for the guy instead of actual NFL teams being that interested.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/uSTADIUM/status/1119668133336420352

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Kalli posted:

I just would never trust anyone who comps someone to a freak HoFer. Like yeah, there's been guys with Gronk's size and athleticism, but none who also had hands as soft as his. It's like comparing any pass rusher ever to Aaron Donald. Yeah, there's athletic freaks, but none who also knew how to annihilate blockers like he does.
I remember there were like 3+ different guys on the Rams when they had Faulk where broadcasters would repeatedly say they were going to be the next Faulk but even better.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

For me the big draw for Hockenson is his blocking, not his catching. That he can catch is a massive bonus and makes the pick worthwhile. If he was a primary pass catcher like Fant then I'd be much less interested.

The Packers offense is missing that one piece, a guy who can do everything and enables multiple packages to work without giving away the gameplan by being on the field. The team's tried to find that player in free agency the past few seasons and it hasn't worked out.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

McGinns my favorite draftnik because he actually has NFL connections so this is one hell of a list. I had no idea Simmons was regarded so highly.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

People are acting like Hockerson had Fants combine and it's nuts. Hell there was this much hype around Howard to and it honestly feels like draftniks just have a massive hard on for the guy instead of actual NFL teams being that interested.

The combine has no correlation to on the field success. Making a case for a player around his combine numbers is worse than having a 'hard on' for the guy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Who's your #1 pick based on how hard he makes you?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Jason Statham, always

Edit:. Wrong thread

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Mega64 posted:

Jason Mamoa can wreck my buttle

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mega64 posted:

DK 8 Pack Metcalf

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Bob McGinn's profile on Dwayne Haskins had some pretty loving wild comments from scouts:

quote:

2. DWAYNE HASKINS, Ohio State (6-3 ½, 229, 5.02, 1): Rewrote the Big Ten record book in only season as a starter with 4,831 yards and 50 TD passes. “He threw 50 touchdown passes and they run the ball there,” one scout said. “He is a really good pocket passer that can also roll out and throw on the move. He’s not a runner. Being a black guy people think he’s going to be an athlete-runner. He’s not, but he has good feet. He’s far from a statue. The guy can throw the ball. Holy hell. Big-time arm. Accurate. He’s just not ready to be an NFL starter.” Turns 22 a week after the draft. Played eight games off the bench in 2017, igniting a comeback victory at Michigan in relief of injured J.T. Barrett, and started 14 games in ’18. Third-year sophomore bypassed his final two seasons. “He reminded me of Steve McNair (6-1 1/2, 225), and it wasn’t because McNair was black,” another scout said. “He didn’t have great speed, either, but he knew how to move around in the pocket. Haskins is a pocket guy. He’s exactly what you want in the National Football League. Some day, (Patrick) Mahomes is going to get hurt. Deshaun Watson is always hurt. RGIII got hurt. This guy is special.” Passer rating of 123.2 in 2018. “If he’s at his best he’s a bottom-15 QB in the NFL,” a third scout said. “Franchise quarterbacks make everybody better. He’s not that guy. He needs to be on a good team like he had at Ohio State. If he has no talent around him you’re talking about a 2-14, 3-13 season. He is not dynamic enough to bring them out of that. He gets a little long and a little high on his throws at times, the deep corners. I worry a little bit about his weight. Obviously, he’s probably in the best shape he’ll ever be in now.” Compounded his bad 40 at the combine by electing not to try again at his pro day. “His stats kind of lie,” said a fourth scout. “When he’s working within the rhythm of that offense he can pick people apart. Makes it easy for him. When he gets pressured and things get in his face he’s not accurate and sprays the ball. He just can’t move his body around well enough in the pocket because he’s slow-footed. That will continue in the NFL. His movements remind me of Jameis Winston. He was an awkward athlete. He sprayed the ball over when he got pressured. Or Byron Leftwich. I just don’t see him as a constant playoff threat, the kind of quarterback you will have to worry about.” Should become the Buckeyes’ first QB taken in the first round since Art Schlichter went No. 4 in 1982. “When you see Dwayne have to throw from an NFL-type pocket, a muddled pocket, he is frantic,” said a fifth scout. “The accuracy changes. When it’s clean, yeah, he’s got a whip. Problem is when there’s inversions from different points. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, they’re exceptional working the pocket. I don’t see that with him. Can he develop it? I don’t know.” From Potomac, Md. Wonderlic of 25. Added a sixth scout: “No quarterback likes to get hit but I really don’t think he likes to get hit. That’s the biggest thing with Dwayne. He rushes the ball out of his hand a lot. Other guys are willing to hold that ball to the last (second) to let that route clear open. He didn’t show the willingness to do that. You can go almost entire games without seeing Dwayne Haskins on the ground.”

A good 60% of NFL scouts probably maintain a list of black players who are "thugs" and "one of the good ones" and broadly should not be allowed near any sort of reporter or really more than two or three people gathered in a place at a time.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 22, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's unfortunate but yes many scouts are lazy/racist and compare everyone to someone who is the same skin color. Look at any white receiver. I'm also under the opinion that the scouting department on most teams are the biggest hives of good ol boys/nepotism hires. I have this opinion because I know a kid who is in the Jets analytics department that can barely do math but his dad is friends with a higher up in that organization.

I think the most to take out of this is to realize that player comparisons are almost as dumb as mock drafts.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Some scout posted:

He’s not a runner. Being a black guy people think he’s going to be an athlete-runner.

Doltos posted:

It's unfortunate but yes many scouts are lazy/racist and compare everyone to someone who is the same skin color.

It was a long time ago but Byron Leftwich was my favorite example of this. The man moved like a piece of construction equipment and so many people who should have known better called him mobile. Like, you didn't have to be a draftnik to realize he ran like he was knee deep in mud.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

It was a long time ago but Byron Leftwich was my favorite example of this. The man moved like a piece of construction equipment and so many people who should have known better called him mobile. Like, you didn't have to be a draftnik to realize he ran like he was knee deep in mud.

like, the only thing anyone knew about leftwich going into the draft was about him being literally carried to the line of scrimmage between plays

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grittybeard posted:

I feel like there's terrible analysis for every player in the draft out there on the internet, analysis that can only be the product of someone who blatantly never watched the prospect play more than a few snaps or only watched highlight film, or no film at all. It's just more blatant with black QBs being called mobile or inaccurate or white position players being called sneaky athletic.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

is there any kind of repository for old scouting reports, i wanna read ones about like, Don Beebe and poo poo

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mccloughan was the one who brought up Haskins being Byron Leftwich and he’s pretty well respected minus the unchecked alcoholism.

quote:

He watched each of the top QB prospects over the last several months and came to a conclusion: Murray is the best of the bunch by a mile. Better than former Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins, who McCloughan describes as "Byron Leftwich to a 'T'." Better than Missouri's Drew Lock, West Virginia's Will Grier and Duke's Daniel Jones, too. However, stacked up against last year's QB class, Murray would rank fifth, McCloughan says, behind Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen, but before Lamar Jackson.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
So trade for Rosen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Amy Pole Her posted:

So trade for Rosen

the giants have a quarterback who's won 2 super bowls, why would you need a different one.