Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should have won All-Stars?
This poll is closed.
Monet X Change 17 12.41%
Trinity the Tuck 36 26.28%
club96 84 61.31%
Total: 137 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

false alarm she's just the typical 'talk to one of the gueat judges briefly at the end' segment. threw me off cause Polly usually has two guests

ew it's just eureka. i might just uhh skip this week's lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

zelah posted:

It stopped being cute like 7 seasons ago to show up being unprepared to sew or unprepared for snatch game, but here we are.

Also flipping your wig in a lip sync, not listening to the drat judges in the walkthrough, and air guitar. And yet.

I also wasn't particularly impressed by the lip sync in terms of like... I want to see a lip sync not a circus performance? But I was loving living for the judge's reactions. Ru was giving me major :vince: vibes. Ru's Pangina-esque reaction to Brooklyn's reveal was kind of amazing, too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The more I think about the lip sync, the more I realize what bothered me the most was the number of times Brooke was obviously gearing up to do something sickening, and they'd cut to the judges reaction of it instead of letting us see it, or cut awkwardly to something Yvie is doing. Like at one point Brooke is backing her rear end up the entire runway and you know something sick is about to happen, then we just don't see it lmao. It happened w/ Yvie too where I thought I was going to see something cool, and then didn't. Maybe the gymnastics routine at the end woulda been more exciting for me if I saw the best bits that Ru and company were losing their poo poo over lmfao.

Edits for the lipsyncs have always been weird as gently caress, since they never show us the full performance and always edit together poo poo from all over the place-- sometimes from pretty long songs too lmao-- but idk they usually don't deadass not show something big about to happen unless they somehow had zero coverage for it.

e: like I enjoyed the lip sync but i also heard morgan mcmichaels in the back of my head saying it's a lip syncing competition, it's not a gymnastics competition

anyway I always love an excuse to post the Two of Hearts lip sync bc Sonique owns bones and I'm always down to watch Morgan voguing,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjnpExaDnyg

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 20, 2019

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

so what's the tea with Silky being a registered republican? to me this seems like just an awful thing to be if you're part of literally any community except Massive White Billionaires but it sort of got glossed over.

that said, i'm aussie so dont really know how membership to a political party in the US works.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

jit bull transpile posted:

God I just need them to stop giving silky the Latrice pass on repetitive looks

Yeah I'm a bit irritated that Vanjie (quite rightly) is getting called on that but Silky isn't.

Anyway, that LSFYL was absolutely great, and I'm glad the both of them stayed. Really wish Nina had won, though.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

alf_pogs posted:

so what's the tea with Silky being a registered republican? to me this seems like just an awful thing to be if you're part of literally any community except Massive White Billionaires but it sort of got glossed over.

that said, i'm aussie so dont really know how membership to a political party in the US works.

In America, registering as one party or another does not necessarily mean you will vote one way or another. All it does is for census purposes, and people trying to guess which way you might vote, plus you will get advertising or whatever, and it matters if you try to pursue a career in politics, but for the average joe it matters almost nothing which way you register.

Silky registered as a republican in a a cracked up story about fighting gerrymandering https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering will explain it better than I can.

The problem is, is that registering as a single republican does nothing to combat that.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Silky is not a Republican, but she's registered as one for very dumb nonsensical reasons

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

spite house posted:

She was in my carpool when I was a sophomore in high school and was so unutterably cool, like the late-nineties version of what every hipster girl on the planet aspires to today, that I don't think I said a word to her for the whole year out of sheer terror.

Later on, when she was coming up as an actress and I was making a halfassed stab at it, we were adjudged to be a similar "type" so we were sent out for all the same commercial auditions and got to talking and I learned that she is actually very genuinely cool and nice and I felt like an rear end in a top hat for having been afraid of her in carpool. And I ran into her at Jinkx and Dela's Christmas show last year and she is still very cool and nice! So there's that.

I haven't watched this episode yet and I'm dreading it, but just wanted to shout out the second person I went to high school with who's been mentioned in this thread, after Dominique from Stolen Babies.

A few months ago I saw her at Casita del Campo in Silver Lake while she was on what looked like maybe not a first date, but a second or third date. She was just so non-chalantly cool sitting there eating her Tex-Mex. She was literally at the table next to us, so I tried to point her out to them, but they had absolutely no clue who she is, and had never seen anything that she's been in.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
I think that was the first time Ru cut to the chase and just said, "Shantay you both stay."

N I N A W A S B U R G L E D. I mean yeah Silky was riffing and playing off everyone well, but to me, it was just more of Silky Running Her Mouth And Being Loud As gently caress that we've been getting every episode. However, I am loving the shady edits of her looking resentful every time someone else gets praise, or smug if someone does poorly. Her dismissing Yvie's apology + admiration for the snatch game wasn't a good look at all. Unless there is some sort of miraculous self-discovery & change of heart/attitude, she does not belong in the top with that immature attitude (queue the untucked tantrum when Silky was safe). Silky is not a people's queen.

Vintersorg posted:

E: Ariel posted her Snatch game and it would have been sick.

Oh man. Oh, Ariel... I would have loved this.

edit. On second thought, she nailed the look, but what the gently caress is that accent (8:16)? No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVa0IY31Kk

resting mitch face fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 20, 2019

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

alf_pogs posted:

so what's the tea with Silky being a registered republican?

As noted it doesn't really matter who you're registered as, since you still vote for whoever. In places where Republicans are in charge, they have a habit of looking at large concentrations of registered Democrats and then gerrymandering the area so that those concentrated Dem voters don't get to vote in the same district or whatever. Silky's thought process is that if a bunch if Democrat voters all register as Republican, then the Republicans can't tell where the concentrations of Dems are, so it's harder for them to figure out how to gerrymander areas around that.

It's stupid though because I can't imagine there are enough people doing this thing Silky is doing for it to make a difference. But what do I know I'm :canada:

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

A few months ago I saw her at Casita del Campo in Silver Lake
Total total side note, but are you an Eastsider? I'm in East Hollywood but one of my best friends lives in the Swish Alps right across Hyperion from CdC and we can usually be found rotating between there, Barbrix and El Condor hoovering up happy hour specials. Small ol' world.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Woke up and I'm still pissed that Akeria, a PoC drag queen, thinks it's ridiculous and has to be fake that someone might have trouble coming out as gay or a drag queen to their immigrant family

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

The Berzerker posted:

As noted it doesn't really matter who you're registered as, since you still vote for whoever. In places where Republicans are in charge, they have a habit of looking at large concentrations of registered Democrats and then gerrymandering the area so that those concentrated Dem voters don't get to vote in the same district or whatever. Silky's thought process is that if a bunch if Democrat voters all register as Republican, then the Republicans can't tell where the concentrations of Dems are, so it's harder for them to figure out how to gerrymander areas around that.

It's stupid though because I can't imagine there are enough people doing this thing Silky is doing for it to make a difference. But what do I know I'm :canada:

Also they’re likely to do it more along racial demographic lines than simple party registration I imagine

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

warez posted:

Also they’re likely to do it more along racial demographic lines than simple party registration I imagine

Depends. It's legal to discriminate based on party affiliation, so you can legally just say "no we want to put all the Democrats in this district" but not necessarily "we want all the black people in this district"

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Another +1 to Nina getting robbed. Like others have said, Silky's Snatch Game was just . . . Silky, and I don't think the judges literally had a comment about her runway one way or the other. Predictable and boring.

(Does the way that Silky ends her makeup at the jawline bother anybody else? It always gives me the impression of a mask instead of a fully realized look.)

It's amazing how consistently a certain type of charisma works on Ru. I'm sure Silky is more compelling in person, but it doesn't translate through the show.

Barking Mad
Sep 2, 2011

Eej posted:

Woke up and I'm still pissed that Akeria, a PoC drag queen, thinks it's ridiculous and has to be fake that someone might have trouble coming out as gay or a drag queen to their immigrant family

I'm with you. I've really soured on her just nodding at Plastique during Untucked, pretending that she wasn't the cause of the drama.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Eej posted:

TBF wasn't she part of the "explain Islam :thunk:" crew, with Mercedes Iman Diamond? I think the concept of the immigrant experience is so out of her realm she'd sooner interpret the reaction as fiction than a learned response/coping mechanism?

I think it's that thing I see all the time where someone's got a PhD in electrical engineering but can't figure out how to use a TV remote; being smart/aware in one area doesn't always translate everywhere.

That's my benefit-of-the-doubt take. The "that bitch" cynic take would be "she wants camera time, and her mouth writes cheques her jaw can't cash", but I don't hate her or think she's a bad person, just clueless/ignorant about some things.

AveMachina fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 21, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah she was the one who asked if Muslim church was called "Mausoleum". Sure she might be a southern Christian black queen and therefore exposed to literally nothing but when faced with the unknown she has no tact or manners which is what makes her ignorant.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

spite house posted:

Total total side note, but are you an Eastsider? I'm in East Hollywood but one of my best friends lives in the Swish Alps right across Hyperion from CdC and we can usually be found rotating between there, Barbrix and El Condor hoovering up happy hour specials. Small ol' world.

Nah, I was just there visiting friends. I'm way far east, in Washington, DC.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The Berzerker posted:

As noted it doesn't really matter who you're registered as, since you still vote for whoever.

In general elections, yes, but 14 states have closed primaries, meaning you have to be a member of a party to vote in its primary. I don't think Silky is in or from any of those states, though, so :lol:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

resting mitch face posted:

I think that was the first time Ru cut to the chase and just said, "Shantay you both stay."

N I N A W A S B U R G L E D. I mean yeah Silky was riffing and playing off everyone well, but to me, it was just more of Silky Running Her Mouth And Being Loud As gently caress that we've been getting every episode. However, I am loving the shady edits of her looking resentful every time someone else gets praise, or smug if someone does poorly. Her dismissing Yvie's apology + admiration for the snatch game wasn't a good look at all. Unless there is some sort of miraculous self-discovery & change of heart/attitude, she does not belong in the top with that immature attitude (queue the untucked tantrum when Silky was safe). Silky is not a people's queen.
To be fair Yvie's half-apology sounded fake as gently caress and Silky didn't have the benefit of seeing the confessional where Yvie was all "no I really did feel bad".

I loved Nina but she didn't play off the other characters that we saw whereas Silky went right to bantering with Plastique's character (and actually got a laugh out of me). Ru seems to put a lot of weight on that every season.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Snatch game isn't just about how well you can answer questions funny, it's about how well you can stay in character and throw shade at the other characters. Season 4 was so terrible because all the interaction was about one-upping each other, and season 6 was so good because they were more interested in telling actual jokes with the others. (Bianca and Dela were golden for their interactions)
And as much as I dislike Silky, she was good with those interactions. Yeah she just played herself but that's a separate problem. Nina played to Ru as opposed to with the others. Plastique surprised honestly, especially with how bad her ghetto act was in the werkroom

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Just a note, but Silky doesn't actually have a doctorate. She said she had a master's and was considering applying for a PhD program. Not like it matters, anyway.

I skipped untucked this week after all the screaming last week, plus I'm guessing Silky will be unbearably smug in it so I'm just leaving that one, should I watch?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You’re only getting half the story, duh.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

A God drat Ghost posted:

Just a note, but Silky doesn't actually have a doctorate. She said she had a master's and was considering applying for a PhD program. Not like it matters, anyway.

I skipped untucked this week after all the screaming last week, plus I'm guessing Silky will be unbearably smug in it so I'm just leaving that one, should I watch?

as someone who completed a PhD this has actually kind of pissed me off

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, my friend who is currently ABD was annoyed by that, which I get. I think Ru just likes calling her Dr. Ganache.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pellisworth posted:

as someone who has a JD but can't call themselves a doctor, this has actually kind of pissed me off

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Pellisworth posted:

It's a joke. Probably at Silky's expense, because Silky is maybe not that smart (her master's is in ~leadership~ or some such bullshit and from an online college) and calling her Dr Ganache is funny to Ru.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jr. posted:

TBF wasn't she part of the "explain Islam :thunk:" crew, with Mercedes Iman Diamond? I think the concept of the immigrant experience is so out of her realm she'd sooner interpret the reaction as fiction than a learned response/coping mechanism?

I think it's that thing I see all the time where someone's got a PhD in electrical engineering but can't figure out how to use a TV remote; being smart/aware in one area doesn't always translate everywhere.

That's my benefit-of-the-doubt take. The "that bitch" cynic take would be "she wants camera time, and her mouth writes cheques her jaw can't cash", but I don't hate her or think she's a bad person, just clueless/ignorant about some things.

Yeah that part bothered me

Kumail Nanjiani has an American citizenship, oscar nominated, is pretty well established in Hollywood, and even he tells other comedians "hey can you not joke about Islam in public with me" because that's just how that stuff can be. He actually went from openly saying he was Atheist to asking others not to say that when he got a bit more fame and there are lots of cases where he will say "I'm not going to talk about this" on stage in front of an audience when asked.

Mercedes doesn't wanna talk about being Muslim because a pretty sizable portion of the Muslim community will reject her for being a drag queen, and the non-Muslim community will judge her for being Muslim. It's a lose lose situation for a lot of Muslims in the west, I know people say "oh it's not racist I just dislike the religion" but surprise, someone with a Muslim name who is atheist will still get a lot of the same biases thrown their way

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

It's a joke. Probably at Silky's expense, because Silky is maybe not that smart (her master's is in ~leadership~ or some such bullshit and from an online college) and calling her Dr Ganache is funny to Ru.

Silky got her Master's from Indiana Wesleyan University, which doesn't seem like a complete diploma mill but is one of those hardcore evangelical colleges like Liberty. The kind of college that banned homosexual behavior until 2018, and still prohibits "incongruent gender presentation". Odd alma mater for a gay man who now works as a professional drag queen but whatever.

I think Silky comes from a very Christian background, and made up a 12th dimensional chess reason for being a registered Republican because its such a faux pas in her new social circle.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

goodog posted:

Silky got her Master's from Indiana Wesleyan University, which doesn't seem like a complete diploma mill but is one of those hardcore evangelical colleges like Liberty. The kind of college that banned homosexual behavior until 2018, and still prohibits "incongruent gender presentation". Odd alma mater for a gay man who now works as a professional drag queen but whatever.

I think Silky comes from a very Christian background, and made up a 12th dimensional chess reason for being a registered Republican because its such a faux pas in her new social circle.

IWU is basically a Midwest University of Phoenix.

Their actual campus is the Christian shithole you’ve described but the satellite campuses are just diploma mills.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 22, 2019

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Remember when Scarlet had the most enlightened take on Mercedes opening up about her religion? "It's a terrifying time to be any kind of different right now in America, and I feel like maybe we let you down by not making you feel comfortable enough to do that." I know they need to pump the breaks on AS seasons, but, ugh, I need more Scarlet.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Just gonna echo the "Silky played Silky and isn't getting read on her incredibly samey runways" notion.
But then, they conveniently ignored Latrice's samey runways.
And they conveniently ignored Eureka's samey runways...

:thunk:

I have long since been annoyed by the big girl "evening gowns and bodysuits" pass.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Poulpe posted:

Just gonna echo the "Silky played Silky and isn't getting read on her incredibly samey runways" notion.
But then, they conveniently ignored Latrice's samey runways.
And they conveniently ignored Eureka's samey runways...

:thunk:

I have long since been annoyed by the big girl "evening gowns and bodysuits" pass.

Eureka is a weird example, considering she's one of the only big girls to do something more than just wear gowns. I know she did a lot of body suits but imo her runways were one of the best things about her.

Anyway Bianca played Bianca and wore the same dress every week so :shrug:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

esperterra posted:

Eureka is a weird example, considering she's one of the only big girls to do something more than just wear gowns. I know she did a lot of body suits but imo her runways were one of the best things about her.

Anyway Bianca played Bianca and wore the same dress every week so :shrug:

This is totally fair!
At least Bianca was likable though, christ.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Poulpe posted:

tea

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Poulpe posted:

This is totally fair!

Well, she managed to play likable on TV at any rate

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

jit bull transpile posted:

Well, she managed to play likable on TV at any rate

also tea

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think Bianca is great, but she definitely gets a pass for having been on the last season where social media wasn't such a huge opinion swaying thing for the fanbase yet. It's like she has legacy immunity and even when she's being a controversial douche online she doesn't get as much flak as girls from 7 onward do.

e: it also helps that she's somehow?? one of the most mainstream successes out of all of the Ru girls despite only having 3 jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
At least Silky hasn't done the gunt Swiffer...

...yet.

Also not at all surprised to learn she's a republican. It explains so much.