Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

PurpleXVI posted:

The only government painted as correct and worthy of praise is ruled by an autocratic strongman who's never wrong, with the exception of one book where he's wrong for all of five minutes. The only thing that's presented as an alternative is a monarch with a Divine Right To Rule that everyone recognizes just by gazing upon his superior being. Any time democracy or republicanism get brought up, they're dismissed with mockery along the lines of "lol, but even THIS GUY can see that letting the idiots vote would ruin the whole thing" or "the peasants play along while wisely recognizing that what truly functions is a monarchy. This aspiring Republican is truly a silly man."

Basically what Katt said.

It's easy to dismiss in the early books when he's just writing satire of other settings, but once he starts having pretensions of writing some sort of social commentary the fact that it just intensifies feels like it's clear he's some sort of autocrat-fellating unironic monarchist.

So I'm clear, your theory is the book series that portrays several evil autocratic dictators and precisely one benign one is flatly pro-autocratic dictatorship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

Also, isn't Passover supposed to be... A very sombre occasion?

No that’s Yom Kippur. People enjoy Passover for some reason even though matzo is loving terrible.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'd be pretty jazzed about Gabriel not trashing my poo poo, considering I'm a firstborn son

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Samovar posted:

Also, isn't Passover supposed to be... A very sombre occasion?

Nope, that is Yom Kippur, as well as a few other fasts that are not as well-known outside the religion.

Henchman of Santa posted:

No that’s Yom Kippur. People enjoy Passover for some reason even though matzo is loving terrible.

Life-hack: lay a few matzos down, pour a little bit of water on them. Then eat them when they soften up. :yum:

But if you think matzot themselves are bad, try to spend Chol Hamo'ed in Israel. It's a bit better now than when I was growing up, depending on where you are, but a lot of foods have Kosher for Passover replacements that are subpar.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nope, that is Yom Kippur, as well as a few other fasts that are not as well-known outside the religion.

Life-hack: lay a few matzos down, pour a little bit of water on them. Then eat them when they soften up. :yum:

But if you think matzot themselves are bad, try to spend Chol Hamo'ed in Israel. It's a bit better now than when I was growing up, depending on where you are, but a lot of foods have Kosher for Passover replacements that are subpar.

The one Passover lifehack I’ve learned from observant friends is that you can get original recipe Coke around the holiday because it’s kosher.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Tu B'Shevat is the most somber of affairs.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I've actually been making my way through the bible and all those Christmas specials about Moses often fail to mention the part where he roams through the land like Genghis Khan and burns cities and claim all the virgin women as god rains fire from the skies on his enemies.

Also the children of Israel experience miracles of god on a daily basis. Like 20.000 people stray from god and then instantly burst into flames and get swallowed by the ground. Yet every time Moses or Aaron's son turns his back the Children of Israel are off worshipping another god or making the wrong kind of altar or some other heretic crap and they get some sort of super plague and just melt on the spot and then 5 minutes later the survivors are off blaspheming again.

It also has like a hundred loving pages on how to barbecue a ram/cow/sheep to honour god and then some wine and bread with oil and honey it's all just really bad if you're on s strict diet like me.

Katt has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Apr 20, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The one Passover lifehack I’ve learned from observant friends is that you can get original recipe Coke around the holiday because it’s kosher.

What's the distinction?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Tu B'Shevat is the most somber of affairs.

The trees must be placated or they will come to destroy us.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What's the distinction?

The trees must be placated or they will come to destroy us.

I believe it’s just real sugar instead of HFCS but I’m unfamiliar with kosher rules. I’m sure whatever you have in Israel is the same year round.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I believe it’s just real sugar instead of HFCS but I’m unfamiliar with kosher rules. I’m sure whatever you have in Israel is the same year round.

Well, I'm not big on coke anyway, not sure I'm going to bother checking here then again when I'm back in the US. :shrug:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Katt posted:

I've actually been making my way through the bible and all those Christmas specials about Moses often fail to mention the part where he roams through the land like Genghis Khan and burns cities and claim all the virgin women as god rains fire from the skies on his enemies.

Also the children of Israel experience miracles of god on a daily basis. Like 20.000 people stray from god and then instantly burst into flames and get swallowed by the ground. Yet every time Moses or Aaron's son turns his back the Children of Israel are off worshipping another god or making the wrong kind of altar or some other heretic crap and they get some sort of super plague and just melt on the spot and then 5 minutes later the survivors are off blaspheming again.

It also has like a hundred loving pages on how to barbecue a ram/cow/sheep to honour god and then some wine and bread with oil and honey it's all just really bad if you're on s strict diet like me.

AKA having a perfectly normal one.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Katt posted:

Have you gotten to Judges yet? There’s some badass poo poo in there.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I am very, very sure that it is not “original recipe” Coke because the DEA really hates it when multinational corporations start slinging cocaine.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Have you gotten to Judges yet? There’s some badass poo poo in there.

I'm at the part where the children of Israel get saved by a hero and then they blaspheme and god sentences them to enslavement by some some villain and then another hero arises and saves them and then they blaspheme again and god sentences them to yet another enslavement. This happens like 8 times.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

How did anti-Semitism become so prevalent in Christian Europe when the god in the bible smites the poo poo out of everyone who messes with the jews?

If you take the bible at face value then you would have to give the jews a pretty wide berth if you knew what was good for you.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Katt posted:

How did anti-Semitism become so prevalent in Christian Europe when the god in the bible smites the poo poo out of everyone who messes with the jews?

If you take the bible at face value then you would have to give the jews a pretty wide berth if you knew what was good for you.

I have some bad news for you regarding the last sixteen hundred or so years…

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Katt posted:

I think the idea is God used to do that until Jesus came along, and then he dropped the Jews for the new hotness.

(Or, friendship ended with Jews. Now Christians are my best friend.)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I liked how Jesus was like "PAY YOUR loving TAXES AND STOP HOARDING WEALTH" and beat the gently caress out of a ton of capitalists, so the resulting church embraced capitalism, hoarded wealth, and became tax exempt

Good job you loving shitheads cool religion

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

I am very, very sure that it is not “original recipe” Coke because the DEA really hates it when multinational corporations start slinging cocaine.

the coca cola company has special permission to import coca leaves

it's already neutered, coke hasn't had cocaine in it since the 1920s and before then had barely any as the patent medicine fad of cocaine infused drinks like cocaine wine was wearing off in the lat 19th century

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

luxury handset posted:

the coca cola company has special permission to import coca leaves

it's already neutered, coke hasn't had cocaine in it since the 1920s and before then had barely any as the patent medicine fad of cocaine infused drinks like cocaine wine was wearing off in the lat 19th century

yes great but "original recipe" means "original from the 1880s" in this context which did in fact have coke in it and that was the point if the joke you're quoting but thanks for the history lesson

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I thought it was just waste product coca leaves after all the good stuff was wrung out of them.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Katt posted:

I thought it was just waste product coca leaves after all the good stuff was wrung out of them.

NOW, yes. in the 1890s its ORIGINAL RECIPE contained cocaine bc at that time they just used the leaves as is, not the processed product later developed

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

InediblePenguin posted:

NOW, yes. in the 1890s its ORIGINAL RECIPE contained cocaine bc at that time they just used the leaves as is, not the processed product later developed

the original didn't except in trace amounts, as i said they used coca extract because cocaine was being seen as a problem drug instead of an energy booster by 1885. coca was still seen as having quack medicinal properties, enough to sell sugar water, even if you didn't want that nasty addictive cocaine

the real heyday of "cocaine in everything" was the 1870s and after that it was increasingly used for just actual 'medicinal' things and not like, cocaine chocolate or whatever

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

It’s the drinking.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/girrl_friday/status/1119366718135185408?s=19

I'm trying to think of a more galaxy brain take than "GLOBAL WARMING IS A HOAX CAUSED BY FEMINISTS HAVING SEX" but I'm not creative enough

Danaru has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Apr 20, 2019

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

luxury handset posted:

the original didn't except in trace amounts, as i said they used coca extract because cocaine was being seen as a problem drug instead of an energy booster by 1885. coca was still seen as having quack medicinal properties, enough to sell sugar water, even if you didn't want that nasty addictive cocaine

the real heyday of "cocaine in everything" was the 1870s and after that it was increasingly used for just actual 'medicinal' things and not like, cocaine chocolate or whatever

they only switched to using spent leaves in 1904 though, all the sources im finding are definitively stating that pre-1904 formulations contained cocaine (and also were marketed as medical tonics)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like matzo a lot :(

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Kai Tave posted:

This is the wrongest thing anyone has every said since that academic dissertation on King of the Hill that complained about how the show never mentioned what Hank Hill's job is.

How about the essay that complained that Pearl used Garnet as a "sexual comfort toy"?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Katt posted:

LOL if you think Christians in times of less widespread literacy read the Bible more than we do today when everyone can read and cheap Bibles are all over.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Puppy Time posted:

LOL if you think Christians in times of less widespread literacy read the Bible more than we do today when everyone can read and cheap Bibles are all over.
Bibles tended to only be in Latin back then too so only educated clergy, scholars, and aristocrats and the like could read them, translating them into the vernacular languages didn't happen until the Early Modern Period starting with the wide usage of the printing press.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 17:34 on Apr 20, 2019

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
instead of anxiety i just choke on cheeseberders and die

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"I have anxiety and I lead a horrifyingly unhealthy lifestyle to the point that my incredible obesity is the only joke i use in all of my videos that aren't about my late stage brain worms!

You could be just like me!"

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I honestly can't tell if that dipshit Boogie is being sarcastic or is actually saying "Yeah I have mental health problems that I should seek help for, but instead I eat and feel sad later. You are right, this is not a real thing!"

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Keemstar is a genuinely terrible person.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I honestly can't tell if that dipshit Boogie is being sarcastic or is actually saying "Yeah I have mental health problems that I should seek help for, but instead I eat and feel sad later. You are right, this is not a real thing!"

Always bet on him saying the stupidest poo poo imaginable.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jippa posted:

Keemstar is a genuinely terrible person.

So is Boogie. They deserve each other.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Boogie is the same guy who said Gays shouldn't have asked for gay marriage so quickly and should have let the homophobes get used to them, then homophobes wouldn't be forced to kill gay/trans people so much.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

He was also involved in some sort of controversy about the holocaust but I forgot which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Katt posted:

He was also involved in some sort of controversy about the holocaust but I forgot which.