Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Leading off with the obvious lies of going to a pub and having a friend is a pretty bad way to convince anyone of his BS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Wouldn't that require him to leave his cozy abode to be true?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The retweets tells a whole story of their own when you consider that this story is so sad that even real living right wingers struggle to back in.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

enigmahfc posted:

I'm pretty sure no one here is getting mad at kids enjoying movies. It's cool to see a kid enjoy and get involved in a movie. It is not cool to have a kid cry, loudly talk, get up and wander around, or kick chairs.

This should be obvious, but well....

No one is saying don't bring kids to Endgame because it is a super serious movie. Just that no one wants to pay $15 a ticket to have a lovely parent having their screaming kid sit next to them.

People in this thread probably not but you know there are people on Reddit already furious that a child would dare utter sounds during the event that is Avengers Endgame

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/Lance210/status/1119329935640944640

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

High level leftists (Marxists and up) have the ability to see the souls of their enemies. Poor kid is probably vomiting right now from trying to be near this man for any amount of time. (Trotskyites can suck out their own souls to make pamphlets.)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Len posted:

Always bring children to movies because hearing them flip out with glee over their favorite super hero punching a bad guy is :unsmith:
Conversly, spoilers for Into the Spiderverse, hearing all the kids in the theater start crying when the main universe's Spider-Man died was hilarious.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

T-man posted:

High level leftists (Marxists and up) have the ability to see the souls of their enemies. Poor kid is probably vomiting right now from trying to be near this man for any amount of time. (Trotskyites can suck out their own souls to make pamphlets.)

It really comes into its own when you invest enough points so that it also shows you their stats.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Side effects from the tren, eh? :thunk:

Tren's side effects include shortness of breath, ligament problems, extreme horniness, and, no kidding, sleep rape.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Side effects from the tren, eh? :thunk:

Tren's side effects include.... sleep rape.

As the victim or the assailant?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Tren is a perennial subject in TCC's steriod thread, due to it's dramatic psychological side (?) effects.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

PurpleXVI posted:

Not really sure what there is to analyze in the Discworld books, though, unless you want to pick out Pratchett's consistent dunking on democracy and praise for autocratic governments when he isn't writing decent satire.

I don't care of this is from pages ago, what the poo poo are you talking about?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Vetinari/Pratchett is an anarchist is assassin's clothing hope that helps op

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

T-man posted:

I like to think it was like this scene from RIPD: [spoilers for a movie very few people care about, unfortunately]:https://youtu.be/aWFtW-yta_Y?t=51 The RIPD are the leftists, the Deado is Prison Paul

Can't find the scene in english unfortunately so skipped to the cool part

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 05:13 on Apr 20, 2019

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/uwebollocks/status/1119417348518289410?s=21

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I really want someone to ask him what he thinks all of our molars are for.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Evolution was probably really proud of making organisms that could have a large and varied diet and this guy has to go and poo poo all over it. <:mad:>

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

1stGear posted:

Evolution was probably really proud of making organisms that could have a large and varied diet and this guy has to go and poo poo all over it. <:mad:>

It's not his fault

I mean, yes, it is his fault that he has dysentery, but he can't control where he does it

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

1stGear posted:

That guy isn't making GBS threads anytime soon

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ok Mr. Pedantic, to clarify, I don't have to pay extra for IMAX / Dolby digital films, jeez.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Delysid posted:

My cousin makes 3-5 posts a day like this, really channeling that Charlie Kelly/"they need to do way instain mother" energy.

Uh, this kinda got glossed over, but, um, what the gently caress?
I've never seen someone illiterate be so literate, or vice versa. I feel like I was having a stroke while reading these.
Is your cousin illiterate? Brain damaged in some way? Is he King of the Rats? I need more details here.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Maybe 1/200 people in a UK pub have heard of breitbart.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Farecoal posted:

Vetinari is a ruthless, murderous, dictator but the story always ends up painting him as the best option or him ending up doing the right thing to restore order/save the day. Likewise efforts to bring him down will always backfire or be thwarted.

He holds this patriarchal position of being above the whole mess like some disapproving parent as the wacky characters of the book cause trouble that he eventually has to clean up. Even if he does evil things the story will contort itself to redeem him after the fact because the little old lady he had beheaded turned out to be Lucifers nan or so.

Katt has a new favorite as of 09:22 on Apr 20, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Jippa posted:

Maybe 1/200 people in a UK pub have heard of breitbart.

You are being WAY too generous there.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Samovar posted:

You are being WAY too generous there.

yeah most UK pubs are pretty small, be lucky to get 50 people in there.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Farecoal posted:

The only government painted as correct and worthy of praise is ruled by an autocratic strongman who's never wrong, with the exception of one book where he's wrong for all of five minutes. The only thing that's presented as an alternative is a monarch with a Divine Right To Rule that everyone recognizes just by gazing upon his superior being. Any time democracy or republicanism get brought up, they're dismissed with mockery along the lines of "lol, but even THIS GUY can see that letting the idiots vote would ruin the whole thing" or "the peasants play along while wisely recognizing that what truly functions is a monarchy. This aspiring Republican is truly a silly man."

Basically what Katt said.

It's easy to dismiss in the early books when he's just writing satire of other settings, but once he starts having pretensions of writing some sort of social commentary the fact that it just intensifies feels like it's clear he's some sort of autocrat-fellating unironic monarchist.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

PurpleXVI posted:

The only government painted as correct and worthy of praise is ruled by an autocratic strongman who's never wrong, with the exception of one book where he's wrong for all of five minutes. The only thing that's presented as an alternative is a monarch with a Divine Right To Rule that everyone recognizes just by gazing upon his superior being. Any time democracy or republicanism get brought up, they're dismissed with mockery along the lines of "lol, but even THIS GUY can see that letting the idiots vote would ruin the whole thing" or "the peasants play along while wisely recognizing that what truly functions is a monarchy. This aspiring Republican is truly a silly man."

Basically what Katt said.

It's easy to dismiss in the early books when he's just writing satire of other settings, but once he starts having pretensions of writing some sort of social commentary the fact that it just intensifies feels like it's clear he's some sort of autocrat-fellating unironic monarchist.

So have you read any of Pratchett's books or what because literally every time "king" comes up bad poo poo happens and also Vimes foams at the mouth while having visions of a headsman's axe in his hands

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Screaming Idiot posted:

So have you read any of Pratchett's books or what because literally every time "king" comes up bad poo poo happens and also Vimes foams at the mouth while having visions of a headsman's axe in his hands

Like Oliver Cromwell, Vetinari is king in everything but name.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Screaming Idiot posted:

Have you not noticed that Vimes is basically wrong or late every time in these books? He's always the last to figure everything out. He's not the one you're supposed to consider to be right about things. He's the comedy option. By my memory, the only time he resolves a situation that Carrot and/or Vetinari didn't have perfectly under control already was finishing off Wolfgang in The Fifth Elephant.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

hyperhazard posted:

I really want someone to ask him what he thinks all of our molars are for.

GRINDING BONES LIKE A MAN

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Katt posted:

Like Oliver Cromwell, Vetinari is king in everything but name.

Vetinari does very little actual governing, leaving it mostly to the various guilds to do the work and only exercising his influence on rare occasions. We're also supposed to see that Vetinari is not a good or just ruler, but better than his predecessors in that he isn't a bugfuck crazy nobleman or aristocrat. Even he realizes this and is trying to ready Ankh-Morpork to switch to a new mode of government that will outlast him.

Vetinari knows that everything that came to be under his rule will last only as long as he lives unless he can institute changes to redistribute power so no single force can outweigh the others. He isn't an objectively progressive ruler by any means, but compare him to the previous Patricians and it's easy to see why Vetinari is an improvement.

Carrot assuming the throne is the worst case scenario because he doesn't have any way of supporting the rule. People would obey him, yes, but that doesn't mean he'd be right every time, nor does it mean he would always be good. In The Fifth Elephant we see that Carrot could easily become a greater tyrant than any previous ruler because nobody could stand up to him or even disobey -- that isn't the basis for a fair or stable government.

Pratchett is trying to show that no government should hinge itself on the whims of a single individual, or even a vroup of individuals. Hell, he even outthought Vetinari a few times in that regard in Guards! Guards! as well in a few other cases. Vimes is slow on the uptake, but that's because he is methodical and tries not to leap to conclusions because the first thought is usually what the perpetrator wants you to think.

Ankh-Morpork isn't a utopia. It's imperfect, barely functional, and Vetinari is shown not to be the best possible leader, only the best it's had in a long line of bad, bad leaders. It can seem like the moral is "Vetinari is always right," but it's really supposed to be "even the tyrant can see things are broken, and he's trying to fix it before someone else comes in and makes it worse."

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I think it's more complicated than you guys are making it out to be; a running theme in the discworld is that a good king/dictator can be good but a system like that isn't sustainable because their successor might not be. Vimes is consistently portrayed as being at odds with his role in upholding a system he ultimately hates, and Vetinari deliberately keeps promoting him into the social class he wants to destroy in order to neuter him. I never got the impression that Pratchett was saying "autocratic rule is the best" or that the fact the dominant power structure is ultimately not overturned means that we're supposed to think it's the best; it's more of a commentary on power.

Edit: what screaming idiot said. Ankh-Morpork isn't a utopia, and Vimes is definitely not the comic relief.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 09:52 on Apr 20, 2019

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PurpleXVI posted:

He's not the one you're supposed to consider to be right about things.

This is the wrongest thing anyone has every said since that academic dissertation on King of the Hill that complained about how the show never mentioned what Hank Hill's job is.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Carrot assuming the throne is the worst case scenario because he doesn't have any way of supporting the rule. People would obey him, yes, but that doesn't mean he'd be right every time, nor does it mean he would always be good.

And yet, in the books, he always is. :v:

Screaming Idiot posted:

Pratchett is trying to show that no government should hinge itself on the whims of a single individual, or even a vroup of individuals. Hell, he even outthought Vetinari a few times in that regard in Guards! Guards! as well in a few other cases. Vimes is slow on the uptake, but that's because he is methodical and tries not to leap to conclusions because the first thought is usually what the perpetrator wants you to think.

Did you read the same Guards! Guards! that I did, where Vetinari was locked up entirely on his own sufferance and grinning to himself, while locked up, that everything outside was going exactly to plan, because it was?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Werong Bustope posted:

deliberately keeps promoting him into the social class he wants to destroy in order to neuter him

Also this is shown to pretty much work

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
take it to the book barn, Pratchett has been silent on social media for a few years for some reason.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
She's like the second prominent person to get this wrong in the past day or so:
https://twitter.com/RashidaTlaib/status/1119422730871496705

Passover is that holiday where you are forbidden from eating leavened bread
Also fun are all the replies with "Happy Easter" and "Jesus died for your sins". :rolleyes:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

PurpleXVI posted:

And yet, in the books, he always is. :v:

Did you read the same Guards! Guards! that I did, where Vetinari was locked up entirely on his own sufferance and grinning to himself, while locked up, that everything outside was going exactly to plan, because it was?

And it only happened because he didn't listen to Vimes, who told Vetinari he saw a dragon and refused to believe it until it was too late. Because of his mistake, the city was almost burned down around them and the palace was nearly destroyed. Vetinari isn't infallible, and he knows it, and that's why he keeps trying to spread his power to others so as to ensure the city will function after his passing since he witnessed first-hand what happened when power was concentrated in the hands of a few aristocrats.

Pratchett's point is absolutely not "RULERS ARE COOL!" and if you think so then I have to question whether you've read any of the books.

Terry Pratchett, apparent monarchist posted:

Royalty was like dandelions. No matter how many heads you chopped off, the roots were still there underground, waiting to spring up again.

It seemed to be a chronic disease. It was as if even the most intelligent person had this little blank spot in their heads where someone had written: "Kings. What a good idea." Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

She's like the second prominent person to get this wrong in the past day or so:
https://twitter.com/RashidaTlaib/status/1119422730871496705

Passover is that holiday where you are forbidden from eating leavened bread
Also fun are all the replies with "Happy Easter" and "Jesus died for your sins". :rolleyes:

Also, isn't Passover supposed to be... A very sombre occasion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Another thing that Pratchett pointed out is that, for the most part, people don't really give a poo poo who is in charge and what the system of government is if everything works.

With Vetinari in charge Ankh-Morpork works. Of course Vetinari also realizes being in charge is a really precarious position to be in which is why so many of his predecessors failed to die of old age.