Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Pretty much every mainline entry between the original gen 3 games and ORAS actually had its own take on the contest concept, and they all basically were just grooming and dressup games.* Hoenn contests are far better and more interesting than all of them.

*Okay, Sinnoh contests were a little more involved than that, I think, but literally all I remember about Sinnoh contests is "watered down version of Hoenn contests."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Swampert naturally gets a solid contest setup(beauty iirc)
I remember in og Sapphire that MF won every contest and then single handedly beat the entire elite 4.

I did the one Pokemon challenge for the first three gens as a kid.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

swampert rules

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I don't know how Pokemon contest works and i refuse to put energy into learning. I'm not googling what moves are tough and what order they need to be in to get the most toughness out of the audience or whatever. If they wanted to make a Pokemon beauty contest thing, great, make that a spinoff game. Give it's own mechanics that make sense. Eeverybody would love a Pokemon grooming and dressup game. Cobbling together this nonsense minigame using the existing battle mechanics is terrible. I won't do it again. That audience wouldn't know a good Pikachu if it killed them with electricity.

I never found contests to be my cup of tea. But I can get it if you have a pokemon that's never going to be good at battling and set them up so they can run the contest circuit. Also anything that references idol culture always makes me think of Perfect Blue and I get creeped out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Pokemon White is my favorite game and I hope this post isn't so huge it can't even post gently caress i gotta go to work

Just posting to say I really enjoyed reading your take on BW's story, about how communities coming together is one of the most mature things this game series has ever done. Coming out of that to Gen 6 was really a let down.

Also, shout out to Ghetsis for being the best villain in the whole goddamn series. Dude didn't do just dramatic speeches nor had a bunch of plots to manipulate others to conquer the region for the sake of something abstract like other villains in the series. He did everything unapologetically, cold, and calculating for a realistic power bid. His Hydreigon knows Frustration at full power. Hell, his whole team seems to have been carefully picked to take on N in case he wouldn't obey his orders. Everything and everyone is a tool to him.

And then on the sequel he goes completely bonkers after having his decade-long ambition thwarted and you hear it clearly in his battle theme, completely chaotic in comparison to the original. Well, that and the whole "Kyurem, use Murder Child"

Was not surprised to see him in UltraSM ready to murder Lillie. Best villain.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Thinking about it more, I really liked contests. It provided strategy that I honestly still think regular combat lacks. Comboing your own moves together and both messing up your opponents as well as having to predict when they'll do likewise.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Saoshyant posted:

Just posting to say I really enjoyed reading your take on BW's story, about how communities coming together is one of the most mature things this game series has ever done. Coming out of that to Gen 6 was really a let down.

Also, shout out to Ghetsis for being the best villain in the whole goddamn series. Dude didn't do just dramatic speeches nor had a bunch of plots to manipulate others to conquer the region for the sake of something abstract like other villains in the series. He did everything unapologetically, cold, and calculating for a realistic power bid. His Hydreigon knows Frustration at full power. Hell, his whole team seems to have been carefully picked to take on N in case he wouldn't obey his orders. Everything and everyone is a tool to him.

And then on the sequel he goes completely bonkers after having his decade-long ambition thwarted and you hear it clearly in his battle theme, completely chaotic in comparison to the original. Well, that and the whole "Kyurem, use Murder Child"

Was not surprised to see him in UltraSM ready to murder Lillie. Best villain.

Thanks, man.

Yeah! Ghetsis is great. And there's of course N who was manipulated, but also pretty much everyone else in the organization. He told so many people what they wanted to hear. One of the sages talks about how Ghetsis showed him a purpose or something to that effect, and then gives you the TM for Calm Mind that Ghetsis had given him. I don't think all the Sages match their TMs, but it really shows how he understood people, and used that for his selfish gain versus N who only understood pokemon. The scientists that hacked the entire PC system for Plasma to release all pokemon also mention that they worked off of Ghetsis' genius, so he's very well studied in that regard too. And then when he gets to talk with Alder, he knows exactly what nerves to hit.

His battle theme is also super cool. N's is erratic, yet melodic. It features a part where things slow down and on the left side you hear your heart beats, on the right his, and it's cool as hell like an audio version of the classic shonen "you understand each other's heart in battle" stuff. Ghetsis has these imposing drums that drown everything.

Best villain for sure. Wonder how he felt about his many years of carefully plotting to see some guy on the news just explicitly talk about genocide only for the professor to swoon and everything to almost work regardless.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Is there anyway to get good moves on my Alolan Sandslash in Ultra Moon without the Move Reminder? It seems all his good moves are those "level 1" ones. I'd go to the Move Reminder but apparently he's not till the elite 4 at which point the games over anyway.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

galagazombie posted:

Is there anyway to get good moves on my Alolan Sandslash in Ultra Moon without the Move Reminder? It seems all his good moves are those "level 1" ones. I'd go to the Move Reminder but apparently he's not till the elite 4 at which point the games over anyway.

TMs are kinda you're only other option. Alolaslash's moveset is the result of it being a stone evolution. Even older examples like Raichu and Starmie have the same problem.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Thanks, man.

Yeah! Ghetsis is great. And there's of course N who was manipulated, but also pretty much everyone else in the organization. He told so many people what they wanted to hear. One of the sages talks about how Ghetsis showed him a purpose or something to that effect, and then gives you the TM for Calm Mind that Ghetsis had given him. I don't think all the Sages match their TMs, but it really shows how he understood people, and used that for his selfish gain versus N who only understood pokemon. The scientists that hacked the entire PC system for Plasma to release all pokemon also mention that they worked off of Ghetsis' genius, so he's very well studied in that regard too. And then when he gets to talk with Alder, he knows exactly what nerves to hit.

His battle theme is also super cool. N's is erratic, yet melodic. It features a part where things slow down and on the left side you hear your heart beats, on the right his, and it's cool as hell like an audio version of the classic shonen "you understand each other's heart in battle" stuff. Ghetsis has these imposing drums that drown everything.

Best villain for sure. Wonder how he felt about his many years of carefully plotting to see some guy on the news just explicitly talk about genocide only for the professor to swoon and everything to almost work regardless.

Not to mention the disturbingly real depictions of child abuse and how a cult actually works. N genuinely believed in the cause and was deliberately mentally stunted to that end. His room is loving terrifying with that broken music box theme. It also makes you wonder whether or not Ghetsis was telling the truth about finding him abandoned or he made other arrangements.....guy was most definitely planning on murdering him once his role was finished though. Not too many pokemon villains are that blunt about it. I think the only other one was Lusamine while Lysandre was more about genocide.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Every video game would be improved if it featured a mountain that had been hollowed out to be used as a giant multi-level graveyard

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Flopsy posted:

Not to mention the disturbingly real depictions of child abuse and how a cult actually works. N genuinely believed in the cause and was deliberately mentally stunted to that end. His room is loving terrifying with that broken music box theme. It also makes you wonder whether or not Ghetsis was telling the truth about finding him abandoned or he made other arrangements.....guy was most definitely planning on murdering him once his role was finished though. Not too many pokemon villains are that blunt about it. I think the only other one was Lusamine while Lysandre was more about genocide.

X/Y really felt unfinished, Team Flare is definitely comically undeveloped and flat for what amount to apocalypse cultists. And also a case of raising the stakes way too high.

Team Galactic I have a soft spot for because their whole plot is basically a Pokemon take on a Cthulhu cult, and only reading between the lines do you realise what Cyrus' plan actually was.

Feels like there's a lot of unsaid plot with Team Plasma like where the hell they actually came from and why they have a king. (My guess is they were a Knights Templar esque organisation founded in ancient times and dedicated to ensuring Pokemon were treated well, and mostly under Ghetsis got more of a PETA streak) The other organisations generally have more clear reasons why they exist and what they do; Team Rocket are just the mafia, Aqua and Magma are ecoterrorists with odd ideas about terraforming, Galactic are Pokescientology, and Team Skull of course get a bit more insight into where they come from and why.

Does make me wonder what we'll see in Sword and Shield. They already did the whole knights thing full hog, but the gangs have never really necessarily been aesthetically matched to the setting anyway. I do wonder if at some point we're going to see a Mad Max raider gang styled team.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Well, the relics of the undersea thing might be the true origins of plasma. They speak of a king and his name is likely Harmonia
https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Abyssal_Ruins

I think Ghetsis found some relics and based Team Plasma on that kingdom; built everything around that aesthetic but while using high tech. A front that they were actually nobel by having a culture and apperance.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hit the credits again and beat Cynthia. Pokemon White is concluded.

It is the best game in the series. I want to say "gently caress, we gotta go back!" but we can't. We can get a game as good, sure, but we can't make Gen 5 again, a lot of elements are just locked in its time due to the franchise's continuous growth.

-The very first thing that struck with me when I started playing, something that ended up true for the entire game is the level design. The games are designed in one simple, but very strong philosophy: the critical path should be short, and a lot of content lies away from it.
Its early examples are pretty good, you can get the elemental monkey you need if you explore. Normal gym has fighting types near it just off the fence of the following route, and if you manage to miss that, the next story bit makes you take the side-path of a short, straight line forest. This design continues in almost every route, and I feel it is brought back to a near-poetic end in Plasma Castle, where you can just walk three straight lines and face the endgame... or you can go into each room and learn about the science of Plasma, how some members feel, how they view N, N's room, etc.
This design is the most fitting for Pokemon. Routes that newcomers can defeat without too much pressure, but also with large areas to reward exploration and curiosity. If you're stuck with a gym leader on the first half of the game, exploration will end up solving that.
The Swords of Justice also live by this concept, and it's great. They offer a good reflection to N, and they're so optional that this, my fourth playthrough, was the first time I actually looked for them.

-Items are also really tame. You're not finding nothing overly strong, not even leftovers, until beating the story. But you don't need them, you don't have, say, Dusclops or Togepi or Honhedge that are begging you for the evolution item that isn't anywhere to be found. I feel like you are given the exact amount of power you need for the story, and end up finding fairly useful stuff all over.

-The NPCs are really fun! Lots of nice folk that are just neat. The NY aspect making you see tons of foreigners is fun, and then there's some towns with full-on weirdos, like that post-game beach town that is only a family of rich goons. Or the bridge with people who love the bridge and bridge sandwiches, and a lady that lives with five loving patrats and runs over to the other bridge when you talk to her to host a patrat show. And then the couple that moves into her house wonders why it smells of patrat.
There's a ton of stuff they do that makes the world feel alive. Nimbasa city specially, with its stadiums, and ferris wheel, and fashion show, it's a wonderful city.

-The art design is stellar. For a sprite game from 2010 or so, it's really nice, dynamic, colorful, some pokemon have a ton of attitude. The cities are all distinct. The amount of trainer classes feels really vast compared to other entries.

-Pokemon Roster is great. There's always a surprise with all these new 'mons, the distribution means you can find a new invaluable friend right around the corner. Some are essentially repeats, sure, but so many others have a ton of charm and attitude. Darmanitan, Golurk, literally all the bugs, Bisharp, Throh and Sawk, Excadrill, Scraggy, ah, just a ton of pokemon that are fun and sweet. Really gives a sense of discovery, fueled by the level design. Their late evolving levels means you can get pokemon pretty late and still become attached by seeing them Grow under you, rather htan just being a fully evolved thing that may fit your team.

-Battles are pretty good. The olde exp share system is really different; just going from gym to gym, whatever got to flex hard on one gym ends up taking a rest for a while and others catch up without it going ahead. Levels stay relatively low for a long while, and it's kinda fun. Rivals pop up at a good pace, they feel stronger each time and there's a couple of times they caught me offguard and made me worry my team was still beat up and not ready.

-The only negatives I think of is that the sixth gym's city, all the way up 'till defeating gym 7, is a chore. The gyms are pretty tame with the puzzle, the seventh one has such a limited roster you fight three ice cream trainers in a row, N and Cheren get involved but don't really do anything different from last time, both gyms are around "go to a tower, climb it, cutscene on top" and it's just a boring hour or two past the middle of the game.
The roster is also limiting; part of what makes that stretch of the game bad is that there's, maybe 4? pokemon to catch, none particularly useful for the flying or ice gym, but it shows up from time to time before that, just going to a route, seeing two pokemon and that's pretty much it. It works for the most part, but after seeing what a regional dex can do with 400ish 'mons, it can be disheartening.

-Story, ohhh man, here we go:
The story truly is deconstructed from its most basic premise. We all know about the "pokemon battles are cockfights, and cruel." part, but lets skip that for now: the eight gyms and elite 4 part is also put under contempt from the start. Every adult basically talks about it like going through summer camp. Just something you do as a kid. You can finish the pokedex, but outside of a feeling of "that's neat!" nobody seems to give a gently caress about it. Gym leaders are so much more than gym leaders. Everyone enforces a feeling of "it's the journey, not the destination" because it's all meaningless... it's an excuse for trainers to explore the land and find themselves.

Then we go over to peta, and... I like the answer people end up with. Most trainers are not like that, most people simply have a partner pokemon, most trainers aren't all about battle, and those with the experience of living battles more than others simply come to conclusions of how to improve life with pokemon, of listening more to pokemon. The Plasma spiel is lies, but gym leaders do take it and come to their own conclusions on how to improve when they are challenged like this. Communication and community are a huge part of the story.

Gym Leaders, god I love them so much. They are community leaders, they serve their cities and town, they run an important part of it (library, restaurant, airport, mine, etc) and they fight to protect the city itself against Plasma. They actively foil the evil team!!! They give lessons to the kids doing the challenge. They're great. In contrast, the Elite 4 are secluded to the northest point of the map, they really only talk about how good battles are, and do nothing even when the league is in danger. The gym leader is the part of the community, while the elite 4 is above it... and thus doesn't offer anything useful.

Cheren and Bianca. Cheren is much like the you who first played pokemon. Wants to be the best, doesn't question what's going on, just gotta be the strongest and catch them all. Meanwhile, Bianca is more about finding out what IS the region she's in, which of the side things are really fun. She immediately knows that the journey is something your parents asked of Juniper so you could go out in the world. She looks for purpose. They both find themselves during this whole adventure, and it's great seeing characters you could easily have played as during your time in the franchise.

Plasma is a great team. The grunts are a surprising mix of good-natured goons and just hooligans. Gives credence that this is a fairly large organization when there's so many different people. Then the upper staff of the six sages who offer wisdom to Ghetsis, in exchange for different things, different points of views on all sides. Ghetsis is an evil jerk, I love him, he's always just Barely keeping his evil laughter in check... and somehow that's the most convincing a villain has been in this whole IP (why does NO villain even attempt at hiding being evil????)

N... ahh, so many good things. Y'all know he's good. I love that you are the first step on his own journey and he grows alongside you, Cheren and Bianca. By seeing the world and other POVs, he can overcome the evil nurturing Ghetsis had done his whole life. Him only using pokemon from the areas he fights you in and then letting them go is great. The first time it happens is an amazing shock because if you are Ready for gym 2, you'll have a fighting type in the lead, and he'll come at you with the pidove. The pursuit of truth and dreams is the best "both sides are right" thing.

N thus looks into the future, meanwhile the Swords of Justice are stuck in the past. Yet it is you, living in the present that changes both of their minds and lets them interact with the world that is. Alder is similar, stuck in the pain of losing his partner. For all his talk about wandering and helping, he isn't as open to new ideas as the leaders, other adults dunk on him for not being present, and when you get to the post-game... a lot of trainers seem to be strong enough to be champs. And the dialogue between some E4 imply that the E4 does lose fairly often to challengers. Alder grew during the game. Never the sage he pretended to be.

All leads to a journey where characters have storylines, emotional beats, everyone has something fairly meaningful to say. Because the story is about seeing others' points of views and growing thanks to that. About community coming together. Issues are solved in a team, not just by you getting a legnedary and kicking rear end. Heck, I said no to Zekrom and finished the game without him and it owned.

Post-game is great, battling Cynthia after becoming champ was a very good sendoff. Pokemon White is my favorite game and I hope this post isn't so huge it can't even post gently caress i gotta go to work

Sir, this is a Burger King Drive Thru

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ah yes the timely and funny meme

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

iospace posted:

Sir, this is a Burger King Drive Thru

How strange that somebody would effort post about Pokémon, here in the Pokémon thread

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

How strange that somebody would effort post about Pokémon, here in the Pokémon thread

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I know that Pokemon is a game for small children, so I'm not gonna say that it's weird that the world has apparently accepted that the point man on stopping a terrorist organization from summoning an ancient god to sink the land below the waves is a 12 year old boy. That's fine.

I do think it's weird that despite that, everybody is still like, "I hope you're having fun on your Pokemon adventure! You should challenge our local gym leader, he's real strong!"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gripweed posted:

I know that Pokemon is a game for small children, so I'm not gonna say that it's weird that the world has apparently accepted that the point man on stopping a terrorist organization from summoning an ancient god to sink the land below the waves is a 12 year old boy. That's fine.

I do think it's weird that despite that, everybody is still like, "I hope you're having fun on your Pokemon adventure! You should challenge our local gym leader, he's real strong!"

I think if you live in the Pokemon universe you just kind of have to accept that kids and teens are going to achieve everything that matters while you carry on with your life. To be fair, you probably saved the world when you were ten, so why the hell should these kids get an easy ride? Defeat Cthulhu yourself, you goddamn millennial.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

X/Y really felt unfinished, Team Flare is definitely comically undeveloped and flat for what amount to apocalypse cultists. And also a case of raising the stakes way too high.

Team Galactic I have a soft spot for because their whole plot is basically a Pokemon take on a Cthulhu cult, and only reading between the lines do you realise what Cyrus' plan actually was.

Feels like there's a lot of unsaid plot with Team Plasma like where the hell they actually came from and why they have a king. (My guess is they were a Knights Templar esque organisation founded in ancient times and dedicated to ensuring Pokemon were treated well, and mostly under Ghetsis got more of a PETA streak) The other organisations generally have more clear reasons why they exist and what they do; Team Rocket are just the mafia, Aqua and Magma are ecoterrorists with odd ideas about terraforming, Galactic are Pokescientology, and Team Skull of course get a bit more insight into where they come from and why.

Does make me wonder what we'll see in Sword and Shield. They already did the whole knights thing full hog, but the gangs have never really necessarily been aesthetically matched to the setting anyway. I do wonder if at some point we're going to see a Mad Max raider gang styled team.

Vikings are a possibility or like Mr. Buddy's video guessed possibly Roman invaders. Or it could just be straight up pokemon "War of the Roses" so who knows. I'm there with you about team Flare though. I remember everyone laughing their rear end off at the game trying to play down Lysandre like he wasn't the big villain with his ridiculous rear end hair and weird philosophizing.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 20, 2019

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Team A is dedicated to delivering Galeave, it's what the people voted for and we need to do it. We're going to have a meaningful battle now, and you'll give me your pokemon.

...OK, I know I might have lost the battle, but nothing has changed, I still need your pokemon. Let's have another meaningful battle.

...OK, I know I might have lost the battle, but nothing has changed, I still need your pokemon. Let's have another meaningful battle.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think only Hoenn, Unova and Kalos have those big public events.
Gen 1 and 2 are crime syndicates that the average adult just hears on the news got taken down, Gen 4 I think the InterPol and Cynthia managed to hide enough, and SM was strange portals for a few minutes, the local hooligans are at it again.

Then, yeah, Hoenn got nature completely devastated for a hot day, Unova saw its E4/Championship get made a mockery while a huge drill castle came out of it, but the protag did stop it all before N could fly around in a giant dragon and tell people to release their pokemon, so maybe it wasn't too bad. Kalos had the huge beam that wiped out a town and was threatening directly to destroy life, and then the godking of legend walked live on to the biggest parade and confirmed that immortality IS real.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And then Alola dealt with listless, disenfranchised and frustrated youths and confirmation of interdimensional alien lifeforms

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

thetoughestbean posted:

It felt like a quote from elsewhere until I saw the posts on this page, that's all. Apologies.

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 20, 2019

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It's real apparent there needed to be a "Z" version or something. There were so many things Like AZ or a member of the Elite 4 being part of the villain team, or so many unused Paths, or implications from NPC dialogue that scream "Insert extra content here".

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Since Team Plasma did knights in an American setting, Sword/Shield's Team will be cowboys in a UK setting.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I kind of hope we get something entirely different from "group of people who dress in a goofy fashion led by a bad guy who wants to abuse Pokémon for power" as the main antagonistic force. Sun and Moon (and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon) were steps in the right direction.

galagazombie posted:

It's real apparent there needed to be a "Z" version or something. There were so many things Like AZ or a member of the Elite 4 being part of the villain team, or so many unused Paths, or implications from NPC dialogue that scream "Insert extra content here".

That's what people are hoping will be addressed in Sword and Shield, mostly due to U.K's close proximity to France.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I can't believe you murder Pokemon Boris Johnson in the new game

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

mandatory lesbian posted:

I can't believe you murder Pokemon Boris Johnson in the new game

The big bad is Nigel Farage

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm still convinced the champion will be the queen.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I didn't realize you could get all the Pokemon episodes for free by downloading an app, my nephew is very happy about that

e: lol what is this goofy new theme song. I kinda like it

indigi fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 20, 2019

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

indigi posted:

I didn't realize you could get all the Pokemon episodes for free by downloading an app, my nephew is very happy about that

e: lol what is this goofy new theme song. I kinda like it

Which one? The current one? Cause remember, they do a new theme song every season. Hell, Sinnoh had 3 or 4 different theme songs over the course of the region.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the ska one for Sun and Moon

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s no villainous team in Gen VIII, just the dawning realization that the Galar region was the villainous region of modern Pokémon world history

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Boy, the Galar Museum sure has a lot of exhibits from other regions...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Upcoming anime episode is about Matori trying to capture Bewear and Team Rocket having to protect her.

I'm kinda worried the TRio's good graces with Giovanni since the DP era are gonna come to an end.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Whoa, Matori is actually doing something nowadays? I remember when she was introduced at the end of DP and in BW and she basically did nothing besides stand there, look menacing, and talk to TR when Giovanni was busy/pissed at them.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

She helms the Matori Matrix who threatened to get Ultra Necrozma's power, and the Alolan Meowth ended up with her as her assistant. Matori owns.

She also has a buff goon called Gozu

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Whoa, Matori is actually doing something nowadays? I remember when she was introduced at the end of DP and in BW and she basically did nothing besides stand there, look menacing, and talk to TR when Giovanni was busy/pissed at them.

I think she was supposed to have a bigger role in that Relic Castle plot that got cancelled due to that Earthquake? But yeah, she was kind of useless until the Necrozma arc where she's now in the same role as Cassidy. Heck she wasn't even named anything in the English dub until the Necrozma arc some 9 years after her introduction.

Team Rocket has so many members in it that they end up taking on similar and often redundant roles. Cassidy and Butch were originally better versions of Jessie and James until they somehow morphed into worse versions, and there's been several amoral scientists. I even remember an episode back in Johto that introduced an administrator who basically had the same role as Matori does now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

iospace posted:

I'm still convinced the champion will be the queen.

They could make it a kind of evolution of the Battle Chateau, where whoever is currently champion is the monarch and getting more gym badges moves you up the aristocratic ranks till you face them for the pokecrown.