Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Robnoxious posted:

Dumb question but... are idols in pocket null and void when you hit EOE Beach?

Like, could Wentworth go back with a buyback competition (a comp which is going to happen at some point) and still could have a live idol to play?

Or does all of that poo poo reset and Wentworth's idol goes back to the Still In Game camp for foraging and finding?
The bottom of the idol paper says it expires when you are voted out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The bottom of the idol paper says it expires when you are voted out.

I knew it was a dumb question... but I have an archived History of stupidity to back that up.

Thank you, UDQ!

So it's monumentally dumb she spilled the beans on Loser Beach that Lauren is still holding an idol stash.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Robnoxious posted:

I knew it was a dumb question... but I have an archived History of stupidity to back that up.

Thank you, UDQ!

So it's monumentally dumb she spilled the beans on Loser Beach that Lauren is still holding an idol stash.

I didn't think it was a dumb question. The scroll says it and it's easy to miss, but I don't think they stated it on the show.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

I didn't think it was a dumb question. The scroll says it and it's easy to miss, but I don't think they stated it on the show.
We've been through so many iterations of the Redemption/Exile/EOE arc I wasn't entirely clear if THIS instance of it had some sort of different caveat since "technically" everyone on Loser Beach is still in the game since they can win comps and somewhat influence outcomes because of advantage gifts to those on Not-Loser Beach.

And the inevitable buyback comp that will occur at some point.

Otherwise, this EOE island is a new spin unless I'm blocking out the other times it has happened in this way.
And Survivor has been known to move the goal posts at will in terms of rules.

I'm also not the most avid watcher, I don't know who or how the person last season won (checked out due to personal poo poo that holds more precedence) and I never got through Africa or China at all even though I know those outcomes.
I guess I could revisit those seasons but :effort:

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 20, 2019

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Robnoxious posted:

We've been through so many iterations of the Redemption/Exile/EOE arc I wasn't entirely clear if THIS instance of it had some sort of different caveat since "technically" everyone on Loser Beach is still in the game since they can win comps and somewhat influence outcomes because of advantage gifts to those on Not-Loser Beach.

And the inevitable buyback comp that will occur at some point.

Otherwise, this EOE island is a new spin unless I'm blocking out the other times it has happened in this way.
And Survivor has been known to move the goal posts at will in terms of rules.

I'm also not the most avid watcher, I don't know who or how the person last season won (checked out due to personal poo poo that holds more precedence) and I never got through Africa or China at all even though I know those outcomes.
I guess I could revisit those seasons but :effort:

Last season was the best in quite some time, highly recommended. There’s no shortage of players from there that’ll be returning, too, might as well get familiar (I mean, :effort:, of course, but it’s not like you’ll be suffering through another HHH or anything)

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Robnoxious posted:

Dumb question but... are idols in pocket null and void when you hit EOE Beach?

Like, could Wentworth go back with a buyback competition (a comp which is going to happen at some point) and still could have a live idol to play?

Or does all of that poo poo reset and Wentworth's idol goes back to the Still In Game camp for foraging and finding?

Ya they lose all idols and advantages when they get voted out.

edit: oops didnt see we were on new page and this was answered

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It's not a dumb question but it happens that Wentworth is the second player this season to be voted out with an idol her pocket. I think we did the detective work when Aubry hosed up.

I haven't disliked this season but I don't think anyone is gonna come out of it making me think they played a great game. It's been a symphony of fuckups.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

When was the last season you where the alliances blew up so spectacularly? We basically just have some pairs of players left, right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

David's and Goliath's were messes too. Goliath's kept teasing breaking up and just kept backtracking and Davids only managed to hold it together long enough for that crazy powers move.

This cast has been a special kind of mess and idiots but I think it's kind of the stage of the games evolution we're in. They don't even really talk about "alliances" any more but "voting blocks". Everyone's always looking for the combination of votes that best advantages them. Even if it's like Wardog forming an alliance to go to F6 one vote and blowing it up the next vote.

The era of Survivor we're in is just some Tony "chicken with it's head cut off" stuff.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dugong posted:

When was the last season you where the alliances blew up so spectacularly? We basically just have some pairs of players left, right?

I think Ron-Julie is the last alliance standing? Nobody else is really attached to anyone: Rick had David, Gavin was (inexplicably?) left out of the Kelley vote, Victoria and Aurora have been on their own, Wardog lost Lauren when he voted Kelley.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Didn't Ron just vote opposite Julie? I can't keep track. She wanted Aurora gone, right? It was Wardog, Ron, Victoria, Devins, and... Aurora? What a loving mess.

Gavin's game confuses the loving poo poo out of me. He's apparently super close with... that other guy... but then decides to team up with Julia and Victoria to vote him out and flip on the Kama people and form a new alliance with the Lesu trio. Then he, Julia, and Victoria decide to betray their new alliance and go back with the Kama people but it doesn't work because they're fuckheads and Julia blows her game up. So then Gavin teams up with the three people he was just going to betray in Wardog, Lauren, and Wentworth along with 2 people he had betrayed the week earlier in Ron and Julie to form a new alliance? What the hell happened to Victoria?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
He's a pawn playing an entirely reactionary game who goes wherever the wind is blowing. Ironically, he also appears to think he's helping call the shots. Basically, he's the perfect goat.

The only real hope he has right now is that the fact that his recent targets have been universally-perceived threats and/or outsiders might mean his old Kama bridges aren't totally burned, but at this point he has so much blood on his hands (and no self-generated big moves to show for it) that it's probably a moot point.

As for Victoria, it does kind of seem like she's been the unfortunate victim of some very stupid alliance members. She's the least incompetent remaining Kama and maybe she can salvage her game by organizing a voting bloc to take out Wardog/Rick, but she' running out of time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"This Much" is apparently the name of this challenge I just seent on Australian Survivor. Apparently it's been done over here too, but I can't remember them.

I really like this challenge. Good tribe vs tribe action, it's not like the beefy boys have a mega advantage. I do think it would benefit from giving each player a space to stand in consideration of their height or arm span. Seems like everyone had the same space to stand and reach with.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think Ron-Julie is the last alliance standing? Nobody else is really attached to anyone: Rick had David, Gavin was (inexplicably?) left out of the Kelley vote, Victoria and Aurora have been on their own, Wardog lost Lauren when he voted Kelley.

Didn't we see Wardog trying to pull Gavin in?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

SweetJahasus posted:

His name is Wardog not Challengedog god drat yall

The Wardog*

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Topical preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZuVtV2RDdw

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zesty posted:

Didn't we see Wardog trying to pull Gavin in?

I don't think so. His plan appeared to be to blindside the entire alliance he had just formed except for Ron. Gavin, Julie, and Lauren were all on the wrong side of the vote and presumably surprised that their alliance member Wentworth was voted out by the guy who formed the alliance a couple of days earlier.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

eagerly awaiting "if wardog gets to the finals he wins" and him getting voted out this week

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"you got this dog"

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Not only are there no real alliances left, but I'm pretty sure each of the 8 people in the game has voted on the opposite side of the vote as each of the other people left in the game which feels like some sort of record.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

mancalamania posted:

Not only are there no real alliances left, but I'm pretty sure each of the 8 people in the game has voted on the opposite side of the vote as each of the other people left in the game which feels like some sort of record.

Huh, that's true. Everyone has voted on a different side as everyone else at least once since the merge :wow:

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

STAC Goat posted:

The era of Survivor we're in is just some Tony "chicken with it's head cut off" stuff.

Yeah modern Survivor strategy is just frantic nonsense. Anyone who isn't playing hyper-aggressive is labeled a "passenger," a term I truly despise, and everyone is constantly itching to make a Big Move to boost their Resume.

There have been a couple of players the past few seasons who have pointed out that this degree of instability is probably counterproductive for making it far in the game, including Victoria who pointed out the Eric boot was almost certainly too soon. I wonder if we'll ever see things swing back in the other direction where a stable alliance of 5+ people isn't a strange occurrence post-merge.

I guess those types of alliances tended to lean on bottom-feeder types who legitimately did have no chance of winning, so maybe you can't go back now that more of the cast is gunning harder to win a jury vote. Still, it'd probably be optimal strategy to try to set up something reliable to carry you through most of the game while plotting to make a power play with 5-8 people left or something

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Remember all these people watched Ghost Island right before going out there. I think the finale aired and was shown to them literally during the pre-game Ponderosa phase, so they’ve definitely been inspired to avoid repeating what happened there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the RHAP guys have a theory that they're all trying to avoid being Laurel boxed in with better players they were loyal to but can't beat. It's a good excuse as any but I still think it's just the nature of the games evolution we're at. It's just all about the "resume" and trying to think three moves ahead of competitors.

So the second they form an alliance that successfully vote out their first target immediately someone is saying "This is a great plan to work with Bob to take out all the threats But will Bob get more credit for that than me? And is Bob planning to take me out at F3? Should I take Bob out at F4? What if hes thinking that and is planning to take me out at F5? Oh look, I have the numbers now. Guess I better take Bob out before it's too late."

The lesson they've taken isn't "I don't want to be Laurel and not act until it's too late". I think it's "I don't want to be Dominick and consider taking out my best ally and closest threat all game only to end up barely losing to him at the end". That's how you explain stuff like Wardog immediately blowing up his own alliance to take out Wentworth or Gavin saying "Eric is my closest ally so it's time i take him out." Or even back to Gabby trying to take out Christian last season or Zeke trying to take out Andrea or David. They're all terrified of second place.

There's logic to it but there's no sense of timing or real strategy. It's all reactionary and paranoia. And the notion of social games have kind of been abandoned entirely except as that thing those sneaky floater/passengers do to try and steal a victory.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 22, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Play to the Jury. If the Jury values social games, you better have a good one. If they value big moves because they saw Laurel and Dominick lose, play to that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sure, but I meant it more in the sense of "I shouldnt do this move because it will piss everyone off". That seems largely abandoned these days as you have Wardog betraying all the people he just made a giant show of how loyal he was to, Ron choosing to blindside the one person he's had on his side all game, Gavin deciding to backstab his closest buddy, Lesu throwing Devins under the bus so hard Kama felt bad for him, etc.

I meant "social game" less from the traditional idea and more from the simple idea of "what will be the consequences of my actions?" or "How will this make me look?". Julia lost so much sight of that that she was basically telling people to shut up in Tribal while the Jury workshopped their biggest reactions.

I just don't think the modern player cares. If they can't find a goat to bring they just figure theyll figure that out later and shame the jury not to be "bitter" and vote on game.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 22, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Maybe they should do a season of all people who desperately need the money, so it's very personal and everybody is just trying to win moment to moment because they really can't afford to have just come out here and miss work just to lose.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khanstant posted:

Maybe they should do a season of all people who desperately need the money, so it's very personal and everybody is just trying to win moment to moment because they really can't afford to have just come out here and miss work just to lose.

The stipend would cover lost wages as long as they don't lose their job over it

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

IcePhoenix posted:

The stipend would cover lost wages as long as they don't lose their job over it

Many people quit their jobs for this as it is.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Being loyal to an alliance is great if you can beat them at the end. That was the issue with Laurel. She couldn't out-talk Wendell or Domenick. Also see: Ken from MvG. And if you know you can't beat them, you have to recognize when is the right time to flip on them. Ken waited too long. Wardog might have not waited long enough.

I do think this move will probably be beneficial for Lauren, though. I don't think she beats Wentworth if they're both sitting at the end, so if she can get there on her own merits and look like a survivor rather than clueless since her number one ally got blindsided, she's got a real good chance.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think the issue with Laurel is less that she couldn't out-anything Wendell or Dom, but more that she had the opportunity nearly every round to make a game-winning move, and declined.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As I recall the problem was basically that all the jurors kept wanting her to be the key to them flipping things on Dom and Wendell and she never bit because she felt if she did she'd be in a worse game position. And while I seem to remember generally agreeing with her on it the reality is if the entire jury thinks you're a dumbass pawn who refused to play ball then you're screwed if you can't figure out a third option.

But like I said, I don't think the players are afraid of being Laurel. I think they're afraid of being Dom. That's why they're undercutting their allies the first time it crosses their mind.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I do think this move will probably be beneficial for Lauren, though. I don't think she beats Wentworth if they're both sitting at the end, so if she can get there on her own merits and look like a survivor rather than clueless since her number one ally got blindsided, she's got a real good chance.
Lauren definitely had a problem with being too attached to Wentworth but that wasn't her only problem. The tribe sees her as a big immunity threat which seems like a potential easy target. And Lauren hasn't really shown much game scrambling ability, though maybe she just got hidden by Wentworth. And she doesn't appear to have any allies left standing unless you count Gavin and Julie.

Still the tribe is so insane and determined to shake poo poo up that she might be able to skate by a bit or form a brand new voting blocks that defies all past voting blocks. And she has an idol and that's probably gonna play a lot better for her if/when she uses it now that it's not connected with Wentworth's (or if Wentworth is determined to tell the whole jury how she hosed up her idol in comparison).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I certainly wouldn’t mind repeating Domenick’s game. Dude cruised all the way to FTC in extremely dominant fashion and only lost on a tiebreaker, and still got second overall. And that easily could’ve been a winning game with one different wrinkle here or there!

Laurel’s game on the other hand...

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 22, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Propaganda Machine posted:

I guess for me that wouldn't fall under "missing work" because if you quit you don't have any work to miss :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Well, I doubt most folks have the job security or clout at work to be like "You I'm taking off 2-3 months to do a thing, see y'all when I get back."

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Being loyal to an alliance is great if you can beat them at the end. That was the issue with Laurel. She couldn't out-talk Wendell or Domenick. Also see: Ken from MvG. And if you know you can't beat them, you have to recognize when is the right time to flip on them. Ken waited too long. Wardog might have not waited long enough.

I’m not sure I agree that Ken waited too long. Ken turning on David earlier just decreased his chance of being in the final tribal council without really increasing his chances of winning. I think Ken’s problem was 1) not being particularly sociable or outgoing which made it hard for the other player’s to really like him and 2) being in a season where everyone wanted to be seen as making big moves. I mean the jury of Millennials vs Gen X was weird because the winner argued that he split the middle between old school loyal Ken and new school voting block Hannah when all 3 voting histories were identical except for Hannah being on the other end of a split vote and Adam turning on David one vote earlier.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Khanstant posted:

Well, I doubt most folks have the job security or clout at work to be like "You I'm taking off 2-3 months to do a thing, see y'all when I get back."

University professors and employees can get away with it with sabbatical time, teachers get the summers off anyway, university students can take the time off, and a bunch of contestants have kooky self employed jobs like wilderness guide or coconut vendor.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also, the bartender / mactors don't exactly have long term jobs anyway :P. They'd probably have a new job in 3 months time anyway without Survivor.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

University professors and employees can get away with it with sabbatical time, teachers get the summers off anyway, university students can take the time off, and a bunch of contestants have kooky self employed jobs like wilderness guide or coconut vendor.

Etsy Store Owner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
To some degree, it seems like those people end up on the show specifically because they have jobs, or careers where they can afford to take off or deuce out, or they straight up have or come from money anyway. It's actually pretty uncommon to see people get far or win who like really need it or could use it. A lot of people in the final council are asked what they want the money for and half the time it's just "Uhhh.... Well I want to uhh contribute more to my philanthropy? Charity something. Soccer kid team? Oh yeah and I really want to help out my beloved [relative you know is being mentioned for sympathy and any benefit they get will be splashes from benefit to winner]"

I think that's also why so many people can really say "it's just a game," because to them their lives are already probably really comfortable.