Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Lol that thing is literally the D Beam controller on the Roland Juno G. :holy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/12/18306461/solar-powered-art-pioneer-works-alex-nathanson-energy-photography

Synthgoons this article and the attached links have me all inspired to make poo poo. Like what about a solar powered “sunchime” that makes drones or plays samples or runs a tiny generative softsynth or whatever? Maybe you program/tune it to certain scales and then pop it in your yard or in your window and listen to it make bleeps.

Or maybe something like an album/jam hosted online that only becomes available/functional when the sun’s out...

This reminds me of that synth buoy that would generate sounds from the movement of the waves and tides or something like that. It sounds bug gently caress nuts but I swear its a thing, cant find it now though. Google just keeps showing me the tides module by mutable instruments when I try looking it up.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
FLStudio just announced a free beta for FLEX, a new Subtractive, Wavetable, Multisample, FM & AM based synthesizer. It'll be included for free in all FLStudio versions going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCkGY8IS8oE

https://soundcloud.com/fl-studio/flex-olbaid-compendium-demo

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 15, 2019

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

That's cool,

But all my tracks are going to be 75% Sytrus anyways :shrug:

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 15, 2019

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

I mentioned earlier in the thread I finally bought a Yamaha Montage. Holy poo poo. It's glorious.

Here's one of the first tracks I have done with it so far.

https://soundcloud.com/tom-pellegrino-146151417/feeling-horny

I cannot believe the sounds that come out of this thing. I have never heard anything quite so good from a synth before. Pumping through some JBL Studio Monitors, the thickness and clarity of the sounds are amazing.

I can see this being my go-to Synth for a very long time.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I wanted to participate in Boner Jamz but after working with my oldest piece of equipment (DX7) and newest (Volca Sample) I realized about a week in that I had simply made “After the Love Has Gone” with a slight variation. :suicide:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Jonny Nox posted:

That's cool,

But all my tracks are going to be 75% Sytrus anyways :shrug:

Honestly, after playing around with FLEX, it seems like they've kinda hamstrung it. There are some fantastic sounds in there, though. I have feeling they're going to make a pro version that is fully editable. Right now it feels like a toned down Analog Lab/Synthmaster Player. Which, I guess if you don't have either, it'll be a good free alternative with options to buy preset packs.

And, yeah, I would say my tunes are all 75% Sytrus right now as well. It's just a killer instrument.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 16, 2019

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I wanted to participate in Boner Jamz but after working with my oldest piece of equipment (DX7) and newest (Volca Sample) I realized about a week in that I had simply made “After the Love Has Gone” with a slight variation. :suicide:

Ahh the Trent Reznor approach

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I was thinking a Boner Jamz cover album (call it the condom album or something) for all those times you accidentally remake Sandstorm as a minimalist ambient jam or something. As long as we keep stuff far enough away to get caught by takedowns and don't try and monetize it we should be okay. Also it can be a more relaxing thing to not have to worry about the writing side of stuff.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm down. Cock Sock Jock Jamz.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/aQnkTXqRw28

I joined the beta, although I currently haven’t had much luck downloading the app yet.

Edit: just needed to check my email

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 16, 2019

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Electric Bugaloo posted:

https://youtu.be/aQnkTXqRw28

I joined the beta, although I currently haven’t had much luck downloading the app yet.

Edit: just needed to check my email

Just got in and added some crap to the jam! It's really fun!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Just got in and added some crap to the jam! It's really fun!

I just joined the beta too. This... is really, really loving cool.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

stillvisions posted:

I was thinking a Boner Jamz cover album (call it the condom album or something) for all those times you accidentally remake Sandstorm as a minimalist ambient jam or something. As long as we keep stuff far enough away to get caught by takedowns and don't try and monetize it we should be okay. Also it can be a more relaxing thing to not have to worry about the writing side of stuff.

I'm down.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

VoodooXT posted:

I'm down.

This and sample fest are both great ideas

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm down for a cover album as I already know what I'm going to do to ease myself into songmaking-I-mean-noisemaking.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
should only do covers of songs about weed, and release it on 4/20

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm going to be playing some synth noise in Canberra on May 2 if anyone is in the area. https://www.smithsalternative.com/events/soundscapes-32-57945?d=2%2F05%2F2019+9%3A30%3A00+PM

quote:

JOCKO HOMOMORPHISM
A solo artist who combines mathematical composition with sound collage improvisation. Their interests include synthesizers, digital audio, and alternative tuning systems.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

HotCanadianChick posted:

should only do covers of songs about weed, and release it on 4/20

I was gonna cover this song, but then I got high... [fin]

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I had no idea this thread existed! Recently got into modular synth (and laser cutting). Starting off with an 85HP Eurorack single rail. It will have 2 VCO, VCA, Envelope, Filter, 8step sequencer (rakit baby8, everything else is DIY).

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Welp, just made the biggest synth purchase of my life, hold me goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snu1fyTvJXk

Basically a modernized RSF Polykobol (8 voice analogue poly).

I had been tempted by the Deckard's Dream, but, to be honest as much as I love the CS-80 sound, the more I look into it the more I feel like it has trouble branching out from "that CS-80 sound". And I mean, if you want that all the time, and are really inspired by it, awesome, but, I was waiting for something else. Goddamn I didn't even know the Polykobol existed until I ran into this and it's literally everything I've ever wanted in a Poly analogue.

But, still, hold me goons.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

goodness posted:

I had no idea this thread existed! Recently got into modular synth (and laser cutting). Starting off with an 85HP Eurorack single rail. It will have 2 VCO, VCA, Envelope, Filter, 8step sequencer (rakit baby8, everything else is DIY).

This is cool. I've been kind of tempted to go down this path after watching some of the Look Mum videos. I love DIY electronics.

Just sucks I have so little time. And I don't even have any kids!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Philthy posted:

This is cool. I've been kind of tempted to go down this path after watching some of the Look Mum videos. I love DIY electronics.

Just sucks I have so little time. And I don't even have any kids!

That's who inspired me! Dude is a mad genius living his dream

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

toadee posted:

holy poo poo you absolute lunatic

enjoy man, i've found out that it's better to have 1 really really nice machine than several cheaper units

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

toadee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snu1fyTvJXk

Basically a modernized RSF Polykobol (8 voice analogue poly).

I had been tempted by the Deckard's Dream, but, to be honest as much as I love the CS-80 sound, the more I look into it the more I feel like it has trouble branching out from "that CS-80 sound". And I mean, if you want that all the time, and are really inspired by it, awesome, but, I was waiting for something else. Goddamn I didn't even know the Polykobol existed until I ran into this and it's literally everything I've ever wanted in a Poly analogue.

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS :unsmigghh:

Honestly, once I feel my soldering skills are up to snuff, I feel maybe I should just buy the kit and put it together myself. Doing the capacitor fix for my Roland SR-JV80-04 Vintage Synth card was hilariously easy. :v:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo y'all, Serum is now MPE compatible. My Roli is on the other side of the world for the next few months though. :smith:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I really want to see how these patches were made and performed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8TLT4a5rZg

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

VoodooXT posted:

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS :unsmigghh:

Honestly, once I feel my soldering skills are up to snuff, I feel maybe I should just buy the kit and put it together myself. Doing the capacitor fix for my Roland SR-JV80-04 Vintage Synth card was hilariously easy. :v:

So, a couple things with that - first off, the Black Coporation "kits" are just PCBs and a list of parts you'll need. You have to source all the parts on your own, plus a case. There are some surface mount components soldered onto the PCBs but that's really it. So $1000, plus parts, plus case is probably going to be like $2500 or so at least. Beyond that, the build for this is going to be intense. There are 8 voice cards, each one essentially a full 2-VCO synth in itself. Even a relatively simple synth (the x0xb0x) took me in total probably 10 nights worth of soldering and testing, and this build would literally be like 8 of those, plus the main controller board on top of it. I'm quite comfortable with electronics, although by far not the greatest, but still, these things just take a lot of time.

Just things to bear in mind before you end up with a pile of electronics in front of you and you want to cry!

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

So Math posted:

I really want to see how these patches were made and performed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8TLT4a5rZg

Sounds a lot like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWJvilXy7PE.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Kilometers Davis posted:

That’s tough because on one hand I don’t really care about playing live, but my entire songwriting approach is based on improvising and coming up with good stuff. I guess that’s not different from anyone though really so I should be okay. As long as it’s easy enough to come up with some patterns and interesting sounds without taking hours and hours then I should be set.

No chance to compare them but that’s alright. I’ll keep demo digging for a bit and check out some other mentioned drum machines. The Drum has really got me hooked though. It’s a shame I’m someone who has to own and play with a thing to “get” it but I’m still getting a general idea of the flow of it and the Brute via YouTube.

Might be hard to answer but what is the dumbed down neverownedadrummachine summary of the drumbrute impact vs volca drum in terms of the workflow.

I don't have a Drum, but this guy on youtube seems to be able to improvise and play live pretty okay. I guess you'd need to be recording the output for later sampling to "save" anything created like this though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU0c-n133j4

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
$150 loonies later and I've finally found a PLG100-VL card to reunite with my MU100R, and I gotta say I'm not sure why Yamaha stopped pursuing its physical modeling synthesis. It sounds awesome and dynamic and :sax:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

toadee posted:

So, a couple things with that - first off, the Black Coporation "kits" are just PCBs and a list of parts you'll need. You have to source all the parts on your own, plus a case. There are some surface mount components soldered onto the PCBs but that's really it. So $1000, plus parts, plus case is probably going to be like $2500 or so at least. Beyond that, the build for this is going to be intense. There are 8 voice cards, each one essentially a full 2-VCO synth in itself. Even a relatively simple synth (the x0xb0x) took me in total probably 10 nights worth of soldering and testing, and this build would literally be like 8 of those, plus the main controller board on top of it. I'm quite comfortable with electronics, although by far not the greatest, but still, these things just take a lot of time.

Just things to bear in mind before you end up with a pile of electronics in front of you and you want to cry!

Yeah, I’m aware that I have to buy a whole bunch of extra stuff in addition to the boards from Kijimi. In any case, I wasn’t being completely serious about that post since I only recently started soldering again. The capacitor fix was the first time in 17 years that I’ve done any soldering, and the first and last time I did it was way more difficult I remember. I ended up following the EEVBlog guy’s recommendations and holy poo poo, it’s been a revelation.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

This sounds like my Keurig machine when I first turn it on.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Philthy posted:

This sounds like my Keurig machine when I first turn it on.

Indeed, I credit this video with my non-ownership of any eurorack. "There but for the grace of [Bob Moog] go I..."

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
My phone broke last night so now I have an iPhone. What are some good noise making apps for this? First time on iOS for me.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Novation makes a couple of neat toys but I dunno if there's any actual meat in those.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/korg-gadget-le/id1092332319#?platform=iphone - Korg Gadget.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fm4/id910545680?mt=8 - FM4

If you don't plan on keeping the iPhone, don't buy stuff.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

My phone broke last night so now I have an iPhone. What are some good noise making apps for this? First time on iOS for me.

I like Nanoloop. It's quite minimalist, a bit tracker like, but feels like one of the only apps which isn't trying to cram a big interface into a small screen. It's the one I come back to, even after trying all sorts of others.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
GarageBand is very good and runs plugins (that are compatible with it)

Also nthing Gadget and all of the Korg apps. Same goes for the moog apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
does Sunrizer run on phones or is it iPad-only? I have that and Animoog on my first gen iPad and like both.

I’ve got Figure, Beatwave, Koala, CircleOfFifths, Garageband, Reactable, and Beatmaker2 on my iPhone, but I barely ever use them aside from CircleOfFifths since I hate trying to do any serious writing with the tiny screen of my phone, and I refuse to get some huge phablet