Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Rarity posted:

If there is one combination of words you should not be seeing when talking about folding screen tech it's "broken screen issues" :ughh:

An expensive, delicate device that you shove in your pocket with all the grit and fluff in there, or drop on the beach? Surely that would be no problem for the tightly-packed moving parts that it depends on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Horseshoe crab shareholder here, they've been around for 500 million years and I consider them a sound investment.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
wonder what the age of capitalism where building poo poo thats going to 100% be broken because a manager had a dumb loving idea will be called

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Siljmonster posted:

wonder what the age of capitalism where building poo poo thats going to 100% be broken because a manager had a dumb loving idea will be called

"The present"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Siljmonster posted:

"Capitalism"

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Siljmonster posted:

hellworld

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I figured for two thousand loving dollars a foldable phone could actually fold without breaking immediately. Though this is Samsung we are talking about. They figured out how to make batteries explode.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I absolutely love that article basically saying "other then the screen breaking when it's folded, the folding screen phone is great!" Like what other reason would you want the phone then to have that gimmick

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
I don't know what's a dumber use of OLED technology, that foldable phone or the roll-up TV

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

mandatory lesbian posted:

I absolutely love that article basically saying "other then the screen breaking when it's folded, the folding screen phone is great!" Like what other reason would you want the phone then to have that gimmick

My review of the F-35's VTOL capability.

Using the VTOL functionality breaks the plane. Other than that, good system.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't think I've read a review for that phone that doesn't end in "and then my phone broke"

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Chomp8645 posted:

My review of the F-35's VTOL capability.

Using the VTOL functionality breaks the plane. Other than that, good system.

Wow, the only positive thing said about a F35. :o

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mill Village posted:

I figured for two thousand loving dollars a foldable phone could actually fold without breaking immediately. Though this is Samsung we are talking about. They figured out how to make batteries explode.

The trick with batteries is to keep them from exploding actually. Batteries hold an astonishing amount of energy.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mill Village posted:

if you never figured out how to explode batteries as a child, you had a boring upbringing

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I love the nonstop marketing grift for new features on phones. Gotta keep adding poo poo every year to increase sales. It used to be useful additions, now it's just increasingly stupid poo poo to justify higher prices. Breathless handjobs by tech journalism means that every device, no matter how stupid, gets glowing reviews.
"Disintegrated into its constituent subatomic particles as soon as I unboxed it. 8.5/10"

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Idk it's one thing for phones to be competing over pointless gimmicks like how many cameras they can cram on each side. That reminds me of the arms race that happened over multi-blade disposable razers.

But flexible and folding screens would be pretty great and not just a marketing gimmick. That's a legit limiting factor on the design and usability at the moment. It looks like Samsung haven't cracked it yet, so god knows why they're proceeding with this release. Or maybe they have cracked it, that seems to be a major problem with these screens :v:

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I'm getting a new boss in July and will have zero input on who he is

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

pushpins posted:

I'm getting a new boss in July and will have zero input on who he is

Did you expect to?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Half of England Is Owned by Less Than 1% of Its Population, Researcher Says https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/19/world/europe/england-land-inequality.html

This is fine.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
The UK is doing well this year.

Are You a Very English Butler? The U.K. Government Needs You https://nyti.ms/2vdoWdm

quote:

LONDON — Of the current vacancies in the British government’s hundreds of job listings for policy and strategy advisers, one stands out. Wanted: two butlers.

Duties include delivering “the highest quality V.I.P. hospitality for all government departments and ministers” and managing the government’s wine cellar.

Maximum annual salary: 30,000 pounds (not quite $40,000).

U.K. Defends Buying $16 Million New York Penthouse for Diplomat https://nyti.ms/2YmL2HI

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

other people posted:

Half of England Is Owned by Less Than 1% of Its Population, Researcher Says https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/19/world/europe/england-land-inequality.html

This is fine.

a recent genetic analysis of the population and found that most of the British elite are mostly descended from the Norman conquest in 1066

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/jaboukie/status/1119702277751750656

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/carolinenooo/status/1119117861769768961?s=19

https://twitter.com/KREAYSHAWN/status/1119404326013685760?s=19

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

capitalism.png inception

https://twitter.com/KREAYSHAWN/status/1119453707727331328

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

other people posted:

U.K. Defends Buying $16 Million New York Penthouse for Diplomat https://nyti.ms/2YmL2HI

This came up recently for NZ too, our govt purchased something similar for ~$8m. It is actually a good idea and a sensible investment.

Ambassadors (and consuls) host a lot of events, that's like the bulk of their job, so the other options are renting something modest (for like $60-80k/year? idk I'm sure Manhattan rents aren't cheap but ambos and consuls have to live ~10 mins from the embassy for emergency reasons) and then paying venue hire for events (probably racking up like $100k/year easily), or just renting the penthouse for like... $200k/year? Either way the accom is going to be expensive.

This way the govt owns the capital rather than paying rents to private individuals, and will recoup the expenses within like 10 years anyway.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

bike tory posted:

This came up recently for NZ too, our govt purchased something similar for ~$8m. It is actually a good idea and a sensible investment.

Ambassadors (and consuls) host a lot of events, that's like the bulk of their job, so the other options are renting something modest (for like $60-80k/year? idk I'm sure Manhattan rents aren't cheap but ambos and consuls have to live ~10 mins from the embassy for emergency reasons) and then paying venue hire for events (probably racking up like $100k/year easily), or just renting the penthouse for like... $200k/year? Either way the accom is going to be expensive.

This way the govt owns the capital rather than paying rents to private individuals, and will recoup the expenses within like 10 years anyway.

They could've employed a butler for 400 years with that money!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

bike tory posted:

We're just a branch of America, we don't need diplomats

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

other people posted:

The UK is doing well this year.

Are You a Very English Butler? The U.K. Government Needs You https://nyti.ms/2vdoWdm

I'm guessing this post must be in London or something, which from what I understand is basically Los Angeles level housing unaffordability or even worse. A $40,000 equivalent pay has to be poverty level there.

Might as well say Wanted: two butlers to manage wine cellar, also to live in the wine cellar and steal the wine to sell on the side, because you will not be able to exist otherwise.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm guessing this post must be in London or something, which from what I understand is basically Los Angeles level housing unaffordability or even worse. A $40,000 equivalent pay has to be poverty level there.

Might as well say Wanted: two butlers to manage wine cellar, also to live in the wine cellar and steal the wine to sell on the side, because you will not be able to exist otherwise.

Don't butlers often get room/board at their place of butling?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tashilicious posted:

Don't butlers often get room/board at their place of butling?

Well most Butlers are vanity employment for rich folk to conspicuously flaunt their wealth. These would work for the government.

No idea how that goes.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

butlers can earn much much more than 30k, but they often hope to have a weird kind of codependent relationship with their master

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

butlers can earn much much more than 30k, but they often hope to have a weird kind of codependent relationship with their master

I think that only happens in batman and animes and anime batmans buddy

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
butlering is the absolute loving nadir of class consciousness

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Chomp8645 posted:

30k in London absolutely is "just about keeping your head above water, what is this emergency fund you talk of?!"-level. I guess butlers may save on oppressive rent by virtue of living in squalid servants quarters, though?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

an actual frog posted:

30k in London absolutely is "just about keeping your head above water, what is this emergency fund you talk of?!"-level. I guess butlers may save on oppressive rent by virtue of living in squalid servants quarters, though?

Reminds me, the diplomat's palace they bought in New York had staff bedrooms that were smaller than the walk-in closet for the diplomat's family.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011

:911:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Christ crucified on the cross of capitalism

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Thank you Jesus, Pibb be upon him

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014