Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Bloody Emissary posted:

A Way Out? got reverted to a previous version about two hours ago, by the way, so I'm currently trying to solve this:

Wait, there was a third version? I solved the original version with the skulls and this one, but I must have somehow missed the window in between.

Ariong posted:

This puzzle has the issue that a lot of later puzzles have where the number of rules is a little overwhelming and makes it difficult to do the math on which rules you need to construct. This puzzle in particular has a red herring in the form of BABA is PUSH. The way that that rule has two points of access surrounding it implies that you need to interact with it in some way, but you never touch it. In fact, I’m not sure why the rule is there at all. I can’t think of another level with a totally irrelevant rule.

I'm pretty sure my solution to "A Way Out?" wouldn't have worked without BABA IS PUSH.

• Push Keke so they're aligned with the bottom belt, against the right wall.
  • Put "IS PUSH" to Keke's left.
  • Form "KEKE IS MOVE"
  • Move Baba into the nook in the BELT IS SHIFT room.
  • Move Baba up as soon as "IS" is above it.
  • Return to the nook and repeat with PUSH forming BELT IS PUSH
  • Break BELT IS SHIFT
  • Use two conveyor belts to set up a left-pointing conveyor belt under ROCK
  • Take IS and PUSH out of the room, reform BELT IS SHIFT
  • Use the conveyor belts to form PUSH IS ROCK, then ROCK IS PUSH
  • FLAG IS END

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Asimov posted:

I just figured this out tonight after a while, here's a fairly revealing hint.

Flag and Baba are locked together and can't move horizontally too far without running into a deadly skull. Instead of trying to directly circumvent this, think about which objects can be pulled without requiring D-pad movement inputs, and how pull can be combined with move. This level taught me the timing of pull/move that wasn't intuitive at first but I guess make sense if that's the way the game rules function.

(Ghost Friend)

Yeah, I've tried everything I can think of:

• Have ghost pull FLAG text to Baba (GHOST is MOVE, GHOST is PULL): not possible because the ghost must move horizontally to get there and then can't be changed to vertical and also text can't be pulled
  • Have ghost pull Baba to FLAG text (GHOST is MOVE, GHOST is PULL): not possible because the ghost can't pull Baba, which surprised me
  • Have ghost push text over to flag (GHOST is MOVE): not possible because there's no way to stop the ghost from pushing it *past* FLAG
  • Win by ghost (GHOST is WIN): not possible because ghost is WEAK and can't be stepped on
  • Pull out IS WIN text as ghost (GHOST is MOVE, GHOST is PULL): not possible because text can't be pulled
  • Pull out IS WIN text as Baba (BABA is PULL): not possible because text can't be pulled
  • Have ghost or Baba pull hedge out of the way (GHOST is PULL and GHOST is MOVE, or BABA is PULL) not possible because HEDGE is STOP and can't be moved
  • Let flag die, go get flag text: not possible because no win condition can be made. FLAG IS WIN doesn't help because there's no flag and neither Baba nor Ghost can be redefined. There are no other nouns that can be made into Flag.

There's nothing but Baba and text in the reachable area, as far as I can tell, and I can't get the ghost to pull either. I can pull the ghost to change direction, but I can't figure out a way to make that help me. It kind of looks like I'm supposed to modify the GHOST is GHOST and WEAK rule, but I can't find a way to do that. The only other items that exist are fungus and skulls, neither of which is accessible and I don't see how they'd be helpful anyway.

I'm out of ideas and also GHOST doesn't look like a real word anymore.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Can I get a hint for Depths-3, "Crushers"? I've been stuck on it for a while, and I think it's now the only puzzle holding me back from significant new content.

I'm trying to get TEXT up to the row WEAK is on so I can push them both to make LEVEL IS TEXT. I'm trying to do that by pushing it with a stack, but I need seven objects to do that without dying and I can only manage six: There are nine accessible objects including that column's skull, but I have to destroy one of the three out of the rightmost room, destroy a second to break BELT IS SHIFT and use a third to turn the adjacent skull to face upwards.

I've experimented with self-propulsion, but with the same problem; I need two objects to prevent TEXT from overshooting, three for TEXT IS SHIFT and two to do the propulsion; that's seven, and since the skull doesn't seem to be helpful in this case I only have six available. I don't think I can make SHIFT itself self-propelling, because the only thing I've been able to overlap it with is BELT and TEXT IS BELT naturally goes poorly.

Any suggestions? Any obvious false assumptions I'm making?

edit: I did try LEVEL IS SHIFT. It was hilarious but didn't seem to help.

edit2: Never mind, I found the ridiculously obvious thing I was missing.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 19, 2019

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

guppy posted:

(Ghost Friend)
  • Have ghost pull Baba to FLAG text (GHOST is MOVE, GHOST is PULL): not possible because the ghost can't pull Baba, which surprised me

Take another look at this one. Additional hint: What does "X is PULL" mean?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

NRVNQSR posted:

Take another look at this one. Additional hint: What does "X is PULL" mean?

Thanks, this was my mental block. I frequently get confused about PULL and incorrectly believe X IS PULL means that X can pull things, while it really means X can be pulled.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I'm at 135+ dandelion seeds and solved skull house in under 10 minutes and did all combos of fragile existence / hostile environment which i got a real kick out of. By now there's like a dozen levels i've been going back to regularly only to say "this is either impossible or requires some gamebreaking interaction that i haven't brute forced/lucked into noticing yet" half an hour later. I've noticed especially levels with heavy "ON" usage explode the combinatorial options so much they make my eyes glaze over.

Would be neat if the game just kept previous variants of levels as "level<x>_deprecated_v01.lua" or something so we could swap it out once we solved the most up to date version. Or maybe label the different versions somewhat so people know which specific one they're talking about if there are differences between versions? That's mostly nitpicking obviously.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Would be neat if the game just kept previous variants of levels as "level<x>_deprecated_v01.lua" or something so we could swap it out once we solved the most up to date version. Or maybe label the different versions somewhat so people know which specific one they're talking about if there are differences between versions? That's mostly nitpicking obviously.

Yeah, it's kind of confusing to keep track of. Your mention of Skull House made me go back to it and realize that I've never played Lovely House, since it was added after I played that world. I guess I must have beaten Eye of a Needle since Lovely House was marked as complete, but I couldn't tell you anything about it.

Speaking of Lovely House, looking at it now it does seem like a very sensible stepping stone to Skull House which always seems to be called out as giving people trouble. I'm curious; for people who played post-Lovely House, which was harder: Solving Lovely House, or going from Lovely House's solution to Skull House's?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I need to stop overthinking every single puzzle apparently lmao

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

NRVNQSR posted:

Speaking of Lovely House, looking at it now it does seem like a very sensible stepping stone to Skull House which always seems to be called out as giving people trouble. I'm curious; for people who played post-Lovely House, which was harder: Solving Lovely House, or going from Lovely House's solution to Skull House's?

I was completely stuck on skull house before the update hit. But then I saw lovely house and immediately knew the solution to both levels. It's a good stepping stone.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm curious; for people who played post-Lovely House, which was harder: Solving Lovely House, or going from Lovely House's solution to Skull House's?
The first probably took me a bit longer to grasp the "this doesn't really make sense at all but sure, i'll play along" solution and from then Skull House was a nice logical follow up. It's a great display of how additional tutorial-ish levels can lead you to some of the absolutely absurd stuff you can (and eventually need to) do.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I don't have a level called Lovely House, presumably because I'm playing the Switch version. Any idea when it's coming to Switch? I'm stuck on Skull House so I'd definitely like to have a stepping stone.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Edly posted:

I don't have a level called Lovely House, presumably because I'm playing the Switch version. Any idea when it's coming to Switch? I'm stuck on Skull House so I'd definitely like to have a stepping stone.

That's a question for Hempuli, but console patches can take a while to get approval so I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'm not sure how useful it will be without the ability to poke around for yourself but for what it's worth this is what Lovely House looks like:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

To be honest there probably isn't much reason to postpone setting up a new Switch patch - the main problem is that if something breaks hard, Switch users will have to deal with the problem for longer so we have to be more careful. I'll discuss if we could get one up this weekend (although it'll still take until next week before it'd be up.)

Not-edit-because-I-didn't-post-this-yet: Yeah looks like we'll try to set up a Switch patch over Easter.

There have been some requests for releasing the changed/unused levels or marking edited/tweaked levels - I don't mind the idea but the problem is that new players don't have a point of reference for the changes so if we implement something like that, it'd need to either be a completely separate package or somehow smartly read the player's save file to see if they've seen the levels before.

I posted this on Twitter already but I really like the effect of removing the cooldown from holding buttons:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
The Deadly Rooms of Death series has a bonus area in every game that shows off concept art, developer commentary, and prototype level designs. For a similar effect you could add a cutting room floor area to the Center to show off old versions of existing levels. It's fun stuff for players to get to see even if they don't have the full context of the changes that were made and why

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

That's a question for Hempuli, but console patches can take a while to get approval so I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'm not sure how useful it will be without the ability to poke around for yourself but for what it's worth this is what Lovely House looks like:

Yep, this did the trick, thanks!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If/when a level editor with steam workshop happens, you could always release old level versions with commentary that way Hempuli

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

EMPTY breaks my tiny brain in all kinds of ways. And then I found ALL and they started showing up on the same maps and ahhhh.

Fragile Existence: I turned the level into BABA just to see what would happen and now I can't get back into the level to do anything else with it. Is there a way to undo that? :ohdear:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

mistaya posted:

EMPTY breaks my tiny brain in all kinds of ways. And then I found ALL and they started showing up on the same maps and ahhhh.

Fragile Existence: I turned the level into BABA just to see what would happen and now I can't get back into the level to do anything else with it. Is there a way to undo that? :ohdear:

You can reenter by putting baba under the cursor

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Can someone give me a hint for ABC-4, Queue? I’m positive that I have to overlap text to create BABA [ I / KEKE ] [ S / IS] PUSH but I can’t figure out how to do that. The only way I have even concieved of is to use the sentence ICE NEAR KEKE IS TELE to make a one-way teleporter, but that doesn’t work.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ariong posted:

Can someone give me a hint for ABC-4, Queue? I’m positive that I have to overlap text to create BABA [ I / KEKE ] [ S / IS] PUSH but I can’t figure out how to do that. The only way I have even concieved of is to use the sentence ICE NEAR KEKE IS TELE to make a one-way teleporter, but that doesn’t work.

You were on the right track. You probably made the same mistake I did when trying that though...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

McFrugal posted:

You were on the right track. You probably made the same mistake I did when trying that though...

Care to elaborate? My current setup is the higher ice block has been moved to the space directly above keke, and the lower ice block is in the same place it was when the level started. Other than the rules inside the walls which I cannot change, the only rule I have active is ICE NEAR KEKE IS TELE. When I move my skull on top of the ice above keke, it does not teleport. If I add the rule ICE IS FLOAT and move a block of text onto the ice above keke, the text does not teleport.

What is my error?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ariong posted:

Care to elaborate? My current setup is the higher ice block has been moved to the space directly above keke, and the lower ice block is in the same place it was when the level started. Other than the rules inside the walls which I cannot change, the only rule I have active is ICE NEAR KEKE IS TELE. When I move my skull on top of the ice above keke, it does not teleport. If I add the rule ICE IS FLOAT and move a block of text onto the ice above keke, the text does not teleport.

What is my error?

What? That's weird. I thought I did that and it worked. There's a slightly different setup that accomplishes the same thing though.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Ariong posted:

What is my error?

You can't make one-way teleporters by making one part of the TELE chain conditional. If TELE is only applicable to ICE NEAR KEKE then ICE NEAR KEKE acts like a single "object type" in terms of a TELE chain.

You can use FLOAT to achieve the result you're expecting out of this.

More specifically:

If ICE NEAR KEKE is FLOAT and ICE is TELE, you can push text into the ICE NEAR KEKE and it'll teleport onto another ICE tile. If that ICE tile already has TEXT on it, they'll overlap as desired; since TEXT is FLOAT, the non-floating ICE tile won't teleport either of them back to the ICE NEAR KEKE.

Bloody Emissary fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 20, 2019

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ah, clever.

EDIT: I hope there are more letter block levels.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 20, 2019

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
In Tectonic Movement (Mountaintop 10-8), are you supposed to use more than one pillar? I only needed one.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Bloody Emissary posted:

In Tectonic Movement (Mountaintop 10-8), are you supposed to use more than one pillar? I only needed one.
I did, if only to sink the second before the flag

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Sort of spoilers for Garden - Extra 2 "Out at Sea".

Is it always the case that a stack of two PUSH objects, only one of which is OPEN, cannot be pushed into something that is SHUT and STOP? Or is it dependent on order of creation? I was able to separate them and solve the puzzle, but it felt a little counterintuitive that it didn't work with both together.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I cant loving believe my solution for further fields worked. I know for sure it isn't the "right" one because it depends on a very precise order-of-hidden-operations gambit that i needed to restart 4 times for to work but gently caress it, i can't for the life of me find another and i was so stoked when it actually all came together after 20 minutes of tinkering. :toot:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 20, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I cant loving believe my solution for further fields worked. I know for sure it isn't the "right" one because it depends on a very precise order-of-hidden-operations gambit that i needed to restart 4 times for to work but gently caress it, i can't for the life of me find another and i was so stoked when it actually all came together after 20 minutes of tinkering. :toot:

The 'real' answer is similar, it just involves pushing keke across before auto-reassembling keke is you and then just walking keke down to the flag.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Again, i love that these solutions both can coexist so idiots like me who love to overthink things can eventually get there too.

It only bites me later when the solution was actually a lesson i was supposed to notice for a follow up continuation level. :v:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bloody Emissary posted:

I am really curious as to how you managed that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There are two levels on the hidden flower-shaped map with LEVEL IS tiles in them for an apparent meta puzzle, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get either one.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hempuli posted:

There have been some requests for releasing the changed/unused levels or marking edited/tweaked levels - I don't mind the idea but the problem is that new players don't have a point of reference for the changes so if we implement something like that, it'd need to either be a completely separate package or somehow smartly read the player's save file to see if they've seen the levels before.
I think that unlocking those extra/alternative levels would be a sweet reward for completing the game and then you would be sure that people played it as it was intended first.

You could also have the option additionally available to people who don't finish after they enter a good old cheat code.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 20, 2019

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

sticklefifer posted:

There are two levels on the hidden flower-shaped map with LEVEL IS tiles in them for an apparent meta puzzle, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get either one.

You really should spoiler tag that.

Hint 1: You only need to change one of the levels.

Hint 2: That level is 7, Further Fields.

Hint 3: You can’t move LEVEL, so you’ll have to build the rule from where LEVEL already is.

Hint 4: You can move BABA, but there’s no way to make anything else YOU, so the sentence BABA IS YOU must remain intact.

Biggest Hint: The sentence you want to make has five words, and the fourth one is AND.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Hokay...Completion Numbers: 221 levels, 11 blossoms, 3 orbs. All areas complete except for ???

I have not even the slightest idea what I could be missing there. Any gentle nudges? I found the level in the rock. Seems to be breaking the rules

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

McFrugal posted:

I am really curious as to how you managed that.

Use a text block to sink CLOUD instead of the second pillar. For extra humor value use the PILLAR text to do it (like I did). :v:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bloody Emissary posted:

Use a text block to sink CLOUD instead of the second pillar. For extra humor value use the PILLAR text to do it (like I did). :v:

Hmm, I see how that works. A nice alternate solution that doesn't quite ignore the main gimmicks of the level.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Qylvaran posted:

Any gentle nudges? I found the level in the rock. Seems to be breaking the rules

It's hard to tell what you do or don't have already. When you say all areas complete except ???: have those other areas just lost the glowy outline around their box, or do they have a flower blooming around them? For 100% completion you should have three boxes in the top left of the overworld, all bloomed, plus blooms on the overworld and ??? - you can check those two from their boxes in Depths, among other places.

Progressive spoilers for some you might be missing, assuming you're on PC:

There are two more rule-breaking levels like the rock one, non-level objects that the cursor can move onto without transforming.

One is in ???, one is in Meta.

You probably already have one of them, since it usually gives one of the three orbs. You should try both again, though, because levels have moved in patches.

???: There aren't many objects to try.

Meta: The object you're looking for has a unique look.

Meta: It's in an area you have no other reason to go to.

Other than that I can think of three possible places to start looking:

If an object has an accessible word in Depths or Meta it almost certainly needs to be turned into a level. The only exceptions are there are no exceptions.

Levels might have been added in patches to worlds you've already bloomed; it's worth going back through them and looking for uncompleted levels.

Double check that any levels you've turned into objects have also been completed; the two on the overworld map are easy to overlook, for example.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Can i just get a quick yes/no confirmation (no specifics) on Mean Fence that i need some external item from the overmap to use in or circumvent the level somehow that way? The available options in that one seem so limited that after a few hours i'm starting to be in denial that you aren't actually meant to solve it (hence the "mean") in its original state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Can i just get a quick yes/no confirmation (no specifics) on Mean Fence that i need some external item from the overmap to use in or circumvent the level somehow that way? The available options in that one seem so limited that after a few hours i'm starting to be in denial that you aren't actually meant to solve it (hence the "mean") in its original state.

I just beat that one! No.