Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I always really liked FF8's monster designs. I think triple triad helped sink them in more. I just generally adore FF8's aesthetics though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Great Trench dungeon in FF5 freaked me out solid the first time I played through it, since you encounter these hosed up fleshy nightmare enemies that have no name

I don’t mean they have something like Nameless in the enemy list, I mean no name shows up. It’s blank. And they’re all you fight down there besides the boss.

The best part is when you realize the enemies you’ve been fighting are the undead remains of a single monster- you’re fighting groups of skin husks, organs, and viscera.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The White Dragon posted:

nomura just needed to write a job for barret

Elentor posted:

I cannot believe that I'm going to both argue with twd my homie and defend nomura on the same post so this must be the fever

is this some thread in-joke meme I've missed

Tetsuya Nomura did not write Final Fantasy VII

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

is this some thread in-joke meme I've missed

Tetsuya Nomura did not write Final Fantasy VII

he was the director/concept person for a lot of the EU stuff

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

morallyobjected posted:

And they're letting him direct the remake with that resume!?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

No he wasn't.

The director of DoC was Takayoshi Nakazato and the writer was Hiroki Chiba
The director of Crisis Core was Hajime Tabata and the writer was Kazushige Nojima
The director of Before Crisis was Hajime Tabata AGAIN and the writer was Sachie Hirano with Nojima credited on scenario design.
He was the director of Advent Children but not the concept (he was asked to direct it) and he co-directed with Takeshi Nozue

Mega64 posted:

And they're letting him direct the remake with that resume!?

That isn't his Resume.

The guy whose resume it mostly is directed FFXV.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 20, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There seems to be a lot of confusion here, so let me clarify some things.

I am the one who wrote FF7.

And before you ask, yes, my original intent was to have Cait Sith replaced by the much more compelling character Iscar Matthias, but budget constraints and censorship laws wouldn't allow me to tell his story the way it should have been told. Blame the *@!%ing executives on that one.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mega64 posted:

There seems to be a lot of confusion here, so let me clarify some things.

I am the one who wrote FF7.

And before you ask, yes, my original intent was to have Cait Sith replaced by the much more compelling character Iscar Matthias, but budget constraints and censorship laws wouldn't allow me to tell his story the way it should have been told. Blame the *@!%ing executives on that one.

I thought he was going to be replaced by a guy named Judas?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rirse posted:

I thought he was going to be replaced by a guy named Judas?

That's what we wanted to name the cannon, but we couldn't get the rights from Judas Priest.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

http://www.bogleech.com/ffvii.html

FFVII has always had the best and most diverse monster designs in the series so far as I know.

Although, while we're vaguely on the topic, FFX's Behemoth was always my favorite incarnation of this staple monster.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

No he wasn't.

The director of DoC was Takayoshi Nakazato and the writer was Hiroki Chiba
The director of Crisis Core was Hajime Tabata and the writer was Kazushige Nojima
The director of Before Crisis was Hajime Tabata AGAIN and the writer was Sachie Hirano with Nojima credited on scenario design.
He was the director of Advent Children but not the concept (he was asked to direct it) and he co-directed with Takeshi Nozue

That isn't his Resume.

isn't Advent Children mostly what people complain about anyway? and Wiki says he was concept on BC but I dunno. doesn't really matter to me--I just did like 30 seconds of internet research.

either way, I have nothing against Nomura like some people here seem to. I hope Square pays him to do his thing forever.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Dirge of Cerberus is terrible. I think AC's reception is kinda negative outside of "poo poo looks cool" but I never watched it so can't really say.

Crisis Core is supposed to be Actually Good, and the rest of the stuff is forgettable. But then I never really dived into the FF7 EU so I'm going on hearsay more than anything.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I love the monster design in FF7 but to this day think FF6 has the most memorable monsters because a) it was the pinnacle of 2D FF monster art and b) FF7 went out of its way to hide the names from you so I remember way more of the enemies from 6.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
FFIX is def shorter than I remember. I'm "on disc 2" and it fees like I've barely played it. My characters are all sub-level 10 too.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Alec Eiffel posted:

FFIX is def shorter than I remember. I'm "on disc 2" and it fees like I've barely played it. My characters are all sub-level 10 too.

Holy crap. I’m usually like level 12 by the time I leave the Evil Forest

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't his Resume.

he only directed the part of ff15 that took a decade to produce and then scrap

mostly he directed kingdom hearts

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The White Dragon posted:

So he basically made some concept CG movies while being stretched in a million other directions.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
A thought occurred to me. FF7, and a little bit more elaborately Advent Children, suggests that because Sephiroth is essentially Jenova's child, and also because he's a crazy rear end in a top hat, but mostly because of the whole "part eldritch Parasite Eve", he is removed from the Lifestream entirely and literally cannot join it, and can come back to the living world by whatever bullshit. So does that mean Sephiroth will eventually win? Cus Cloud and the rest of the FF7 crew aren't going to be around forever, 500 years later the only one we see left is Nanaki.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

... did you literally just ignore what I wrote?

Jesus loving christ the hate-boners for Nomura in this thread are absolutely bewildering. The director of FFXV, former S-E employer Hajime Tabata, is the one who directed most of the FFVII EU. Not Nomura, who directed one movie.

morallyobjected posted:

isn't Advent Children mostly what people complain about anyway?

No. I mean AC is part of it but if AC was all that existed I don't think anyone would care. You hear a lot more people complaining about Dirge of Cerberus and Gackt in Crisis Core and the random bits of plot nonsense in Before Crisis. AC is honestly a pretty thin-on-plot movie. "Cloud is sick, Sephiroth comes back, Cloud beats Sephrioth again, everyone lives happily ever after." It's a thin and basically pure fanservice movie but it doesn't actually impact the plot at all.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 20, 2019

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Aeris' Deus Ex Machina at the end of AC means she cleansed the Lifestream of Jenova and that's why people's diseases got away.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Elentor posted:

I think Aeris' Deus Ex Machina at the end of AC means she cleansed the Lifestream of Jenova and that's why people's diseases got away.

So, in a way, Aeris Sephirothed Jenova.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember the whole FF7 and FF10 share the same world thing.

Let's use our heads for a second.

Sephiroth is Yuna.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

... did you literally just ignore what I wrote?

Jesus loving christ the hate-boners for Nomura in this thread are absolutely bewildering. The director of FFXV, former S-E employer Hajime Tabata, is the one who directed most of the FFVII EU. Not Nomura, who directed one movie.

i thought tabata was brought in later in ff15's dev cycle and he whipped that project into shape?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

One day I will write FFX-4 and the ending will reveal that Brother is Cloud's father.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i thought tabata was brought in later in ff15's dev cycle and he whipped that project into shape?

As far as we are informed Nomura was the listed-as director of FFXIII Versus and once it shifted to FFXV (which apparently meant it was an entirely different game which just reused some stuff they had done already) it was Tabata directing while Nomura was working on KH3.

But that isn't really relevant as if you're terrified of the FF7 EU and wondering why they'd let people responsible for it direct a game, FFXV as it exists is the one that matters because Tabata is responsible for that.

(That said I think CC gets unfairly knocked around because of Gackt)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
go figure. ff15 is one of my favorite games of all time lol

that explains a lot about the warping swords and poo poo though

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

(That said I think CC gets unfairly knocked around because of Gackt)

It's hard to compare when they had freaking David Bowie in FF2.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

When you think about it, the real Sephiroth was all the clones we made along the way.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I thought Aerith only cures the Geostigma of people who went to her church to get healed? Wouldn't that mean that someone out there might still have Geostigma and vulnerable to be turned into a Sephiroth? And what do you think Sephiroth does with his time while he's dead?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I liked CC a lot, it was probably the best the FF7 EU had to offer, but even as a baka gaijin knowing nothing about Gackt, it was extremely obvious that Genesis was some Poochie bullshit and the story would have been that much better if it had just focused on the relationships between Zack, Angeal, and Sephiroth. And honestly even Angeal was pushing it a bit, the story probably would have benefited quite a bit from being pared down to the adventures of Cloud's two dads.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I spent a bit thinking about this horrifying truth but I think Dirge of Cerberus inches closer to the "so bad it has some good" than Advent Children which was largely just pretty eye-candy

Like Advent Children doesn't have anything like that one moment where Reeve dies but turns out to be a hollow robot piloted by Cait Sith who is assumedly still being piloted by Reeve remotely

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What's wrong with Gackt? I think the only reason to dislike his inclusion is that the licencing makes rereleases a nightmare.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man FF2, why do I have to lose Leila, she went from only having 240 HP when I first got her to having 2000 HP. Wish she was the final fourth party member instead of Leon. Her replacement Richard joined at 550 HP...which is not a good trade off.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love Gackt but for the exact reason that he made licensing his horrible character impossible.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The real horrifying truth about Cait Sith is the moment when you realize that Cait Sith isn't being piloted by anybody.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gologle posted:

The real horrifying truth about Cait Sith is the moment when you realize that Cait Sith isn't being piloted by anybody.

everyone knows cait sith #2 is just an esper anyway

the moogle is still under reeve's control though

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reeve is actually the robot. He's being controlled by Iscar Matthias

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rirse posted:

Man FF2, why do I have to lose Leila, she went from only having 240 HP when I first got her to having 2000 HP. Wish she was the final fourth party member instead of Leon. Her replacement Richard joined at 550 HP...which is not a good trade off.

This is one of FF2's many problems. I had the exact same experience with the exact same character. I grinded something fierce with her in my party to start beating those Gigas enemies.Got everyone really high Magic and then she goes away.

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's wrong with Gackt? I think the only reason to dislike his inclusion is that the licencing makes rereleases a nightmare.

He has some good songs.

Although, compared to ten years ago, J-Rock and J-Pop appear to have gone out of fashion "in the West."

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Merilan posted:

I spent a bit thinking about this horrifying truth but I think Dirge of Cerberus inches closer to the "so bad it has some good" than Advent Children which was largely just pretty eye-candy

Like Advent Children doesn't have anything like that one moment where Reeve dies but turns out to be a hollow robot piloted by Cait Sith who is assumedly still being piloted by Reeve remotely

Dirge of Cerberus is bad. It's not the worst ever, but god drat. Definitely one of the worst games I've played to completion, but still better than DA:I. And I guess better than every game that I quit after a few hours by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crisis Core has a lot of issues but I think it genuinely is the only time they really handle Sephiroth well. You get to see him before he goes batshit insane and he actually genuinely comes across as human with his interactions with Zack which make him going full batshit feel more significant. The Genesis stuff is ignorable but I really think it is the rare case of an EU thing which helps several of its cast members. Giving Zack and Aerith more screentime that isn't Cloud-focused is also nice and the two characters have a ton of chemistry together. (Which makes sense since their VAs are married.)

I don't disagree they could have turfed the Genesis stuff and focused on other things and it would have been an improvment but Random Prequel Baddy Syndrome is something I'm so used to that it didn't bug me as much.

It also has what I genuinely feel is the strongest ending in a FF game, not in the least because The Price of Freedom is probably in my top 3 Final Fantasy songs period.