Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/rin5_ringo/status/1118358549116194818

!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It Can't Be Mutual Love!!

middle-aged men and unrequited love :kimchi:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That girl's got a hat

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
https://mangadex.org/title/32297/prison-town-he-youkoso

From the author of Blind Girl and Monster Girl and Demon King's Pet, a series about a human girl who wanders into a prison town for monster girls and is promptly forced to marry a frankenstein girl. Neji's got a very distinct wheelhouse and sees no reason to depart from it.

https://mangadex.org/title/34850/hino-san-no-baka

Good girl class rep tries to get a delinquent girl to stop skipping class and is mercilessly flirted with.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DisDisDis posted:

Himegoto is the greatest modern romance.

:same:

i should reread it

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Rodyle posted:

That girl's got a hat

Any bigger, and the hat would have a girl.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Himegoto is how you do problematic melodrama right, because like... the characters are actually interesting lol.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Adachi and Shimamura, a popular Yuri LN, is getting TL'd on Dynasty. I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Both of the protags being, like, soft delinquent is a dynamic I haven't really seen before.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Spiritus Nox posted:

Adachi and Shimamura, a popular Yuri LN, is getting TL'd on Dynasty. I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Both of the protags being, like, soft delinquent is a dynamic I haven't really seen before.

"Soft delinquents"
wait that sounds familiar....
https://mangadex.org/title/21974/adachi-to-shimamura
there is a manga adaption of this as well that the tl recently got picked up again

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Himegoto is how you do problematic melodrama right, because like... the characters are actually interesting lol.

It's not problematic or melodrama but have you tried reading Gunjou?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DisDisDis posted:

i never wanted to read it because the covers are always visually off putting to me lol

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

I think I gave up on Gunjou when the lesbian main character's ex just kinda randomly drowned in her own bathtub in a side chapter.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
wow, i guess our tastes aren't as universally the same as i thought

anyway it's super depressing (much more than something like himegoto) but also really cathartic and good

e; yeah that's the one bit that felt kind of contrived to me and I didn't care for cuz I thought the whole bit of her getting over her extremely lovely ex and learning to live happily on her own was great. it drives character development for the protagonists but I think she could have accomplished the same thing for her characters without that.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 19, 2019

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DisDisDis posted:

wow, i guess our tastes aren't as universally the same as i thought

I am a radical twee pop listener, our tastes were always going to one day diverge....
*walks away, in the rain*

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/still_sick_ch07

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

ZiegeDame posted:

New Still Sick.

It's happening. :gay:

:colbert:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
oh that was ch.7? wild

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Someone finally posted the extra after 4 years so I re-read Itsuka Tomodachi ja Nakunaru to Shite mo and it's still good.

I'm hoping more of this artist's stuff gets translated since she's got a neat style and draws really good old men (same person did the manga I linked a few posts back) :3:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 19, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
https://mangadex.org/title/22412/futari-monologue

this is kinda cute.

Snooze Cruise posted:

I thought it was nice how the horrible guy who was friends with the tomboyish girl apparently managed to grow into not a completely awful human being. :unsmith:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
webtoon roundup
some BL webtoons I've run across recently -- I'm not going to pull up links because :effort: but would suggest reading the legit version if you are able, not all of them have an official English translation though so you'll have to find them wherever you read stuff.

Dear Door
A police officer gets pulled into a supernatural war because he's a "door" i.e. his body is a portal that lets demons enter the normal world (or something I'm not sure it's been 100% explained yet). Some NC since the whole "door" process is happening against his will. MC is very badass despite being a mortal fighting demons.

Fate Makes No Mistakes
This one just started so the plot is still sort of mysterious, but a normal guy is possessed by a ghost and gets mixed up with reapers and goblins after he was supposed to die and a goblin intervenes. The art is really nice (largely why I started reading it to begin with) and there seems to be some intrigue or factions in conflict on the supernatural side of things. The goblins use sex as a transaction for food/energy and possibly other types of magic so this one will probably be pretty lewd FYI.

A Thousand Cranes
On his way home after work Craig accidentally witnesses a mob hit and sees the hitman. They track him down but instead of killing him he ends up dating the hitman :3: This one has been surprisingly sweet, the hitman (Dean) has the whole "reluctant killer" thing going on where he was born into the life and wants out, plus there's gangster power struggle plot happening all around them.

For Your Love
After watching his older brother suffer through an unrequited love Yohan swears off all that love poo poo, but notices an older classmate pining after another boy and decides to get involved so that guy's love doesn't end up the way his brother's did. Basically he's a huge busybody and gets all up in this guy's business but starts to realize there's more to being in love than he thought. The facial expressions and attitudes of the characters really make this one -- I was howling at some of the panels, and it's got enough angst to be more than just a romcom. Yohan is a dumbass but he's also a really good guy who is easy to root for :3:

Midnightmare
Another supernatural one, I have really no idea what is going on in this one yet. There are different factions of supernatural creatures (night hags and lamias and maybe some other stuff, idk???) and the MC, Grey, is a cambion who is half night hag. He's got a crush on Ethan, a salaryman who is a regular at the cafe Grey works at; Grey enters his dreams at night (because that's what night hags do) but he doesn't feed off Ethan just checks on him and tucks him in :3: There's some kind of conflict between the hags and the lamias but nothing has been fully explained yet -- tbh I'm just here for the art on this one right now because it is gorgeous.

Broken Season
This one is a drama; the MCs start out as childhood friends then become lovers in college, then there's a time skip to 10 years later (I don't want to plot spoil this one too much tbh). Everyone is sort of angsty and has baggage but it hasn't been terribly soap-ish so far -- all the characters' motivations have made sense and none of them are blatantly villainous which was nice since there is a love triangle and it would have been easy to make the 3rd person nasty but they are all pretty sympathetic. If you're tired of fluff this one is a good change.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
since 1-nen a gumi no monster is technically a romance manga and I want to talk about it... :v:

Banri is completely out of her mind, and I really wonder if Jimi was sexually assaulted by a woman at some point, possibly a student or teacher, also possibly that he then killed? Throwing up when a girl kisses you is kind of an extreme reaction that suggests something along those lines...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

My guess is a girl from his previous school hit on him but he didn't reciprocate, so she committed suicide. However rumours got out that he murdered her because she rejected his advances or something.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

My guess is a girl from his previous school hit on him but he didn't reciprocate, so she committed suicide. However rumours got out that he murdered her because she rejected his advances or something.

I feel like if that was the case, he'd have been more upset by Banri's, well... Everything than he was by Momo kissing him.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'd been avoiding Yuri Is My Job for a little bit because the premise sounded like it might have been a bit of a mean-spirited takedown sort of piece, but the first two volumes wound up being a real delight to binge. Kinda reminds me a bit of Useless Princesse, but with wider extremes of comedy and drama. Real good at both ends, though. No fan TL, but the licensed translations seem to be coming out at a good clip, so that's nice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Accept My Fist of Love, in which takebe continues to be adorably gullible

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
New Yona, where things happen.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'd been avoiding Yuri Is My Job for a little bit because the premise sounded like it might have been a bit of a mean-spirited takedown sort of piece, but the first two volumes wound up being a real delight to binge. Kinda reminds me a bit of Useless Princesse, but with wider extremes of comedy and drama. Real good at both ends, though. No fan TL, but the licensed translations seem to be coming out at a good clip, so that's nice.

There are fan TLs of the first two chapters under the JP title, Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto Desu! but it looks like both scanlation groups that worked on it have dropped it at this point. It's enough to give you an idea of what it's like if you're on the fence, anyway. I've enjoyed what I've read of it so far, but unfortunately my copy of Volume 2 is still stuck in Amazon shipping purgatory.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

New series with a good tag.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/luminousblue_ch01

The tag is lizard.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Brainamp posted:

The tag is lizard.
It was the best of tags, it is the best of tags.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There is a better tag. Ham.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

There is a better tag. Ham.
Is this the true power of pork? :raise:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That teacher is extremely powerful

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Spiritus Nox posted:

I tracked this down and I ended up really liking it, thank you. Weirdly, the ambiguous line between the characters' real and performative selves made it read like a story about pro wrestling, only instead of punching each other they're just pretending to be really posh

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't read them yet but for anyone who still cares, Mizutama Honey Boy got a couple of new chapters.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Everything Burrito posted:

I haven't read them yet but for anyone who still cares, Mizutama Honey Boy got a couple of new chapters.

they're pretty good and the Best Girl finally gets her day to shine a bit because one of Nanao's brothers decided he was into her

Nadeshiko is Good

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Terry van Feleday posted:

I tracked this down and I ended up really liking it, thank you. Weirdly, the ambiguous line between the characters' real and performative selves made it read like a story about pro wrestling, only instead of punching each other they're just pretending to be really posh

The protagonist is also just kind of a lightly awful dumbass, though she's slowly getting better. I'd characterize the series as being about at least two characters with staggeringly low emotional intelligence even by romcom(dram?) standards.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Goddamn, I am reading that Living With my Brother's Wife series and it's very good and powerful and stuff. And I love that chapter 46 is one of the most directly fan-antagonistic chapters of pretty much anything I can think of. The author might as well be sitting there going "you. Yes, you. I see you there, shipping my characters. :smug:" it's hilarious.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Goddamn, I am reading that Living With my Brother's Wife series and it's very good and powerful and stuff. And I love that chapter 46 is one of the most directly fan-antagonistic chapters of pretty much anything I can think of. The author might as well be sitting there going "you. Yes, you. I see you there, shipping my characters. :smug:" it's hilarious.

You apparently have never read any Kuzushiro stuff before.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Outside of Akuma no Mama, nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Captain Invictus posted:

languid sigh