Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

You know it's time to quit when you sound like Mike from RLM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Are you loving serious with these backgrounds?? They're just photos they've run through a filter! It looks like an Archer crossover episode.
look, they had to cut costs somehow, and they'd already fired Alf Clausen

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Flannelette posted:

You know it's time to quit when you sound like Mike from RLM.

Mike voice: “How embarrassing.” *sad slide whistle noise*:(

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

The Moon Monster posted:

The Denmark episode was the first late Simpsons I've watched in quite awhile and good lord was it awful. There were some good Simpsons go to a place episodes back in the day but in the past, like, 2 decades they've reliably been some of the worst episodes.

There was one joke I really liked from the Denmark episode. They're being driven somewhere by a local guide and all laugh at speed trap sign reading "FART KONTROL".

Marge: Sorry, but in our language that means...
Guide: I know what it means in your language. I'm talking to you in your language.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I spent the summer of 1997 sitting in a mostly empty mansion in the suburbs of Kuala Lumpur making videos in Simpsons Cartoon Studio on an NEC running Windows 3.1. I guarantee that what I made was better than what's on the air today.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What's the story? Or are you just a Malaysian from a rich family?

e: getting ready to update my goon spreadsheet

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Phlegmish posted:

What's the story? Or are you just a Malaysian from a rich family?

e: getting ready to update my goon spreadsheet

My dad was on the expat package for a year but the company wasn't willing to fly us home for a summer on his first contract. He never made it to the second and I haven't been back to Malaysia since. Literally every other kid I went to school with was back in their home country during this period and I had not yet discovered masturbating so I had nothing better to do with my time.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Are you loving serious with these backgrounds?? They're just photos they've run through a filter! It looks like an Archer crossover episode.

I know we've all talked about it before, but the fact that everything besides the characters is all super detailed and the same color tone makes the show just look like this coagulated mess after a while. It reminds me of that Goblins webcomic from the old Webcomic Mock Threads.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Also cajun crawfish gets mentioned twice

They also pretend that Veggie Red Beans and Rice and Red Beans and Rice with Sausage are completely different, and that 'Po Boys are completely different depending on the filling. The list is heavily padded and could easily have been reduced to 45 seconds instead of being an unfunny and more expensive Rake gag

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They’re not still trying to apologize unnecessarily for the Streetcar Named Desire episode, are they?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Why would they apologize for super shreddy Neddy?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

They also pretend that Veggie Red Beans and Rice and Red Beans and Rice with Sausage are completely different, and that 'Po Boys are completely different depending on the filling. The list is heavily padded and could easily have been reduced to 45 seconds instead of being an unfunny and more expensive Rake gag

A lot of it is specific menu items from the actual restaurants in the backgrounds.

Which makes me realize why they're doing so many kiss-rear end travel episodes. They're taking trips on the show's dime

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ahh yes, the Adam Sandler’s Netflix Special” approach

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Plan Z posted:

I know we've all talked about it before, but the fact that everything besides the characters is all super detailed and the same color tone makes the show just look like this coagulated mess after a while. It reminds me of that Goblins webcomic from the old Webcomic Mock Threads.

Ha, that's a real good comparison. Personally watching clips from the new episodes gives me the ol' "hidden picture" vibes, in that my eyes just sort of give up trying to decipher what's on screen after a while and become unfocused.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

steinrokkan posted:

Ha, that's a real good comparison. Personally watching clips from the new episodes gives me the ol' "hidden picture" vibes, in that my eyes just sort of give up trying to decipher what's on screen after a while and become unfocused.

I think the writers and artists heard about "hidden details in TV shows" being a currently popular thing and took it really literally.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

I know that it's the most obvious thing about this clip, but drat, I still can't get over the fact that it's a minute and a half long! That's like, what, 7-8% of an episode which probably already has a full opening and credits? Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes bit was only 30 seconds!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Went from merely unfunny to weird and unnecessary

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Plan Z posted:

You can hear their throats giving out, but it also sounds like actors record their lines in different booths at different times.
Isn't this pretty common practice for voice acting nowadays? Schedules rarely seem to allow actors to record together. That's why good voice directors are important!

Applewhite posted:

It looks like that crappy cel-shaded 3D thing that Futurama, Family Guy, and a bunch of mid-2000s Newgrounds Flash animations used for moving backgrounds.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Kins posted:

Isn't this pretty common practice for voice acting nowadays? Schedules rarely seem to allow actors to record together. That's why good voice directors are important!
It looks like that crappy cel-shaded 3D thing that Futurama, Family Guy, and a bunch of mid-2000s Newgrounds Flash animations used for moving backgrounds.

Some are those and some are photoshop filtered photos.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Some are those and some are photoshop filtered photos.
Some are both! One was clearly cel-shaded but with a brick wall that was clearly photoshop filtered with some black lines drawn on in a futile attempt to make it blend in.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Applewhite posted:

This is funny too because Archer's backgrounds are honestly pretty stylish and good looking. They came up with a pretty novel way to handle CG in a way that looks hand-painted.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The Kins posted:

Some showrunners insist on it. Bob's Burgers' has the East Coast people (Jon Benjamin and Kevin Kline) skype in with the LA people (everyone else) because Loren Bouchard is such a believer in it. There's little touches in Bob's Burgers acting sometimes that you can only get from actors feeding off each others energy so I think it pays off.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Recording in separate studios at different times is exactly the same as Lucas having his actors play opposite a tennis ball on a stick

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Vookatos posted:

I know that it's the most obvious thing about this clip, but drat, I still can't get over the fact that it's a minute and a half long! That's like, what, 7-8% of an episode which probably already has a full opening and credits? Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes bit was only 30 seconds!

Seems common for bad cartoons like Family Guy and some of the worse Adult Swim shows. The AS shows kind of try to obfuscate it by pretending to be haute awkward humor but it feels like it goes as high as "This entire show is time-filler" sometimes. Family Guy is the most egregious with repeat time-killer gags like its Peter vs. Chicken bits or Peter scrapes his shin bits to name a few, on top of its awkward no-joke exchanges.

The Kins posted:

I didn't really know too much about this, but it makes sense. I know it's often that dialogue can sound bad because people will be in the booth in different times, but the Simpsons has to be the worst about it as characters sound like they're on different recording setups, not just absent from playing off each other.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Going back and reading the youtube comments makes me think the same people loving this trash would probably watching something like the Stonecutter's episode or 'Do it for her' episode and think its completely shitfuck.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Going back and reading the youtube comments makes me think the same people loving this trash would probably watching something like the Stonecutter's episode or 'Do it for her' episode and think its completely shitfuck.

I watch the old episodes on Youtube, and it's more like these people find most throwaway jokes hilarious or enjoy a joke without really knowing what it's going for. Like you'll see people who think Krusty's "Me so solly" bit is just funny on its own, or "'If I ever stop loving cartoon violence, kill me,' AHAHA lol the best line in the whole show!!!!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plan Z posted:

Seems common for bad cartoons like Family Guy and some of the worse Adult Swim shows. The AS shows kind of try to obfuscate it by pretending to be haute awkward humor but it feels like it goes as high as "This entire show is time-filler" sometimes. Family Guy is the most egregious with repeat time-killer gags like its Peter vs. Chicken bits or Peter scrapes his shin bits to name a few, on top of its awkward no-joke exchanges.

Uh-oh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxECJNYPuA

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Plan Z posted:

I watch the old episodes on Youtube, and it's more like these people find most throwaway jokes hilarious or enjoy a joke without really knowing what it's going for. Like you'll see people who think Krusty's "Me so solly" bit is just funny on its own, or "'If I ever stop loving cartoon violence, kill me,' AHAHA lol the best line in the whole show!!!!"

Baby boomers are a different species.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Can someone show me a screencap from that video where they think the background is through a Photoshop filter? I'm not seeing it

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Riptor posted:

Can someone show me a screencap from that video where they think the background is through a Photoshop filter? I'm not seeing it

I don't have a single screenshot but here's a gallery:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLFpTLEnrqU

Teik
Mar 2, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
imagine being the poor god drat korean animator who worked their entire life to get into the animation game and now has to go over photos of chair backs in some New Orleans restaurant with black lines

We didn't deserve 2021, it was too good for this world

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Plan Z posted:

I always hated those segments but I think they've dialed them back over the last few seasons.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cyril Sneer posted:

I always hated those segments but I think they've dialed them back over the last few seasons.

Put it this way, I get what they were trying to do, and it came so close to working, but then at the last minute the audience opinion of "it's funny in the same way the rake scene was funny" got overtaken by "no it's just stupid, this is not a new genre of comedy, knock it off"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Always just read as lazy to me.

"poo poo, we're short 3 minutes. Let's just throw in an entire Conway Twitty song"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh look, three girl characters who are ridiculously over designed and completely atonal to the general art style of the show who are interacting with Bart. I wonder which three comediennes who don't really need the exposure or care for current Simpsons but still agreed to guest star because come on, the show used to be good maybe this episode will be good they roped in

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Which non family member cast death would be the most devastating to the show? I posit Harry Shearer

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way

Calaveron posted:

Which non family member cast death would be the most devastating to the show? I posit Harry Shearer

E:I'm an idiot. You are correct.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Calaveron posted:

Oh look, three girl characters who are ridiculously over designed and completely atonal to the general art style of the show who are interacting with Bart. I wonder which three comediennes who don't really need the exposure or care for current Simpsons but still agreed to guest star because come on, the show used to be good maybe this episode will be good they roped in

Somewhere I read that celebrities and wannabe celebrities both like the Simpsons because getting a guest spot is a pretty big status symbol.

Teik
Mar 2, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Calaveron posted:

anything that brings the simpsons to an end faster is a good thing, not a bad one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Harvey Fierstein and Dustin Hoffman will guest star again and this time they'll allow themselves to be credited and it will sink their careers