Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I was watching a season 1 clip and I gotta give it to the directors, they made the smart choice about keeping the passage of time vague (till they completely threw it out the window last season that is), because holy poo poo

Had he been on that other "highest grossing show on TV" he would have been axed seasons ago for having the nerve of going through puberty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Should have been axed long ago for not being able to "act" when his job is actor.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

lezard_valeth posted:

Tormund has high chance of dieing.

I'm sure he'll bite it in some big battle, but I hope he survives. He's managed to scrape by and survive every big fight he's been in, and each one of those I was half-sure he wouldn't.

But then again, he's also a bit of a comic relief character when not killing everything in sight, so I'm not optimistic.

Happy making GBS threads!

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

If I were D&D and knew ahead of time that the gurm was never gonna finish his series, I would have cut from the start all the inconsequential plots that went nowhere (Dany loving around Qarth and Mereen too. The Sand Snakes plot could still be salvageable)

Remove Stannis, introduce Victarion instead.
Have Balon in his demented ideas of grandeur attempt to strike both the North and King's Landing at once while the Starks and Lannister are busy fighting. Send Victarion to protagonize the Blackwater Battle. (or alternatively don't introduce Victarion and have Balon do something and lead the attack himself)
Euron sneaks back from Valyria and is the one that uses magic to kill Renly causing the Tyrells to join forces with the Lannister and screw up the plans of his brother, setting up his election for the Kingsmoot.
Instead of Stannis attacking Mance Rayder's camp, have the WW do it, forcing Mance Rayder and the free folk to retreat and fortify in Hardhome. This sets up the possibility for negotiations with Jon Snow (I give you passage through the Wall if you help me with this bastard prick)
The only thing left to settle is where Melisandre comes from to resurrect Jon. Or just scrap her too. Have Bran do it. Give Bran something to do instead of handing cryptic pieces of trivia in the Winterfell patio

Also while you are at it, either tone down Ramsay or ham him up even more and have the Boltons be actual vampires. It would at least explain his shirtless victory against Yara.

I know D&D have been exposed as frauds but they still do better than what 95% of people would come up with.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

lezard_valeth posted:

Had he been on that other "highest grossing show on TV" he would have been axed seasons ago for having the nerve of going through puberty

Young Sheldon?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Roy Gato III posted:

I know D&D have been exposed as frauds but they still do better than what 95% of people would come up with.

I always try to take goon criticism with a bucket of salt, because when they inevitably share what they think makes high quality TV the result is typically laughable. Not that the criticisms themselves are necessarily bad or unwarranted, just provides me with a little perspective.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

beanieson posted:

Lmao is this a book only character?

Yes. His chapters rule because he's trying to marry Dany but she doesn't seem to know about the plan to ally with Dorne, so he can't get her attention. His chapters are all him going through the cities that her half-assed style of ruling has ruined.

Another book only character: Victarion Greyjoy. He's an insane pirate with a red priest by his side and a lava hand. He rules. Could have been in the show instead of the Sand Snakes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Though someone running around with a magical lava hand is definitely one of the first things you'd remove if you want tone down the fantasy stuff.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
"Insane" is a bit flattering. Mostly he's awesomely stupid.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Lava hand 🤔

E: I read the wiki which makes us sound more like a burnt hand and not lava, gotta say that’s pretty disappointing

beanieson fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 20, 2019

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

I forgot there used to be people who thought Stannis would win the Battle of Winterfell.

Another dumbass book theory that the show has blown up: Quentyn Martell successfully steals a dragon.

I refuse to believe anyone thought Quentyn would successfully steal a dragon. That's my go-to example of Martin becoming a predictable hack

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

beanieson posted:

Lava hand 🤔

E: I read the wiki which makes us sound more like a burnt hand and not lava, gotta say that’s pretty disappointing

He can light it on fire I believe. And he rocks full plate on a boat.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
He says "Flame on!"

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Victarion's wife got pregnant by Euron, so Victarion had to beat her to death with his hands. He's pretty wild.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
His hand struck me as one of those things that work in a book but have a high possibility of looking dumb as poo poo on screen

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Not enough edgelords like this show, we need an honor-killing to attract them.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

PostNouveau posted:

Another book only character: Victarion Greyjoy. He's an insane pirate with a red priest by his side and a lava hand. He rules. Could have been in the show instead of the Sand Snakes.

I looked the character up and:

quote:

According to George R. R. Martin, Victarion is "dumb as a stump" and "a dullard and a brute"

...why is he not part of the show again?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Victarion and Euron were merged into one character called Euron.

Literally all Victarion has done in the books is spend book 6 sailing to Slaver's Bay with a Greyjoy fleet, moving at the speed of plot timed to arrive coincidentally at the point where Dany needs a fleet to take her to Westeros. He has a magic trumpet he thinks will let him control the dragons, and he's going to be the xth character to die proving that that's not how dragons work.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Victarion and Euron were merged into one character called Euron.

Literally all Victarion has done in the books is spend book 6 sailing to Slaver's Bay with a Greyjoy fleet, moving at the speed of plot timed to arrive coincidentally at the point where Dany needs a fleet to take her to Westeros. He has a magic trumpet he thinks will let him control the dragons, and he's going to be the xth character to die proving that that's not how dragons work.

He also got chucked

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Solice Kirsk posted:

Should have been axed long ago for not being able to "act" when his job is actor.

He was dropped out of a tower.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Lmao is book Dany still in Essos? That’s wild.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

beanieson posted:

Book Dany is at the spot right before the dothraki horde find her and take her to vaes dothrak after drogon carries her away from the fighting pit assassination attempt

Only difference from the show is that book Dany is violently making GBS threads all over the place while it's going down

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So there is no way another book is ever released right? Besides a post death money grab by someone.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Correct.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I bet Winds gets released. Even if GRRM dropped dead tomorrow there's probably enough of a manuscript written to cobble together a novel. The book after that will never be released.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Someone will write novelizations of the show

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I personally can't wait for the musical adaptation.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

beanieson posted:

Here's where all the major characters are in the books as we last saw them. It's a real bummer.

Daenerys: captured by the Dothraki after fleeing Meereen

Jaime: being led into a trap by Brienne

Brienne: leading Jaime into a trap, after being coerced by the Brotherhood Without Banners

Jon: stabbed to death by the Night's Watch mutineers

Davos: heading to Skagos to find Rickon

Melisandre: at the Wall, still faithful to Stannis

Stannis: reported dead outside Winterfell, actually not

Theon: Stannis' prisoner after fleeing Ramsay with Jeyne, Ramsay's wife who was presented as Arya Stark to legitimize the Bolton's hold on the North

Asha (Yara): Stannis' prisoner after being defeated in battle by Stannis' forces

Ramsay: reported to have defeated Stannis outside Winterfell, actually didn't

Tyrion: outside Meereen, infiltrating a sellsword company to get an opportunity to meet Dany

Jorah: ditto above

Cersei: recently released from prison after completing her walk of shame

Margaery: still in prison for her alleged adultery

Sam: recently arrived at the Citadel

Bran: beginning his tutelage under the Three Eyed Crow, making his first forays into seeing the past

Arya: killing one of the men on her list in Braavos after spending time in a theatre company

Sansa: meeting her alleged groom-to-be Harry in the Vale, still posing as the bastard Alayne.

Littlefinger: grooming Sansa in the Vale

Varys: murdering Kevan Lannister while spouting his dogmatic belief in the leadership of the pretender Aegon

The Hound: reported dead, actually alive and at peace among a group of monks

Tommen: still king

Euron: preparing to invade the Reach using blood magic

Night's King: a myth

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 21, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Xanderkish posted:

I personally can't wait for the musical adaptation.

Brian Herbert teams up with that record producer who kept finding all that unreleased Tupac material 1998-2010.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
hol' up, I thought in the books Littlefinger already had killed Cat's sister whats-her-tits, and they had talked to the vale lords about it

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
He has and is now prepping Sansa to marry the heir of the Vale (Harry) so that he can kill Robert Arryn and have rulership pass to Harry and Sansa.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Goddamn I’m glad I never started in on the books, what a let down it’ll never get finished.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is hot pie dead? He is going to bake the ice king into a cake and become king.

I should probably spoiler that.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

In It For The Tank posted:

Tyrion: outside Meereen, infiltrating a sellsword company to get an opportunity to meet Dany

See, I thought this was a unique TV invention, not a part of the fifth book, which I never got to reading beyond the first few chapters.

Wonder how much of the criticism of the show is just criticism for whatever GURM material the showrunners got?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That plot wasn't so bad, however.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The IOU thing from the book was a silly asspull.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

In It For The Tank posted:

Here's where all the major characters are in the books as we last saw them. It's a real bummer.

Daenerys: captured by the Dothraki after fleeing Meereen

Jaime: being led into a trap by Brienne

Brienne: leading Jaime into a trap, after being coerced by the Brotherhood Without Banners

Jon: stabbed to death by the Night's Watch mutineers

Davos: heading to Skagos to find Rickon

Melisandre: at the Wall, still faithful to Stannis

Stannis: reported dead outside Winterfell, actually not

Theon: Stannis' prisoner after fleeing Ramsay with Jeyne, Ramsay's wife who was presented as Arya Stark to legitimize the Bolton's hold on the North

Asha (Yara): Stannis' prisoner after being defeated in battle by Stannis' forces

Ramsay: reported to have defeated Stannis outside Winterfell, actually didn't

Cersei: recently released from prison after completing her walk of shame

Margaery: still in prison for her alleged adultery

Sam: recently arrived at the Citadel

Bran: beginning his tutelage under the Three Eyed Crow, making his first forays into seeing the past

Arya: killing one of the men on her list in Braavos after spending time in a theatre company

Sansa: meeting her alleged groom-to-be Harry in the Vale, still posing as the bastard Alayne.

Littlefinger: grooming Sansa in the Vale

Varys: murdering Kevan Lannister while spouting his dogmatic belief in the leadership of the pretender Aegon

The Hound: reported dead, actually alive and at peace among a group of monks

Tommen: still king

Euron: preparing to invade the Reach using blood magic

Night's King: a myth

Are you counting the WoW chapters? Because last I remember, Arya was warging to cheat her tests.

Edit. Oh wait, you may be right as I may be reversing it. GRRMs WoW chapters came out so long ago I cant differentiate them from the 5th book.at this point.

Darko fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 21, 2019

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Now cross reference the list with where the books were when the show started airing and get depressed.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I don't know what book character Ian McShane was supposed to be but I'm guessing it was that grizzled priest/war guy that talked to Brienne in (a feast for crows??). He had that awesome long monologue about how war looks from the soldier/peasant's point of view, the show really should've used that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

He did do it for an animation on the Blu Ray.