Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

El Jebus posted:

What.

This is what I've been waiting for.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Signals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

oh god damnit

I hate you guys.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
gently caress sakes I just got my Smoke a year ago and avoided the Fireboard because it was way too expensive.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I hate you because I had the ThermoPro brand on Amazon confused with ThermoWorks and my wallet was much happier for it.

Anyone have experience with the MEATER wireless probe thermometer? I use a Weber kettle for my smoking so having the wired probe means I don't get a tight seal closing the grill.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Dango Bango posted:

Anyone have experience with the MEATER wireless probe thermometer? I use a Weber kettle for my smoking so having the wired probe means I don't get a tight seal closing the grill.

It probably sucks. Just drill a small hole into the lower bowl of your Weber and put one of those high-temp silicon grommets in. Much less bullshit to deal with.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ROJO posted:

Just buy a thermoworks smoke - pay once cry once. Seriously, this thread is full of people who have had other thermometers crap out (myself included), and the smoke I have never really seen a complaint about. I love mine.

I posted about it earlier in the thread, but my Smoke would give impossible readings after a little while (like 80F in a 300F smoker or boiling water), and replacing the probes didn’t fix it. I moved on.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Bought my first smoker: masterbuilt portable; did chicken thighs last week and just finished a pork butt tonight. To avoid getting drippings all over the inside, to include the heating coils, should I just put things on a piece of foil every time?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone got a standard / solid recipe for smoked spatchcocked chicken?

I'm using an MES30, probably using cherry or pecan for it. Mostly am asking because googling around gives me a huge range of differences, ie smoking at 225, 250, 275. Meat injected, meat not, bird wet brined, bird dry brined, no brine. Rub only, rub + paint with sauce at 150F internal, some with drip pan full of liquid, some empty etc. It's just kinda all over the place.

I'd prefer to just dry brine overnight as I've got to do 2-3 chickens and won't have the space to wetbrine that many. I also don't have an injector. Going for a mostly low-intensity seasoning, mother in law can't tolerate spice of any kind, so one bird is gonna just be lemon, salt, sage with onion and garlic powder in the rub. Any ideas?

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

Smoking before grilling is my go-to method for tri tip now. I smoke at 200f until it gets up to 125f, which usually takes about 90 minutes. Then I blast the outside on the highest heat I can get my grill up to until it's crispy. Crazy amount of flavor while still getting a nearly sous vide level of even cook.

Confirmation that this recipe is unbelievable good:

I got drunk and burned the hell of the wings so those weren't photo worthy but the tri tip got a ton of compliments :dance:

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

VERTiG0 posted:

gently caress sakes I just got my Smoke a year ago and avoided the Fireboard because it was way too expensive.

I have a Smoke, and it works fine - I wanted the Smoke Gateway, so I could monitor the smoker on my phone. No joy, the Gateway doesn't play nicely with 5Ghz wireless. I assume the Signals 4-port one Thermoworks makes might also have issues with 5Ghz.

So, I got a Heatermeter instead. 4 ports for probes, works amazingly well. I opted to buy the pre-assembled version (I am not as skilled with a soldering iron as I was in my youth). Used it for my first brisket of 2019, was quite nice to watch the graph instead of just the small remote from the Smoke.

Their store: https://store.heatermeter.com/
Their github: https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki

(I opted for the v4.3 one)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Dr. Krieger posted:

Confirmation that this recipe is unbelievable good:

I got drunk and burned the hell of the wings so those weren't photo worthy but the tri tip got a ton of compliments :dance:

Hell yeah! Looks beautiful.

:hfive:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probes should have two sensors, one at the top for food temp and one at the base for air temp.

Would save a lot of hassle and also help with deltas due to localized heating.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Murgos posted:

Probes should have two sensors, one at the top for food temp and one at the base for air temp.

Would save a lot of hassle and also help with deltas due to localized heating.

What if you want to cook more than one food?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

What if you want to cook more than one food?

You could still have multiple probes?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
After my MES died we've gone without a smoker for far too long apparently. Went wandering around a hardware store with my wife and she looked at me pointedly and said "When are we getting a new smoker?", so I guess now I gotta get a new smoker!

I've been doing some looking around at the various options, I'd like to stick w/ an electric because if it's convenient we'll get way more use out of it. I looked at the current Masterbuilt line but after how my MES 30 died I'm not crazy about buying from them again.

Anybody have experience with Smokin-it? I'm specifically looking at the Smoker Model #2 since it seems like a good size for what I like to smoke (butts, ribs, brisket). I also really like that it's all stainless steel, well insulated, and has a 3 year warranty (my MES only lasted about 2 years).

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

All this talk of thermometers and no one else here has run a fireboard?

https://www.fireboard.com/

6 inputs, bluetooth and wifi connectivity. I really love the app/website data logging so i can compare my cooks and so on.

Plus it's expandable with a port for a fan controller if you are running a charcoal smoker.

Their fully loaded "extreme edition" is only $249, and includes the fireboard and 2 ambient sensors, 2 grill clips, and 6 food probes.

I've posted my output/cooks a few times.
Here's a cook from (jesus) 2017:

Overall accuracy is good enough for bbq work.

Only thing I would recommend to anyone buying new, would be to crack open the case, and give the circuit board a good shot of conformal coating for added environmental protection. They do sell a case for $50, but meh.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I guess they got a good deal on yellowish pixels!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I guess so :) I never really cared enough to change the colors or look to see if i could.
I did see that channel 6 pops green.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Subjunctive posted:

I posted about it earlier in the thread, but my Smoke would give impossible readings after a little while (like 80F in a 300F smoker or boiling water), and replacing the probes didn’t fix it. I moved on.

Just curious, but did you contact their customer service? My interactions with them have been nothing but outstanding.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

qutius posted:

Just curious, but did you contact their customer service? My interactions with them have been nothing but outstanding.

I sent an email to them, IIRC, but didn’t hear back. I’m happy with my fan controller one now, but maybe I’ll try again and gift it if they fix it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
So, I have the Bass Pro / Redhead version of the WSM and I've only used it like... twice. It came with a water bowl, and, well, somehow it ended up behind my wife's tire and got ran over. I really have no idea how the hell it happened, but my question is how necessary is it really?

In my grill, I've never really used one, but is there something about this style of smoker that necessitates one?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think it's supposed to help keep moisture in the smoker and also help keep the temperature stable, but I feel like I've seen enough people say they don't use it that maybe it's not really necessary. Haven't tested myself.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I think it's supposed to help keep moisture in the smoker and also help keep the temperature stable, but I feel like I've seen enough people say they don't use it that maybe it's not really necessary. Haven't tested myself.

I have one and have never used the water pan. gently caress for the longest time I thought it was just the grease trap because that's where it all ends up.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

QuarkMartial posted:

So, I have the Bass Pro / Redhead version of the WSM and I've only used it like... twice. It came with a water bowl, and, well, somehow it ended up behind my wife's tire and got ran over. I really have no idea how the hell it happened, but my question is how necessary is it really?

In my grill, I've never really used one, but is there something about this style of smoker that necessitates one?

My catchpan literally blew away one night. I have the rack that it would have hung on and I just wrap it with heavy duty foil when I am doing something that would risk dumping a lot of drippings onto the coals. (This is a charcoal keg smoker).

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
When I first started smoking I did not use a water pan, and my meats were coming out bitter and covered in creosote.

Since I started using the water pan, this has not happened again. My theory is that the drippings were hitting the charcoal and creating a thicker, greasier smoke.

EDIT: Vertical smoker here.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 25, 2019

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

QuarkMartial posted:

Fill it with play sand and cover with foil. It acts as a baffle and heat sink, not much else.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

PhotoKirk posted:

Fill it with play sand and cover with foil. It acts as a baffle and heat sink, not much else.

Having water in it seems to help a bit with stuff like salmon. At least here where the average humidity is pretty low.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

When I first started smoking I did not use a water pan, and my meats were coming out bitter and covered in creosote.

Since I started using the water pan, this has not happened again. My theory is that the drippings were hitting the charcoal and creating a thicker, greasier smoke.

That's definitely a thing that happens (grease drippings hitting the charcoal) if you're smoking over coals vs offset or w/e.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I just want him to call in to request a replacement and note that the pan was run over by a car during the service call.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

PhotoKirk posted:

Yeah... It's too hosed for that lol

Colostomy Bag posted:

I just want him to call in to request a replacement and note that the pan was run over by a car during the service call.

I might try that, but eh. I'd rather just find something else to put there. I usually run offset, so I don't care about drippings. With it being over the coals, that's definitely a concern. Thanks for the info!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

QuarkMartial posted:

Yeah... It's too hosed for that lol

I might try that, but eh. I'd rather just find something else to put there. I usually run offset, so I don't care about drippings. With it being over the coals, that's definitely a concern. Thanks for the info!

You don't care about oil nasty oil building up in your smoker?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Round 2 of 3 on Canadian bacon.
This one is heavy on sage with local maple syrup and a little molasses, smoked in cherry.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

This one is heavy on sage with local maple syrup and a little molasses, smoked in cherry.

All I am seeing is a smoked ham.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hasselblad posted:

All I am seeing is a smoked ham.

Canadian bacon is cured and (usually but not always) smoked pork tenderloin, so yep, that's 'all' you're seeing. sorry to disappoint.
Next time I'll not brine it first and only smoke it for less confusion.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 1, 2019

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

Canadian bacon is cured and (usually but not always) smoked pork tenderloin, so yep, that's 'all' you're seeing. sorry to disappoint.
Next time I'll not brine it first and only smoke it for less confusion.

I'd eat it with some poached eggs, an english muffin and some hollandaise.

Maybe some spinach if i'm feeling saucy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Big Beef City posted:

Looks good!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

For US folks, what are you seeing for pork butt prices?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
My last one was $1.69/lbs.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

My grocer has it for .79/lb (bone in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Colostomy Bag posted:

$1-2 per pound generally.