Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Sage Grimm posted:

Mummified Skeletons?! Refleshed zombies?!?

ambulatory marrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I believe you should ask late Agartha about that. They pack them into really big tins with a few anchovies to keep them fresh

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ramc posted:

ambulatory marrow

oh there's a dorf fort nation mod?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Kitfox88 posted:

oh there's a dorf fort nation mod?

There should be.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Dominions has enough micro already, imagine adding the Catsplosion

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Dominions has enough micro already, imagine adding the Catsplosion
Eh, that'd be just another nation with freespawn chaff. :shrug:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Eh, the catsplosion would only work if they forcibly attach themselves to the commanders, eating up the leadership cap and generally slowing pathing

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its a global

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

frankenfreak posted:

Eh, that'd be just another nation with freespawn chaff. :shrug:

Yeah but hear me out: sacred freespawn chaff. What if catsplosion became slightly more literal than before through Fire blessings?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 27

We got some battles, two of them are spied enemy capital province fights so lets hope for some razzle dazzle here. I also get construction 4 and I will show the items as i make them so probably next turn you will see 'em!

but first this message from our sponsor

I guess there might be some sort of CONFLICT here. Some sort of HIDDEN MESSAGE but maybe someone in the LP audience can help me figure it out.

blah blah clearing indies in the SE noone cares

razzle dazzle

Hell yes here we go.

On the Phlegra side we get to see one of their cool Tyrant dudes. Look at this beast. They can thug it up some but this one is on wizard duty. He has some fire gems to cast...

FLAMING ARROWS every one of those helotes is packing javelins that count as projectiles so this is going to be pretty withering. MA giants aren't straight up vulnerable to fire like EA ones but an extra 6 damage or so per hit is going to add up really fast regeneration bless or no.

"Men, I need you to form a straight line and maintain it marching toward the enemy."

"Yes. Good. Excellent."

This actually seems to prove pretty bad for the giants here, as they start to politely single file into the blob after hitting their preset advance limit. It lets the javelin dudes focus fire better.

The giants finally complete the flank attack but their center line has fallen apart and the bunches of giants are easily peppered with ranged attacks while they slowly try to chop one man to death a turn. The Garmhirdings are berserkers and fight to the death. A lot of the helote squads morale rout but not nearly enough.

The non berserker giants retreat.

This is pretty fatal looking. Could Jotunheim have done better? Maybe. Better enough to win the fight? I don't really think so. Having the big line be two separate groups so it wrapped better might have dealt more damage but this one was probably foregone by this point. The Jotunheim wizards retreat into the fort but at this point it is mostly just wearing down the siege strength of the capitol fortress.

Next is my attack into Phaeacian UW stuff. I had spoken to Howareu about this earlier.

quote:

how are u
no PD there
adds 150 PD

Ramc
I am sort of operating on the assumption that you might spike it

how are u
yeah you have a p large force
large enough to make me not happy

Ramc
50PD of merrow isnt gonna stop poo poo

how are u
i've half way come around to the fact that i am not going to get my cap circle
but parking armies in it is going to mean a fight at some point

Ramc
you bought yourself a lot of extra time with it
i mean it isnt parked it is choo choo chewing though

how are u
better be!
and templing up my cap circle is going to mean war too

Ramc
oh no
how will i defend myself beneath the waves

how are u
i'll stand on the shore and yell
d i p l o m a c y

the absolute madman

i warned you bro

note to make a photoshop of the sweet bro and hella jeff but it is i warned you 50 pd of merrow won't stop poo poo

Back in the Jotun region we hit some barbarians. I love land.

The results are predictable in a good way.

Okay so this fight in Asphodel is a result of Phaecia baiting out the AI because the AI is colossally dumb in some(most[all]) respects. It saw that Phaecia had a single scout on its cap so it attacks with EVERYthing inside the cap to clear it. It will fall for this 100% of the time. Phaecia moves its army back in on the same turn so they fight everything in the fort.

Everything in the Asphodel cap piles out to fight without the help of its cool walls and archers. Tactics!

The Phaeacian force.

And his bless. It's low key and workman like. It's perfectly fine.

The sacred troop of Phaecia. They're pretty good, as Howareu has gone over before.

And his prophet. Hello. He is hurt because of the candles difference between the province he was in last turn and the one he is in now.

He has this sword? Probably from a random event. The flavor text is pretty cool.

The first volley from the sacred centaur vine monsters of Asphodel reminds us that their bless includes wither weapons.

He has some storm wizards casting lightning. The orichalcum guard chew through the manikins and rout the asphodel wizards.

At the end of the fight, though, the withering takes place all at once. die DIE DIE!! Yes!
Every 5 popping up here is 5 years of aging.

The survivors flee into the capital fort which I expect will fall next turn.

Ok event time.

Magic fish gems. I love magic fish now.

Cabins... underwater? Well okay if you say so I'm not an expert here.

:googles 'lapidation':

Overview.

In this zone I am turning back after clearing the province. I talked to Nazca and I don't think I can get over there without a huge fight. And his dudes are too mobile. It's a shame but I don't want to press it yet.

quote:

Ramc
hello in a turn or two can i walk overland your territory to get to that other lake to the east

DivineFrog
Negative it's already taken
You should have plenty of backyard though being the only uw
Are you allied with phlegra?

Ramc
water expands to fill
no
did U take the lake

DivineFrog
I have troops mopping up assfondle, but phlegra is unresponsive. Concerned

Ramc
I am mostly taking advantage of phleg crippling jotun
phleg is on jotun cap
so probably busy

DivineFrog
Hmmm

Ramc
possibly vulnerable!

DivineFrog
Who is North of me again?
I'm mobile and can't look

Ramc
Eriu?
I think
libluini

DivineFrog
Assuming you're allies since I've seen no battles
People are trying to make deals right now and your name keeps cropping up

Ramc
why
besides you know

DivineFrog
I've not said much as you're my friendly neighbor

Ramc
being big UW

DivineFrog
That's basically it

Ramc
Like what are they even going to do
drown at me

DivineFrog
That's basically it

Ramc
I have no strategic resources worth the bother to steal

DivineFrog
Alliances are forming against you fyi

Ramc
Probably Phaecia
because they are an island and shook as heck

DivineFrog
Not because your land is valuable but because you can sit back and get fed until late game

Ramc
there will never be a late game

DivineFrog
Oh?

Ramc
the throne settings are too hosed up

DivineFrog
I loving hate thrones
They're a bad game mechanic
kremeth game

In the Jotun zone there is a bit going on. I am expanding to the west but look who showed up! Phaecia! Also the jotun fort is not broken so the siege will continue there.

I have an epiphany here that my prophet is in big danger here. If Phaecia is not asleep at the wheel. Seeking arrow CAN strike underwater and in the deep candles here he has 1hp. I have other commanders to spread the risk though, and am hiring an indie to give another potential target. I don't know that he'll try it but it is a risk to hedge against and I move my normal priest up to bless in case the worst happens

The scout goes east!

Orders. Moving dudes toward combat theaters. Finishing upgrades in some of my forts. A lot going on... for other people!

Ramc fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 30, 2019

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
A bunch of my maneuvering as phlegra right now was based on the assumption that jotunheim wouldn't bless his giants, because a lot of the time he was sending off sacreds with no priests. And if memory serves, for this fight jotunheim only had a single H1 priest, who had no chance of blessing his lines of giants.

makes the flaming arrows even more devastating since they don't have a chance to heal between the javelins and the clashing lines

This has been a rare moment of Phlegra Competence

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
There needs to be a game where modifiers are at their lowest, indies are at their highest, and thrones settings are all maxed. Maybe name the game "Niefel Giant Strategy"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Ramc posted:

Cabins... underwater? Well okay if you say so I'm not an expert here.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Flaming arrows is just really good.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure this is post-nerf as well. Used to be that hitting the shield was enough to trigger the fire damage

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Donkringel posted:

There needs to be a game where modifiers are at their lowest, indies are at their highest, and thrones settings are all maxed. Maybe name the game "Niefel Giant Strategy"

32 players, max numbers on everything, max Thrones, no apocalypse. Name it Goon Tedium.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ynglaur posted:

32 players, max numbers on everything, max Thrones, no apocalypse. Name it Goon Tedium.

oh, a dom 3 all ages game

on the faerun map

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Istvun posted:

on the faerun map

I remember us doing something like this once. Or was that just a nightmare?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Libluini posted:

first game I ever played

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Istvun posted:

on the faerun map

:ohno:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Libluini posted:

It was done at least once, and it was horrible.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Istvun posted:

the faerun map
So it's bad, like everything related to Forgotten Realms?

*leans back waiting to see if the ancient ritual to summon Arivia works outside of Trad Games*

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

frankenfreak posted:

So it's bad, like everything related to Forgotten Realms?

*leans back waiting to see if the ancient ritual to summon Arivia works outside of Trad Games*

the face of hell

Red John
Jul 12, 2018
Cool map!

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
I only have dom4 and mostly just played single player. I wish so much that the game was better when scaled that large. The tedium involved in recruiting and moving large armies isn't as apparent in screenshot mode... Even once you reach the end of the research tree, throw up arcane nexus, and control 1/4 of the map I never found a way to speed up the end game slog of crushing everyone.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

acidia posted:

I only have dom4 and mostly just played single player. I wish so much that the game was better when scaled that large. The tedium involved in recruiting and moving large armies isn't as apparent in screenshot mode... Even once you reach the end of the research tree, throw up arcane nexus, and control 1/4 of the map I never found a way to speed up the end game slog of crushing everyone.

Luckily, in multiplayer you don't have to. You just need to wait until the last other player has given up in disgust, or succumbed to mental exhaustion.

Anyway, the thought of playing on that Fâerun-map still gives me the creeps. I faintly remember something not being quite right with the province connections when playing on it. Weirder still, I apparently suppressed all memories of what happened after the first few turns, which is not a good sign.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

acidia posted:

Summon some high quality troops, empower someone to be able to lead and teleport them onto the thrones you need to win, repeat. Once you have enough to take enough thrones to secure victory, send them off, alongside somebody who can claim them. Win.

The AI won't be able to stop you.

Snuggie for Dogs
Feb 19, 2008

I'm Jotunheim in this. This is my first game of dominions so if it looks like I'm failing to understand basic game mechanics, I probably am! I copied the in-game tutorial to choose my nation and make my pretender.

My intent was to secure a favorable northern border and mop up my south peninsula later.

As you can see, all that actually happened was I got myself into a fight with my northern neighbor ewie and took catastrophic losses.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

frankenfreak posted:

Whoa, poo poo. Close.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Faerun is about 400ish provinces if memory serves, there is the larger Oeridia (greyhawk) which is 1200-1300 with a 200 province underworld. We finished a game on it in Dom 3 once, because we used accumulating victory points (RIP). Ended around turn 60 I think.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
We wanted that Greyhawk game to last about 2x to 3x as long, but the VP limits were hard-coded in Dom 3 and we couldn't keep playing. I hadn't even finished my second war and built my teleport death squads to attack the VPd.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Barono posted:

Faerun is about 400ish provinces if memory serves, there is the larger Oeridia (greyhawk) which is 1200-1300 with a 200 province underworld. We finished a game on it in Dom 3 once, because we used accumulating victory points (RIP). Ended around turn 60 I think.

it's better than that space map

Ramc
May 4, 2008

:blessed: Blood: It Won't Cost Much :blessed:

Strong Vitae
According to my notes the blood is the life and for every blood bless point you put into Strong Vitae your blessed sacred get an additional hitpoint. If this sounds exactly like the nature bless that gives +1 hp that's because it is. They also stack. Do you want to put 10 points into nature, blood and death to get Strong Vitae 10, Resilience 10, Undying 10 and have an effective +30 hp on every sacred unit? RIP to your scales but it would be pretty funny you have to admit.

Strength of the Flesh
In another bless that is just some other path's bless with the serial numbers filed off you can spend 3 blood points for the STRENGTH of the FLESH which is just +2 strength which means your units deal an extra 2 damage more or less. Strength affects your siege strength too but you only get the bonus when blessed which happens only in combat unless you are a Prophet or wearing a shroud or something. It stacks with itself and with it's earth path clone spell. Strength bonus is perfectly okay for it's cost I suppose.

Blood Surge
But blood surge, for 4 bless points, is real good. Blessed units gain the BLOOD SURGE effect as soon as they kill another (non-inanimate) unit. Blood surge status gives +3 attack, +3 strength +1 defense, and +1 reinvigoration and lasts a few rounds and those bonuses are really really good when you math up how spendy it would be to get all those bland stat bonuses off other paths. Most of your sacred units are probably reasonably elite to start with and are going to have no trouble dunking another unit to get this ball rolling and for its cost (and it isn't even incarnate!!) you can very easily pair it with another more deadly primary bless. Did your sacred wizard demolish an enemy at a distance with fireball? GOOD ENOUGH enjoy your +1 reinvig to stave off spell fatigue!

Blood Bond
The first incarnate-only blood bless costs 5 bless points and is kind of weird. Blessed units will transfer half of all damage received to other nearby sacreds within 'range 5'. This is best with high health sacred and combines very well with regeneration blessings and spells. It is possible for this to backfire in some situations though especially if you pair it with death explosion. I saw a Marignon do this and annihilate themselves. This sort of bless works well until it absolutely doesn't. There are some extremely high damage spells that exist though that you absolutely do not want cast into your masses of blood bound units.

"Sweet Blood Bond Bro"- DivineFrog's Marverni versus Howareu's Lanka

Unholy Weapons
Unholy weapons costs 6 blood bless points and requires an incarnate god. With it your sacreds gain an unholy bonus to their attacks that does +10 armor piercing damage to enemy sacreds and pretender gods. Like other weapon blesses it doesn't do anything for natural ranged attacks like breath weapons and mind blasts. 10 is a lot of extra damage and this is a pretty brutal counter to sacred troops and thug expander gods. It does still feel cornercase when compared to the other blood options. Several nations do not have sacreds as their line troops and this bless isn't going to to do much for you there.

Blood Vengeance
For 8 blood bless points and an incarnate god you get one of the best paradigm shift blesses out there- BLOOD VENGEANCE. 8 points is about my limit for path spending on a bless and BV delivers. Any time a unit (any unit even your own units) successfully damage the blessed unit they must make a magic resistance check or take the exact same amount of damage they just dealt. Early on this isn't the biggest deal and of course it pairs best with high health or regenerating troops, but as the game matures BV can act as a check on some of the nastiest battlefield-clearing spells in the game. Fire storming or earthquaking into an army with blood vengeance units is almost certain death for most casters in the end. There are ways to get around it of course. Indirect damage from poison or being set on fire from heat auras, instant death spells, decay, using summons, etc. The problem is your enemy has to basically constantly plan around Blood Vengeance and that is just exhausting

Blood is a really good bless path. It's economical and mixes some blandly good stuff with some really interesting stuff with some paradigm changing stuff. Having a god with high blood also opens the door for using high path blood spells down the line which are also generally pretty crazy good.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Did they tweak BV in 5 to only work on an actual successful damaging hit? In 4 at least I recall it triggering on misses caused by post-hit roll misses such as those caused by Mirrror Image... or more relevantly for sacreds, Glamour. It could trigger on an Ethereal miss as well.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Wow, Withering ranged weapons against giant elite sacreds looks absolutely brutal. There's no way he wanted to lose half his line in that fight.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Strength bless is not to be underestimated, in both earth and blood (or both!). It's cheap, it's multiplied by several other effects (charge bonuses, multiple attacks), and it doesn't require an incarnate god.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
hello blood vengeance is actually the damage received + a roll innit, or like the damage received before prot

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

Did they tweak BV in 5 to only work on an actual successful damaging hit? In 4 at least I recall it triggering on misses caused by post-hit roll misses such as those caused by Mirrror Image... or more relevantly for sacreds, Glamour. It could trigger on an Ethereal miss as well.

violent sex idiot posted:

hello blood vengeance is actually the damage received + a roll innit, or like the damage received before prot

As far as I am aware it is just the exact damage you were successfully dealt in Dominions 5. In Dominions 4 it was definitely fiddlier but the case I remember was that if you were ethereal and you would have taken damage from a strike but it was negated by ethereal, your enemy still could hurt themselves.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how dare u try to strike me human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I have way better things to spend Air gems on than Seeking Arrow. Also, I only wanted to kill that one triton trooper with the Merrow PD, the rest of the army was probably sour anyways.