Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chinatown posted:

lol gas prices have been going up like crazy right now in southern california and the lines at Costco this afternoon were freaking nuts

oh weird. glad i filled up last week. is it just latestage capitalism investment commodity speculation maneuver, or a specific reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Xaris posted:

oh weird. glad i filled up last week. is it just latestage capitalism investment commodity speculation maneuver, or a specific reason?

A bunch of refineries shut down for some reason? Maybe? I think I heard that on npr?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

personally, i blame the mods

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Taima posted:

I get what you're saying but a math savant you aint

No, but also how is my math wrong?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
California is switching over to "summer blend" gas and there's traditionally a small dip in supply as the refineries get back up to speed with the formulation.

There was also a few news reports about the incoming GAS HIKE to over $4 so there was also a slight run leading up to that.

And just to make it fun, a state rep found a weird $.30 tax to each gallon that he can't figure out what it covers so... :iiaca:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

The Slack Lagoon posted:

No, but also how is my math wrong?

Oh I think I see what you're saying, so the total is 43.6 between the gas and the thing you saved money on, and then you're including the executive bonus but aren't mentioning it? It's just weirdly phrased. I figured you just added 41.3 and 3 wrong, it was a dumb joke in any case.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Taima posted:

Oh I think I see what you're saying, so the total is 43.6 between the gas and the thing you saved money on, and then you're including the executive bonus but aren't mentioning it? It's just weirdly phrased. I figured you just added 41.3 and 3 wrong, it was a dumb joke in any case.

Actually I am an idiot and did add 3 and 41.6 wrong. But I did forget the 2% from both executive and credit card cash back, which is another 3%, for a total of 47.6% of cost of membership

WILL THE SAVINGS EVER END?

P B U C

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

California is switching over to "summer blend" gas and there's traditionally a small dip in supply as the refineries get back up to speed with the formulation.

There was also a few news reports about the incoming GAS HIKE to over $4 so there was also a slight run leading up to that.

And just to make it fun, a state rep found a weird $.30 tax to each gallon that he can't figure out what it covers so... :iiaca:

If you're talking about what I think you are, that's not really a "tax" per se, it's more of a general charge that is added before the gas reaches the consumer in CA itself. I think people refer to it as a tax because it's easier to envision it that way.

I don't get what it is either, but it's not the government getting a handout. Essentially they're increasing the price at a late stage in the supply chain because they just literally can do that.

Third party pumps like the 'Co that aren't locked into provider contracts or refinery-owned have a lot more wiggle room to avoid this generalized upcharge, which allows them to be cheaper in general.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Actually I am an idiot and did add 3 and 41.6 wrong. But I did forget the 2% from both executive and credit card cash back, which is another 3%, for a total of 47.6% of cost of membership

WILL THE SAVINGS EVER END?

P B U C

You should have ridden it out, you totally could have bluffed through it ^_^

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm George loving Washington

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

California requires extra clean gas, and even though there's 40 million people here buying it, the oil companies gouge us. Meanwhile, Montana has 500k people and gas is cheap as hell.

On top of that, California is switching to summer blend and 6 of 10 refineries are down for maintenance.

And California keeps passing more gas taxes to punish the poor in the name of the environment.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Yeah but Cali is making the world a better place by taxing you so heavily. Imagine if they didn't, your car would be running on coal or leaded gas or some weird poo poo and we'd be living on a fire planet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

California’s stricter gas requirements substantially lowered the amount of smog in LA and prevented hundred of thousands of additional asthma cases as a result :shrug:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

FCKGW posted:

California’s stricter gas requirements substantially lowered the amount of smog in LA and prevented hundred of thousands of additional asthma cases as a result :shrug:

hosed up if true

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also
https://www.google.com/amp/s/sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/04/18/mystery-surcharge-taxes-fees-gasoline-california/amp/

quote:

BERKELEY (KPIX 5) — A University of California, Berkeley professor is drawing attention to a gasoline “mystery surcharge” in the state – unexplained price increases in gasoline which have cost drivers $20 billion since 2015.

Yay California!

You aren’t wrong but they really do find every way they can to gently caress us on gas prices.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Boomers lived through an era where people had to wear masks to walk around in LA and they still think pollution is a fake idea lol

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The church failed me this weekend.

I ripped a tyre open last week when I pinched a loose screw between the tyre and kerb.

Ordered a set of replacement rear wheels online to get fitted a week later on good Friday and they never arrived. Had to come in and sit in a queue like a pleb getting whatever they had in stock fitted.

The whole Costco online thing seems very half baked.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Horse Clocks posted:

The church failed me this weekend.

I ripped a tyre open last week when I pinched a loose screw between the tyre and kerb.

Ordered a set of replacement rear wheels online to get fitted a week later on good Friday and they never arrived. Had to come in and sit in a queue like a pleb getting whatever they had in stock fitted.

The whole Costco online thing seems very half baked.

Online is great for regular stuff but the tire place is well... a tire fire.

Avoid.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Online is great for regular stuff but the tire place is well... a tire fire.

Avoid.

Well, the tire place is okay with caveats. I did a normal trip to Costco, stopped into the tire place, and ordered the tires and went back and forth on the speed ratings of the two variants for my car. Came back two weeks later to have tires installed, did a regular shopping trip, etc.

It went fine, but since it seems like the guys installing the tires are also running the desk there, it could really go either way depending on who you get. Regular Costco online seems a bit mediocre, adding the fuckery of tires into that does seem like a bad idea.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know this is a big YMMV but Costco online has been great for me in SoCa. I’ll normally get my orders in 2 days.

It’s handy when you need just one thing like undershirts and don’t want to go just for that one thing and end up with 300$ in stuff you forgot you needed.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Also
https://www.google.com/amp/s/sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/04/18/mystery-surcharge-taxes-fees-gasoline-california/amp/

Yay California!

You aren’t wrong but they really do find every way they can to gently caress us on gas prices.

What do you mean "also"? This is exactly what we're discussing.

CA has a huge amount of refinery-own gas stations and/or stations with refinery contracts. So they are in a sense beholden to the going price. And again, that's why Costco can be so much cheaper at times, it's simply not acquiring gas under that model so it is able to secure better deals.

There isn't a surcharge on gas that says "mystery surcharge" it's an aggregated measurement of increased prices that occur in between the gas suppliers and the final price at the pump that fluctuates wildly and can more broadly be described mostly as "gas stations don't have to give a gently caress how much they charge, in general".

It's just market forces, broadly. For every person who gets their gas at Costco, there is another person getting their gas at a refinery-own shell station for 25-40 cents more. I'm sure as a CA citizen you can see that occurring every day.

The problem is that these articles are misleading because they think the public are complete idiots, so they phrase things in a way that make people misunderstand what we're actually talking about.

It's also why there will NEVER be any action, because it's not one issue and it basically comes down primarily to the market forces that exist in CA.

I'm actually amazed that people are literally arguing against clean gas in CA, as if we haven't dealt with the negative effects of those policies in the past. It's mind boggling how short people's memories are, or maybe they just don't know what we had to deal with during those times.

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Yeah but Cali is making the world a better place by taxing you so heavily. Imagine if they didn't, your car would be running on coal or leaded gas or some weird poo poo and we'd be living on a fire planet.

Sorry my eyes can't roll back in my head far enough to do justice to this post

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I would use Costco tire more but since they won't ~do~ my cars (not sold in this country so not in their system = they won't touch) that means I gotta buy on the strength of discounts on the tires themselves so I can mount/balance them elsewhere. Unfortunately tires through Costco aren't any cheaper there, like the exact same tires.

Great for batteries though I buy those constantly!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fallom posted:

Boomers lived through an era where people had to wear masks to walk around in LA and they still think pollution is a fake idea lol

Photos: When L.A. smog was so bad people suspected a gas attack

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

There’s a 58 inch hisense UHD at the co for 379 today only

Do I make this impulse purchase

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The whole point of costco is to spend a little bit more money up front for long term gains so maybe instead of talking about crazy gas prices go buy a small used short range electric as an auxiliary car that will probably handle most of your driving needs with far smaller fueling/maintenance costs. We have two cars but the one we use most is the $10k Spark EV which goes 75-80 miles per charge and we plug it in once or twice a week. With the back seat folded down it works well even for trips to the 'stco. Not everyone can make it work, but you might be surprised how many can.

Join us in the EV thread if you want to learn more!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fallom posted:

Really hoping that, if we survive the 110 degree hellworld we have created, the boomers will be vilified as dead-brained idiots thanks to leaded gas rendering them dumb as bricks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Yes. That’s absolutely impulse range for a dam decent size.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Great for batteries though I buy those constantly!

I only glanced at them the other day but it looked like they had a weird 3.5 year warranty option instead of the 5 year at AutoZone. Plus while I do my own car stuff generally having a free battery change after testing to confirm a dead battery is such an easy thing that Costco not offering that just turns me off.

Tire center...used them once. I don't know that I'd go back because they are just annoying to get rotations done vs everywhere else.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

The 65" TCLs go for $499 at Costco and Best Buy. Personally I would take that over a Hisense.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm not arguing against clean gas, I'm arguing against being gouged for it by the oil companies when the market size does not dictate higher prices.

Additionally I'm arguing against regressive taxes on gasoline when there is no infrastructure support for alternative means of transportation.

Also thinking about one of those TCLs since my main (only) TV room is being taken over by children's toys and I need somewhere to watch stuff that isn't PBS kids.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Does the Hisense have HDR?

Concern that it might not be a good implementation for the price.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Does the Hisense have HDR?

Concern that it might not be a good implementation for the price.

It does, it's Dolby Vision as well so it should be fine

https://www.costco.com/HISENSE--58%22-Class-(57.5%22-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-LCD-TV.product.100465275.html

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Gas is expensive. Guess we all should've stocked up when prices were low. Good thing Costco is here to regulate the marketplace.

sandball
Jan 6, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Do not buy this TV. There have been boatloads of firmware problems on them that are still being worked out by Hisense (check the reviews on the Costco website if you want to see a few of them).

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Fallom posted:

All that lead made them even dumber, racister assholes.

Went to worship on this most holy of weekends. Bought three polos among other things we usually get.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Reminder the church is closed tomorrow for honest to god Church reasons.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

FizFashizzle posted:

You can frequently find the 55" TCL 6 series that everyone raves about for well under $500. A few inches smaller, but picture quality is going to probably be significantly better.

The 55" 5 series sometimes sells for less than this Hisense if you find a decent sale.

Went to Costco today. Super annoyed that they have those 32 degrees t-shirts in only white or black for men. I really like the material, and the cost is great, but even a loving gray would be an improvement.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah for sure, the 55 inch TCL is the best budget TV. Completely agreed.

You can get it right now off Rakuten for $473 with promo code EE80.

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/electronic-express/product/55R617/?sku=55R617

TVs have never been cheaper, don't settle on a lovely one. This one also has Dolby Vision which I highly recommend.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You can frequently find the 55" TCL 6 series that everyone raves about for well under $500

Really? Can you post a link to a historic 6 series price well under $500? The deal I just posted for the 617 for $473 is about as low as I've seen.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Taima posted:

Yeah for sure, the 55 inch TCL is the best budget TV. Completely agreed.

You can get it right now off Rakuten for $473 with promo code EE80.

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/electronic-express/product/55R617/?sku=55R617

TVs have never been cheaper, don't settle on a lovely one. This one also has Dolby Vision which I highly recommend.

Really? Can you post a link to a historic 6 series price well under $500? The deal I just posted for the 617 for $473 is about as low as I've seen.

I got the 2017 P607 from Rakuten about a year ago for $430. Using ebates got me to just above $400 total. Of course, this was just as the 617 was coming out and they were blowing out the 607s to make room for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That is a scorching hot price. Nice.