Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There were some weird antagonisms towards the player-base. I could swear Achilli himself wrote some essay that was in the back of a players guide or something deriding superheroes with fangs and the like. There was definitely that essay about what Aberrant was or wasn't in its player guide. And the Abomination rules which were an extended "gently caress you" waste of word count at, uh, how many people actually hounded them about playing vampire werewolves?

But, yeah, that was probably mostly it, and to some extent understandable even if you really shouldn't write rules based on how tired you are of a half-dozen people showing up to three GenCons in a row to ask about what Disciplines a werewolf could learn. This all lives in the same game franchise that became the "personal horror" brand, but in the very first books it had crazy vampire vs werewolf vs mummy vs wizard crossover suggestions, and only a couple years in Sam Haight's Wild Ride took up a distressing amount of word count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

That Old Tree posted:

Because of the sale going on, I'm thinking of getting a physical copy of Mage 20 for my friend for his birthday, and all my DTRPG physical purchases have been adequate at worst, but I'm still really dubious about how much life there might be in a 700-page bludgeon. Anyone gotten any of the various really gigantic PoD books that can chime in about their quality?

A buddy of mine has M20, the spine glue cracked away pretty quickly, like after a month or so from what we've seen.

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

MoonKnight posted:

A buddy of mine has M20, the spine glue cracked away pretty quickly, like after a month or so from what we've seen.

The 659 page Exalted 3rd Edition POD is notorious for falling apart instantly, just look at the comments and reviews: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/162759/Exalted-3rd-Edition

Lost_Heretic fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 20, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My Exalted PoD copy lasted about ten months of light use before it fell apart. These giant tomes are just heavier than the PoD binding can support.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Ferrinus posted:

What people don't realize is that a stark focus on personal horror and the material realities of day-to-day life as one of the damned makes tackling werewolves through concrete walls even cooler.

Gothic-Punk means punching a Venture Elder in the face while blaring Andrew WK music from a stereo.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

jakodee posted:

Gothic-Punk means punching a Venture Elder in the face while blaring Hulk Hogan’s theme from a stereo.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Now I want a character who is convinced they are Hulk Hogan, running around blasting "Real American" when they fight and calling everyone Brother and Dude.

This could be the best or worst Hunter character ever.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

joylessdivision posted:

Now I want a character who is convinced they are Hulk Hogan, running around blasting "Real American" when they fight and calling everyone Brother and Dude.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460258&perpage=40&pagenumber=325#post493647087

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN DIABLRIE RUNS WILD ON YOU?!

Now I just want a game of people playing characters based on wrestlers.

We need an Ultimate Warrior who just babbles gibberish and is too gassed to actually fight after running into battle. gently caress that would be a pretty good Malkavian.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Who doesn't want to play as this guy?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

joylessdivision posted:

Depends, are they also racist and awful in every respect

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

We already have El Diablo Verde, who is (hopefully) not racist.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Dawgstar posted:

We already have El Diablo Verde, who is (hopefully) not racist.

El Diablo Verde fights for JUSTICE and TRUTH.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
About half way through Mage 20th anniversary edition. What is up with all the old pop culture references and just immature language all around. It's like I'm reading a fanfic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tormented posted:

About half way through Mage 20th anniversary edition. What is up with all the old pop culture references and just immature language all around. It's like I'm reading a fanfic.

Please to meet Phil Satyros Brucato who in his own terrible music RPG book thought playing the B-52s was an act of rebellion by DJs.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dawgstar posted:

Please to meet Phil Satyros Brucato who in his own terrible music RPG book thought playing the B-52s was an act of rebellion by DJs.

Funky little shack!
Break the establishment's back!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

joylessdivision posted:

Now I just want a game of people playing characters based on wrestlers.

The Gangrel one is going to take a long time to figure out.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

YaketySass posted:

The Gangrel one is going to take a long time to figure out.

Comedy answer - Gangrel.

Serious answer - Cactus Jack or Bruiser Brody.

At least that tracks with my understanding of Gangrels being the most punchy of the clans.

Hell, Bruiser Brody as a vampire would somehow only be slightly more terrify than regular Brody was.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Tormented posted:

Brucato not only never left the 90s, he never left the early 90s. There's a reason White Wolf's affectionate parody of him was this:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Seriously, while it does mention being sky-clad, if that blurb also mentioned always going barefoot that would be note perfect.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

The conversational authorial voice doesn't bother me too much and does come in handy when it comes to the big sidebars that talk about how to tweak the rules and the setting. It reminds me of how 13th age contains the duelling authorial voices of Jonathan Tweet and Rob Heinsoo in that it really gets across the reasons behind metaplot changes and rules changes across editions.

Mage 20 is a giant weird tome, but it does have some genuinely good stuff in it. It clearly spells out how the different ways Effects can be used in combat and it overhauls the paradigm/focus system from earlier editions with surprising elegance. Prior to Mage 20, a lot of this stuff was found in obscure supplements or in Malcolm Sheppard posts (specifically related to paradox or how to handle aiming Effects.)

I almost think it might be best to hand a prior edition (or the M20 quickstart) to new players to introduce the concepts and then just print out relevant rules text from M20 as handouts.

Octavo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 22, 2019

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
I met a guy in my small rural-rear end town who knows about WoD. I actually got to nerd out a bit about it, since I haven't actually met anybody since college who knew about any of this poo poo.

No major red flags were raised, right up until he started telling about one of his characters, a "badass Tremere..."

"Who actually started off as a Tzimisce ghoul..."

"...and is also a half-Werewolf."

And that was the exact moment I realized I might actually haight this guy.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I was with ya until the Werewolf. There is no such thing as a half werewolf.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

Yeah, I was trying to wrap my head around that. The best I could do was fancy term for Kinfolk.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Signs of Sorcery is out of layout and is in the proofing stage.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

pseudosavior posted:

And that was the exact moment I realized I might actually haight this guy.

Just popping in briefly to say I see what you did there.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Loomer posted:

He's working on a blood ritual to mimic the lupine war-form, but the only working form he's gotten it into so far only transforms the left half of the body.

Also hasn't figured out the ritual to transform back.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
So is he a Were or a Wolf?

Octavo posted:

Signs of Sorcery is out of layout and is in the proofing stage.

Also oh my goodness.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

Memnaelar posted:

Just popping in briefly to say I see what you did there.

:v:

Ironslave posted:

So is he a Were or a Wolf?

I'd say a "rewo". Somehow both "middle of the road" and distinctly terrible to behold.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I swear there was a character that was both a Garou and a Bastet. But i can't seem to track them down.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Yeah, it's like how D&D rules don't operate under the assumption that adventurers just buy a tavern after their first dungeon and call it a day.

I would totally run the "party of ex-adventurers who own their own tavern" campaign. Weird guests, backlashes from failed quests by adventuring parties who start out from the tavern, shakedowns from the local mob, city politics to keep the tavern licence... I'd call it It's Always Sunny In Waterdeep.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

citybeatnik posted:

I swear there was a character that was both a Garou and a Bastet. But i can't seem to track them down.

I believe that was a novel character, which were even loopier than normal WoD.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

citybeatnik posted:

Call To Battle: Book 1 in The Saga Of Jay No-Name apparently and, hooooo boy. There's also magic (like, Mage-magic) and I think cyborgs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Call To Battle: Book 1 in The Saga Of Jay No-Name apparently and, hooooo boy. There's also magic (like, Mage-magic) and I think cyborgs.

Now I'm curious if it was regular ol' HIT Marks or something new.

(In the original Progenitors book, they had cloned Sabertooth Tigers - Cybertooth Tigers - with lasers I believe. I want them back immediately.)

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

Warthur posted:

I would totally run the "party of ex-adventurers who own their own tavern" campaign. Weird guests, backlashes from failed quests by adventuring parties who start out from the tavern, shakedowns from the local mob, city politics to keep the tavern licence... I'd call it It's Always Sunny In Waterdeep.

This is amazing and I love it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

Now I'm curious if it was regular ol' HIT Marks or something new.

(In the original Progenitors book, they had cloned Sabertooth Tigers - Cybertooth Tigers - with lasers I believe. I want them back immediately.)
THE TECHNOCRACY: We are the only reasonable alternative, when you use a flush toilet or wash the poo poo off your hands you support our ideology, is not our STEM imagery sufficient to make all the internet arguments prove we are the true heroes of reason and critical thinking?
ALSO THE TECHNOCRACY: Yo I made some intelligent lizard people to wander around my interdimensional drug grow up. They got souls and everything.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Frankly I enjoy light bulbs too much to ever support the Traditions

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nessus posted:

THE TECHNOCRACY: We are the only reasonable alternative, when you use a flush toilet or wash the poo poo off your hands you support our ideology, is not our STEM imagery sufficient to make all the internet arguments prove we are the true heroes of reason and critical thinking?
ALSO THE TECHNOCRACY: Yo I made some intelligent lizard people to wander around my interdimensional drug grow up. They got souls and everything.

Also Also the Technocracy: Hey I made a growlithe, what do you mean why? I was bored last night. Yes it can breathe fire. he's a very good boy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Also Also the Technocracy: Hey I made a growlithe, what do you mean why? I was bored last night. Yes it can breathe fire. he's a very good boy.

I assume making cat girls is, like, grad student work for Progenitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Instead of the usual argument, I'm going to mention that I'm extremely annoyed with M20 for deciding that the Crafts weren't actually massacred, because 'the Technocracy are protagonists, and therefore it would be unsympathetic for them to have committed a pogrom.'