Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

"Steam is bad. What if the servers ever go down? I don't own the game I'm only renting it." but limiting the number of computers you can install it on (apparently servers used to generate activation codes don't count) and requiring manual emails to reauthorize if you go over the limit is different and okay apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Switching to a more interesting RtW note rather than just bemoaning the foolishness of grog devs...

The ship designs the AI uses in RtW 1 are based on two things, the designs the player builds (it can and will copy your designs and make modifications) and some predefined template designs. These templates are saved in basically the same format as player designs get saved during a campaign. At one point I had considered collecting various player designs from goons and modifying them slightly for use as additional AI templates, though I never got around to it before I lost interest and decided it too much effort*. I presume RtW2 will use basically the same template system, so I'm considering resurrecting this idea for the sequel.

* The majority of the effort lies in figuring out which rough "tech era" any given design belongs in, as the AI template designs are divided as such. My idea at the time had been to create a set of saves for each "tech era" and design ships/have others design ships based on that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Random thought RE: UBoat. Given the game has the ability to send officers and helper crew over to other ships (such as investigating a derelict Type-VII found floating off France) it'd be interesting if the game encouraged/forced the player to adhere to Prize Regulations in the opening months of the war.

Probably wouldn't be fun though.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It would be fun if you got prize money and could spend it on fancy new clothes, a new sword. Maybe a parrot

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
It is so gross that they are going to include DRM like they are. I despise how developers punish people with that crap.

He already gives bad service by making you wait for a serial number. Why tack on even more hoops?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Lord Windy posted:

It is so gross that they are going to include DRM like they are. I despise how developers punish people with that crap.

He already gives bad service by making you wait for a serial number. Why tack on even more hoops?

http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/1936/running-rtw-on-personal-computers?page=1

quote:

Hi all,

First... We are not novices about PCs and the industry. Both WM and myself have been around PCs since the early 1980s and we have done our homework extensively plus we both, and other business relations that we have, have some backgrounds in PC internet, gaming security, and wargaming that goes back for decades.

Second.. The system we are working with is very simple and easy to use and will allow all to instantly play RTW2 after download for a certain time length while you wait for the final registration unlock code. No more waiting for me to manually email an install code before you can start playing. So.. you start playing, get the final registration code while playing after you email the request for it, and keep playing. That is the simple plan.

Third.. Yes we are looking at going with the original licencing arrangement of up to 2 personal PCs at any given time so those of you, much like ourselves, can have your laptop and desktop available to play RTW2. We just need to finalize how the technical parts will work out but we do not see that being a problem.

Fourth.. We will not involve a third party as part of our business operations. That is a final decision.

If there are any questions please let us know.

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS Wargaming Store

so in short, they're pulling a battlefront and assuming that any wisdom they gained being a tiny grog dev in 1980 is still relevant today/was ever relevant in the first place.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I barely trust Valve to keep my games available in 5 years. I don't trust A Guy With A Mailing Address to do it

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Yeah that's it.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Yeah, i'm not buying this anymore because that really rubs me the wrong way.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Realistically it seems like a lot of the people that buy it are just gonna download the cracked version once it comes out to save themselves the trouble.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

LostCosmonaut posted:

Realistically it seems like a lot of the people that buy it are just gonna download the cracked version once it comes out to save themselves the trouble.

Sadly if their homebrew DRM bullshit proves troublesome I will probably do this. I will be buying it though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LostCosmonaut posted:

Wargames. Wargames never change.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
And then they can justify an ever harsher DRM next time around. Fun for everyone.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wow, it's literally that they are brokebrains from the 1980s who don't know technology has advanced in the last 40 years.

That's crazy.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I will be buying it though.

Yeah obviously. I still want to support them even if their DRM policy is stupid as poo poo.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Man this is like when DRM started to be really annoying all over again, it was so nice to not have to think about that for the last few years

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Switching to a more interesting RtW note rather than just bemoaning the foolishness of grog devs...

The ship designs the AI uses in RtW 1 are based on two things, the designs the player builds (it can and will copy your designs and make modifications) and some predefined template designs. These templates are saved in basically the same format as player designs get saved during a campaign. At one point I had considered collecting various player designs from goons and modifying them slightly for use as additional AI templates, though I never got around to it before I lost interest and decided it too much effort*. I presume RtW2 will use basically the same template system, so I'm considering resurrecting this idea for the sequel.

* The majority of the effort lies in figuring out which rough "tech era" any given design belongs in, as the AI template designs are divided as such. My idea at the time had been to create a set of saves for each "tech era" and design ships/have others design ships based on that.

I think people have done this, yeah. Isn’t there a mod you can find over on their forums that adds new AI templates?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Oh gently caress YOU.

Silent Hunter III could have been so great :germany:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Pirate Radar posted:

I think people have done this, yeah. Isn’t there a mod you can find over on their forums that adds new AI templates?

Oh did someone else do that eventually? I guess I'll take a look later. Maybe.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I can't wait to see how quickly and easily their derpy amateur homebrew DRM is cracked :allears:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

will any of the actual major groups even notice rtw2

who knows

quote:

The system we are working with is very simple and easy to use and will allow all to instantly play RTW2 after download for a certain time length while you wait for the final registration unlock code.

I'm going to laugh if this lets you break the drm with a memory editor.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

who knows

Change your date to 2030 and start the game for the first time after install. Revert your time back to 2019 and continue playing for the next 11 years.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Stairmaster posted:

who knows

I'm expecting that it's going to be something one step up from trivial that you don't have to be a major cracking group to break

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh did someone else do that eventually? I guess I'll take a look later. Maybe.

I’m not 100% sure, I just remember it being talked about.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
True DRM - people who want to buy the game thinking about removing an annoying bit of programming.

Grog programmers really know how to keep that 90's/00's feel alive, don't they!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I'm wondering if its going to be a single line of code that needs to be changed or added. Just a "isAuthenticated=true"

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
"Enter the first word in the second paragraph on page 23"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

not gonna lie if the copy protection was this I'd buy it even harder

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

"No longer will you have to wait days to receive an email with a cdkey!!!"

"Instead you will need to wait a week to receive a decoder wheel in the mail!"

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the password is swordfish

as in the plane you see

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

not gonna lie if the copy protection was this I'd buy it even harder

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Their forums even require a human to approve you!

I wasn't even going to complain. It was just to ask if RTW2 would be free to download just off the site which would be a nice way of not keeping track of all your exes

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There's people in that thread claiming that Steam is subscription-based. Frankly I just don't know.

About the download thing, I'm pretty sure I bought some Cryptic Comet games more than once, because they only give you a time-limited download and my HDD died. (2 days by default but you can pay $10 extra for a year! who'd not want that)

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
There's no way I'm not going to buy it, if it really turns out to be that much of a pain then maybe I'll pirate it too, but I suspect it won't be that much of an issue.

If they don't let you have 2 simultaneous installs though then I'm definitely pirating it for my laptop.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Private Speech posted:

There's people in that thread claiming that Steam is subscription-based. Frankly I just don't know.

About the download thing, I'm pretty sure I bought some Cryptic Comet games more than once, because they only give you a time-limited download and my HDD died. (2 days by default but you can pay $10 extra for a year! who'd not want that)

Steam is subscription based? Huh. That's new to me.

My only hope through all of this is it opens a sub-genre of grog games and someone else comes along, improves the design, and makes a "Rule the skies" for fighter jets or something. I'm sure there's a grog somewhere who invented the hex-and-counter game layout that's complaining about that Grigsby guy and his newfangled computer programs. I'm sure I'll buy the game on day one and enjoy it. But man, I hope someone iterates the whole system and makes something with a little less VB6 charm.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yooper posted:

every year around Christmas I re-up my Steam addicsubscription and Valve extracts dollars from me

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yooper posted:

My only hope through all of this is it opens a sub-genre of grog games and someone else comes along, improves the design, and makes a "Rule the skies" for fighter jets or something. I'm sure there's a grog somewhere who invented the hex-and-counter game layout that's complaining about that Grigsby guy and his newfangled computer programs. I'm sure I'll buy the game on day one and enjoy it. But man, I hope someone iterates the whole system and makes something with a little less VB6 charm.

https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/27538-ultimate-admiral-dreadnoughts-enters-testing-phase/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Yooper posted:

Rule the Skies would be a game about managing engine production and dealing with The Leader demanding a four-engine air superiority dive bomber