Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, yeah... something from the 90s using terrible 90s music in the trailer doesn't mean much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

whoa there, semi-charmed life is insanely good

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Re: Fight choreography

This is my favorite ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUpiQ-kTNPg

Donnie Yen is awesome.

They are so loving fast and intense. Think about the trust you have to have in the other actor when you do stuff like this.

colachute fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 20, 2019

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Just want to remind anyone who wants to pick on Jackie Chan that this is what awesome action punch fights looked like before Rumble in the Bronx changed the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXIe6pouJTc&t=100s

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Just want to remind anyone who wants to pick on Jackie Chan that this is what awesome action punch fights looked like before Rumble in the Bronx changed the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXIe6pouJTc&t=100s

It's not even that Jackie Chan changed the world: most movies after him didn't look like his work because most people can't do that. His standards for stuntwork and his understanding of film making was like...three steps ahead of any of his contemporaries bar Sammo.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Martman posted:

whoa there, semi-charmed life is insanely good

Yes it is, but not in the context of a martial-arts comedy movie.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also, yeah... something from the 90s using terrible 90s music in the trailer doesn't mean much

See above....
Third Eye Blind's debut album is actually underrated.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Snowman_McK posted:

Goon faceblindness strikes again

I just assumed we're talking about fight scenes in general, and hopefully their influence on the Marvel movies. I can see why you'd think...I'm implying Jackie is Jet Li though?..

It was a quick post.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MoaM posted:

I can see why you'd think...I'm implying Jackie is Jet Li though?

Because you literally said that, yes.

Then again, you started by describing a 1998 film as 'post 90s' so there's a good chance you're just drunk.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I'll make those sentences look separated next time, sorry? I can assure you I never did and never will confuse Jet Li and Jackie Chan.

Jackie is nice and funny, Jet is stony and skilled.

You don't have to throw straw-men my way; I like fight scene choreography and like to talk about it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MoaM posted:

I'll make those sentences look separated next time, sorry? I can assure you I never did and never will confuse Jet Li and Jackie Chan.

Jackie is nice and funny, Jet is stony and skilled.

You don't have to throw straw-men my way; I like fight scene choreography and like to talk about it.

You should start then.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Snowman_McK posted:

you started by describing a 1998 film as 'post 90s'

This is a fair point; I just needed a way to describe his ascent-in-the-West stuff. Some of those movies were in the late nineties, but most were in the aughts.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 20, 2019

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Snowman_McK posted:

You should start then.

The highway fight in Winter Soldier is good because there's an emotional contrast between Cap trying to take down a crazy bad-guy with tight choreography and the revelation that his friend, best friend I guess, is still around.

The timing-gimmick in Who Am I 's rooftop scene isn't funny. I don't feel that fight (or that movie, to be honest) contains any emotional weight...it just isn't the best example of good fight choreography. There's nothing wrong with liking that scene; I like it fine. It has its moments...(the tie thing and the "don't hit me"-ending)...but overall...

It's lame!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MoaM posted:

The highway fight in Winter Soldier is good because there's an emotional contrast between Cap trying to take down a crazy bad-guy with tight choreography and the revelation that his friend, best friend I guess, is still around.

The timing-gimmick in Who Am I 's rooftop scene isn't funny. I don't feel that fight (or that movie, to be honest) contains any emotional weight...it just isn't the best example of good fight choreography. There's nothing wrong with liking that scene; I like it fine. It has its moments...(the tie thing and the "don't hit me"-ending)...but overall...

It's lame!

This isn't really comparing the fight choreography though. You're moreso comparing the narrative context of the fight, which is fine. And doing that, yeah sure, the Winter Soldier fight seems to have much higher emotional stakes, thus making the fight have deeper meaning. It also helps that most people have an emotional investment in both characters fighting since this would be their 2nd film/3rd in with them (maybe not so much for Bucky, but still). That said, while the fights in Winter Soldier are pretty good, the Who Am I rooftop right scene, to me, is far better on a technical level with regards to camera work and actual fight choreography, timing gimmicks and all.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Pullin' into this thread like...

I will not stand for Who Am I being called lame. The rooftop fight owns but the Rotterdam street fight is loads of fun too. Who doesn't like the clog fight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIye-_5BCQY

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

colachute posted:

Re: Fight choreography

This is my favorite ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUpiQ-kTNPg

Donnie Yen is awesome.

They are so loving fast and intense. Think about the trust you have to have in the other actor when you do stuff like this.

This is really great. It does require a lot of trust. One of the things if you notice is depending on how good or bad the coreography is, they go after and attack the weapons and that happens away from the body. They're not lunging or having a point of connection at the body but above or around it and their motion is to have the weapons hit versus lunging and going for the body. Does that make sense?

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
Re fight choreography

https://youtu.be/oxw1ZhBUGN4

I love how desperate the whole thing feels, and how it lacks grace thanks to the mud. I can watch Iko in anything, i paid a dollar yday for beyond skylibe bc it had his name on it

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I really like the Raid fight scenes, particularly the last fight from the first one, because they're really not ashamed of how choreographed they are. There's no pretense that you're watching an actual fight or obsession with realism, it's like really good pantomime or theatre, it's all in service of telling the story.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

I really like the Raid fight scenes, particularly the last fight from the first one, because they're really not ashamed of how choreographed they are. There's no pretense that you're watching an actual fight or obsession with realism, it's like really good pantomime or theatre, it's all in service of telling the story.

I spent a long time trying to figure out why the last fight in the first one feels so desperate and the answers actually beautifully simple: Mad Dog never tries to improve his position. He never tries to stand up or escape grips, he just fights from there. Once he's hurt them from whatever position he's in, then he moves. It gives the impression that you can't even really contain him, because, even if you do, you're still fighting him.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
And that’s kind of key depending on what you’re intending. Real fights are messy and ugly as hell. You have the fights in something like Saving Private Ryan or something like the Raid versus some of the elaborate martial arts movies like Crouching Tiger or something that’s more like dance and hitting your spots like Jackie Chan’s for light fun movies.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Snowman_McK posted:

I spent a long time trying to figure out why the last fight in the first one feels so desperate and the answers actually beautifully simple: Mad Dog never tries to improve his position. He never tries to stand up or escape grips, he just fights from there. Once he's hurt them from whatever position he's in, then he moves. It gives the impression that you can't even really contain him, because, even if you do, you're still fighting him.

Yeah and it blends in well with the larger story of the fight, the brothers trusting one another and looking out for each other.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah and it blends in well with the larger story of the fight, the brothers trusting one another and looking out for each other.

And, feeding into that, every time one of the brother's draws Mad Dog off, they get badly smacked for it. It's one of the few final fights that really makes you wonder if the heroes are going to run out of gas before the villain does.

Man, the Raid is so friggin good.

Gatts posted:

And that’s kind of key depending on what you’re intending. Real fights are messy and ugly as hell. You have the fights in something like Saving Private Ryan or something like the Raid versus some of the elaborate martial arts movies like Crouching Tiger or something that’s more like dance and hitting your spots like Jackie Chan’s for light fun movies.

Exactly, it's establishing story and character through fight scenes. If you contrast Mad Dog with Prakoso in the second film, played by the same actor, you can see the difference. Prakoso fights in a much more precise, restrained way, because his character is convinced he can be a killer and a good person. As he gets desperate in the restaurant fight, that falls away and his style gets messy.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

teagone posted:

This isn't really comparing the fight choreography though. You're moreso comparing the narrative context of the fight, which is fine.

Don't think the two can be separated when we're talking about film fights.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MoaM posted:

You have proved you can separate it by not talking about the choreography at all.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MoaM posted:

Sure you can, much in the same way I can separate visual artistry from narrative in film and judge each accordingly on their own merits.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Gatts posted:

This is really great. It does require a lot of trust. One of the things if you notice is depending on how good or bad the coreography is, they go after and attack the weapons and that happens away from the body. They're not lunging or having a point of connection at the body but above or around it and their motion is to have the weapons hit versus lunging and going for the body. Does that make sense?

It does makes sense. Afaik, it's also fairly rare to see those weapon choices being choreographed in any action film; that's a big part of the appeal.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

teagone posted:

Sure you can, much in the same way I can separate visual artistry from narrative in film and judge each accordingly on their own merits.

Sure, I don't really watch film like that, personally.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Who Am I has an objectively great fight scene just like Raiders has an objectively great action sequence. Those things become mini-movies in themselves in that the action scene tells a complete story in itself. I'd say Who Am Is is even better than Drunken Master 2s for Chan

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

What's weird is that, of the people I know who are planning to see it and are excited to do so, none of them has actually said that the movie is going to be good. It's loving weird. It's purely anecdotal, but still.
I think you're exaggerating, and I also think the movie will be good and enjoyable.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
It's going to be the best movie of all time

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Daddy Thanos posted:

It's going to be the best movie of all time

I'm going to go and have fun but it won't even be the best movie of April 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm going to go and have fun but it won't even be the best movie of April 2019

it is not even going to be the best entry into a long-running media series featuring action, quips and goofy costumes that features a plot centered around time travel that comes out that week

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

it is not even going to be the best entry into a long-running media series featuring action, quips and goofy costumes that features a plot centered around time travel that comes out that week

Curious what this is

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Curious what this is

Mortal Kombat 11's story mode.

[edit] I grew up playing lots of MK 1 through 3 with my brother, and we watched the lovely movie so many times over, so the launch trailer for MK 11 was hype as gently caress for me. The music adds so much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQFZC6dzauM

I don't even plan on playing MK11 because I don't play much video games anymore, but I do plan on watching a playthrough stream of the story mode.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 21, 2019

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

I think you're exaggerating, and I also think the movie will be good and enjoyable.

Again, it's purely annecdotal. They'll say things like 'this is significant' but not comment on the quality. I'm sure, if I pressed them on it, they'd say they think it'll be good, but it's weird that none of them do it unprompted.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm actually looking forward to it hearing that it's 3 hours long and has Return of the King level ending fatigue, I've seen so many blockbusters lately get hacked to pieces for the sake of fitting an arbitrary measure that I could go for something more self-indulgent.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm actually looking forward to it hearing that it's 3 hours long and has Return of the King level ending fatigue, I've seen so many blockbusters lately get hacked to pieces for the sake of fitting an arbitrary measure that I could go for something more self-indulgent.

you want an indulgent 3 hour comic book film, then have I got the movie for you.

It's called "Batman Versus Superman: The Dawn Of Justice: The Ultimate Cut"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DC Murderverse posted:

you want an indulgent 3 hour comic book film, then have I got the movie for you.

I've got it, it's loving great.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

Watchmen Super Duper Ultra Cut with Black Freighter is better.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd prefer a quick verse of Yub Nub and roll credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hemsworth looks old as balls.

e: no gently caress, this is Pine, Pratt.... Evans... too many of these Chris fuckers.